• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Given the nature of console certification, I cannot give a timeline to that, sorry. We did have to spend a little extra time fixing console specific issues, but that's just waiting on QA now to give a final pass and all clear. So you shouldn't be waiting too long.

Cool, looking forward to it!
One question regarding the change log:
  • A toggle between the original and our Enhanced Edition videos,
Is this also planned for the background videos? Or just the cut scenes? Having an option to use the original "gritty" backgrounds would be a cool option as well, I think!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Cool, looking forward to it!
One question regarding the change log:
  • A toggle between the original and our Enhanced Edition videos,
Is this also planned for the background videos? Or just the cut scenes? Having an option to use the original "gritty" backgrounds would be a cool option as well, I think!
It applies to the backgrounds too by definition. They are also videos, complex layered videos but videos none-the-less.
Blade Runner is basically an FMV game taken to its logical extreme.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
It applies to the backgrounds too by definition. They are also videos, complex layered videos but videos none-the-less.
Blade Runner is basically an FMV game taken to its logical extreme.
Very nice! Thank you for listening to the feedback by everyone, it is not taken for granted! 😸

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Are they looking into getting it released on consoles in Australia?
I know it was denied certification, but just wondering if they still trying to figure out a way to release it

Aeywoo

Aug 26, 2022
Sorry, we can't release this in Australia on consoles so you won't find it there. It was was refused classification by the ACB.

Argh. Another failure by the classifications board. Why bother having an 18+ rating then smh. Thanks...

Out of interest, for what reason?

It's not clear to us why, given the IARC process we don't actually get feedback. We think it's because the game has mention of underage exploitation.

Yeah, I can see that being considered sexualisation of minors. A little-known fact about the R18+ rating for video games is that its introduction didn't come with a revamp of the actual classification guidelines, so everything is still weighted against guidelines that were codified with MA15+ in mind.

Edit: I think you'd come out with an R18+ rating on appeal due to just how low-level the references are (most recently, Disco Elysium's console release was later slapped with an R18+ rating after initially being refused classification due to "drug misuse"), but I completely understand not wanting to spend money on what is ultimately a 50/50 shot at best, especially considering the game's primary audience is on PC.

What country? The game is not available on consoles in Australia and New Zealand due to the previously mentioned classification issue with ACB.

Can't say that's come up even in QA. Sounds like an FMV bottleneck. What's your system specs, and what kind of hard-drive are you using?

The following excerpt of text is from a recent Freedom of Information Request sent to the Australian Review Board on the video Game "Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition".

"On 4 May 2022, the IARC Tool classified Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition RC based on the developer disclosing 'sexual situations involving those who appear to be under 18'.

As per the Guidelines, 'descriptions or depictions of child sexual abuse or any other exploitative or offensive descriptions or depictions involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years' result in an RC rating in Australia.

You can learn more about the IARC Tool and the Guidelines at classification.gov.au/about-us/legislation."

To make this clear this was not a decision by the Australian Classification Board, rather the International Age Rating Coalition made this decision, which is why the developer did not receive feedback or the reasoning for the Refused Classification rating.

The Australian Classification Board always recommends a direct application with them rather than the IARC Online Tool due to its many faults and issues, it is way too common for developers to add too much information to the IARC tool which leads to their game getting a higher rating than they should get or just getting outright banned depending on what they added, the Australian Review Board are currently upholding this Refused Classification decision, the developer has two options;

1.) Appeal the decision with the Australian Review Board.
2.) Censor the part of the video game that contains 'sexual situations involving those who appear to be under 18' and re-apply.

Developers are not trained classification staff, therefore they should not classify their own games. Do not use the IARC.

Classification Article Link: https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/blade-runner-enhanced-edition

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So they create an inherent limitation in the review process, blame us for being restricted by it, and then charge us for the solution for the problem they created.

I guess that's how they must force themselves to feel relevant? I'll forward that on to Larry but I don't like our chances, given it involves spending money on what is inherently a gamble.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah, our review process sucks. There was one moron in one state ruining a bunch of things for us and games ratings for ages. Not sure if that's still an issue as well.

Nodens

Jul 1, 2022
Not personally, I'm involved in a different project code-wise, MVG is doing patch 2 for Blade Runner. He's pushing changes and submitting builds to QA at a steady pace from what I can see.

Thanks. If ModernVintageGamer (MVG) is also watching this thread, we would love to hear some news from him!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Someone I'd completely missed that NightDive had added the original to the Steam release, I had only seen they had done it with GOG. Kudos for that, the original release was never available on Steam at all

Purchased immediately and gonna give it a go on Steam Deck.

Edward850 I'm going to give both versions a try, but is there any way to delete one version or the other in the installation folder? Space is precious on my microSD card 😬

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
@Edward850 I'm going to give both versions a try, but is there any way to delete one version or the other in the installation folder? Space is precious on my microSD card 😬
No. Steam doesn't offer an easy way for us to do this. It is possible but you have to make additional depots as DLC packages.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No. Steam doesn't offer an easy way for us to do this. It is possible but you have to make additional depots as DLC packages.
No problem. Super awesome you guys have done this, particularly the classic version with the cut content too. Gonna request a thread title update

The integration of the models in the enhanced edition seems much better now, is that my imagination?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
We pushed out a patch a week ago addressing more issues, which is what also introduced the option to swap graphics. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1678420/view/3633877993322351916?l=english

I know the launch was probably not what you were expecting but I really appreciate your updates and being open about things. This has been on my radar but it seems like things are in a good place now and I'm definitely going to buy it when I get paid this month

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Huge props to Edward850 for coming into the thread and actually communicating with us about the development of the game. That's super refreshing to see.

I need to pick this up soon. Blade Runner is one of my favorite games of all time and I still own the physical PC copy with no way to play it anymore due to the lack of a CDROM drive.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Did this enhanced edition's myriad issues ever get fixed?
As above, Edward from nightdive has been very open about things. It shipped with lighting issues where the models didn't blend at all with the backgrounds and it didn't look good. They eventually added the full classic version free (which had never been on steam), fixed the lighting in the remaster, and made an on the fly toggle between them.

Worth remembering this is all to bring a classic PC game back that had been (mostly) lost to time (it had been brought back to GOG a few years back). So if you have any interest in it, it's definitely in a place now where it's well worth diving into.

Awesome, I'm always a little hesitant with unverified stuff.
Protondb will give stuff a rating that's much more reflective. It has "platinum" for steam deck, the highest rating. The Steam rating can be hugely misleading.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, is there a way to control the seed RNG that determines who is a replicant in either version of the game?

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
Cool to see the continued support, not played the original in ages so i'll have to pick this up.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a current consensus on whether to play the original game or enhanced edition? I own it on pc and my limited run switch version just arrived. I've never played it and wondering what the best way is to do so.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Is there a current consensus on whether to play the original game or enhanced edition? I own it on pc and my limited run switch version just arrived. I've never played it and wondering what the best way is to do so.

I'm curious, too. Sounds like the last patches for EE helped quite a lot, but it's still not there all the way? It has some interesting upgrades, like the movies, but still some draw backs like the fog. But, I'm googling, and see a thread where the new version can show the old graphics if you "press q", so maybe that would address some differences even on the switch?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
It seems unbelievably difficult to actually find out what systems have been patched and what hasn't. All I see are Steam references after an early patch in 2022 for consoles.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is this now worth it on Switch? Already finished the game back in the day if it helps.

This release really tainted Nightdive's reputation and confidence I had in them, too bad. Hope they were able to turn it around, but I don't see their upcoming releases the same way I did before.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, too. Sounds like the last patches for EE helped quite a lot, but it's still not there all the way? It has some interesting upgrades, like the movies, but still some draw backs like the fog. But, I'm googling, and see a thread where the new version can show the old graphics if you "press q", so maybe that would address some differences even on the switch?
Yeah just fire it up and toggle back and forth. Although I like some of the changes with the enhanced, the upscaling has resulted in a loss of detail that I'm not a fan of so I play the original visuals. Having a broadly available version of an incredible is still worth it regardless, and the enhanced version may be more suited to others tastes.

Is this now worth it on Switch? Already finished the game back in the day if it helps.

This release really tainted Nightdive's reputation and confidence I had in them, too bad. Hope they were able to turn it around, but I don't see their upcoming releases the same way I did before.
They fumbled but they followed through and fixed things. I don't agree that it's done anything to their rep, still a great studio that just released system shock and rise of the triad, with quake 2 just around the corner. Give 'em a break.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally got round to playing this and was enjoying myself but when it came to examining the images it was extremely bugged/weird.

I literally spent about 10 minutes trying to get the cars license plate number image and the game hi refused to do it until for some reason it eventually did.

The only reason I knew the image was something I needed was because I got stuck and looked up a guide and was surprised because I had originally tried getting it and because it didn't do it I figured that was it.

The same thing happened with trying to get the image of the ankle bracelet, it just refused to do it and after another 10 minutes it suddenly worked.

Ended up putting me off the game sadly but maybe I will go back to it.

Zerozerozero

Oct 11, 2022
I finally got round to playing this and was enjoying myself but when it came to examining the images it was extremely bugged/weird.

I literally spent about 10 minutes trying to get the cars license plate number image and the game hi refused to do it until for some reason it eventually did.

The only reason I knew the image was something I needed was because I got stuck and looked up a guide and was surprised because I had originally tried getting it and because it didn't do it I figured that was it.

The same thing happened with trying to get the image of the ankle bracelet, it just refused to do it and after another 10 minutes it suddenly worked.

Ended up putting me off the game sadly but maybe I will go back to it.

The game was very ambitious for it's time and unfortunately this is the sort of stuff that doesn't really work well. I can be a matter of the search being too small or too big even when it's over the right area.