• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Life's hard. Kaoru knows:

kaoruhokaq.jpg

She's a lonely, world-weary salarywoman unappreciated at work and in her personal life, but she does have three awesome roommates:

rilakkuma4hjyv.jpg

Rilakkuma, Korillakuma, and Kiiroitori, three mischievous animals who are crazy for pancakes and spend most of their time getting into charming shenanigans. I can't get enough of this little guy:

giphy.gif

Made by Dwarf Studio, who also produced the Domo-kun stop motion shorts, this show is simply STUNNING to watch. There aren't many pictures online yet (S1 just dropped on Friday) but it deserves to be viewed on the best screen possible. The Dolby Vision cinematography looks damn near 3D, and even the fuzz on the animals' bodies remains pin-sharp at all times.

There are thirteen 12-minute episodes, which I blasted through like nothing. It's the perfect mix of Aggretsuko's adult malaise and Wallace & Gromit's kooky animal hijinks, with every episode ending with an inspirational quote like, "We All Have Those Days." There's somewhat of an ongoing narrative throughout the season, but most episodes are self-contained, and the show isn't afraid to take massive swings at crazy genre stories that pay off beautifully. This show was nowhere on my radar, but it warmed my cold, black heart so much. I need more!

giphy.gif

(also super obvious, but if Rilakkuma Fanatic hasn't seen this yet, you're in for a TREAT!)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice little slice of life show. I'm five episodes in. I hate that they're only 11-13 minutes long though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's the shape, pupil or them appearing wide open in the screens. But like you said, they animate, so I'll have to watch an episode or two.

Yeah, her eyes are huge, but she's very expressive.

tumblr_popclwAzqc1r5x837o3_500.gif

I'm just stoked to see more stop-motion animation, and it's top-notch.

tumblr_popclwAzqc1r5x837o2_500.gif

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it with the gf.

I thought it was boring and found Kaoru quite unrelatable, but at least she wasn't obnoxious like Retsuko was in Aggretsuko.

Thought the animation was inconsistent, with everything but the humans looking incredible and the humans were universally hideous.

But it was cute and mostly harmless, I guess! 5/10

Favorite episode was the Ghost Girl episode.

Nov 20, 2017
(also super obvious, but if Rilakkuma Fanatic hasn't seen this yet, you're in for a TREAT!)

I binged it as soon as it came out, but thanks for the h/t, OP! Appreciate it!

Allow me to add onto the high praise for this show. It's actually surprisingly melancholic and affecting at parts. While it isn't afraid to be wacky and surreal at times, it's a story that's grounded in real emotions and fears. Rilakkuma and friends might not solve everything in Kaoru's life, but they help remind her that there's always somehing to look forward to or be thankful for, and that can be just what we need to keep trucking on.

(Also, yes. Kiiroitori is a STAR in this.)

ETA: I've seen a fair bit of 'Kaoru is unlikeable/whiny' discourse online but, like... She has to be human and experience all these worries in the way that Rilakkuma and friends, as simple and unconditionally loving as they are, won't ever have to, and that's a pretty big aspect of the show. She takes care of them (mostly!), and it's a mutually supportive relationship.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
ETA: I've seen a fair bit of 'Kaoru is unlikeable/whiny' discourse online but, like... She has to be human and experience all these worries in the way that Rilakkuma and friends, as simple and unconditionally loving as they are, won't ever have to, and that's a pretty big aspect of the show. She takes care of them (mostly!), and it's a mutually supportive relationship.

I wish there was a gif of Kaoru's dance from Episode 1, she really is hopeful and optimistic in spite of all her anxieties.

Also, that Hawaiian dance routine wrecked me.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks OP, I didn't know this show existed and now I'm about to start episode 5 and love it. I'm constantly blown away by how good everything looks and how relatable Kaoru is.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Watched it with the gf.

I thought it was boring and found Kaoru quite unrelatable, but at least she wasn't obnoxious like Retsuko was in Aggretsuko.

Thought the animation was inconsistent, with everything but the humans looking incredible and the humans were universally hideous.

But it was cute and mostly harmless, I guess! 5/10

Favorite episode was the Ghost Girl episode.
Da fuck? Retsuko wasn't obnoxious, just kind of dumb at times.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When people complain about the "unlikable/whiny" nature of characters like this they tend to miss the point about those characters. The character doesn't exist to be your ideal, but is rather a reflection of their own circumstances.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this by proxy because my wife is probably the biggest Rilakkuma fan in this country. Overall it was charming and stop-motion animation really suits the source material, such as it is

I binged it as soon as it came out, but thanks for the h/t, OP! Appreciate it!

How can you be a Rilakkuma fanatic when he's not even in your avatar? For shame

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When people complain about the "unlikable/whiny" nature of characters like this they tend to miss the point about those characters. The character doesn't exist to be your ideal, but is rather a reflection of their own circumstances.
As someone who feels this way, I don't think I'm missing the point. I see the point that is being made, just not the way it is being told. Here I didn't like Kaoru, but I didn't dislike her much either even though I found her too simple and a shade too whiny. I just wish they actively made her and her relationship with her roommates more clear and interesting and have an overarching story rather than the slice of life stuff.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything about this. A straight story doesn't really work well with stuff like this. It almost has to be Slice of Life, anything else would feel forced. She's just a woman trying to live her life, and I'm sure her character resonates with plenty of, young, single Japanese citizens.

It's cute but somewhat melancholic.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Finished earlier thought it was amazing. Kiiroitori is the breakout character and da real mvp

OP
OP

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix's promotional copy describes the series as following the "short but sweet" time the characters spend together, and that's it's just one year in their lives, but f that noise. May the power of merchandising opportunities grant us an S2!

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best show on Netflix right now. Slots in neatly next to Aggretsuko, Queer Eye, and Bake Off in my feel good watchlist, which I admit is my only watchlist.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started watching on the weekend and I fucking love this show. The animation and sets are so good. Really heartwarming even when it gets dark.

Kiiritori is my favourite, by a mile.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I love this show so much. I posted this on another board.

Yes it's true, I am in love with the Rilakkuma show. When I first saw the trailer I assumed it was a kids show, but it looked so quirky and surreal I had to watch it.

While children can watch it for the fuzzy bears, it is clearly made so adults can enjoy it. It covers a lot of themes like getting older, loneliness, love and being unsatisfied with your career.

The stop motion animation is beautiful, with unique camera movements and effects. It also gives a view into Japanese culture, especially through food. It's just a pleasure to watch.

The show is pretty short, with the episodes only being about 12 minutes long. Give the first episode a shot, it's a low commitment.

Also, I want to know how many suits Rilakkuma has and what they look like "naked".

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late to this, but holy smokes is this ever adorable. I love stop-motion stuff ever since I was a kid and it's so rare to see it done so well nowadays. Mood and tone remind of Ghibli's Only Yesterday, with its mix of the mundane and the fantastic.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
New Rilakkuma and Kaoru adventures confirmed!

Rilakkuma's Theme Park Adventure
(Date TBA)

The production of the new series of Rilakkuma has been produced in stop-motion animation following the success of Rilakkuma and Kaoru. The series depicts an active day of incidents and meetings that take place when Rilakkuma, Korilakkuma, Kiiroitori, and Kaoru go play in an amusement park that is about to close.

deadline.com

Netflix Sets Five New Anime Titles, Unveils First Looks At ‘Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness’, ‘Yasuke’, More

Netflix unpacked a swath of news during its Netflix Anime Festival 2020, setting five new anime projects and providing updates on 11 others.

UleuYrH.gif

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
People should have watched this show. I was in japan when this show was released and the ads were everywhere even in the subtrain

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Watched the whole series five times over now. It's so ridiculously charming, I'm very happy it's being continued.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
HEY WHAT!

My friend always sends me cute Rilakkuma pictures and stuff, I LOVE IT

And there's a stopmotion show?

We are very pleased with this news and will commence consumption fortwith

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing!

It's the little crazy moments that got me throughout the show like the ghost girl and then holding down Rilakuma for a good kicking 😂😅 it's very quite dark in places.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Was initial skeptical - Rilakkuma is, just like Hello Kitty a Japanese Merchandise blitz. My SO and her Sis have Rilakkuma stuff lying around everywhere....

But damn this show was so cute, charming and very well written. Cant wait for the next series.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Oh awesome! I am so happy to hear this... we LOVED the first series - it's so much fun, and silly and heartfelt.

This is SUCH good news and a good bump!