• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
It's always struck me as strange that the FTC was not involved more in Autodesk buying up so much of its competition. It'll be an interesting case study down the line if only a non-profit, open source software structure such as Blender was able to make progress in the market and re-introduce competition.

Yeah. There really needs to be more competition to Autodesk especially my field. Some of the bugs they leave in Revit are just bizarre. I've frequently encountered bugs that are first mentioned in forum posts from over 10 years ago. My first job out of grad school is literally writing software scripts to fix modeling issues the team is having in Revit in a really complex project.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I think I may have posted this before, but yeah, I tried so hard to learn blender pre-2.80, and it did not get it until 2.80. The UI change, combined with the more fun and short tutorials ("Lazy tutorial"/Cgmatter style) is how I was able to become a regular user.

3DWorld does reach my country, but I have not set foot in a magazine store since the initial lockdown. Guess it's time to make a visit.
HA! I too am an IanHubert convert.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blender 2.92 will have new node tools that they're developing for their next movie

This iteration implements the initial nodes required for the "scattering pebbles" use case. Artists will be able to set-dress their scenes by randomly placing simple assets, then tweaking a variety of parameters for full artistic control. A total of 24 nodes are available initially, and more will come.

Coming next is the support of "trees and flowers". In this case different assets that need to co-exist in the same set will be combined. As well as scattering of full collections instead of individual objects.

code.blender.org

Nodes Modifier Part I: Sprites — Developer Blog

This initial milestone will focus on the features that can be used by the Blender Studio.
code.blender.org

Everything Nodes and the Scattered Stone — Developer Blog

The much anticipated first installment of the everything nodes projects is finally integrated.

also, I didn't know, but they announced their next movie, Sprite Fright some time ago

cloud.blender.org

Sprite Fright - Blender Studio

When a group of rowdy teenagers trek into an isolated forest, they discover peaceful mushroom creatures that turn out to be an unexpected force of nature.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I need to learn Blender. I'm told it's also great for compositing, or even animating as a replaement for After Effects or Apple Motion.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
has anyone done blender grooms + ue4?

follow up....

is there a smarter way to convert the hair curves to meshes? It takes about 30 mins and freezes up blender.

Edit: Blender Guru???!? how could you!

ian hubert seems ok...

I need to learn Blender. I'm told it's also great for compositing, or even animating as a replaement for After Effects or Apple Motion.

Compositing seemed a little clunky/laggy. compared to nuke/ae... but im sure it was some setting I didn't have setup in blender and an obvious array of 100 shortcut keys.. lol. People make it work though. Such an impressive software.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this sucks... (long twitter thread so click to see more)

giphy-18.gif

can't have shit without people showing their ass

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
has anyone done blender grooms + ue4?

follow up....

is there a smarter way to convert the hair curves to meshes? It takes about 30 mins and freezes up blender.

Edit: Blender Guru???!? how could you!

ian hubert seems ok...

Compositing seemed a little clunky/laggy. compared to nuke/ae... but im sure it was some setting I didn't have setup in blender and an obvious array of 100 shortcut keys.. lol. People make it work though. Such an impressive software.
Price point though :)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll have to be more picky on who I watch on YouTube.

I've been looking at transitioning from LightWave to Blender, but man, moving to a new software is rough. Sure, the fundamentals are all the same no matter what package you use, but it's hard figuring out where all the buttons are and how to do things that are second nature using a completely different set of buttons, commands, and shortcuts. I mean, I can get nice looking renders in Blender, a lot better than a straight beginner would, but it does take a hell of a lot longer.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Price point though :)
Of course!

Id love for someone to chime in for compositing. I gave it a go, was just doing some 720p jpgs and an object with an alpha and it was a little laggy. Again with most things blender, there's probably a setting I did not activate. The concept and workflow was cool. Having nodes on top of the image is interesting approach.

For price point there is digital fusion which has a free non watermarked version iirc. I'm mainly doing unreal stuff at home so not too much compositing. I do nuke as profession. But if blender was an option once I get to that point that would be great.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
It's been a while now, but it still boggles my mind that Blender is completely free and yet offers so many features that easily rival MAX, Maya and ZBrush. Will have to check it out soon.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the CG Boost peeps are better as I paid money for their beginner course and I'm really learning a lot from it. Guru guys donut series was great but its a shame he turned out to be so problematic.

Dec 25, 2018
That is a shame, his donut tutorial helped make Blender click for me... Those alternatives mentioned are all good.
EDIT: CG Boosts tutorial is a good (healthier) alternative to the donut healthier

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Not surprised about Guru, I think one of his non-tutorial videos when he talked about drawing he may have mentioned someting that seemed off to me, but can't remember which video. Never did the donut tutorial, but did watch his other content whenever I needed a reference to something. Still, dissapointing.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
So I'm trying to learn how to use Blender, after 5 years without touching a 3D modeling software (last I used was 3DS Max). I'm quite enjoying it so far, but I'm trying to go through all the tedious technical tutorials in order to have a good grasp of all the tools I have at my disposition, and then I'll allow myself to experiment again. So far, it's mostly down to: me listening to videos and taking notes in a notebook.

Thankfully even Blender's official tutorials are extremely precise and well-made, and that's so nice! But feel free to share any if you think it might benefit my progress even more! Thanks in advance :D

MegaZubat

Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody save the Blender Guru tweets? What did they say? Those tutorials are what got me into Blender and I don't want to share them around if they are problematic...

Dec 25, 2018
Modeling/sculpting for now! Mostly human sculpting, but I'd love to learn environmental too :D

Grant Abbit has a range of modelling and some sculpting videos
Grant Abbitt - YouTube
Polygon Runway mostly focuses on time-lapses of Diorama scenes.
Polygon Runway - YouTube
Its not Blender specific, but Stylized Station has tutorials and breakdown videos on modelling and texturing characters, props and environments from a range of artists with the focus on handpainted styles.
Stylized Station - YouTube

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Grant Abbit has a range of modelling and some sculpting videos
Grant Abbitt - YouTube
Polygon Runway mostly focuses on time-lapses of Diorama scenes.
Polygon Runway - YouTube
Its not Blender specific, but Stylized Station has tutorials and breakdown videos on modelling and texturing characters, props and environments from a range of artists with the focus on handpainted styles.
Stylized Station - YouTube

Thanks so very much for all this, I'll threadmark and check them when I'll be done with the ones I'm currently doing! Much appreciated :D

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
What happened with blenderguru guy?
I've watched a few back when I first started learning blender.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'll say this about blender guru - I started out watching his tutorials but moved away because I really didn't like how he targeted beginners and then would make them think that his proprietary expensive addons were the only way to model something right. It's not as bad nowadays, but he had some snake oil approach that I wasn't a fan of. This isn't a big deal exactly but I always hated that.

That said I have no idea what the tweets said and google doesn't turn up anything.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Any advice for beginning 3D in general please. x_X
Been really meaning to try.

Literally just dive in. Think of a project and get it done. Marvel at your ability to make that which didn't exist previously. Think about how your work can improve and then fix your next project in this manner. Make imperfect work repeatedly, in a couple years you'll be a god.

It's like coding, learn how to google your problems. Don't copy tutorials. Copy methods to create your own work.

broadwayrock

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he had a tutorial where he just started talking about how he missed a certain homophic slur, and hoping it could make a comeback (allegedly he much later edited that part out using the youtube editor). The other stuff I rather not repeat without the tweets at hand, but know that he is a fan of Jordan Peterson.

He also bothsided the Washington riots saying BLM are just as bad.

What happened to the original tweets that pointed it all out?

I think she was getting abuse from his anti cancel culture followers

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Finally downloaded blender and I'm ready to get started. Thanks for the links above. I was looking at some videos and sometimes the items in the video are out of date when a new version is released.

Dec 25, 2018
Finally downloaded blender and I'm ready to get started. Thanks for the links above. I was looking at some videos and sometimes the items in the video are out of date when a new version is released.
Most of the biggest changes happened with the move to 2.8, so any tutorials that list that as that version and up thats being used you should be fine with.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on Maya for going on 10 years and I still fear Blender and it's UI. I need to get over that initial hump and just dive in.