• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Finished it.

I liked the first half. The second half, not so much.

I feel the story fell apart when you meet with Carver and you have to navigate the fog. The end part in the house was way too long and boring. I got the "Take his face" ending which I guess is the bad ending. Well, at least the dog lived.

Too bad, really would've wanted to like this more. Well it's not the worst horror game I've played, by far, and if you have Game Pass, give it a chance - there are some cool and spooky parts. Just overall not a "great" game.

Oh, and the dog is awesome. Really liked him.

I completely agree with you

It's better than LoF by far, but not great, Bloober has to take more time with their games, add more gameplay and less repetitive situations using the excuse of mental health.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean honestly Alan Wake was even more intolerable on that front. (Especially considering the marketing campaign they had that was almost downright lying)

I liked Blair Witch. Thought it was solid. Strong atmosphere, story is decent. I didn't care much for "combat" but then again I didn't want combat in this so fine by me.

Last part was a tad too long, but all in all, it was rather well made.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Seems like artis designers liked Alan Wake and Life is Strange. Anyway what's with the horrible framerate and framepacing? Guess Blopper is in the game. I love their games, but seriously guy for 3rd time "this"......shaking my head.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
The framerate only seems bad during the day sections? Night time it's fine for me, on one x.

I finished the game in one sitting, enjoyed the second half FAR more than the first. By the time you're getting the bits you need for the thing (il say no more as to not spoil anything) I was done with the whole running around in circles.

The second half was incredible, the game really surprised me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to make a quick post about some of the different things you can do as you play that may -- or may not -- have an effect on the experience and
endings
. Going to spoiler everything, since it's in-game stuff:

1) How you treat the dog matters. Including, but not limited to, given it snacks, petting it, etc.
2) Smashing idols -- even touching the idle forces the player to smash it. This may be tied to other endings, since smashing idols give more and more control of you to the Witch. This may have an effect on doggo, since the dog doesn't like the idols (you can run past them and the dog will eventually follow you)
3) Finding pictures of victims (I don't think this has an effect, but some of them are tied into the idols)
4) Killing the monsters with the flashlight -- many have said that this contributes to the ending. I am testing this.
5) Answering the phone / calling Jess whenever you can. This definitely changes 1 cutscene near the end, and accounts for an achievement.
6) Calling pizza boy (no ending, but tied to achievement)
7) Leaving the dog -- claims this effects the ending. I have tried leaving the dog (holding C), and carrying the dog until the next cutscene starts. I got the same ending both times, so I kind of dispute this, and the cutscenes that follow appear to be the same.
8) When in Carver's house, avoid doing anything the Witch tells you to / interacting with the 'ghosts'. I avoided doing this, but was still forced into the same "Take his face" ending.
9) Finding out what happened to Peter by opening bunker door. Tied to an achievement, but unsure if it makes a difference on the ending.
10) Doing as Carver asks on the radio, or disobeying -- seems to have the same results, ends up in the same dialogue.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Bloober kind of split the baby between the two films; the first half of this game plays neatly to the strengths of the original movie; quiet moments, eerily beautiful forest areas, and a pace that -- while not entirely smooth -- at least has a stepping that is in sync with a rise in terror you'd want and expect to find in a Blair Witch property. The other half of the game takes its cue from that less-than-stellar sequel/remake of the first film (not the weirdo Blair Witch 2 direct-to-dvd thing, but the 2016 movie by Adam Wingard) -- that movie veers into monster-movie territory, and lacks a lot of the simplicity of suggestion in the first. That being said, it also included a pretty amazing 20+ minute payoff for its boring characters in the form of a really spooky house that should be familiar to fans. Bloober goes all out in this half, and you're reminded pretty quickly of their style of weird, stream-of-consciousness horror.

All the while, there's a Silent Hill-esque character story going on underneath all of this. Whether it works or not, it kind of plays backseat in my opinion to these two distinct slices of horror. There's not a great transition between them, but by the time the Bloober payoff comes, it's well-received, if overlong. In fact, despite being only a 4 hour or so game, Blair Witch probably could have benefited from having each one of its disparate chapters to be a couple minutes less on average.

I love this game and am really glad that Bloober got to have a take on the BW universe. Would be awesome to see them revisit it, but somehow I doubt that'll happen.

Having just beat the game I totally see where you're coming from. I don't have any particular attachment to Blair Witch lore so I can't really speak to that, but the early half really does give of that kind of "trapped in the woods" implication the first movie had. Second half gets a lot more bonkers but I didn't find it noticeably weaker. As far as the monsters go I didn't care for them at all, even if I did like their design and the way they moved around. Admittedly I did find the
part were you have to navigate around them in the fog
to be pretty creepy, but ultimately they were the weakest aspect of the game.

The last section of the game does go on too long, although Bloober does do what they do best here. I got what I can only assume is the bad ending although
I did manage to keep Bullet alive. Also the ending slides brought up things I didn't even know you had any influence over so I'm curious to look into that.

Ultimately I enjoyed it, you can get through it a couple of sittings so it doesn't necessarily wear out its welcome. Playing it via gamepass probably made me more lenient on it's weaker elements but If you enjoyed Bloobers previous work then you'll probably like this.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Beat it, hated it, incredibly disappointed and shocked at how lazy my ending was. Another disastrous entry into one of my favorite franchises. I'm crestfallen and shocked.

Also,
I made up with Jess but wound up with the "take his face" ending. Seeing a text card say "Jess tried to make it work but Ellis spent too much time in the woods" is one of the most absurd and laughable sentences I have ever read. Just astoundingly dumb.

Last edited:

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
As others have echoed, the first half is definitely the stronger and better half and the ending sequence takes way too long. Even while rushing, it took much longer than I'd have wanted and people who explore every inch may feel the same too.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the people that liked the first half more never played Layers of Fear or didn't lie LoF. I thought the first half was the weakest part of this game. Second half was where the team's talents shined.

... Even if the story used mental illness as a major point and storytelling crutch.

Also I can't see how anyone beat this in 4 hours in a first try.
"Playtime past 2 weeks: 4.2h"
My achievements if you want: https://steamcommunity.com/id/zips/stats/appid/1092660/achievements

It's not a long game at all if you do not care about finding every single collectible.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the people that liked the first half more never played Layers of Fear or didn't lie LoF. I thought the first half was the weakest part of this game. Second half was where the team's talents shined.

... Even if the story used mental illness as a major point and storytelling crutch.

"Playtime past 2 weeks: 4.2h"
My achievements if you want: https://steamcommunity.com/id/zips/stats/appid/1092660/achievements

It's not a long game at all if you do not care about finding every single collectible.

I mean, I wasn't hunting collectibles whatsoever and it took me at least twice that time.

But admittedly I have a horrible sense of orientation and it sure as hell carried over into this game.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
I can't figure out how to play a damn voicemail. I'm on the screen on my cell where it says you have a voice message and I press every button and stick on the controller but nothing will play it. Just beeps.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded on gamepass for pc, immediately puked at the shitty performance, roamed around the starting areas bored out of my mind not knowing where the fuck i have to go for 30min , immediately uninstalled.

Gamepass saved me from yet another piece of shit.

Everdred

Oct 27, 2017
I've been walking with this injured dog for 10 minutes on loop. I assume I'm forced to abandon him?

Edit: I watched a video and I'm walking at like half the speed. It took me twenty minutes of walking to trigger the scene.

Last edited:

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I've been walking with this injured dog for 10 minutes on loop. I assume I'm forced to abandon him?

Edit: I watched a video and I'm walking at like half the speed. It took me twenty minutes of walking to trigger the scene.

Not really, just walk until Ellis lose the conscience or drop the dog, it's your choice.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Question: has anyone gotten anything OTHER than the "bad ending" so far? I see references to multiple endings, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention a diff ending that I've seen (may have just missed it).

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Question: has anyone gotten anything OTHER than the "bad ending" so far? I see references to multiple endings, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention a diff ending that I've seen (may have just missed it).

very few people have the achievements for the other endings according to true achievements. I havent seen any guides on how to get them yet, what you have to do is extremely subtle and unclear it seems. Im waiting for guides before playing again.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Wow so I played this tonight and havent beaten it yet, but holy shit I really love it. I think the story is better and more interesting than the movies lol. Really cool mechanics involving the dog and camcorder, and the game really fucks with you psychologically with the environments in really cool ways. Very surreal and atmospheric for sure. Ending part im on now is pretty terrifying and even sad, though its definitely intentional. You can tell the developer didnt have the biggest budget, but certainly loved the IP and wanted to do the best they could with what they had and imo definitely succeeded. This is definitely going to be a cult favorite for many horror fans whether you're a blair witch fan or not.

Oct 25, 2017

I just finished my *third* playthrough, and got a variation on the "bad ending." Kind of frustrated, actually, because I did things *drastically* differently. Like, I never crushed an idol, and avoided killing things. I think the ending I got may have been a "variation" on the bad ending, since this one had information about characters and stuff that was a bit different (also, I think
the dog acted differently; barking at me instead of hanging its head in sorrow
).

I definitely feel like they made getting different outcomes too difficult / confusing here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Holy shit did that last section go way, way, WAY longer than it needed to. And the ending was dumb. I am curious to see the different endings and how to get them though, anyone got a link for that?

It was the same for me, walking painfully slow and nothing seemed to be happening. Really frustrating, might be a bug?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I just finished my *third* playthrough, and got a variation on the "bad ending." Kind of frustrated, actually, because I did things *drastically* differently. Like, I never crushed an idol, and avoided killing things. I think the ending I got may have been a "variation" on the bad ending, since this one had information about characters and stuff that was a bit different (also, I think
the dog acted differently; barking at me instead of hanging its head in sorrow
).

I definitely feel like they made getting different outcomes too difficult / confusing here.
Hmm yea, that seems to potentially cross a line of obscurity that isn't helpful. But who knows, maybe it just needs to be a cult classic XD

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really love the game, it had weaker parts but the atmo was great even in the last part. I prefer the last part actually.

Got the bad ending it seems, excited to find out more about the other endings

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the shitty xb1x performance I'm tired of trying to find camo dog. Sometimes he's literally at my feet and I still struggle to find him.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Game takes quite the nosedive once you reach the point where
Carver sends you on a neverending fetch quest.

It's slow, tedious and boring.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm only up to chapter 12 and i like this game enough but none if it has really felt very blair witch-y to me other than the woods setting

even the stick idols seem just kind of tacked on

the woods look really good tho

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
This and on top of I get lost in the woods so easy I'm having a really hard time enjoying it.

I've had 20 minutes or so on it and I really can't be arsed anymore, it's just a mess.

For me, this is a problem with Game Pass (which I've mentioned before) I paid nothing for this game, so it has no worth for me to keep going. If I'd paid £15 I would be more inclined to keep playing for a bit longer - probably to completion. Same thing happened with the Gears games and Ori, with Steamworld Dig I hammered it when I bought it, can't be arse grinding the second game because I paid nothing for it.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
It started off interesting but got quite repetitive (in many ways), kind of dragged towards the end. Some nice atmosphere, but not too scary I would say.
Got the bad ending, and I can't imagine many people getting the good ending without reading up on how to actually do it... I would never have figured it out myself, at least. Also, the game didn't seem very optimized (1060 on PC) and crashed a few times, along with getting stuck in certain doorways (had to crouch for some reason).

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I don't know what the fuck is going on but I'm stuck at

the sawmill puzzle. I went to camp b, fought some enemies and cannot find the fuse or valve handle anywhere. I see the tool box and the picnic table but it isn't letting me interact with anything!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the fuck is going on but I'm stuck at

the sawmill puzzle. I went to camp b, fought some enemies and cannot find the fuse or valve handle anywhere. I see the tool box and the picnic table but it isn't letting me interact with anything!

Restart to an earlier save. That happend to me as well. Game glitched on me several times.

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the shitty xb1x performance I'm tired of trying to find camo dog. Sometimes he's literally at my feet and I still struggle to find him.
I only booted it and got past the title card but I ran into this multiple times in that 5-10 minutes of roaming.

Installed it on Xbox and PC.
PC threw me off because it defaulted to 2160p and high settings and ran fine (9400/1660), but as soon as I got past the title card it was terrible. I booted up Fraps and it was 16 FPS. I threw it down to medium and nothing changed and then low and suddenly went up to 40-45. I then dropped the resolution down to 1440p and I still had to keep it on low so I put it back on 2160p. I play on a 4K tv so dropping it down to 1080 to keep it on high looks worse.

Still looked better then the Xbox One X so I'm gonna stick there having heard about performance issues.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it this morning. Excellent atmosphere and world design. Scares were decent enough. Got the bad ending, probably like most people. There's really no hints or indication of how to get the good ending and I genuinely thought I was making good choices.

The last chapter of the game really turns into a walking sim with how long and repetitive it is.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Finished it last night. I give it a solid 7. I loved the atmosphere, I didn't care for how the story went. I was hoping for something way different. Last part dragged on way too long for me.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it this morning. Excellent atmosphere and world design. Scares were decent enough. Got the bad ending, probably like most people. There's really no hints or indication of how to get the good ending and I genuinely thought I was making good choices.

The last chapter of the game really turns into a walking sim with how long and repetitive it is.

Bloober is a great dev but I think they're a bit too stuck on the "endless corridor" formula they started with Layers of Fear, and it doesn't really work so well with a location like the last chapter's, it makes sense for the forest given the lore but for something like
the witch's house
they really overused it. I was surprised how much time was spent there, it felt like a third of the game. Kinda loses the spook factor after awhile and for me it became tedious. Pacing is integral to good horror and if something is overdone you can easily become desensitized to it, especially when the environment doesn't really change that much beyond the visual distortions and hallucinations.

It's probably a difficult thing to do development wise with horror games that have no combat, yet games like Outlast and Amnesia/Soma had good environmental design and sense of progression that kept things feeling fresh, whereas there's only so much you can do with Blair Witch's final area. The solution of course would to have made it shorter but at least it wouldn't feel like a repetitive slog at that point.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
You might have several auto saves from the game. Check first. I had several auto saves but all were separate.

EDIT.. saw your 2nd post.

Thanks for trying to help :(. It was odd. The autosave attempt:

let me interact with the fuse box but when I went to the toolbox there was no option to pick up the fuse. Also the light that came on from cranking the generator went out.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well... Played for a good 15 minutes and then I got stuck between a tree and some rocks and couldn't get out.
I already hate how linear this feels despite giving you the location of a big 'open' forest.

I had to restart 7 times due to getting stuck in geometry.

Just finished, 4/10. Ok freebie on gamepass

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure you cannot get the good ending on a first playthrough? You seem to need the battery for that and you get it at the end of the game and it appears in your inventory when starting a new game.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hype for this is only obscured by how frustrating it is to find that goddamned blair witch 2 director's cut edit that theres a dozen reviews of but no way to actually see the damned thing

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Having actually been lost in the woods IRL I would rather re-experience that than play through this game again. It's crushing because there are some real glimpses of greatness in here, but it's so bogged down with bad decisions (like that atrocious fog stealth segment) and technical issues (why is my character too large to fit through the doorframes in the house without crouching??) that I can't actually recommend it to anybody.