• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
Having played it a fair bit, I'll put my 2c down,

- Fantastic character design.
- Solid gameplay with a decent amount of depth (parry and evade system).
- Class abilities make each character unique to play, but I can't say I've seen the rock-paper-scissors strategy of other class based games.
- Maps are functional, but that's about all.
- Two game modes, but neither of them 'click' in the way Overwatch's modes do.
- No skill based matchmaking leads to a real mix of abilities in teams - good individuals can steamroll teams, or one bad support character can ruin the dynamic.

Ultimately, it's a solid gamepass game which, if supported, has the elements of a game that could build a decent competitive community following. Maps, game modes and uneven teams currently stop this.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Does it really matter how many people are streaming it? Being the kind of game this is I think the focus should be on how many are playing it, which is also low, but still.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
I like the idea of the game and the look of the gameplay but the visual design is atrocious (note: this is my personal opinion). Feels like the theme of the brief was 'edgy Overwatch'. It's like DmC again where it somehow ends up more corny than the original despite the clear intention of it being otherwise. I can't find a single character I appreciate in terms of visuals and that's important to me in these hero brawlers. Reminds me of Battleborn a little bit aesthetically.

Yuber

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Ninja theory are very lucky they were bought by MS before this game released. If it weren't for Gamepass this would have bombed and hit them hard.

it looks like it bombed anyway.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I actually decently like this game... I don't play it often, but free on Gamepass definitely scratches an itch once in a while. The games end up pretty samey feeling though, so I can only last a few rounds.
Also the bigger pink hair wheel lady, is overpowered as hell. If you dont have her you lose it seems... also she has a terrible design.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Having played it a fair bit, I'll put my 2c down,

- Fantastic character design.
- Solid gameplay with a decent amount of depth (parry and evade system).
- Class abilities make each character unique to play, but I can't say I've seen the rock-paper-scissors strategy of other class based games.
- Maps are functional, but that's about all.
- Two game modes, but neither of them 'click' in the way Overwatch's modes do.
- No skill based matchmaking leads to a real mix of abilities in teams - good individuals can steamroll teams, or one bad support character can ruin the dynamic.

Ultimately, it's a solid gamepass game which, if supported, has the elements of a game that could build a decent competitive community following. Maps, game modes and uneven teams currently stop this.

That's all I think about it too.

I hope they add in the future payload maps and some kind of PvE mode.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja theory are very lucky they were bought by MS before this game released. If it weren't for Gamepass this would have bombed and hit them hard.

All of their recent products before MS came into the picture were designed to be cost constricted and efficient with staff, I highly doubt they had a lot riding on this game. It's likely that it was made with a team smaller than that of Hellblade, which IIRC was maybe 15-20 people, so the game does not need to sell like hotcakes to cover development and be profitable.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I am pretty sure NT wouldn't have released the game. Maybe straight to mobile where the game might have had more success?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm guessing everyone who's never heard about this game before this thread doesn't watch Microsoft's E3 press conferences?

The vast majority of them are untrue, tbh. Ahead of the E3 presser, there was also Massive thread here when the game leaked and folks kept claiming MS forced NT to make it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, now FPS means any multiplayer game featuring a cast of playable characters with unique abilities - Bleeding Edge is an FPS along with League of Legends and Street Fighter.
lol. Like I get it. Overwatch popularized the idea of MOBA style heroes in something other than MOBAs (even if it wasn't the first to do heroes in an FPS), but come on. Reminds me of that period of time where whenever saw a hero based game they immediately assumed it was a MOBA despite it obviously not being one (Nosgoth for example).

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually came into this thread thinking we were talking about a podcast or a specific streamer.

The fact I didn't think "video game" is telling here. The name of the game sounds like a Twitch streamer :p

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
29d.jpg
Omg

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man been playing this game non stop the past 3 to 4 days. Once you get the hang of it it's so fantastic.

I feel like gamepass maybe did a disservice to this game as a lot of people probably never made it after a couple rounds and it's impossible to figure it out by then.

It needs a proper ranked mode and much more/better unlocks but this is scratching that overwatch itchs for me maybe even more than overwatch did

Last edited:

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised, really. Some of the ideas are pretty interesting in their own right, but oh boy the aesthetic is bad and Ninja Theory's attempts at making "edgy" content usually ends up being divisive (I myself think they suck at it and really should stop trying). Also, I hear the game really puts an emphasis on coordination and teamwork, which doesn't work in public matchmaking.

lol. Like I get it. Overwatch popularized the idea of MOBA style heroes in something other than MOBAs (even if it wasn't the first to do heroes in an FPS), but come on. Reminds me of that period of time where whenever saw a hero based game they immediately assumed it was a MOBA despite it obviously not being one (Nosgoth for example).
Ah, but every online multiplayer game with combat of some kind is a MOBA. But that's because "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena" is a stupidly broad descriptor and the result of Riot not wanting League to be labeled a DOTA clone (even if said label is almost entirely accurate) but somehow couldn't be bothered to come up with anything better.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, but every online multiplayer game with combat of some kind is a MOBA. But that's because "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena" is a stupidly broad descriptor and the result of Riot not wanting League to be labeled a DOTA clone (even if said label is almost entirely accurate) but somehow couldn't be bothered to come up with anything better.
It's a dumb and broad descriptor but most genre names are. Aren't the vast majority of ALL videogames fighting, action, and adventure games technically after all? I think most of the people who miss attributed MOBA to games barely understood what a MOBA (or DOTA-like) actually was, or they weren't paying enough attention to the game they were applying that label to. Just like today with Overwatch, they saw heroes and automatically jumped to the MOBA conclusion. I'm half-way convinced that if Bleeding Edge actually had been a MOBA, people would still be calling it an Overwatch clone and a shooter.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a dumb and broad descriptor but most genre names are. Aren't the vast majority of ALL videogames fighting, action, and adventure games technically after all? I think most of the people who miss attributed MOBA to games barely understood what a MOBA (or DOTA-like) actually was, or they weren't paying enough attention to the game they were applying that label to. Just like today with Overwatch, they saw heroes and automatically jumped to the MOBA conclusion. I'm half-way convinced that if Bleeding Edge actually had been a MOBA, people would still be calling it an Overwatch clone and a shooter.
Most genres in general, not just in gaming, are deliberately broad and simple by design, and that's not a detriment. 'Action' and 'adventure' are highly broad but they make sense because they're so broad, they're heavily focused on action and adventure elements. 'Fighting' technically means any sort of martial conflict, but even newcomers to the medium generally think "two people beating each other up" when it comes to 'fighting'. MOBA, on the other hand, is both simultaneously broad as hell in what the name describes and yet it's also supposed to only apply to a specific type of game, aka the gameplay pioneered by DOTA. It's stupid and I can't believe it's gone unchallenged for so long.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Most genres in general, not just in gaming, are deliberately broad and simple by design, and that's not a detriment. 'Action' and 'adventure' are highly broad but they make sense because they're so broad, they're heavily focused on action and adventure elements. 'Fighting' technically means any sort of martial conflict, but even newcomers to the medium generally think "two people beating each other up" when it comes to 'fighting'. MOBA, on the other hand, is both simultaneously broad as hell in what the name describes and yet it's also supposed to only apply to a specific type of game, aka the gameplay pioneered by DOTA. It's stupid and I can't believe it's gone unchallenged for so long.
I disagree a bit but I don't think we need to get in to it here. I will say that I think MOBA as an acronym is specifically why it caught on and why most people don't question how broad it is for a specific genre because most people couldn't even tell you what it stands for. So "MOBA" takes on as much meaning as "DOTA" to people unfamiliar or just learning about it since it becomes a word representing the genre instead of an acronym. Kind of like how people think of "GIF" or "JPEG" as words instead of acronyms.

And I'd consider MOBA pretty permanently set at this point. That ship has sailed. Anything else that comes along now is going to feel just as forced.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In a way I'm quite happy. The day cannot come soon enough when "viewers" are removed from gaming as a measure of success or an influence on game design. It should be entirely irrelevant.

And why do you think Bleeding Edge doing horribly will help accomplish that?

Or what is that you are happy about?

OT: I had heard of the game but I didn't know it was out myself... marketing matters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Derfy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care I've fun with it and can find a game in less than a minute ❤️
Streamer don't add anything to my enjoyement.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
considering how much $$$$ MS supposedly paid Ninja to switch to Mixer I'm surprised there wasn't a mandate for him to stream their multiplayer games sometimes...