• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yyyyyeah. Like I don't want to be skeptical or negative but this sounds a bit too ambitious for a 2 person team with a kickstarter budget that needs to release it within 1-2 years. The first preview video you linked is essentially also skeptical and mentions something that bothers me a bit too much with no lock on mechanic.

I'd love to be proven wrong but this sounds exactly like one of those projects they are unable to finish due to the scope and ambition and ultimately they release an update that they need more money or that the project is canceled.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparisons to Dark Souls and kickstarter make some people just shit their diapers OP. Throw in something like procedural generation and you might have given some people actual real life fits.

I'm skeptical this game will ever get made but there is a lot of fucking weird hostility and nitpicking in this thread.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
What's with all the negativity? :/

It's being developed by 2 people and releasing in early access later this year, which explains the small kickstarter goal. It's already in a fully playable state if you see the videos and previews out there.

It's an open world with giant enemies. Kinda reminds me of The Lost Colossus.

Don't let the negativity put you down, I for one I'm happy I found out about it and I'll keep an eye on it from now on

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone currently developing an indie 2.5D title planning to go on Kickstarter later next year, this one is making me scratch my head. Everything my team is doing to make this project as real as possible, as convincing as we can for people to want to fund us, I see projects like this and I just don't know what to think. Do people just throw money at the very thought or mention of Dark Souls? Our team is literally way bigger than theirs and we are struggling to put together this small game with little to no budget and they claim they are making an open world Souls game with seemingly no art direction whatsoever and such a small budget? Not only are there only 2 devs, these guys seemingly haven't developed another game in their lives? or at least they are not on record. It just rubs me the wrong way.
Why does this game rub you the wrong way? It's literally harmless, it's not like this would be the game that makes people cautious about Kickstarter, it's the thousands of other projects that haven't come to fruition. This game on display, grimdark and edgy as it seems, at least does it look like it's trying something a little bit different than what is usually on display. If you want people to be interested in your project or a future Kickstarter, maybe think twice about releasing yet another 2.5d indie metroidvania in a market that is absolutely flooded with them, instead of putting down another teams work.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
two people making an open-world, Dark Souls-esque game?

tenor.gif

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the negativity? :/

It's being developed by 2 people and releasing in early access later this year, which explains the small kickstarter goal. It's already in a fully playable state if you see the videos and previews out there.

It's an open world with giant enemies. Kinda reminds me of The Lost Colossus.
Because i've seen similar projects have silly ass stretch goals like that and 3 things happens
1. They deliver them but it pretty much kills them mentally to the point the team doesn't work together anymore and they almost stop developing games (just had a story about this too)
2. They drop the features to ship the product because it's taking too long
3. They ship the product but are stuck on it for years adding features they promised on kickstarter

I will say some of the monsters designs look cool

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Too ambitious for 2 guys and that budget. And done by sometime next year? I don't think folks should back this.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Why does this game rub you the wrong way? It's literally harmless, it's not like this would be the game that makes people cautious about Kickstarter, it's the thousands of other projects that haven't come to fruition. This game on display, grimdark and edgy as it seems, at least does it look like it's trying something a little bit different than what is usually on display. If you want people to be interested in your project or a future Kickstarter, maybe think twice about releasing yet another 2.5d indie metroidvania in a market that is absolutely flooded with them, instead of putting down another teams work.
I'd love to be surprised and I think it's already impressive as a 2 man team, but I just think there is an absolute disconnect between the goals, the game, the description of the project and their track record. I don't think they mean ill by this game, I just feel like they legitimately seem unconcerned about the scope of their game being all over the place. You could've also made your point without attacking my team or project without even knowing what it is, but you did.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Thread title edited.

Please note, as OP mentioned, that this game is already funded and the KS financing is for help in completing the game (which is well in progress), not starting the project.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to be surprised and I think it's already impressive as a 2 man team, but I just think there is an absolute disconnect between the goals, the game, the description of the project and their track record. I don't think they mean ill by this game, I just feel like they legitimately seem unconcerned about the scope of their game being all over the place. You could've also made your point without attacking my team or project without even knowing what it is, but you did.
You attacked the team for this game yourself! Between your claim of using an asset store, to the fact that you said the worst thing that could happen to this game was that it could get funded even though, you know, the Kickstarter was just for stretch goals. You can't bring down another teams work, demeaning it with a thinly veiled "asset flip" comment and then get upset that someone is balking at the thought of another game being released in a genre that has seen an absolutely absurd amount of releases over the last few years.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Souls-like isn't exactly super original either at this point. We've just had two of them released recently in Surge 2 and Code Vein.

But seeing the other gameplay footage and learning the fact that these guys actually already had budget and this kickstarter is just merely a supplement, it's a little more promising now, because there is no way in hell they could make a solid 3D action rpg with mere 30k.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
You attacked the team for this game yourself! Between your claim of using an asset store, to the fact that you said the worst thing that could happen to this game was that it could get funded even though, you know, the Kickstarter was just for stretch goals. You can't bring down another teams work, demeaning it with a thinly veiled "asset flip" comment and then get upset that someone is balking at the thought of another game being released in a genre that has seen an absolutely absurd amount of releases over the last few years.
there is nothing wrong with Assets from the store? I didn't call them out for "asset flipping" I was simply trying to think how they were able to put together such a big game with such lack of coherence in the art style. So I said "maybe they are from the asset store?". There is a reason why kitbashes and asset store landscapes exist, using them isn't wrong.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The gameplay video itself looks like some weird prototype for DS2. Besides some vaguely Beksinski-ish design hints in the seemingly surreal Sci-Fi setting, which I find kind of cool, I personally don't see anything of interest here. From have made some of my favorite games ever at this point but I'm totally disinterested in copies of their formula at this point.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Information
Thread title edited.

Please note, as OP mentioned, that this game is already funded and the KS financing is for help in completing the game (which is well in progress), not starting the project.
That opens up perspective on the kickstarter cost being way too off, but I guess it makes sense since they had playable prototypes already and are aiming for an EA release this year.

I still am wary of the scope of the project for a team of 2. I'll keep my eye out to see how more previews and ultimately reviews of the final product are. I would love to be proven wrong and hell even a halfway decent title in the 70s id give it a buy to support devs who took a chance and deliver something decent when the odds were against them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Two people working on an open world Souls-ish game, to release next year, for $30k? God I love ridiculously impossible Kickstarters.

Don't worry though, they've assuaged my fears:

Very small project, but it'll reach the best in the industry. Plus there's no risk!
There are the kind of red flags that you'd think people would be wise to after how many years of Kickstarter. But of course this is already funded, then when it either is cancelled or updates cease or whatnot, those same people will be the first to say how Kickstarter is terrible.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, actually just read through the page and everything about this just screams "Don't back this"

Goal vs ambitions
- $30,000 for a project of this alleged scale?
- Complex AI ecosystems, "huge" open world, RPG elements, from a pair of developers who have nothing to show that they could accomplish such complexity

Verbage and tone
- Some examples:
Bleak Faith will offer a story and experience that will be a breath of fresh air for all gamers looking for a something new. The world is full of lore, and every aspect of it is crafted with utmost passion and a dedication to art.
The architecture of the world, the Omnistructure, is a huge aspect of the game. Meticulously designed and crafted, Bleak Faith aims to provide an emergent narrative method coupled with more structured traditional moments.
Expect tight and meticulously crafted and expanded combat that brings tempo and action to this world in amazing quality and detail. We're not shying away from a challenge, and so we're going all in.
These are the kind of grand vague descriptions that promise a lot but says nothing about the actual gameplay

Completely unrealistic stretch goals
- A full voiced companion, dismemberment as a gameplay mechanics (lose a limb and keep fighting), hundreds of pieces of gear mods...all for less than an additional $120,000! On top of an already massive game.

Seemingly little/no past experience
- "We are two developers with a passion for games - we've lead our entire lives to get to this point - and now that we're here, we're going to do it right."
- By contrast even a first-time project like Rain World showcased tons of alpha builds, footage from throughout development leading up to the KS build, and so on

Non-existent budget breakdown and unrealistic perspective of risks and challenges
- No breakdown of how funds will be spent + comments like "We want to be clear that our goal and project doesn't require too much money..."
- "The risks with this project are close to none. Like we said, this is more than just a project, this is our life..."
- The other massive red flag for any game Kickstarter; not having a realistic breakdown of budget and a reflection on challenges is a given recipe for disaster

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
Honestly, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I'm interested to see where this goes, but the pitch does not inspire much confidence. There's no way this will be ready for release in only eight months.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I take it that this didn't make it for a 2020 release? 👀

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017