• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The Blade Runner game is one of my top ten favorite games of all-time. I am absolutely sold on this. Good thing I didn't jump on the GOG version yet. I still have my discs but it's a nightmare getting them to work in Win10.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Is there a developer around that you think does what they do better? I struggle to think of any.
I am not shitting on their work, as I said I think they are doing competent work, especially on the technical side (framerates etc.) but for the word "phenomenal" I would expect also bigger updates to assets.
For example I think the RE4:HD project (not a port, I know, so not 100% comparable) is doing a more extensive overhaul than what they did to Turok, which I find disappointing for a commercial product. But you know, that's just my opinion man.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. This must feel so great as one of the original developers.

Neat. I love the game but most people will not. It's very...obtuse.

Yeah I imagine we'll see a bunch of "THIS is the the game you guys were asking for all these years??" threads. But fuck it, it's worth it :b

Also it's a point and click so it's gonna be at least somewhat obtuse

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Whawhawha?!?!?

Almost played through all of the game when it first came out but my computer crapped out at the time and I basically gave up on PC gaming.

Got the GOG release for my macbook but haven't bothered to connect it to my TV and set up a wireless mouse/keyboard in order to play.

May have to wait a bit longer to try this version on Switch or maybe PS4 if it's superior (in that case I'll probably get both).

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for anyone interested in this as an adventure game: it is super obtuse and probably unfinishable without a guide in hand. It's also an adventure game you can totally die in so save often.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
In on PS4, shit this is awesome I love BR and from what I've seen this game is great

Hopefully they make good use of the touchpad on PS4, works extremely well for point n clicks

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Nightdive do such great work :D

If the original is indeed obtuse, hopefully they'll include a hint system. If not, UHS Hints has always been a favourite resource of adventure game guidance, where you can unlock one hint at a time to point you in the right direction

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, fantastic. I've not played this since it came out. I love Nightdive Studio's work too, so just great news.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely loved this game when I was younger. Having said that, this strikes me as a difficult game to remaster? I could be wrong.

Edit: I'm reading online that the original assets may have been lost? How are they going to do a remaster?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how well they deal with the pre rendered backgrounds assuming the sources have been lost. Hopefully make use of some good AI upscaling like many modders are doing these days.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The visual style was hugely important when this released. If they fuck that up then it's a hard pass but I wish the devs well.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is fucking awesome news. Such a great game. My longest gaming session ever was my first playthrough back when it first came out: 8pm to 8am. I was hooked.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I hope they include the non-english dubs. The Italian was especially good, because they went to the lienght of hiring Harrison Ford's and Ritger Hauer's italian voices for the (actually unrelated from the mmovies) characters in the game. It was very atmospheric to hear those voices 15 years after the movie!

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I wonder how they will treat the background. Resident Evil Remake had better assets available, and yet they had a mountain to climb. Blade Runner has 1997 video compression that had to run on a Pentium 90.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they'll pull this off. Blade Runner had some CRAZY prerendered scencery. Will they rebuild those backgrounds form the ground up?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can make an original Sleepaway Camp game next ;)
giphy.gif

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day when Westwood's Blade Runner comes to consoles. Kinda surreal.

I bought this on GoG recently, but I still haven't played it yet. I honestly kinda hate playing games on PC, so I think I'll double dip on console.

I don't know why, but it feels great in a strange way to see old pc games on modern consoles... I'd like to see more of that.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Very recently played the GOG re-release (bless them) but i'm down for another ending. Bring it on!

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
im gonna definatly get it, i love adventure games on consoles. really liked day of the tentacle and grim fandango

i cant believe ps4 gets Blade Runner before it gets Turok

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Really hope for supersampled/improved rendering of voxel characters.

Yeah, I'm curious about what they'll do here. Either they create some new hi-res voxel models or replace them with polygon ones. I doubt anything can be done with the original models except use them as a base for the animation as the detail just isn't there.

If they keep the characters as-is, they'll stand out

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Love how much attention this game is getting lately.

Bought it on GOG day 1 to support, but I may wait for this remaster to play it now.

And here's hoping for a physical release.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
FYI for anyone interested in this as an adventure game: it is super obtuse and probably unfinishable without a guide in hand.

Not true. It's perfectly finishable , especially for those with experience in the genre as it was at the time.
As a 17 yr old without internet who had never played an adventure game (curse of monkey island came a month later) it was a challenge and I reloaded plenty of deaths, save often indeed.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm curious about what they'll do here. Either they create some new hi-res voxel models or replace them with polygon ones. I doubt anything can be done with the original models except use them as a base for the animation as the detail just isn't there.

If they keep the characters as-is, they'll stand out
Replacing models with new polygonal ones, certainly would make things a lot easier. (and allow proper perspective as well.)