• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Arena games are a dead genre when even the Quake brand can't find an audience and Epic ends up abandoning Unreal Tournament 4. So I don't see this as surprising, but I also don't think Twitch numbers mean much. Also Steam doesn't track Windows 10 or XBOX users so who knows how many people actually play the game.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the game and at least on xbox it doesn't seem to be dead. Regularly find matches within 30 seconds. I'm hoping that since it's a fairly unique game it will have a core group of regular players. It would definitely help if they released some kind of road map, seems like they're looking at the player numbers before they want to announce anything though.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass should help games like this but I think it's just as likely to harm them and make them feel throwaway. Or maybe that's what they are.

Either way, I doubt Sony is seeing much reason to jump on this particular train with Microsoft when it comes to new releases.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It'll probably be one of those games that completely disappears but has a few hundred or so big fans who are enough to keep the playerbase adequate for anyone who does want to play

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the game and at least on xbox it doesn't seem to be dead. Regularly find matches within 30 seconds. I'm hoping that since it's a fairly unique game it will have a core group of regular players. It would definitely help if they released some kind of road map, seems like they're looking at the player numbers before they want to announce anything though.

I believe it is fully crossplay with windows 10 and steam. So that helps a lot.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I feel like a lot of people saw this coming from a mile away. I always do when I see a new multiplayer game trying to bank on some other successful game by a studio not used to work in the genre.

At least it was a small game they already had before the MS acquisition.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Some of the size of the characters and how outlandish some of their specials are.

Like Jack has chainsaws in his gauntlets and wears a bike jacket.

Ok well I haven't really seen a whole lot of the finished product's gameplay so maybe thier supers are similar to something you might see in Anarchy Reigns. But the charcters designs are garbage compared to Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy.

Like just look at the charcter portraits even in thumbnail form.
bleedingedge.fandom.com

Fighters

Vs

platinumgames.fandom.com

Anarchy Reigns Characters

Anarchy Reigns charcters have distint color pallettes, and silhouettes, and large weapons that immediately tell you what that charcter is about and how they likely fight. Not so much with Bleeding Edge. The charcters in both have theming but I don't believe the designs of Bleeding edge do as much to inform you of gameplay as Anarchy Reigns.

Like, at a glance, what the heck does this charcter do?
lrggSZU.png

Which doesn't even touch on how unappealing the character designs are compared to Anarchy Reigns.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
In hindsight, they probably should have saved this one as a launch title for the new Xbox. :)
I really think that this was the best possible move. I never saw nor do I still see the reasoning behind dropping it.. now. It would have been perfect as you said for this to be a launch Xbox title, especially if this was only a 15 or so person project. They could have capitalized on everyone wanting a multiplayer game that people would want at launch. It would have also been one of "the" reasons to get the Series X.

How is it weird? Streaming numbers give us an instant and fluid snapshot of how well a game is engaging with its fanbase. You don't seem to have a problem talking about Twitch figures when it's good news, though. You bring that up quite a bit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-10am-pst-5pm-bst.128819/page-4#post-22727361
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-14#post-3708600
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-350#post-16548068
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-12#post-3704599
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-14#post-3708600

Or are you just gonna post passive aggressive bullshit whenever someone talks about anything remotely negative about an Xbox game? oke i guess
source.gif

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ok well I haven't really seen a whole lot of the finished product's gameplay so maybe thier supers are similar to something you might see in Anarchy Reigns. But the charcters designs are garbage compared to Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy.

bleedingedge.fandom.com

Fighters

Vs

platinumgames.fandom.com

Anarchy Reigns charcters have distint color pallettes, and silhouettes, and large weapons that immediately tell you what that charcter is about and how they likely fight. Not so much with Bleeding Edge. The charcters in both have theming but I don't believe the designs of Bleeding edge do as much to inform you of gameplay as Anarchy Reigns.

lrggSZU.png

Which doesn't even touch on how unappealing the character designs are compared to Anarchy Reigns.

At a glance, I can tell you I have no idea what the Anarchy Reigns characters do, and I also find them pretty garish.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleeding Edge is an awesome game, if you like MOBAs you should try it. The combat and team strategy puts me in the League of Legends mindset.

I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason it's a tough game to get into. Several of my friends tried, based on my insistence, but just couldn't get into it. I think there's a small, but reasonable, chance that the developers could fix up the game to the point where it has a resurgence. Or maybe it'll die. But that's always a risk when you make multiplayer games, there's only so much room in the space for newcomers.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Console wars; history of similar infractions
Damn MS are releasing stinkers, commercial and criticalwise, left and right this gen. At least there's gamepass to cover for this though

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

bleedingedge.fandom.com

Fighters

Vs

platinumgames.fandom.com

lrggSZU.png

Oh, I agree. Jack Is like the only good looking character. The rest are very Japanese, generic looking characters.

Ninja Theory knows how to design characters. It's one of the things that sucks about Bleeding Edge. These awesome well animated characters are in a moba style game similar to For honor gameplay game mode wise.

And the hero genre is seriously very saturated. ANd with Valarant coming out with hero's it's hard to see this game carve a piece of that online action. Should be have been a co-op campaign game with VS mode once your characters are all unlocked from playing campaign similar to power stone where your in a giant arena and can play as teams 1v1, 2v2 ect.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea that it was out and judging by the responses ITT I'm certainly not alone. I don't even know what platforms it's out on.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The game basically doesn't exist. Its not even a spectacular enough failure for anyone to remember it for that.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

How is it weird? Streaming numbers give us an instant and fluid snapshot of how well a game is engaging with its fanbase. You don't seem to have a problem talking about Twitch figures when it's good news, though. You bring that up quite a bit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-10am-pst-5pm-bst.128819/page-4#post-22727361
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-350#post-16548068
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-12#post-3704599

Or are you just gonna post passive aggressive bullshit whenever someone talks about anything remotely negative about an Xbox game? oke i guess
Ouch, feel residual embarrassment on this one.

Microsoft first party, so gamepass PC, and Xbox. Also steam.
What? Just being on Steam isn't enough for you game to be popular?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh, I agree. Jack Is like the only good looking character. The rest are very Japanese, generic looking characters.

Ninja Theory knows how to design characters. It's one of the things that sucks about Bleeding Edge. These awesome well animated characters are in a moba style game similar to For honor gameplay game mode wise.

And the hero genre is seriously very saturated. ANd with Valarant coming out with hero's it's hard to see this game carve a piece of that online action. Should be have been a co-op campaign game with VS mode once your characters are all unlocked from playing campaign similar to power stone where your in a giant arena and can play as teams 1v1, 2v2 ect.
We do not agree. Don't try to gaslight me.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it just wasn't very fun. I'm a big melee combat guy. Jedi Academy, Mount and Blade, Mordhau etc I also enjoy hero shooters and this just really do it for me. I have free access to it but haven't even downloaded it after the beta. It probably should have been fully free to play to stand more of a chance. It's just too niche.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I played it through Alpha and thought it was relatively boring. Not bad but also doesn't really do anything exciting.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Competitive combat arena games always bomb aside from the 1-3 unicorns that are smash hits. If they wanted to do a smaller scope modest budget online game they should have done a coop looter (think modernized PSO 1).

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like this game was just a stopping gap that was made by 20 people, I don't think NT or MS are gonna lose sleep over this fading into irrelevancy.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Bleeding Edge is an awesome game, if you like MOBAs you should try it. The combat and team strategy puts me in the League of Legends mindset.

I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason it's a tough game to get into. Several of my friends tried, based on my insistence, but just couldn't get into it. I think there's a small, but reasonable, chance that the developers could fix up the game to the point where it has a resurgence. Or maybe it'll die. But that's always a risk when you make multiplayer games, there's only so much room in the space for newcomers.

I entirely agree that Bleeding Edge is like a MOBA, my description of it recently was "a MOBA sans creep, sans jungle, sans shop, sans lanes, sans towers, sans a large appealing cast. Personally though as someone that has put a lot of hours into MOBAs, Bleeding Edge has removed the aspects I like in favour of the aspects I don't care for. I suspect this is the same for most people: people don't play MOBAs for the combat. Building a game which is nothing but MOBA combat was always going to be a disaster in my opinion.

I made the point before but I think the chance of Bleeding Edge making a resurgence are effectively none. The few games that have made that kind of comeback were hyped games that disappointed at launch: these were games that a lot of people wanted to be good and ultimately, when the games improved, the player base was there for them. Bleeding Edge just hasn't made an impact at all. No-one has heard of it. No-one knows its launched. No-one knows what it is. Its weak reviews weren't a surprise. There is no backlash. The general response is apathy and obliviousness.

I also just don't see how you could turn around Bleeding Edge. Destiny, Rainbow Six, Sea of Thieves, probably the best three examples of games that made comebacks, all had so much more going for them at launch. Destiny had a content problem. Rainbow Six had technical problems. Sea of Thieves had a lack of things to do. Without minimising the efforts each developer went through to to transform those games, they were all apparently fixable at launch and more than that it was clear at launch that they were worth fixing.

Bleeding Edge isn't. That's the cold-minded reality. This isn't a game brimming with potential. It's a game with a massive ceiling on its potential because of the design decisions made years ago.

It seems like this game was just a stopping gap that was made by 20 people, I don't think NT or MS are gonna lose sleep over this fading into irrelevancy.

If the developers that worked on Bleeding Edge don't care about it fading into irrelevancy, there's a really big fucking problem. It feels like some people here are trying to downplay the importance of Bleeding Edge's launch. The rhetoric that Microsoft made the right decision by allowing the development to continue and then releasing it to die in one of the most competitive release periods in many years. That notion seems to ignore that a release like this could be pretty damned painful for the people that poured their lives into making it a reality.

If Microsoft and Ninja Theory believed this project had potential, they should have taken the time to realise that potential. If they didn't believe it had potential, how did the product get this far?

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was interested in it prior to release, and played day 1 using game pass, almost have all the (easy) achievements for it.

To me, it's biggest problem is unless you have 3 friends to play with, your game will be a cluster, and its 50-50 what side you end up on. A VAST majority of the games I've played are absolute stompings, one way or the other. I can count on one hand how many even games Ive played.
this is my issue with it. the betas were fun but i could tell i needed a coordinated team, so i havent touched the final game much. its the same problem the arena mode in Sea of Thieves had before they added the duo sloop to it - if you didnt have three other people you can trust and communicate with chances are youd get super hosed

sucks because i really dig the art and characters & think the core game is fun when im on a good team

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I would play the shit out of an Anarchy Reigns remaster.

I was interested in BE exactly because it kinda looked like a new AR, but then I looked a few streams and... it really isn't. More like Overwatch with melee weapons. Instead of a full moveset each character just gets a normal attack and special abilities on cooldowns.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think the only reason MS didn't cancel it is to show good will to Ninja Theory.
Honestly I've played it for a bit and can't think of anything it has good about it compared to any other multiplayer game I've played. Its fun enough for a couple matches but the character design is ugly and the mechanics aren't all that sharp.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising at all. I really like Ninja Theory but this game has never looked appealing in the slightest for me. I'm excited for their other games in the future though.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
this is my issue with it. the betas were fun but i could tell i needed a coordinated team, so i havent touched the final game

Same. Winning or losing felt super random without a full team on voice com.

I'm glad Microsoft backed Ninja Theory with this release. It's important developers are allowed the creative freedom to do what they want.

At the end of the day, pretty sure everyone knew how this release was going to go hence no marketing from MS.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some choice quotes in here.

Bleeding Edge was a pet project at Ninja Theory made by a few people that MS supported them releasing. People are treating it like it was a tentpole release. It's pretty awesome that a group of devs inside NT can put together a cool game and get it released and when you look back through the interviews about the game, you can see that those devs were excited about their accomplishment.

It's a very competitive genre. Wish it could catch fire just for the small group of devs who made it.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this a small project being kicked around Ninja Theory by like 12 people that MS allowed them to finish and ship after the acquisition?

Edit: Ah, I see, the above quote clears it up.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
If the developers that worked on Bleeding Edge don't care about it fading into irrelevancy, there's a really big fucking problem.
Okey, am sure the actual people who worked on the game care about it, am just seeing it from resources point of view.

My logic is that, this game was made before the safety net of MS entered the picture, it's so derivative and you can feel the "we need a gaas" from NT heads.
Now that MS entered the picture, from both MS and NT POV, this feels like a project that's more less complete and might as well get it out.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A waste off money and time,

Imagine all that effort put into making a game that people actually wanted to play

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the hideous character designs may have played a part in that (thinks of hideous granny character *shudders*).

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to be closed minded because who knows what can happen, but I'd rather have Ninja Theory focus on single player games. I guess it was an experiment?

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft sent it out to die? Shocker. It was so uninteresting from that reveal and had zero marketing. Honestly I only recently found out that it came out.
Sent it out to die? Lol how? They didn't ask the devs to make it. They allowed them to finish making it instead of cancelling it. Damned if you do damn if you don't.