• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
KeUC8ra.png

0PzjXT9.png

Bleeding Edge is a team-based multiplayer fighter game made by Ninja Theory who has previously made games such as Enslaved, DmC:Devil May Cry, Hellblade and Kung Fu Chaos. This is a passion project of Rahni Tucker who was the combat director on DmC Devil May Cry. With a team of around 25 people right now on the project, the project is still deep in development. Bleeding Edge will also be the first game to be made as part of the Xbox Games Studios family which means that this game will only be available on the Microsoft platforms (those being Xbox consoles and PC via the Windows Store and Steam.)

In Bleeding Edge, you get to pick one of the 12 characters (2 who are as of right now unknown/have yet to be announced). Each character has a different moveset and different abilities to use. Most of these characters, with the exception of Gizmo, have a prominent focus on melee combat with added ranged abilities. There are three classes in Bleeding Edge: Assassins, Heavy and Supports.

Here is a list of all the known characters with added info on abilities and backstories:

Assassin:

Bio

Life packs punches. And native New Yorker Damon John Banks took a lot of hits.
Raised alone by a loving and artistic mom, Damon's childhood would abandon him, when his mother died from corporate complications.
Under the new name Daemon, graffiti would be his guide, while the system would relentlessly oppose him. But the fight would give him purpose. He would become a gifted coder, a master of martial arts, and would seek redemption against a system and corporate society that failed him.
He would form a gang of digital misfits called the Bleeding Edge, and unleash the biggest corporate data breach in history. He had his taste of revenge, and now seeks redemption, as he builds an army of the augmented amidst the underworld fighting circuits.

9WvZG8Z.png

Bio

On the edge of Australia, in a sweltering mining township, a father's heart melted when young Molly Gibson was born.
He would call her Gizmo, and walk the earth for her, and she would follow each footstep. The happy and curious Molly would soon emulate his engineering and construction skills, scavenging junk-tech to invent and build endlessly, with sometimes silly but highly functional designs.
At 13 she would win a prestigious bot-battle competition, thanks to the Skeleton Key. And then came the self-augments, along with her Father's unbreakable realisation: Gizmo was destined for greater things. And so he sent her to New York, the tech mecca, to build her legend and find the Bleeding Edge.

JZgRCEg.png

Bio

As a baby, little Maeve Murphy became transfixed in Ireland's nature. As a child, she would be dazzled by the land's history and mythos. The stories of witches and magic and mysticism, minus the nastiness.
As a woman, Granny Maeve would spend her entire life in Ireland, and as old age crept in so did her sense of adventure. Carried by a hovering bauble, Maeve would float across the world. The beauty and the horror, all that is life. And there she'd find her mission in life. To fight for what is right, and she'd find that in the Bleeding Edge.

sucbfl1.png

Bio

When a musically gifted child named Steiner Foss grew tired of classical music and the world around, his sombre state would guide him to greatness.
At an accidental discovery of an illegal concert, buried deep under a rotting cannery district in a corner of Norway, the young Steiner became beautifully horrified. It was here that his journey to international fame and success would begin, as the Black Metal icon now known as Níðhöggr.
Now a modified man, rich in anti-authoritative motives, this beacon of blackness and musically driven augmentations bombards the ears of the world with the anthems of empirical end.

S3nQbRK.png

Heavy:

Bio

No one knows the dark past of the embittered, grim warrior called El Bastardo. Only fragments of this lone wolf's story, half-truths and rumours, exist.
Some say he was the illegitimate son of a Cartel Sicario, others that he stalked Mexico's underworld as a one-man vigilante militia, or that he was once a decorated soldier left for dead by his own commanders and is now out for revenge.
Only one thing is certain: those who cross him in the arena must face a lethal whirlwind of blades and an unstoppable fighter who acts without mercy.

jGFIoMi.png

Bio

As Angelica Butters soared through gridlock atop her motorcycle, the sassy Cajun knew she had found her calling. It was her 19th birthday, life was good, and also the last day she would walk again.
After the crash, life would change for the one they called Buttercup, but love would rule. The religious community that raised her, the biking community, and friends and family would rally around her. But she still couldn't ride.
So when she learned of black market augmentations that could put her atop a chopper once again, she moved fast. But such augments were not accepted in the religious community, and so she fled atop her rubber wheel.
She would live life on the southern road, doing crime to survive, fighting the foolish to make money to advance her makeshift augments. When the Skeleton Key was released, her modifications blossomed, and she knew she had to meet the stranger in New York City who had released it.

1kPmC0g.png

Bio

As the only child of his mum's second marriage and the youngest of 7 step brothers and sisters, Makutu always felt a little bit left out. Not because they didn't love him to bits, but because while they were all tall, strong and athletic, he was so very small.
He loved to train in meditation with his dad, and he could school them all at fighting games or ping-pong, but all he really wanted was to be big, and tough, and play rugby, like his siblings. So at age 16, with the support of his family Makutu underwent augmentation. Makutu loved his new body. He felt like it finally matched his inner self. He'd go to the gym to pump iron, help out in the community, and of course, play rugby. But he always felt himself holding back, worried about hurting his friends or teammates. He needed a new way to test himself. A place to unleash his full unbridled strength.

kyuknPu.png

Support:

Bio

Despite being born into harsh conditions and relative poverty, Miko grew up happy, in a loving extended family unit, rich with their Xhosa ancestral heritage.
As a young girl, she mastered her clan's ruthless fighting techniques under her grandfather's guidance. She would endlessly educate herself in her people's traditions and rituals.
But when Miko was diagnosed with a deadly new plague virus, she reluctantly left her family for the chance of a cure via experimental nanobot treatment. Little did she know what she was signing up for. They would augment and encage her, torment and enrage her, but genetic resiliency would soon fuel a spirited Miko. She would have her freedom, and on escaping the H.A. facilities would be whisked to safety by a young man in a demon mask.

dJp1hgJ.png

Bio

The eccentric Dr. Ignatius Wright was a renowned professor of history at Cambridge University.
Pushed by his passion in the culture of Voodoo, Dr. Wright would travel the world, absorbing the lore, perfecting the practices, and chasing immortality. And it worked, until age 120.
In accordance with Wright's last Will and Testimony, his subconscious was granted to friend and maverick computer scientist, Sterling Taylor, for experimentation. And it worked.
His soul was digitized, reborn into data, and configured into an oddity. An automated snake that clumsily parades the mummified cadaver of Dr. Wright to feign inconspicuousness. It does not work. Officially considered "deceased", and ejected from his lifetime employment with the university, Kulev now seeks the services of kindred spirit Daemon, to join their common forces, and extend the life and plight of humanity.

aYxMDxU.png

Bio

Under the rusted roofs of Rio's ruins, a dust covered toddler with endless energy named Musaazi Zelev lost himself in his first video game and saw into his future.
A life that would grow him into a tech prodigy, a phenom hacker, and finally a famed pro gamer under the mnemonic moniker of ZeroCool. With success at his fingertips, ZeroCool's newfound wealth feeds his impoverished friends and family, while his insatiable ego over-eats off the super-sized celebrity. Armed with self-designed augments, looking for a new game to dominate, the outspoken teenager wants more. And he'll find it at the Bleeding Edge.

VdOulPy.png

t28jIVZ.png

How can i join the Technical Alpha?

1. Important: Sign up for the Tech Alpha here: https://www.bleedingedge.com/en/signup
  2. Wait until you get a "You are invited!" mail. This mail means that you have access to the technical alpha.​

How do i install the Technical Alpha?
You must have received an email from Ninja Theory confirming you have access to the Technical Alpha before proceeding to download the game via the Xbox Insider Hub. If you haven't received an email, double-check that it was sent to the email address associated with your gamertag, or that it isn't in your junk folder.

You will also need to have downloaded and installed the Xbox Insider Hub on your console before proceeding with the following steps:
  1. From My games & apps, open Xbox Insider Hub.
  2. Select Insider content.
  3. Select the Bleeding Edge Technical Alpha.
  4. Select Join and then begin downloading the game.
  5. When the game has finished downloading you can access it in My games & apps.
If the game isn't showing in My games & apps, check your queue and make sure the game has finished installing.

When is the Technical Alpha going live?

The next test will be on Thursday October 24th, and stay tuned for further info!

Can i only play when the servers are online?

Nope! You can play the game in the Dojo mode which is the game's additional practice mode where you can select any of the available characters and try them out against an AI enemy. However if you want to play against other actual human beings via online play, you will have to wait until the next technical test.

You can play Dojo mode as soon as you have access to the technical alpha!

Is there a NDA?

You can NOT post images/videos/gifs or stream gameplay footage from the technical alpha.

...but you are free to talk or write about the game :D

What platforms is the Technical Alpha on?

As of right now, the technical tests will only happen on Xbox One. PC might come at a later point.

What will be available in the Technical Alpha?
Game Mode: Objective Control

During Objective Control, teams earn points by owning Objectives, and killing enemies (+10pts). Objectives turn on and off in phases, so check the mini-map to see which objectives are active at any given time. To capture an Objective, stand on it till it turns blue. Note that you can't capture an Objective while an enemy is standing on it as well!

First to 600 points wins!

Game Mode: Powercells

Power Cells is a collect and deliver game mode. In the collection phase, find and destroy Cannisters to collect Power Cells (yellow dots on mini-map). In the delivery phase, take your Power Cells to an active Drop Zone and hand them in.

Note that not all Drop Zones are active at once, so check the mini-map. Make sure you stand still on Drop Zones to deliver Cells, and beware that taking damage interrupts hand-in. Killing an enemy carrying power cells will earn you 1 point, and you can steal their dropped cells! Cells are also dropped if you try to return to base.

First to 50 points wins!

K4oKByC.png

LankyAgreeableGalapagostortoise-size_restricted.gif
FrankGregariousDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

SpiritedHarmlessIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif
HarmlessPettyLeech-size_restricted.gif

KeyArt_Wallpaper_1260x708.jpg

Credit to Troll for the suggestion of the OT title.​

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The modes btw. There will be 3 maps also.

The technical alpha will launch with 2 game modes.

1/ Objective Control - capture objectives to earn points. Between 1 and 3 objectives are open simultaneously, and turn on/off in phases. Getting a kill also gives your team points. This is the mode we have showing at E3.

2/ Power Collection - in the collection phase your team collects power-cells from around the map, then in delivery phase one, two or three delivery zones activate where you can hand them in to score points. If you kill an enemy who is holding cells, they'll drop them and you can steal!

In both modes you have a short respawn time after dying.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I didn't get an email. I see how it is Ninja Theory, couldn't even hook up your boy who has been with you from the start.

I'll remember this.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
The modes btw. There will be 3 maps also.

The technical alpha will launch with 2 game modes.

1/ Objective Control - capture objectives to earn points. Between 1 and 3 objectives are open simultaneously, and turn on/off in phases. Getting a kill also gives your team points. This is the mode we have showing at E3.

2/ Power Collection - in the collection phase your team collects power-cells from around the map, then in delivery phase one, two or three delivery zones activate where you can hand them in to score points. If you kill an enemy who is holding cells, they'll drop them and you can steal!

In both modes you have a short respawn time after dying.

I'll add this to the OT. 🍻

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Worth noting: If you already got your invite, you can download the game now and make use of the tutorial and Dojo before the first playtest. The Dojo allows you to test out moves and combos with all the characters. You can also go into the workshop and view available mods, boards, paint, stickers, and trails.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
My impressions from trying out the characters in the Dojo mode:

It feels great to control the characters. This is easily something i could be playing on a very regular basis. The time-to-kill feels pretty fair so i'm curious how it'll go in online play. No issues i can think of as of right now, so i'm definitely interested in how the first test will go :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Worth noting: If you already got your invite, you can download the game now and make use of the tutorial and Dojo before the first playtest. The Dojo allows you to test out moves and combos with all the characters. You can also go into the workshop and view available mods, boards, paint, stickers, and trails.

Yep, it's definitely good to see an alpha/beta featuring a way to play offline or without you having to wait until the servers are back up :D

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Do we know for certain we have test each week?

I should look up for the quote again from Rahni, but i'm definitely sure that there was a mention of doing these tests on a weekly basis with the first test using a small group of people.

The mail itself mentions that "The test will run weekly from June 27th at the following..." so i'm getting the idea that this is a weekly thing. I'll make sure to update the OT in case it's different or with the right timings for other weeks.

Btw its a Heavy not a Tank tho. :)

First game OT and im off to a good start i see ;)

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Well those abilities certainly make it seem like this game is liberally borrowing from overwatch. Almost all of them are straight analogues of overwatch character abilities. I really did not expect it to be so blatant.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I should look up for the quote again from Rahni, but i'm definitely sure that there was a mention of doing these tests on a weekly basis with the first test using a small group of people.

The mail itself mentions that "The test will run weekly from June 27th at the following..." so i'm getting the idea that this is a weekly thing. I'll make sure to update the OT in case it's different or with the right timings for other weeks.

First game OT and im off to a good start i see ;)

Ah oke. I dont have the mail offcourse. :)
And dont worry on the second thing. Its a very good OT. ;)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
See y'all in the Alpha. I had a blast demoing this at E3 and will try to get my interview w/ the game's director up at Ars once I've had more hands-on time with all the characters.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
So, this was for console only? Why no one told me that before signing up for Alpha? XD
I thought that it's PC too. What a mess.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna wait for the PC alpha but I have high hopes for this game. It gives me Gigantic vibes. Still disappointed it's only 4vs4 though.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Nice op waiting for my invite
See y'all in the Alpha. I had a blast demoing this at E3 and will try to get my interview w/ the game's director up at Ars once I've had more hands-on time with all the characters.

Is there a game you can compare bleeding edge to? Any obvious balancing issues?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nice op waiting for my invite

Is there a game you can compare bleeding edge to? Any obvious balancing issues?

They're definitely trying to land somewhere between DmC Devil May Cry and Dota 2, which I'm absolutely intrigued by. Definitely better than something like Monday Night Combat at first blush. The pacing of my two matches was pretty solid in terms of emerging/changing objectives and asymmetric combat possibilities. Zero freaking idea about character balance at this point.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I read the NDA wrong, I thought we weren't allowed to talk about the game publically?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I never got an email, but really wanting to try it out. Hope yo hear some impressions soon from people

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Man, really excited for this game.

Guess I didn't get chosen for this round 😭