• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun enough game so I hope it carves out a large enough niche that it gets long term support.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Rocket League was a PS Plus game back when the market was starved and it did wonders for them. That's marketing. Marketing is more than just commercials and magazine ads. You have to think of new and creative ways to market when you are talking about subscription services like GamePass, but at the end of the day you still have to convince people to give you their time and attention.
I know, why I used "strategy". But as you said RL was at the right time, right place more than it was a marketing masterstroke, as we've seen many games not do anywhere even remotely as well going for that strategy, instead of using more traditional marketing.
Surprised they don't seem to have even used (what I consider decent marketing) some sponsored Twitch streams from a bunch of the bigger streamers much at all (looking at Twitch ATM there's only 1 big streamer streaming it and not in English), to really get it out there, this type of game + the "free" strategy (especially) go very well together, which they saw firsthand with Sea of Thieves.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This sounds very much like a project they worked on, they knew it was close to being done, Microsoft injected a TAD bit more money and a TAD bit more workers, then they released it to game pass. If people responded to it, GREAT, but it's not a worthwhile investment. That's what I think MS thought.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I want to like this. Multiplayer games just aren't my thing anymore, especially team focused ones. Great art and character animation, though.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The game is neat, I have fun with it, but around a 7 seems fair. There just isn't that much to it and I don't see it having legs. Their progression and unlock system is also pretty bad, so that's not gonna hold a lot of people either.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yep. It's made by quite a small team. Can't find any numbers but IIRC it started out with less than five and then got upped to ~14 when the MS acquisition happened.

The credits list 37 people as part of the main dev team for it. With some more outsourcing.
In today's day and age, I wouldn't trust any numbers that are being thrown around so easily.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The credits list 37 people as part of the main dev team for it. With some more outsourcing.
In today's day and age, I wouldn't trust any numbers that are being thrown around so easily.

The Bleeding Edge team has averaged around 15 people over the course of its development, peaking at 25, which Tucker tells us is "only about a quarter of the studio."
www.gamesindustry.biz

The Bleeding Edge of multiplayer design

There's no denying Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice did wonders for Ninja Theory's reputation. The game, which explored men…

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The game was majority around 15-25 people throughout dev based off of words from devs Iirc, it obviously got more people near the end and ish. Either way, small team made the game and it's fun. :)

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
^ sure, I just checked the ingame credits, haven't been following things closely. :p

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
As a non-action games player (zero experience playing this kind of games) the game was pretty good at explaining how it worked and the ideas are good.
I didn't really like the combat mechanics (the addition of a parry on this last beta was a godsend) and I think the characters are pretty innovative, I just don't see the magic in this teamgames. It feels infuriating to me to NEED your team to win when your team is a bunch of random people. I feel games like league of legends and Dota still have a great level of individual skill that allow you to "carry". That doesn't exist here.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I really like this game. I'm not surprised to see mediocre reviews, it's not groundbreaking, but it is balanced. If you approach it like a team chess match, you can have great success. Every person has to play their role.

I also see a lot of complaints about players "running straight into a fight solo" and disregarding the team dynamic. It's a valid complaint, but I gotta say sometimes if I am playing a tank, I'll go tromping off to 1v2 people across the map so the rest of my team can play the objective. I may only buy a few seconds but they are precious seconds, play the objective people!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I love a good melee brawler. But this doesn't look like something that will catch on.

Give it a shot, I found the game to be surprisingly fun. I could see it definitely maintaining a moderate, dedicated player base, especially if they follow up with regular updates.

The combat mechanics are simple, something I worried about until I played it and realized it's much more about teamplay and strategy. I'm sure that will turns some people off, but the game is legit a great time, and has a lot of depth overall. There's a lot to come back for, especially since there's nothing quite like it. It does what Anarchy Reigns failed at, imo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Frustrating that we live in an age where everyone has to aggressively defend a game from any and all critques. The defense force for this game in this thread alone is a bit ridiculous.

The beta was a bit mediocre, though to be clear I'm not the biggest arena shooter player. It was fun a few rounds, but visually it feels like a hyper focused generic mishmash, which is not how earlier NT games have felt aesthetically.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the lack of marketing for the game. I wonder why MS isn't doing more to bolster the work of one of their new studios (aside from Hellblade 2 at TGA).

Ps+ made a huge impact on rocket league popularity.
Maybe gamepass will do the same for this game
It was actually the two betas and resulting media that made the word of mouth and mindshare so huge. The game was downright addictive, and then coming to PS+ meant a lot of people could obtain it that way.

Unfortunately this game has not caught attention the same way, and as someone else has pointed out Gears 5 also launched on Gamepass but has not set the world on fire.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Regarding the reviews, I can certainly see this end up being mid 70s.

The core game design is easily an 8+, but I could see some docking points for "lack of content", even with the lower price tag.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game's very fun, but the package is a bit too light. Need more modes ASAP. Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Given how Gears 5 has faired multiplayer-wise and that launched on Game Pass too, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gears 5 has a pretty high bar of entry for its MP. If you didn't start with Gears 1 or even Gears 2, and this is your first Gears, it's not easy to jump in and just play. It plays different than many other TPS (Uncharted, Fort Nite, PUBG, etc). Like it's gonna take time and effort for someone to learn wall slide and bouncing.

In short, it's not newcomer friendly.

Ive played a bit of Bleeding Edge and it seems pretty friendly and the tutorials explain things well.

Maybe it turns out like Gears 5, or maybe it turns out like a Sea of Thieves, a game which has added plenty of content since launch and is in the top 20 most played games on Xbox atm.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't realise this was coming out so soon. Saw the beta notifications in my Xbox app but never got around to trying it out.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Given how Gears 5 has faired multiplayer-wise and that launched on Game Pass too, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Gamepass only ensures a initial audience for the game, the game still has to keep them attracted.

Unfortunately for gears 5, the constant server issues (and other changes perhaps not resonating with the fan base?) made people drop it really fast.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Gamepass only ensures a initial audience for the game, the game still has to keep them attracted.

Unfortunately for gears 5, the constant server issues (and other changes perhaps not resonating with the fan base?) made people drop it really fast.
Server issues, ubiquity of bots (which are terribly stupid), and paltry map selection is what turned me off. Too bad, because I was addicted to it for the first few weeks after it came out.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Jumping in and playing solo is just going to lead to frustration if people aren't playing their roles properly. They should advertise the look for group on the main menu so you can find people who want to communicate rather than being stuck with randoms. Even if one person isn't playing properly it pulls the whole team down and makes matches frustrating.

Even so the matches I have played with people have been fun. It doesn't feel like it's meant to stick around for too long but I'll enjoy the time I spend with it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before (but I'm not sure if I said it here lol) that I'm really not into playing multiplayer games, but I'm really interested in watching a good set-up team of people who are like... really good at slashers like JTB or something play matches.

I'm more interested in this game for Twitch than I am on actually playing it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good game. I hope there aren't a lot of negative reviews putting people off.

The combat seems kinda simple at first but there's a lot of depth there with not just how you time and combo but how you combine your timing and comboing with your teammates. You can turn the game around on a time if you pull off a really good push. It's hard, but you absolutely can. I like that a lot.

Main thing I would say is it takes a second to get used to. Idk how to describe it, but like it feels really good, but I got punished really badly the first couple games. Spending some time just playing around more in the really polished practice mode helped a lot and made me appreciate it even more.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Low 70's seems like an improvement when it come to the lower end of Microsoft games. I'm playing it now and it seems fun. It's kinda impressive this was done by 12 or so people.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this a lot more than I thought. Does feel like it's arriving with almost zero fanfare but it feels good.

Also the OST is awesome.

YES. The OST is really good.

It's odd because like, I feel like, I shouldn't like it? I guess? Maybe I'm just not as into the style normally?

But it's good. It's really really good, and it honestly enhances the game for me.

Also the sound design in general is just really nice.

Low 70's seems like an improvement when it come to the lower end of Microsoft games. I'm playing it now and it seems fun. It's kinda impressive this was done by 12 or so people.

Especially considering the polish. There are so many tiny little QOL options and accessibility settings that a lot of developers neglect. I was kinda blown away. It's really detailed. There's clearly a lot of care put into this game.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES. The OST is really good.

It's odd because like, I feel like, I shouldn't like it? I guess? Maybe I'm just not as into the style normally?

But it's good. It's really really good, and it honestly enhances the game for me.

Also the sound design in general is just really nice.

Especially considering the polish. There are so many tiny little QOL options and accessibility settings that a lot of developers neglect. I was kinda blown away. It's really detailed. There's clearly a lot of care put into this game.
Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Seems like the perfect podcast game tbh. Best of luck to everyone at NT. Game seems really polished for the scale of the team.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What genre would you all say the OST is? It's really fantastic and it feels a bit trappy mixed with some future bass but I feel like I'm missing something.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Seems like the perfect podcast game tbh. Best of luck to everyone at NT. Game seems really polished for the scale of the team.

It can be, although it's a bit hard to solo. But if you're good at playing around randoms you'll have a good time.

Playing with a team that knows how to rip and tear is pretty fun. But it can just kinda snowball because I think this game is taking a lot of people a bit to figure out.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Played the beta on Gamepass and didn't enjoy it.GP is this games saving grace because if NT released this themselves normally it would have bombed hard.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I really like this game. I'm not surprised to see mediocre reviews, it's not groundbreaking, but it is balanced. If you approach it like a team chess match, you can have great success. Every person has to play their role.

I also see a lot of complaints about players "running straight into a fight solo" and disregarding the team dynamic. It's a valid complaint, but I gotta say sometimes if I am playing a tank, I'll go tromping off to 1v2 people across the map so the rest of my team can play the objective. I may only buy a few seconds but they are precious seconds, play the objective people!
Bingo. I play Daemon and I play stealth to capture objectives, stealthily drop power cells and put enemies doing massive damage to my team to sleep. I'm not fighting 24/7

Oct 27, 2017
Frustrating that we live in an age where everyone has to aggressively defend a game from any and all critques. The defense force for this game in this thread alone is a bit ridiculous.

The beta was a bit mediocre, though to be clear I'm not the biggest arena shooter player. It was fun a few rounds, but visually it feels like a hyper focused generic mishmash, which is not how earlier NT games have felt aesthetically.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the lack of marketing for the game. I wonder why MS isn't doing more to bolster the work of one of their new studios (aside from Hellblade 2 at TGA).

It was actually the two betas and resulting media that made the word of mouth and mindshare so huge. The game was downright addictive, and then coming to PS+ meant a lot of people could obtain it that way.

Unfortunately this game has not caught attention the same way, and as someone else has pointed out Gears 5 also launched on Gamepass but has not set the world on fire.

You're imagining things. There's already far more posts declaring that the game is DOA and bound for mediocrity all based around barely two reviews in a review thread on the first page alone, and a handful of posters expressing their enjoyment even while acknowledging its shortcomings does not constitute a defense force. I myself have no personal interest in this game or multiplayer games in general but a spade is a spade and this post of yours is just way off the mark.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not my type of game at all unfortunately. I wish Ninja Theory's side project was a unique little single player story. Ah well. I see this scoring mostly 7s and not performing particularly well.

Jekked

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
How do they review it so fast? It's a multiplayer only game right? Don't you need some time for that then?