• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
game is definitely legit, if someone likes Metroidvanias, buy this game asap

if someone likes Dark Ambient music, buy this game asap

if someone likes Castlevania, buy this game asap

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I only played a little bit tonight, but it's very cool so far. It doesn't feel as difficult as a Souls game, but you do have to be careful.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
took the plunge, not sure why I was pussying around getting it, I had even loaded 25€ into my eshop wallet days ago for it.

5 minutes in, all I can say is

giphy.gif

Art looks fucking gorgeous on the Switch screen.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The Switch version runs very well (15% through the game), and it looks absolutely fantastic on the Switch screen. In fact, it looks way better than it does docked. It almost feels like it was made with the Switch screen in mind.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Early-ish game tip:

Make sure to buy the key from the old lady and then backtrack back to the door after the first "boss" right at the start, you get a relic that allows you to see invisible platforms that often lead to items and whatnot, one imagines it will be useful throughout the entire game, as you imediatly find 2 places to use it as you go back to the cathedral section.

Killed the demo boss, one shot but with the lady's help just like the demo lol >_< I suck oh well :D

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
they dont really lock you out of anyware at first it seems, you can go to a million places and it's slightly overwhelming heh.

Also, you get the first of the 3 "mcguffins" you need really fast, like barely 1 hour in, so one assumes just getting the 3 "mcguffins" isnt the whole shebang because most prople were saying the game is 10+ hours just for the story, around 15ish with exploration and whatnot.

Parry window is actually pretty generous (in also using a item that increases the parry window), problem is remembering to do it >_<

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i really like this game, albeit it could be a bit more unforgiving for my taste.

it is really not challenging so far, i have 4 bosses down already and progression is also really straight forward.(if someone is familiar with Metroidvanias)

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

combat isn't very engaging, platform is imprecise, the checkpoints are frustrating, idk. It's just not fun. I think the IGN review was fairly spot in. I'm like 2 hours in I think and it's just ... yikes.
Looks sick tho and the lore is wild.

I mean it doesn't for one, as pointed out by several people here and reviews. But secondly, why even engage with drive-by posts?
Agreed.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I mean it doesn't for one, as pointed out by several people here and reviews. But secondly, why even engage with drive-by posts?
Was wondering why they thought it was bad before purchasing it myself, just trying to do my research before dropping almost 40 bucks CAD. Didnt realize I was engaging with a "drive by" post

Oct 27, 2017
Played about an hour so far and beat a boss. Really dig it . Only complaint so far is the music is kind of lacking. I kind of wish it was a bit heavier. It's certainly evocative of the environment , which is good.

Absolutely adore the visuals .

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Was wondering why they thought it was bad before purchasing it myself, just trying to do my research before dropping almost 40 bucks CAD. Didnt realize I was engaging with a "drive by" post

Well the second post where he explains why he doesn't like it is fine and to each it's own, but just coming into a thread and going "this gamensucks yikes" doesn't seem particularly informative but hey that's just me.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I just think there's a metric fuckton of other games with way better mechanics.

which is a goddamn shame because I literally took the day off to play this I was hella hyped.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, I really liked the demo. It's not without flaws, but it looks like a solid 8/10.

That said, I'm not an expert in this particular genre.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
game is definitely legit, if someone likes Metroidvanias, buy this game asap

if someone likes Dark Ambient music, buy this game asap

if someone likes Castlevania, buy this game asap

Won't be able to play it until later today, but how is the level design? Is it too like a game from thirty years ago? The area in the demo, while short, seemed way too linear and almost vertical.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
game is fantastic, I can't see anyone that likes metroidvanias not like this. At the very least its a "well made one of those", with amazing art style and crazy religious themes. But hey, again, to each it's own. Back to what matters:

Sooooo...
were there actually any wall clinging spots before you reach the mountain area, because it just TELLS you how to do it, it doesnt actually give you the ability to do it, and that feels VERY Super Metroid-esque heh (as in you could always wall jump, but you dont find the little aliens that show you how to until later in the game)

Won't be able to play it until later today, but how is the level design? Is it too like a game from thirty years ago? The area in the demo, while short, seemed way too linear and almost vertical.

It's... fine so far, it's very open in where you can go, but the levels so far have been much like the demo, it's not maze-y like Axiom Verge for example?

Edit: oooooh level design in Jondo really picks up, starts getting a bit puzzle-y too. And it has 1 hit kill spikes so there's that lol :p

Last edited: