• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Still have my original game in the loft. Loved it as a 17 year old. Will defo pick this up. Think I've only ever seen 3 of the endings.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
it's great to read this. especially after the whole "it's in oblivion" thing.

there's hope for other games yet

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the first game that comes to mind when someone mentions "atmosphere in video games". It's exactly like what you would expect a Blade Runner game to be: Investigating crime scenes, talking to people for clues and leads, issuing Voight-Kampff tests, and occasionally retiring Replicants all to a perfect soundtrack and set of detailed, rainy environments to explore.

EDIT: Forgot I already posted in this thread, but a Blade Runner remaster is special enough I don't mind repeating myself

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Someone bought me this game as a Christmas present when I was younger and I didn't have a PC powerful enough to play it. So I'm definitely picking this up.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the graphics are improved by AI upscale and not smear filters. Loved this game as a child.

May 15, 2019
Hopefully they do it justice, the line about updated character models, animations and cutscenes has me worried, but given the source code is all gone I suppose they have to.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wonder what they will do in regards to up-rezzing the characters? If I remember correctly, the original game used some form of voxels for their character graphics.
A damn fine game, still got the pc version in its big box up in the attic.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got the original few weeks ago on GOG, guess I'll wait before I'll play it.

Oct 29, 2017
I am hoping more SCUMM™ games come to more platforms as a result as well.
I mean... Night Dive is unlikely to bring them places... but *YOU* can: https://www.scummvm.org/

Every SCUMM based game is out for sale on PC, whether the LucasArts SE versions of Monkey 1 & 2, the Double Fine remasters of Full Throttle, Day of The Tentacle, and Grim Fandango (technically the GrimE engine, which is supported by ResidualVM), or running inside ScummVM or other similar solutions in Steam and GoG. And every game (except Grim Fandango) has the original files just... sitting there... inside their install directory.

ScummVM is fully open source and can run these files on PC, Mac, Linux, Switch, PS3, PSP, iPhone, Android, Dreamcast, Wii, etc.

Obviously a few of those you'll have to hack your device, something you might not want to do, but these games have been ported EVERYWHERE by dedicated hobby programmers.

On topic: there's some grumbling on the ScummVM Discord/IRC (they're linked) about this Night Dive version. Apparently Night Dive was in talks with the organization for using their reverse engineering of Blade Runner that was added to ScummVM 2.1, and powers the existing GOG release, but that fell through. People aren't sure how much they can say to due NDA's but people are speculating they might be engineering the ScummVM reverse engineering into their own proprietary engine, which, if true, is breaking the rules of the various FOSS licenses ScummVM is using. But it's worth noting: nobody knows what Night Dive is doing with this at the moment.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Nightdive is really killing it with these "obscure game" revivals.

I hope they can sort out the whole No One Lives Forever deal out.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Can't wait for this! I nearly jumped in when it came out on GOG but now I'll definitely get it if it's going to be remastered

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I hope the PC version gets an update. If not I'll double dip for the right price on the consoles.

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
I hope the PC version gets an update. If not I'll double dip for the right price on the consoles.

Nightdive Studios, known for restoring classic video games such as System Shock and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, has partnered with production company Alcon Entertainment to restore the 1997 point-and-click adventure title Blade Runner for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, as well as a PC version through online storefront Steam.

I'm hoping for a physical release of the console versions. A Limited Run Games release of the Switch version would be pretty sweet.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how good this will be on consoles but I can't wait. One of my favourite PC games of all time and still have the original game :)

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was gonna grab this on GOG recently but I might just wait now for this release. I assume it'll basically be the current GOG version.

Chowchilla

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
curious how they'll do this with the source code lost. the audio is fine, but you can't widescreen a prerendered background with zooming it in like that god awful World at War Blu-Ray.

AI upscaling? hm

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
Do you consider this a remaster, a remake or a restoration?
I was debating with a friend about this. He argued that it can't be considered a remaster, because source code is lost, so there's not a "master" to begin with. He said that he would call this game a remake instead. I argued that if end-user-experience is not indistinguishable from a "real" remaster, then it should be called a remaster. If it looks like a remaster, behaves like a remaster, smells like a remaster... it should be called remaster. Maybe pseudo-remaster? But after debating a little more, I prefer to call this game a "restoration" or an "enhanced restoration". Source code has been reverse engineered, recovered or recreated. Graphics will be upscaled and enhanced using AI.
I think it's really appropiate that the creators are using the term "Enhanced Edition".

Last edited:

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Just thought about the character models and it should be doable to resize them.

they are stored as slices in vertical axis each slice having a vector presentation of surface in 2D.
This makes resolution in horizontal axis pretty nice already and as I'm quite sure creating more slices in between them would be decently easy. (Perhaps creating distance field model from flices and new slices from it... etc.)

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish they would bring it to mobile as well. Remember being so hyped for this game back in the days.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Wonder if we'll get more news over the coming weeks regarding a confirmed release date. I could never get the original discs working on Win9 or 10 but I'd definitely prefer to buy it on console.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I don't suppose there have been any updates on this? Would love to play it on Switch ASAP.

(Sorry for the necro bump, but let's will this into existence)

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Loved this game back in the day, still love the feel/atmosphere even now, true to the movie but it's own story, will buy the remaster