• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Mix of info about the development with darthpaxton who interviewed the devs at E3 and Gamereactor.
Crazy they can do this with this small of a team.

-They only had 10-20 people on the project for most of development. That number jumped to 30 as they got closer to launching the Alpha. He said they have a ton of other projects in the works.

-No word on release date other than they're going to focus on the alpha and how feedback goes will dictate full release. I compared it to the early alpha stuff with Sea of Thieves and he said exactly.

-The game is not based on Project Razer, but is instead based on prototyping they did after doing DmC, imaging what a multiplayer version of that game might be.

-Like DMC, you can knock enemies into the air and attack them in air as part of combos, but they toned it down a ton, because during development, it was really frustrating when you were getting battered in the air for thirty seconds.

"I'm a very different type of creative director to Tameem, the previous combat designer for DmC: Devil May Cry," Tucker explains. "For me, I go more for the game mechanics. I want to prototype first. I like the touch and feel of the game - that's the most important thing to me. Bleeding Edge is a reflection of that."

Bleeding Edge has been in development for a long time now, the game's director explained to us: "I wanted to do [the idea for the game] straight after DmC. We got to start in properly just over three years ago. We've been working on it with a small team - a Hellblade-sized team - an average of about 15 people."

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Constantly amazed at NT's ability to make games with such small teams. While Be is not for everyone, the overall style, animation and feel is super impressive.

I know they love making smaller projects with smaller teams but I really wonder what NT could kick out with a much larger team. On second thought, I think they way they split smaller groups is exactly what MS want.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks interesting but I'm not sure how much demand their is for a 4v4 3rd person brawler?
I guess it depends on what direction they push it? A 4v4 brawler with melee combat but pushed towards an Over watch feel with new characters, various maps, interesting new modes etc, could be pretty great. I guess the tests will be very telling.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing what these guys have been doing with tiny teams.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tons of projects in the works, eh? Good to know, good to know. The idea of a competitive stylish action game is compelling, especially coming from a developer who can marry style and action as well as NT, so I think this will turn out to be something special. And since it's not entirely reliant on melee combat, people adverse to it might feel catered by different play styles as well.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Constantly amazed at NT's ability to make games with such small teams. While Be is not for everyone, the overall style, animation and feel is super impressive.

I know they love making smaller projects with smaller teams but I really wonder what NT could kick out with a much larger team. On second thought, I think they way they split smaller groups is exactly what MS want.
Often it works far better to have a small core team in terms of communication and sticking to a creative vision. You can work far more efficiently but it only works on games like this that are smallish in scope.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Often it works far better to have a small core team in terms of communication and sticking to a creative vision. You can work far more efficiently but it only works on games like this that are smallish in scope.
The way NT works is why I am excited about Double Fine.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
How did they know three years ago that they would be acquired by MS and forced to make this game? They truly are wizards.

But seriously looks like it could be great, hoping this one turns out to be another gem like Hellblade.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
15 people... unbelievable, how on earth did they accomplish that. It looks so polished and clean in terms of look and animation.
Game definitely has my interest, reminds of Power Stone meets Overwatch.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
15 people... unbelievable, how on earth did they accomplish that. It looks so polished and clean in terms of look and animation.
Game definitely has my interest, reminds of Power Stone meets Overwatch.
3 years, and it being a pretty straightforward 4x4 brawler by the looks of it with a small scope. You can do a lot with 15 people.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some more info from a other interview.

Before Microsoft acquisition, Ninja Theory didn't have the resources to develop several games at once.

Rahni Tucker, creative director of the game, pitched the idea to founders of Ninja Theory 6 years ago but studio was about to start Hellblade development.

Three and a half years ago Ninja Theory asked if she still wanted to do it and greenlit the project. Initially a team of six people started prototyping it.

Team now has 25 people.

Since working on DMC creative director of Bleeding Edge, Rahni Tucker, has wanted to focus on combat design as a game designer. She is now 2nd creative director at Ninja Theory.

Tameem Antoniades, one of the founders of Ninja Theory and chief creative director, continues to focus on games like Hellblade.

Microsoft acquisition will help them to grow into a multi-team multi-game studio.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting but I'm not sure how much demand their is for a 4v4 3rd person brawler?
I was going to say impressive fir such a small team. Too bad the game looks boring and uninteresting. Don't really care for melee brawlers in that regard. Shooters, sure, melee not so much. Can't even get into the melee characters in OW.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game doesn't interest me enough to pay $60 upfront for it, but as a game pass title is perfect, and I think that it could do good numbers there

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Too bad it's gonna die miserably and fade into oblivion weeks after release like all the niche multiplayer games out there, they should've put this effort into a single player game at least it can give them money a while after release, maybe i'm too pessimistic, but the 83245714 previous experiences from other devs before this game all failed except for like 1 or 2 games ... :/

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's really impressive how polished it looks considering the size of the team, and it's great to see all the positive impressions.. Ninja Theory is such a talented studio.
Too bad it's gonna die miserably and fade into oblivion weeks after release like all the niche multiplayer games out there, they should've put this effort into a single player game at least it can give them money a while after release, maybe i'm too pessimistic, but the 83245714 previous experiences from other devs before this game all failed except for like 1 or 2 games ... :/
Thanks to Game Pass it'll have a healthy population as long as the game is good, which early impressions seem to indicate.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
It's really impressive how polished it looks considering the size of the team, and it's great to see all the positive impressions.. Ninja Theory is such a talented studio.

Thanks to Game Pass it'll have a healthy population as long as the game is good, which early impressions seem to indicate.

I really hope so, Ninja Theory are great and it'd be a shame to see all their effort go to waste