• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
So basically they just use religion as a backdrop, but there is not underlying Christian themes? Not going to lie, that kinda dampers the game for me a tad.

I mean, I haven't played this yet, but it looks like it's meant to be an exploration/criticism of religious themes. I doubt they picked the aesthetic for zero reason

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I haven't played this yet, but it looks like it's meant to be an exploration/criticism of religious themes. I doubt they picked the aesthetic for zero reason
Right? I doubt the game is specifically about Jesus or Mary or the Pope but as a game this steeped in JudeoChristian and Catholic iconography with a story and characters it is nearly impossible for it to not bump up against themes of faith, sin, righteousness and religion as an institution. How it handles those themes and what questions it's interested in tackling/answering though is to be seen.

I doubt this is a case like the time with David Cage where he tried to pretend there was nothing thematically political/racial in regards to Detroit Become Human. At least I'd hope the devs of this game aren't that naive to say they aren't making a game about religion despite what they're showing.

Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

Based on interviews with the developers, one of their primary goals was to make a game that reflected their own Spanish cultural background and traditions. Just like how Japanese games tend to reflect the culture of their country of origin.

That said, they've been very shy in terms of talking about the actual story or any specific themes. I imagine that's all full of spoilers and, given the type of storytelling employed in what we've seen so far, a lot could be left open to interpretation.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I mean you all saw the first boss, where you cut him open then fill your helmet with its blood and then put it back on.

I'm sure it's not a pro-religion game.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Based on interviews with the developers, one of their primary goals was to make a game that reflected their own Spanish cultural background and traditions. Just like how Japanese games tend to reflect the culture of their country of origin.

That said, they've been very shy in terms of talking about the actual story or any specific themes. I imagine that's all full of spoilers and, given the type of storytelling employed in what we've seen so far, a lot could be left open to interpretation.
The way I look at it, it uses Spanish Catholic lore just as From's Otogi used Shinto.

It's used for flair and inspiration, but not as a critique nor a endorsement. It takes the iconography of the Holy Week and melts it to create a brand new original world.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Positive review (8/10) from Destructoid.
On that note, I can't get Blasphemous off my mind. I may never fully grasp the opaque story even with the inevitable community-led theories and explainers lending a hand, but that's okay. Even taken as a fanatical fever-dream, this game delivers. Some aspects aren't as fine-tuned or ambitious as they could've been, leading to unevenness, but there's so much for metroidvania fans to latch onto here.
https://www.destructoid.com/review-blasphemous-566008.phtml

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The wild thing about Blasphemous is that, if you exclude the action itself, is not much more grotesque than anything from the Holy Week.

Dark Catholic iconography is kind of bananas and usually shocking for people from Protestant countries.

lUuHUYz.jpg

We kind of take the whole thing abour martyred zombie son of God a bit too literally.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
any consensus on length yet? The 25€ price tag is a big high even tho I loved the demo :(

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
any consensus on length yet? The 25€ price tag is a big high even tho I loved the demo :(

I played through it twice and on my first playthrough when watching my time, I hit the 50% point at around 10 hours played. There are a lot of secrets and hidden paths however and I wasn't able to complete one quest because I went a different way after accepting it so there's some variation there too.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I played through it twice and on my first playthrough when watching my time, I hit the 50% point at around 10 hours played. There are a lot of secrets and hidden paths however and I wasn't able to complete one quest because I went a different way after accepting it so there's some variation there too.

I dont do multiple runs. I do explore a lot in the run I DO do. 10 hours sounds about right for me, Super Metroid is nearing that and as fantastic as it is, Im pretty much ready to be done with it >_>

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For the price point, if you like this style of game then i can recommend it. Even though some of the other reviews mentioned problems with the combat, I actually really enjoyed it and was one of my highlights. I also really appreciated the open nature of the game to begin with.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The elevated grotesqueness compared to its peers is what made it stand out, IMO.

It's hard to explain, but there's something about this game's art style that makes me really uncomfortable, despite not having a religious upbringing. There's something about gruesome gothic Catholic imagery that puts me in a weird state of mind.

It's not a criticism by any means, I'm fascinated by how the look of this game alone makes me feel.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm close to 100% at around 18 hours. To the main boss was probably around 12.

nice nice

Now the question becomes, do I want to day 1 this as I am just about to finish super Metroid hmm. No joke, and I guess that's how marketing works, but if the game had a pre-order discount, even just 10% I would probably buy it without thinking. As it stands, I just go "well, it will be the same price whenever I buy it so no rush" >_>

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
*Drop down the entire score just because they think the combat is based on memory*

What kind of complaint is that?! And that steam achievement shit deserves it's own thread...

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Reviewers: how's that Switch performance in actuality? Does it stay solid?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I am not religious myself but I always saw religion as an interesting art form.
It's like art, but taken super serious by people as if they are the answer of all. I kinda like that.

I especially like the effort people put into religion related things such as painting, sculpture, architecture etc.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How many types of weapons are there? Any reviewer could answer?

Spoiler tag the answer if necessary.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the demo but this game seems quality through and through. Love the enemy design and the impact some of your hits have, hope it sells well enough to be a success.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it not up to pre-order/buy on steam?
Also is it normal to fear that the game is short on content due to the price point?