• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Two of my favourite Metroidvanias of recent years are joining forces on February 18th as a free update to Blasphemous on all platforms.

Tasked with helping Miriam return to her world, players must complete a series of platforming challenges and collect shards to repair her portal home. Filled with traps that force the player to hone their precision platforming abilities, those who pass the test and help Miriam return to her world will have a special reward bestowed upon them.

Team up with Miriam from Bloodstained
New Challenge rooms
Boss rush mode
New render modes
...and a 'demake' mode hidden within the game (teased at the end of the trailer).

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Oh very cool! I didn't imagine those games would crossover but they're putting in the work here!

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
This is cool, I really liked my first playthru of Blasphemous. Tried to go back to Blasphemous for the DLC but just wasn't feeling a second playthru. Maybe this one will be enough to make it stick.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Not what I would have expected. Are the challenge rooms part of the main game? If so I'll use this opportunity to finish my second ng+ playthrough.
This is cool, I really liked my first playthru of Blasphemous. Tried to go back to Blasphemous for the DLC but just wasn't feeling it. Maybe this one will be enough to make it stick.
I don't get this, the added bosses are way better than the rest of the game.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Not what I would have expected. Are the challenge rooms part of the main game? If so I'll use this opportunity to finish my second ng+ playthrough.

I don't get this, the added bosses are way better than the rest of the game.

I don't see what's so hard to get. They added DLC, the prospect of it sounded cool, I started a new game and within an hour or 2 the reality of replaying this whole game didn't sound very appealing so I dropped it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man... can you imagine if Bloodstained had had this art style and these graphics?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't see what's so hard to get. They added DLC, the prospect of it sounded cool, I started a new game and within an hour or 2 the reality of replaying this whole game didn't sound very appealing so I dropped it.

I think the vague way you said "not feeling it" when referring to the DLC didn't give the impression it was down to the "reality of replaying this whole game" and sounded more of an indictment on the DLC content itself?

I've no opinion on the previous DLC, just pointing out how it could have read

On topic tho, this looks pretty neat. I have Blasphemous from Humble Bundle and it looks a lot darker than Bloodstained. Unexpected crossover for sure, but should add an extra bit of fun

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Blasphemous is a good game

haven't beaten it yet though, following a guide for missable stuff does make it a bit of a drag

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I really like about Blasphemous is the artstyle.

The atmosphere of the game is great, they really nailed the Gothic style. Even with the bleak and visceral violence, there's a lot of beautiful imagery in the details and in the scenary. Impressive pixel art.

Is good to see Miriam in the same aesthetic. Wishing a crossover of Blasphemous on a future Bloodstained update as well.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I think the vague way you said "not feeling it" when referring to the DLC didn't give the impression it was down to the "reality of replaying this whole game" and sounded more of an indictment on the DLC content itself?

On topic tho, this looks pretty neat. I have Blasphemous from Humble Bundle and it looks a lot darker than Bloodstained. Unexpected crossover for sure, but should add an extra bit of fun
Noted, edited my post. I should really start a new playthru of Bloodstained as well since it seems like they added a metric ton of content since launch.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Seems like it's a good time to go back to Blasphemous.

How meaty is that first DLC that came out already? Do you really have to replay the whole game to access it?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
As a fan of the M-Castlevanias, anyone other than the OP recommend Bloodstained? I want to try it out but the first level was really underwhelming. I fucking loved the GBA games and Symphony.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
It's so weird seeing this. At one point I held multiple speed-run records in Bloodstained. I switched to Blasphemous, and currently hold records in that, then I wake up to see them both combined? This reeks of IGA's grimy claws coming back to haunt me.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
cool! I've played through Blasphemous twice already. Love the game.
Curious how it's implemented and where to access it.

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the M-Castlevanias, anyone other than the OP recommend Bloodstained? I want to try it out but the first level was really underwhelming. I fucking loved the GBA games and Symphony.
I still think the game is hideous looking but I had a great time and even grinded some endgame stuff, which is atypical for me. Once you get over how it looks, it feels pretty good to play.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017

There's actually three different Bloodstained games, Ritual is like SotN, and Curse 1&2 are more like Castlevania 3. They're all great games and worth playing, in my opinion.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I dont have too much experience with Castlevania, but I really liked Bloodstained. A friend of mine loves SOTN and was satisfied with it.
It's not a nice game to look at but it plays well and has a good structure imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Those few seconds of 8-bit style at the end with authentic sound effect is excellent! Team 17 have published some great stuff this generation; never thought about it before but they're definitely one of my favourite indie publishers along with Curve Digital and Devolver.

I should check this out at some point. This seems like an excellent crossover.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I feel like bloodstained has quite a few crossovers/spin offs at this point

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Nice!
Bloodstained has gotten quite a few of these crossovers now. Good for building awareness for the franchise. Hopefully that means a sequel is on the way. Preferably it'd be pixel based this time ala Blasphemous. A new IGA 16 -32bit style game would be amazing!
I wish this was some new actual levels though instead of just challenge rooms and boss rush, but can't really complain with free though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Damn, Blasphemous has gotten a lot updates after its initial release. I wish there was an easier way to get a physical release now.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Shit. Bloodstained was awesome, Blasphemous looks awesome, probably dropping on it now

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken it doesn't look like you can actually play as Miriam here right? A bit of a bummer but I guess I say that as someone more familiar with Bloodstained than Blasphemous.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Blasphemous is a good game

haven't beaten it yet though, following a guide for missable stuff does make it a bit of a drag
I think the developer fixed most of the permanently missable stuff.

That's how I interpreted it, yeah. It was good enough to me to warrant the second playthrough.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Nice. I'm well into Blasphemous at the moment, over 80% through, so this is more to look forward to.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I love the art style of Blasphemous (as a spaniard that spent years in the region the makers are, doubly so), the music...and it's pretty baroque.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How difficult is Blasphemous? I've watch a little bit of the opening areas and the mechanics look a lot of fun... sword strikes look like they have good feedback, movement looks really tight, counters look intuitive, cool finishing moves like stepping on the shield to squish the enemy...

I used to love Metroid games, tried a few games that seem to be similar like Hollow Knight, Ori, etc... but never really got into the atmosphere of them. The aesthetics of this remind me of 2000AD and look really fun.

I don't mind difficulty being higher, challenge is cool. Just curious how people consider it feels to play.

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I was thinking Bloodborne and wondered how the hell they pulled that collab off.
Bloodstained makes sense, neat.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I got Blasphemous at launch (Switch) but bounced off it pretty quickly...cant remember exactly why but it sounds like a lot has changed since then so I'll give it another try.

I honestly wish they would just re-release Bloodstained with the art style of Blasphemous.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How difficult is Blasphemous? I've watch a little bit of the opening areas and the mechanics look a lot of fun... sword strikes look like they have good feedback, movement looks really tight, counters look intuitive, cool finishing moves like stepping on the shield to squish the enemy...

I used to love Metroid games, tried a few games that seem to be similar like Hollow Knight, Ori, etc... but never really got into the atmosphere of them. The aesthetics of this remind me of 2000AD and look really fun.

I don't mind difficulty being higher, challenge is cool. Just curious how people consider it feels to play.
It's fine. Save points are abundant. If you die you don't lose any items or currency you picked up along the way, you only lose a chunk of your "fervor" bar which is basically for your secondary attacks. You can generally sprint past most enemies to get that back, and continue exploring until the next save point. I beat most bosses in 1-3 attempts with no guides, and I'm not suggesting I'm amazing at the game or anything like that. Difficulty shouldn't be your bottleneck if you're considering it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Save points are abundant. If you die you don't lose any items or currency you picked up along the way, you only lose a chunk of your "fervor" bar which is basically for your secondary attacks. You can generally sprint past most enemies to get that back, and continue exploring until the next save point. I beat most bosses in 1-3 attempts with no guides, and I'm not suggesting I'm amazing at the game or anything like that. Difficulty shouldn't be your bottleneck if you're considering it.
It's more about whether it is fair, consistent, on the player, etc... I like challenge, but sometimes games like this can be frustrating.

What you wrote sounds good. Thanks!