• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Gamepass can't help every game because people still have limited time and make choices....

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, it was a small project they were working on prior to their acquisition. MS had the option to either squash the game which would be a bad morale move or they help release it despite it not really being asked for by anybody. I think everyone knew from the start the game wasn't going to be that popular at all or score very highly. It's nice that the time got the game out but it's time to move on. I think that's the last we will hear from the Bleeding Edge world.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I only remember a small trailer of this being leaked during last year's E3, didn't even know this released

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it did pull good numbers, it would have been overshadowed by Valorant by now. Twitch viewing numbers don't mean much though.

Only Nintendo has a First Party game released this year with healthy viewer numbers. Bleeding Edge and Dreams seem to have flopped and the rest of the year looks bleak with all the delays unfortunately. It'll be a pretty bad year game-wise i think.

Twitch isn't everything but if your multiplayer only game is doing well it's rare that you don't also have at least some streaming sucess.

Oct 27, 2017
15 devs are highly unlikely to make a single player game that would make waves on Twitch or Era.
Heck, Obsidian's Grounded threads attract their fair share of shit posters.

That said, MS should really have made this a F2P game.
Free to play games require updates and upkeep that you otherwise wouldn't a lot to a non popular game. Also very rarely of at all do first party publishers do F2P games. And finally with gamepass, it's more valuable to bolster that roster than make it free to play and not have any micro transactions

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Wow, wow, calm down. Never said it was a bad game.
It was very, very light on content at launch, please don't rewrite history here.

But player stick with it because no alternatives. And because players stick with it, the game has a very good support. And this is how it works, if there isn't a good player base, content stop. In what world do you live ?

Again, you need to learn how this works. People don't stick with bad or unsatisfying games 'because there's no alternative'. There are plenty of alternative games, across alternative genres that compete for players time.

Rainbow Six Siege wasn't a success at launch. Content issues too. There were alternative FPS games at the time. People stuck to it because it showed promise, and the core was pretty good. Not because the game held them hostage.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Gamepass can't help every game because people still have limited time and make choices....
I think it actually does, as matchmaking times are in the seconds. I'm playing the game every evening for a few matches, as it's fun it short bursts. I highly doubt this would be the case without Game Pass.

The game is #3 on the most downloaded/played(?) Game Pass games chart.

It's obvious the game isn't setting the world on fire, but the player base seems very healthy right now. Needs regular content updates to keep that of course.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I mean MS really couldn't just make NT cancel the project, would be a pretty bad first impression after the acquisition so they probably just let them at least finish it and full steam ahead on future projects.

Honestly had no idea this was a paid game though.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't give up on it. It's still really fast to find a match and i've playing it everyday. It's so fun.

I mean MS really couldn't just make NT cancel the project, would be a pretty bad first impression after the acquisition so they probably just let them at least finish it and full steam ahead on future projects.

I don't really follow? It's clearly a special project for the team and for Rahni Tucker. Why would anyone cancel it?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's only the reflection of a situation

No it isn't. Its disingenuous twisting of the truth to suit a narrative. First game of obsidian under microsoft was The Outer Worlds by the way. Are you going to sing them praises for Psychonauts 2 when it releases despite microsoft having zero to do with the quality on it? Of course you won't, but its totally fair to blame them for Bleeding Edge i guess.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd have to be crazy to make a game that goes up against the likes of Counter Strike, LoL CS, OW and the Battle Royales at this stage. They're so ingrained in the Twitch / competitive community that anything else getting a look in is highly unlikely.

I fear MS wants the new Halo to be the new online hotness and although I think the campaign will be well received by critics, I think the multiplayer portion will fail miserably for the same reasons.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really see any marketing outside of the announcement so this isn't that surprising.

Hopefully the developers can do something similar to Rising Thunder's devs so the game doesn't completely die when the servers go down.

Not having reviews for a multiplayer game before it is released has also been detrimental to its success.

Wow, really?

I'm still surprised companies do this unless it's a game they think is terrible.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for the devs but honestly even Stevie Wonder could see this coming from a mile away.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer only games are a huge risk. Unlike single player games, you can't put them on sale and hope to recover some of your money. With a multiplayer game if it doesn't hit at launch, and get a strong player-base, then its dead.

And if you think Bleeding Edge's numbers are grim, then even Sony - with all their might and the advantage of their strong PS4 install base - had an even bigger multiplayer only flop last year with ReadySet Heroes (which only has 230 Twitch followers). In fact, it flopped so hard that there wasn't even a thread to talk about how hard it flopped.

So, will be interesting to see how Predator: Hunting Grounds performs when it releases in a couple of weeks. At least it's got a popular IP on its side, so it shouldn't have any excuses in terms of getting some attention at least, but won't have the advantage of Game Pass.

Predator Hunting Grounds is garbage.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
gamepass kept tweeting about this game, but that was literally the only publicity i saw for it.

there isn't room for another game like this

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I had no idea it was even out. Not that it makes much of a difference since it looked a bit shit to begin with, so I wouldn't have been interested anyway.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
While streaming numbers mean almost nothing (one big streamer can boost a game into the thousands of viewers) I'm not surprised the game isn't doing well. The only reason I ever tried it was the Gamepass application on my PC decided to keep telling me it came out so I tried it. The game is fluid and kind of fun for a small period of time, but for this type of game the matches take way too long. On top of that fights can take forever as well if you have a semi smart healer on each side. It leads to the matches becoming very tedious. Who knows maybe it will pick up somehow but now that Valorant is all over the place I really doubt it.

Aug 26, 2018

I think we need a MUCH broader view of how to view Bleeding Edge.

1. We have no idea how many players Gamepass brought
2. Steam numbers are MIA (~ 20-50k if we take Steamspy)
3. Its included in xCloud, its basically now available in 20+ countries
4. It had a long insider program, we don't know how many people came through there.(It did have a dedicated base)
5. Its a GaaS title which will be serviced for a LONG LONG time. ( SoD2, SoT are prime examples )
6. Game had a low budget, am sure its below 5 million all things considered.

So, we need to look at numbers in 2 yrs to see where the game is, right now its all too vague and I don't think the playerbase is that big yet even with all these options.

So far, its definitely not doing as they thought especially on Twitch/Mixer. Not 1 big name streamer stuck to it.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
A new multiplayer IP that's yet another hero shooter in 2020 was always going to be an uphill battle.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really follow? It's clearly a special project for the team and for Rahni Tucker. Why would anyone cancel it?

Because they could have made them focus on other projects instead. I was just saying I was glad that the team was able to finish it because you never know with acquisitions. Like you said it was a special project for the team.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars
Multiplayer only games are a huge risk. Unlike single player games, you can't put them on sale and hope to recover some of your money. With a multiplayer game if it doesn't hit at launch, and get a strong player-base, then its dead.

And if you think Bleeding Edge's numbers are grim, then even Sony - with all their might and the advantage of their strong PS4 install base - had an even bigger multiplayer only flop last year with ReadySet Heroes (which only has 230 Twitch followers). In fact, it flopped so hard that there wasn't even a thread to talk about how hard it flopped.

So, will be interesting to see how Predator: Hunting Grounds performs when it releases in a couple of weeks. At least it's got a popular IP on its side, so it shouldn't have any excuses in terms of getting some attention at least, but won't have the advantage of Game Pass.
But Sony Too™
Clicks on a thread about a Xbox first party game.
Shits on the third party IP ReadySet Heroes which isn't on Xbox, concern trolls the not yet released Predator Hunting Grounds which won't release on Xbox and hypes up Game Pass.
All in one post. One star for effort.
Achievement Unlocked.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Wow, really?

I'm still surprised companies do this unless it's a game they think is terrible.

Yea, but companies with more experience know how these things should be handled.

Usually you pay journalists for their flights and hotels, and invite them over for a review event, where you get 20+ (for us it is usually 40+) journalists from different parts of the world.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I've actually had some fun with it, but as the game is melee focused not having any PVE made it really hard to try and convince my casual friends to try it.

Likewise for me it's lack of real ranked competitive modes and a lack of any real progression halted my momentum.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Valorant is a new multiplayer IP that's a hero shooter in 2020 and doing extremely well.
But it has Riot games hype to help propel it forward as well as being a genuinely fun game. Bleeding edge is from a company better known for single player console games. Bleeding edge isn't bad, just not very interesting.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But it has Riot games hype to help propel it forward as well as being a genuinely fun game. Bleeding edge is from a company better known for single player console games. Bleeding edge isn't bad, just not very interesting.

Yeah, so the problem isn't the genre or the fact that it's multiplayer. The marketing failed it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but companies with more experience know how these things should be handled.

Usually you pay journalists for their flights and hotels, and invite them over for a review event, where you get 20+ (for us it is usually 40+) journalists from different parts of the world.

Now that I think about it maybe they planned to but couldn't due to COVID. A review event with dozens of people interacting would be an obvious health hazard.

TheCombatButler

Alt Account
Apr 7, 2020
surprisingly unsurprising. game never really looked all that appealing to me, tho i did like the bold art direction. seeing some screens and streams it seems as though the art ingame does not have as much impact / charm

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it actually does, as matchmaking times are in the seconds. I'm playing the game every evening for a few matches, as it's fun it short bursts. I highly doubt this would be the case without Game Pass.

The game is #3 on the most downloaded/played(?) Game Pass games chart.

It's obvious the game isn't setting the world on fire, but the player base seems very healthy right now. Needs regular content updates to keep that of course.
gc56gq3f_400x400.jpg

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
It's not a bad game, but it needs some TDM or brawler modes, objectives modes are so boring and I need my spiritual Anarchy Reigns. I did 1000G and never played again.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From what I've played this is pretty much expected.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

I play the game. It's true.

Gaming is so fucking weird sometimes.

I played a few hours. How much more do I have to play before I'm allowed to not like it?

At least two dozen, obviously.

But in seriousness, this isn't about disliking it. It's about not even trying it, or about saying it's without skill or depth after a couple of games. Simply not true. Whether you like it is up to you, of course.