• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's more about whether it is fair, consistent, on the player, etc... I like challenge, but sometimes games like this can be frustrating.

What you wrote sounds good. Thanks!
There can be a bit of frustration, often from some jank. For instance, jumping between ladders seems harder than it should be. Doing an execution and watching an enemy approach and then hit you before you are able to evade is annoying. Taking a health potion and being interrupted, etc. It could be a little more polished here and there. I'm enjoying it enough to finish.

OP
OP
IDreamOfHime

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken it doesn't look like you can actually play as Miriam here right? A bit of a bummer but I guess I say that as someone more familiar with Bloodstained than Blasphemous.
It doesn't look like it. The press release used the phrases team up with and help Miriam, so it sounds like you're still playing as the Penitent one with Miriam helping in some fashion.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I bought the game recently and am about to begin with it. Is this mixed in with the rest of the game? Should I buy the dlc and play everything together or should I play the game first and consider the dlc after? Do you have to replay everything to play dlc content as I infere from some of your comments?

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
This is neat but the platforming challenges were prob my least favourite part of Blasphemous so I'll prob skip it.

OP
OP
IDreamOfHime

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game recently and am about to begin with it. Is this mixed in with the rest of the game? Should I buy the dlc and play everything together or should I play the game first and consider the dlc after? Do you have to replay everything to play dlc content as I infere from some of your comments?
All the updates/dlc have been free so far!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no DLC to buy, they are just adding it to the base game like they did with their recent update.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great collab, Time to re-download it, while I still have the OST on a weekly playlist.
I dunno for this one, but the previous was only available during a NG+.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As with the Kingdom X Bloodstained crossover stuff, weird but welcome, and free content is always welcome.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How difficult is Blasphemous? I've watch a little bit of the opening areas and the mechanics look a lot of fun... sword strikes look like they have good feedback, movement looks really tight, counters look intuitive, cool finishing moves like stepping on the shield to squish the enemy...

I used to love Metroid games, tried a few games that seem to be similar like Hollow Knight, Ori, etc... but never really got into the atmosphere of them. The aesthetics of this remind me of 2000AD and look really fun.

I don't mind difficulty being higher, challenge is cool. Just curious how people consider it feels to play.

I got 100% in the game(need to go back for the DLC still), but I found it manageable.

It has its moments of challenge but it's not really oppressive. The parry is indeed satisfying and has a lengthy timing window, so it's pretty effortless to master. Boss fights are largely the most difficult to overcome, but they all have patterns and with effort you will eventually vanquish them with ease after learning, even if you think they are impossible on your first attempt.

Oh and the secrets are pretty cool in the map, had a lot of fun hunting them down. Supposedly the game was patched to have more warp points now which was one complaint for me at launch(lots of backtracking to hunt them out).

I can't recommend it enough, it's a solid game.

Oct 31, 2017
Couldn't really get into Blasphemous at the time and I gave up on it after few hours out of boredom, but reading so many enthusiast comments here is making me wonder if I should go and give it a second chance.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I got 100% in the game(need to go back for the DLC still), but I found it manageable.

It has its moments of challenge but it's not really oppressive. The parry is indeed satisfying and has a lengthy timing window, so it's pretty effortless to master. Boss fights are largely the most difficult to overcome, but they all have patterns and with effort you will eventually vanquish them with ease after learning, even if you think they are impossible on your first attempt.

Oh and the secrets are pretty cool in the map, had a lot of fun hunting them down. Supposedly the game was patched to have more warp points now which was one complaint for me at launch(lots of backtracking to hunt them out).

I can't recommend it enough, it's a solid game.
This sounds great, especially the secrets part. Thanks very much for the feedback!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
hohoho ... Miriam sprite work... i might have to siphon this to play around with her :P
I didn't know about this game, i think i'll purchase and give it a go (and shamelessly rip the sprites)
Blasphemous-recoit-du-contenu-de-Bloodstained-Ritual-of-the-Night.png

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018
beautiful. 100%'ed blasphemous when it came out, the previous dlc looked really good as well but I just couldnt go back again to the game yet at that point. also there was a huge delay between the dlc release on steam and gog, and it soured me on playing the update quite a bit.

really wish this would have been miriam playable in blasphemous, and thought that's what it was at first, but I guess not. still looks really great.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That's it I'm restarting a save. I really enjoyed Blasphemous on release, but never played through the numerous improvements. The game should feel fresh enough at that point.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
As a fan of the M-Castlevanias, anyone other than the OP recommend Bloodstained? I want to try it out but the first level was really underwhelming. I fucking loved the GBA games and Symphony.

As a diehard fan of them since SoTN I can say that Bloodstained is fantastic. It's really ugly, but I think for the price you can't go wrong.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Friendly reminder that Blasphemous is absolutely fantastic. Also the the support this game is getting is fantastic, the devs surely love their product and rightfully so.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I dropped off blasphemous. There was one part in particular that I found so so frustrating. Some teleporting witches that flung projectiles iirc. Maybe I'll try it again.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed both Blasphemous and Bloodstained a lot, and it never crossed my mind until now that the latter with the former's art style would be a significantly better game!

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE Bloodstained and Miriam, so this is great. I do need to finish Blashpemous though, think I'm only a thrid of the way through but haven't played since September.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I was very hyped for this game. Then i played it and it was making me rage. Just too hard for me. Dropped it. I don't even remember if there's any easy mode. It surely has the souls type of difficulty which was never my cup of tea in games difficulty wise.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
This is great stuff, some quality additions to the game.

And on a really positive note anybody who suffered rolled back saves on Xbox (the update was released early then rolled back) this update fixed it for me.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, in that case I will pass.
I'm sure many here would disagree, but to me the movement and combat feels sluggish and unresponsive in comparison to pretty much every other indie platformer / metroidvania i've played in years. And its a shame, given that everything else its pretty good.

But then again i dont like how Dead Cells controls either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---------------------

So I've been playing a bit of this update and:

- You can access the Bloodstained content and the Sacred Sorrows with a vanilla save, thank goodness.
- The 8 bit content from the trailer is a mini game you find on the map where you only have 1 life and 3 hits. You need to pay 2500 tears of sorrow each time you want to play it. Its pretty cool and the controls are more responsive than on the default game.
- The Bloodstained content consists of 5 platforming time trials, as far as i know. I've done 3 so far, and they are more annoying than hard, to be honest.
- They added four CRT filters, some with curvature.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm sure many here would disagree, but to me the movement and combat feels sluggish and unresponsive in comparison to pretty much every other indie platformer / metroidvania i've played in years. And its a shame, given that everything else its pretty good.

But then again i dont like how Dead Cells controls either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---------------------

So I've been playing a bit of this update and:

- You can access the Bloodstained content and the Sacred Sorrows with a vanilla save, thank goodness.
- The 8 bit content from the trailer is a mini game you find on the map where you only have 1 life and 3 hits. You need to pay 2500 tears of sorrow each time you want to play it. Its pretty cool and the controls are more responsive than on the default game.
- The Bloodstained content consists of 5 platforming time trials, as far as i know. I've done 3 so far, and they are more annoying than hard, to be honest.
- They added four CRT filters, some with curvature.

How do you get to the Bloodstained stuff?

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get to the Bloodstained stuff?
You need to (i'm going to give you several steps, so you decide how much you want to know):

1. Find a new area, and if you look carefully at your map you will know where it is.
2. You access said area through the Mother of Mothers.
3. From the Knot of the Three Words, continue to the right until you see an opened wall. You can't miss it.

That will give you access to the first challenge. The others are hidden behind breakable walls in other areas.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not going to complain about free content obviously, but it would be nice if they had improved the terrible "jumping to ladder" controls before releasing time trial content which has "jumping to ladder". I met Miriam and did that first challenge, and time after time I'd be right near the end and obviously pushing up as I passed a ladder and the game ignores me and lets me fall to death.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
I'm not going to complain about free content obviously, but it would be nice if they had improved the terrible "jumping to ladder" controls before releasing time trial content which has "jumping to ladder". I met Miriam and did that first challenge, and time after time I'd be right near the end and obviously pushing up as I passed a ladder and the game ignores me and lets me fall to death.
You just have to press up to cling onto the ladder. I personally find it quite reliable. I don't use the sticks, maybe the issue is there?