• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Eh, there's just too many great games right now that came out so close together, and this one looked very bland and boring. Not surprising at all.

Exactly. Between Game Pass and GwG I have a crazy backlog. I played Bleeding Edge a bit, but do I have the time to learn all the mechanics and characters? I pretty much play the same hand full games I been playing for years because I know I can jump in and have my fun and jump out.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Ori and Cuphead got tons of good marketing from MS. Those aren't major franchises.

Bleeding edge had its time in the sun with an E3 showcase and multiple open betas. Much more exposure than many successful games have received. it's also available for immediate play for a Gamepass user base that numbers in the millions across PC and Xbox.

It all came down to the quality of the game and the content. Both of which have some issues as reviewers rightly note.

I wish people didn't cite 'marketing' as the answer to everything.
Ori def a big franchise for MS now but you right about Cuphead.

When I say marketing I don't mean the game in the hands of outlets and E3 showcases. This is a team-based multiplayer game somewhat similar to Overwatch (but more fun lol), MS should of paid streamers to play this game and put the exposure out a bit more.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My issue with all this is that I really want to see more big studios do small side/passion projects. Some will hit and some will miss. And so what? That's all part of the fun of smaller teams and budgets that they can take those risks.

But the overly negative reaction to this game (and Grounded) from the very start will likely deter publishers from doing the same.

The healthy way to look at this is that a small team within a talented and established studio tried something new and it didn't quite work out. Which is a shame. But hopefully that doesn't deter them from trying something new again.

In the end, never forget that Geometry Wars was born this way. Let's accept Bleeding Edge's flaws but appreciate it was at least an admirable failure.

I'd love to see what passion project a small team within Naughty Dog or Playground could do for example.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Sometime people on this site can be mean spirited. It's a passion project that they wanted to make. Developers don't always have to do what you want
agree but that doesn't mean it isn't bad nor that opinions can't be voiced. Played it, didn't click for me, art style and overall attitude the game was going for, not only disliked those but actually hated them. For example, everyone gives GameFreak a benefit of the doubt, but every single one of their passion project has been a disaster, Town Hero being the latest one in a series of failures, it's nice that they keep trying but that doesn't mean they are good

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
My god the faux concern in this thread, I don't pretend that this game is my cup of tea but I certainly don't bear any ill will to NT for making it.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Game is decent. It was just never really supported or marketed. Team Ninja has bigger fish to fry now that they got the money.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't marketed very well and even though I was kinda excited for it, I got bored watching it on streams within minutes.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think the thing that bumbs me out, is lack of promotion for this game, and within it's modes lack of originality. Characters are cool as fuck, I love the designs reminds me of Anarchy Reigns, but it being a hero team game with a focus of teamplay for the modes is something thats been played out...
I realize the arena bases melee combat reminds people of Anarchy Reigns, I don't really think these charcter designs even compare. What reminds you of Anarchy Reigns?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I didn't know it was out. Honestly, I was never interested in it. I don't like the character designs and I'm not interested in another free-to-play game and/or service game. I've actually been dropping service games lately and the only one I'm still playing is Dragalia Lost on my phone. Even PSO2 - after all the years I've waited for it - became tiring and the FOMO turned me off.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I played the beta and I enjoyed parts of it, but I had huge issues with the flow of combat. I'm not really shocked by this at all.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
MS didnt give a shit about the game. They should have cancelled it from the get go as soon as they bought Ninja Theory, but they wanted marketing material for gamepass. Very bad time to come out as well, few game modes... and I think its an example that character designs that are super crazy just do not sell and people arent interested in them at all.

If MS cancels this then people rip oh them for interfering in working if a studio. MS allowed then to do what they wanted to do and you get posts like these.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
As of right now, middle of a Thursday, it's got 64 viewers on Mixer, fwiw.

Also, judging games based on passive streaming viewership is dumb.

All that said, even though I love NT, this game was pretty meh for me in the beta.

Mar 11, 2019
It's about being the 3rd most played game on Game Pass. Give me a link instead of a picture

Here's where I'm at, it's not there:

Most played games - Microsoft Store

Most played games – Shop these 49 items and explore Microsoft Store for great apps, games, laptops, PCs, and other devices.
I dont see bleeding edge in the top 50 most played, and also not in the gamepass most played list.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This is a team based fighting game like For Honor right? At least I remember it being announced as capitalizing on Ninja Theory's hack and slash pedigree, so that's what a pictured.

I think the characters are a bit too over the top. You can't have a cast entirely of Roadhogs and Junkrats, you need some Soldier 76s too.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
My issue with all this is that I really want to see more big studios do small side/passion projects. Some will hit and some will miss. And so what? That's all part of the fun of smaller teams and budgets that they can take those risks.

But the overly negative reaction to this game (and Grounded) from the very start will likely deter publishers from doing the same.

The healthy way to look at this is that a small team within a talented and established studio tried something new and it didn't quite work out. Which is a shame. But hopefully that doesn't deter them from trying something new again.

In the end, never forget that Geometry Wars was born this way. Let's accept Bleeding Edge's flaws but appreciate it was at least an admirable failure.

I'd love to see what passion project a small team within Naughty Dog or Playground could do for example.

Passion project doesn't mean it has to be a barebones release.
Smaller games when great and complete don't come across the criticism Bleeding Edge is taking.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
You know what's pulling better numbers on these services? Yearly sports games from years ago, bad Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy games from an eternity ago, and... Fable 3?
unknown.png

Lightning Returns is a good final fantasy game.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This does remind me of similar doom and gloom in Sea of Thieves threads shortly after its launch 2 years ago. Lots of drive-by grave tap-dancing then as well.

'Sea Of Thieves' Lost More than Half Its Players When The Xbox Game Pass Free Trial Expired
Sea of Thieves | Review Thread

Whether some in this thread "knew" Bleeding Edge was going to be a failure or not, what really matters is dev and publisher follow-up. Will the game show signs of growth or potential during the first few months if it receives good, consistent content or balancing updates from the developer and sustained community interest. If it does, then this at least could be a good Game Pass performer. Twitch/Mixer viewer stats alone can't be used as a metric for whether this will happen or not. And even Steam numbers wouldn't paint the entire picture since the game is cross-platform and has cross-platform multiplayer. The same will play out when Grounded hits, though that is being called a "Game Preview" / Early Access game. So far, Microsoft has a decent track record of sticking with titles that show potential growth (Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2). It's too early to tell whether this will be that or if it will be Crackdown 3 and peter out in a few months' time.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is it any good? I never got around to trying it
It's actually decent and what it is offering is well-done (visuals, animations, etc.).

There's just sooo little content that isn't even justified by the small price tag of 30EUR. Especially problematic when there's so much and good competition out there. It really feels like they just wanted to do such a game because... well, they wanted to and maybe to have a MP game in their references. Then the marketing was almost non-existent. Then there is the price barrier while almost any other game of that kind is free to play. The little unlockables or skins they have aren't really worth mentioning (right now there are only two skins per character and it's just a re-colour). There are no dailies, weeklies, challenges etc. It feels so bare-bones compared to other games.

You could argue that most BR games likewise don't offer much content; there's only one (big) map or two, you have a dozen of heroes like Bleeding Edge has, and seasonal events. But BR games offer a very different kind of thrill and a match 15 minutes into looks a lot more different than in Bleeding Edge. You gather equip, you feel character/gear progression within a round and of course the map itself changes because it's made from many different smaller "maps" and you're forced to rotate on the map. Arena-like shooters like CoD compensate this lack of rotation and in-match change with short and constant bursts of respawn-action and lots of different game modes that changes your approach after each match (if you want).

Bleeding Edge doesn't offer none of that with only two game modes. So it basically doesn't use the advantages of an arena-like shooter/brawler it could have used, but at the same time lacks the thrill of a BR game. Strictly speaking, it doesn't even need to be like a BR game: the Battlefield franchise manages the "problem" of static fights and maps for years with its large-scale conquest mode and especially with the Rush mode that progressively opens up the map bit by bit and give you the feel of "mission progression" beyond numbers going up (as it is in Bleeding Edge).

So bascially Bleeding Edge doesn't really offer anything that is completely new, it lacks features and content and progression and is barred behind a price. And while those 4 EUR/month isn't no big deal at all, it's still "another" subscription you have to take in order to play it. And if that wasn't enough, you have really strong multiplayer competition that, not uncritically, managed to "capture" players with their model of "fear of missing out" with their battle passes, events, in short, the whole GaaS model, that makes it even more difficult to divert from your typical game to something new that doesn't offer that kind of reward and progression at all (it offers progression, of course, but not that kind of manipulative progression that keep millions of players in your service).

The matches are fun, but ultimately that's not enough. There is this feeling of: okay, I've seen everything after a single match. And there are no crazy "Battlefield/BR/whatever moments" you will recall and you don't have the urge to jump right back into it to try again; this "just another round!" feel simply isn't there.

It's almost tragic since I really like NT's games and the game play so smoothly.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game felt unnecesary to me, and even MS marketing made it feel like that, I don't know why they bothered, unless the game was so advanced when they bought Ninja Theory that they just finished because it was a "free game" for their portafolio

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019

How is it weird? Streaming numbers give us an instant and fluid snapshot of how well a game is engaging with its fanbase. You don't seem to have a problem talking about Twitch figures when it's good news, though. You bring that up quite a bit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-10am-pst-5pm-bst.128819/page-4#post-22727361
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-14#post-3708600
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-350#post-16548068
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-12#post-3704599
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-14#post-3708600

Or are you just gonna post passive aggressive bullshit whenever someone talks about anything remotely negative about an Xbox game? oke i guess

Lol.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This is basically a button mashing game, casual in the core at his max, boring to play and especially to watch, of course it has low views.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
It's my opinion smartass. But hey if you think this will fare any better more power to you. I'd rather look forward to TOW DLC and whatever Obsidian's new AAA RPG IP will be. Grounded has "flop" written all over it. Nothing about it appeals to Obsidian's regular fanbase at all (imo), it's not even an RPG. It's another lame base building sim made by a team of 15 and just like Bleeding Edge was a "passion project" that stepped away from what NT is known for and has now flopped, Grounded feels very much in the same vein.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Bleeding Edge did not enter Xbox top 50 most popular games at any point. Gears broke into the top position, SoT was top 20 during launch and remained in the chart. Even Crackdown 3 was among the bottom for a couple of times.
Whoever bought this game, sorry for your loss: whether you liked the game or not, there is no future.

Gigantic deseverd better.

But I think for Bleeding edge it will come down to support. The core gameplay is there, but it needs content.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
It's my opinion smartass. But hey if you think this will fare any better more power to you. I'd rather look forward to TOW DLC and whatever Obsidian's new AAA RPG IP will be. Grounded has "flop" written all over it. Nothing about it appeals to Obsidian's regular fanbase at all (imo), it's not even an RPG. It's another lame base building sim made by a team of 15 and just like Bleeding Edge was a "passion project" that stepped away from what NT is known for and has now flopped, Grounded feels very much in the same vein.
Grounded has single player story content and can be played solo. Bleeding Edge is a competitive arcade multiplayer PvP game. Huge difference. Grounded fulfills inner childhood fantasies in the same vein as Toy Story or Monster Inc. Who cares that it's not what Obsidian is know for?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, until I entered this, I thought you were talking about the comic book tabloid site.

Dec 20, 2017
Played the beta and had a good time with it. Too many games, and there are other things I'd rather spend my time on.

Fun enough game but it would get pretty stale after a few hours.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How is it weird? Streaming numbers give us an instant and fluid snapshot of how well a game is engaging with its fanbase. You don't seem to have a problem talking about Twitch figures when it's good news, though. You bring that up quite a bit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-10am-pst-5pm-bst.128819/page-4#post-22727361
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-350#post-16548068
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...need-a-bigger-boat.18210/page-12#post-3704599

Or are you just gonna post passive aggressive bullshit whenever someone talks about anything remotely negative about an Xbox game? oke i guess

OQ4QeVl.gif

Oct 27, 2017

I said god damn.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a solid game but everyone could see this coming. Ninja Theory is a bomba factory.

Sad thing is with this failure it'll just reinforce that focusing on gameplay isn't the way to go and they'll double down on 'story experiences' that the press loves to fawn over even if they play like shit.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Well it seems it got Lawbreaker'd. Not surprised one bit tbh, the game looked like Game Pass filler.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Paid pvp multiplayer games has no place in today's market. Should've just launch it as f2p.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Is it *really* surprising?
The issue with GAAS, you win or you die GOT style. Not enough time to share with other more popular games asking for everyone's time unless it's a temporary time sink game like a single player game (FF7Remake for example), or a game that's isn't dependent on servers being up to work and keep players involved (Animal Crossing).

Oct 27, 2017
agree but that doesn't mean it isn't bad nor that opinions can't be voiced. Played it, didn't click for me, art style and overall attitude the game was going for, not only disliked those but actually hated them. For example, everyone gives GameFreak a benefit of the doubt, but every single one of their passion project has been a disaster, Town Hero being the latest one in a series of failures, it's nice that they keep trying but that doesn't mean they are good
That's fine. I'm not saying they have to like to, but saying it shouldn't exist or MS was silly not to cancel it etc is what I'm talking about. Or a thread about bad twitch numbers. Ok we get it it's not popular lol. I'm sure the devs know that. What's the use for this thread

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious its something MS let them finish but knew it wasnt going to be successful.