• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
As one of the five people worldwide who kinda enjoyed X-Blades (mostly because I *really* sucked at DMC back then), is Blades of Time better?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Via GoNintendo:
May 2nd, 2019 — Blades of Time, the time-warping Hack 'n' Slash action adventure featuring fast-paced combat with swords, firearms and magic, is now heading for a launch on Nintendo Switch on May 14th. The remastered Switch release is an upgrade over Gaijin Entertainment's PC version of the game, which is still a fan-favorite with many and currently enjoys 86% positive reviews on Steam. Now, old and new fans alike will be able to enjoy Blades of Time anytime and anywhere thanks to the Nintendo Switch's portable versatility. In the freshly revamped multiplayer mode, players can engage in action-packed MOBA combat leading hordes of NPC monsters against the armies of other players.

The story-driven single player campaign sees the daring treasure huntress Ayumi set out on a journey to an ancient island to reach the hidden treasures of a long lost civilization. To fight her way through hordes of monsters and other creatures of magic, the heroine can perform more than 40 unique attacks, utilizing powerful melee combos, firearms, powerful magic and even rewind time.

With Ayumi's time-rewind ability, players can bring an almost limitless amount of strategies to the battlefield. After a time rewind, Ayumi's shadow in time will repeat the last actions of the player, like fighting monsters or luring them away. At the same time, the player can then charge into battle with Ayumi again, using the additional firepower - or detraction - to defeat even the biggest hordes of enemies or the most powerful bosses. You can repeat this tactic again and again in the same battle to bring up to five shadows of Ayumi from different timelines simultaneously.

For those ready to cross swords with real competitors, the game also offers a challenging multiplayer mode, uniquely combining the game's third-person Hack 'n' Slash combat with strategic MOBA elements. Players can choose their avatar among several heroines and heroes, all featuring different skills and special abilities. Each player then takes charge of an army of NPC monsters, trying to be the first to destroy the enemy's stronghold.

Really out of nowhere. It was a pretty average BTA released in 2012 (with a character design older than that) that you can get for around 3€ on sale on PC nowadays.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

As one of the five people worldwide who kinda enjoyed X-Blades (mostly because I *really* sucked at DMC back then), is Blades of Time better?

its actually much better. Its not exactly good per se, its still mediocre, but its not unplayable and it looked ok back then, I actually finished it.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
This doesn't look too bad, the combat actually looks pretty damn fun!

I'm not too familiar with the game, how has it been on other platforms? Review scores seem to be averaging around a 6, 6.5/10

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Well now, that's a bit of an odd announcement. Having said that, I played it when it came out on PS3 and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's fun when you get a whole mess of Ayumi running around on screen at once.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I played through this on X360 and PC eons ago.

The environment design is really good, but everything else has aged like a wet ham.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Huh. I've literally never heard of this game, lol.

Looks like it could be dumb fun, but I think I'll pass... if it's ever on deep deeeeeeep sale (sub-$10), I might pick it up then.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Decent game, an improved sequel and character is attractive. Just a character action game, though, so more stabbing than adventuring.

Grab it on PC for pennies and 4K.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Huh.... no seriously that's all I got to say! Like this is just a random choice for a rerelease 😅

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's gotta be one of the most random re-releases on the Switch.

I'm going to guess that the amount of people clamoring for a port of BoT was pretty close to zero, and this is coming from a someone who was happy for a port of Sphinx.

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose something like this could've been passable without the likes of Bayonetta but, with them, I'm not sure who this will really appeal to. It looks pretty bleh

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've played this. Horrible character design aside, it was fun, but like $10 worth of fun.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
That's crazy. I would have never expected this game of all would get ported. Hopefully they also port the first since that one was at least funny bad instead of blades of time which was just nothing.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't really know what people has against this game, I thought it was pretty fun (and leagues above X-Blades, which it's actually not a sequel too) back when i played it. Nice too see that it isn't abandoned.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are counting on enough people not remembering this game's existence and the clothes (or lack, thereof) of the main character, in the hopes to grab some cash. These games were... not good, let's just say that. Second beats the first but yeah, if they really care about this thing they should just reboot it or something.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Of all the games that releases last gen, this is one of them. Wish Switch would collect some more actual hidden gems.