• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Was curious and started the game on Switch, it looks and runs better than I anticipated on the OLED Switch. I did not encounter any major problems yet and the game seems amazing. Did the balcony scene right now and sound did not cut out or anything. The character models could use some form of anti aliasing to better blend in with the backgrounds, though.

For 10 bucks it certainly is worth checking out on Switch!

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
So is this game just never coming out in Australia? I think Forsaken was the same.

Stupid country. I love these old games. Let me play them.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So is this game just never coming out in Australia? I think Forsaken was the same.
Check Forsaken again, a few months ago I fixed up our old store pages on Xbox and it should be available in Australia there.
As for this, sorry but it was refused classification. There's not much more we can do, but the PC version should be available to you on Steam/GOG.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Check Forsaken again, a few months ago I fixed up our old store pages on Xbox and it should be available in Australia there.
As for this, sorry but it was refused classification. There's not much more we can do, but the PC version should be available to you on Steam/GOG.

I can only imagine how big a hassle our classification system is for devs. I did find Forsaken on the store though. Thanks!

I'll just have to move my PS5 to America for a few hours to pick up Blade Runner.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on getting the LRG Switch copy, thankfully those preorders are open until August 7th and I can see how the patches improve this edition.

Last edited:

JMcAddledMind

Sep 22, 2021
I haven't owned a PC for 15 years or so. It is unbelievably wonderful to be able to play one of my all-time favourites again, and the price was a third of what I was expecting.

Also just lovely to see devs providing useful info here. Hope the patches can restore what's missed, but honestly I'm just overwhelmingly happy to have it again.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I just want to say thank you to whichever party was responsible for the 50% discount for owners of the original ScummVM releae on GOG. I had been planning to buy this on Steam but saw I had the discount for owning the previous release on GOG.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance the console versions get an option for the original backgrounds? Kinda like the Monkey Island Special Editions?
I am hoping for this. I've not asked for a refund from Microsoft and am holding out on what Nightdive decides to focus on next. The studio has been exceptional at listening to fans and providing support, so it's the very least I can do.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
Would you be able to give an example (i.e a screenshot or descriptive location, or both)?

• You are probably aware that the shooting range doesn't work very well. There are three major issues: a long wait before targets appear, finnicky hitboxes and extremely short time between when the target turns around and when they shoot. The latter should be longer, since the player is supposed to determine whether a target is armed which is impossible with how it works currently (you get shot before being able to make an informed call).
    • EDIT: The hitbox on
      Moraji's handcuffs
      is also wrong in comparison to the original game.
  • KIA used to show which tab the player is on. It doesn't in the new version, which is especially problematic when one plays on a controller, because there's no way to know at all.
  • In the original, the player is supposed to be able to change their disposition at any time. Since now it's only possible at the start of the game and can't be changed due to the redesigned menu, I'd suggest setting it to player choice as a default.
  • In the redesigned KIA, it is impossible to tag clues as private despite getting an upgrade from Bob.
  • If you use space to skip dialogue during a VK session, Ray automatically asks another question of the same emotional intensity as the previous one.
I'm currently only at act 2, so I might have more feedback later on. Also, I noticed that the achievements strongly favor a particular path through the game which seems to be against its spirit. All can be gained in a single playthrough, assuming the player chooses a particular allegiance. Meanwhile, the "Unicorn Sighting" achievement depends on RNG and might require several replays with no guarantee of being able to get it.

Thank you for all of your hard work :)

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah the shooting range is busted on Switch, you cannot even shoot at some targets.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the shooting range is busted on Switch, you cannot even shoot at some targets.

There was a couple I couldn't shoot on Xbox too.

Also, I've noticed an annoying glitch where the music keeps turning itself down to 12% volume in the audio options so you can't hear it. It's one of the best parts of the game!

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
Would you be able to give an example (i.e a screenshot or descriptive location, or both)?

A few more issues I noticed:
  • In the original, after the end of a VK session, either the human or the replicant icon would blink. Not so in EE.
  • The background under Crazy Legs' store is corrupted, it has a frame that breaks the loop. I think there's an issue with the loop in the store itself as well but it's not as prominent.
  • Ending cutscenes don't have subtitles.
  • Not really a bug, but it's frustrating that difficulty achievements don't stack.

LPC

Dec 2, 2017
Belgium
I've noticed too that opening cutscene doesn't have any (french) subtitles on Switch...

Will wait for a patch to play the better version, can't wait! Hopefully I'll be able to play this before XC3 on 29th July...

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
You are probably aware that the shooting range doesn't work very well. There are three major issues: a long wait before targets appear, finnicky hitboxes and extremely short time between when the target turns around and when they shoot. The latter should be longer, since the player is supposed to determine whether a target is armed which is impossible with how it works currently (you get shot before being able to make an informed call).
Annoyingly, this doesn't look like a new bug, but actually comes from the original game running on modern systems. There's going to be dragons fixing this one.

Because you folks have been great, I'll sneak a copy here of the current changelog we have for the upcoming first patch:
  • Added missing audio and text localization (video localization to come in a later patch)
  • Added missing subtitle credits
  • Added GOG achievements
  • Fixed possible deadlocks and memory leaks
  • Fixed various menus not responding to resolution changes
  • Fixed menu sliders sound loop when dragged with the mouse
  • Fixed Borderless Window setting on PC not sticking
  • Added setting to disable widescreen borders
  • Added setting to change ingame brightness
  • Fixed McCoy not being able to walk freely in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
  • Fixed subtitles not displaying during outtakes
  • Fixed outtakes not playing at 60fps
  • Fixed fog not rendering correctly in certain rooms (eg. Chinatown)
  • Fixed McCoy clipping into vehicles in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
  • Fixed green flicker during transitions
  • Fixed items not displaying after loading a savegame

Last edited:

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Annoyingly, this doesn't look like a new bug, but actually comes from the original game running on modern systems. There's going to be dragons fixing this one.

Because you folks have been great, I'll sneak a copy here of the current changelog we have for the upcoming first patch:
Looking really good. Thanks Edward, looking forward to the first patch :)

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018

thank you for your feedback here. looking forward to this patch :)

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017

Sweet. Can't wait

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017

Nice, thanks a lot! Seems like a good first patch, will jump back in after it is released.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Also, I've noticed an annoying glitch where the music keeps turning itself down to 12% volume in the audio options so you can't hear it. It's one of the best parts of the game!
Do you mean the menu option seems to be getting overridden when you get back to the game, or do you mean the the slider seems to be stuck when you try to change it? I haven't been able to reproduce the latter, but looking at the code I think I just found the former (there seem to be ingame scripts that change the music, and for some reason they are changing the stored config value) and just want to be sure I'm addressing the right issue.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Do you mean the menu option seems to be getting overridden when you get back to the game, or do you mean the the slider seems to be stuck when you try to change it? I haven't been able to reproduce the latter, but looking at the code I think I just found the former (there seem to be ingame scripts that change the music, and for some reason they are changing the stored config value) and just want to be sure I'm addressing the right issue.

Hi, sorry, Yes the menu choice seems to get overridden. I noticed there was no music playing and in the options, it had been changed to 12%. I thought I might have done it by accident so changed it back to 100% (it worked), but then later it went back down to 12%. It hasn't happened again since I first mentioned it though.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hi, sorry, Yes the menu choice seems to get overridden. I noticed there was no music playing and in the options, it had been changed to 12%. I thought I might have done it by accident so changed it back to 100% (it worked), but then later it went back down to 12%. It hasn't happened again since I first mentioned it though.
Perfect, as I suspected. Thank you.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Edward850 is there any chance that some kind of filter could be applied to the characters to make them stand out less from the backgrounds? Even some kind of blur would be fine I think. If the backgrounds are blurry, the characters need to be blurry as well to get some kind of coherent look.

The best option could be restoring the original videos and applying some kind of CRT/scanline filter to the whole image, I think.

Of course these suggestions are low-priority right now… thanks again for the hard work and keeping us posted! 😸

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
I played through the Enhanced Edition and it was ~playable, the blurry backgrounds some times make it super hard to see what's going on and there seems to be quite a lot of timing bugs that might be similar to the firing range things mentioned above (that might or might not exist in the original). Also the KIA controls are really a pain in the ass with a controller (or Steam Deck). That said, it was totally playable end-to-end so that's great.

More minor thing that hasn't been mentioned yet that when you find the Runciters letter at the Twins the picture of the opened head of the statue is not "enhanced", so it's very blocky and misaligned to the overall scene. Also did the collected items only show up in the game for like less than half a second when picked up in the original?

For the game itself, holy crap it was great and I am glad I finally got to play through it! I think I owned it on GOG already, but having it on Steam + Steam Deck was the perfect timing for me. The super open endedness, GREAT voice acting and music, awesome locales (when you can see what's going on...), memorable characters and places and true sense of mystery was exactly the kind of game I've been missing recently.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
There was a patch for the EE today, no patch notes though.

I'm trying to go for the Moonbus ending but I cannot proceed to the end of the tunnel, is that another bug? I have done the Lucy ending, I restarted from the spot where I instead killed Guzza but still couldn't go to Moonbus Fields Access Tunnel

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
There was a patch for the EE today, no patch notes though.
There was not a patch for EE today.
I'm trying to go for the Moonbus ending but I cannot proceed to the end of the tunnel, is that another bug? I have done the Lucy ending, I restarted from the spot where I instead killed Guzza but still couldn't go to Moonbus Fields Access Tunnel
Would you be able to get us a save game for this? You'll find the files in C:\Users\xxUSERNAMExx\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Blade Runner EX\save

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017

Would you be able to get us a save game for this? You'll find the files in C:\Users\xxUSERNAMExx\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Blade Runner EX\save
Actually I was wrong on both accounts: the patch was just Steam Deck being weird and downloading... something for 700 megs.

For the ending I was looking at the wrong place, the end of the tunnel with exit to Crazy Legs showed a blue arrow upwards and I thought that was where I was supposed to be to end up to the Kibble but it was in one of the sewer rooms instead :)

Thanks for the help!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
A CRT filter would be great.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more a nice CRT filter would make sense. Apart from making the game look a lot nicer/cleaner, it would also be cool on a meta-level:

Playing a retro-future game in the future (2022) on a retro-future screen like those found in the Blade Runner universe. 😸

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Without wanting to mount further pressure on you and the team, do you have an estimate as to when the first patch will drop across systems? I'm okay with waiting for the game to be in an improved state before playing it, but a time window would be nice to know. Thanks in advance.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Without wanting to mount further pressure on you and the team, do you have an estimate as to when the first patch will drop across systems? I'm okay with waiting for the game to be in an improved state before playing it, but a time window would be nice to know. Thanks in advance.
Internally we are discussing that but we aren't too sure yet what to call the cutoff point for the first patch, but you are unlikely to be waiting long.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Is it known how long Nintendo takes to release a patch after it has been submitted?

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i have been meaning to play this game for years, and was planning to finally play this edition, but the user reviews on steam are mostly quite poor. seems like people in this thread are mostly enjoying it though. can anyone who is playing add context? is this the best way to play, or should i just play the gog version i already have (i would much prefer to play on switch)? since it seems like it has been patched and is getting patched again maybe play this version just wait a bit (im probably going to cave and get the limited run)?

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Just wanted to add that, despite the disappointing lead-up and outcome for launch: I have just purchased the product, mainly because of Edward850's commitment to keep us informed and transparency regarding patches/further development goes a long way > ambiguity/the silent treatment given for some ports from much bigger publishers that remain in a poor state.

I've not actually played the original (despite being a fan of adventure/point n click games) but I hope it'll eventually get in better shape.

Visually the game reminds me of The Longest Journey and Syberia. The former received an ML upscale fan mod a couple of years ago that was extremely impressive as far as retaining the look of the original whilst sprucing what it can (but I also understand BR:EE isn't facing the same challenges)

If all goes well in the end I will happily gift the game to a sibling/friend.

Last edited:

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted to buy this on PlayStation but can't because of the stupid refused classification status for Australia.

I played the original on PC way back but never finished it. Great work from Edward850 though and I appreciate the effort you and you're team are going to and you're honest transparency here with us.

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to add that, despite the disappointing lead-up and outcome for launch: I have just purchased the product, mainly because of Edward850's commitment to keep us informed and transparency regarding patches/further development goes a long way > ambiguity/the silent treatment given for some ports from much bigger publishers that remain in a poor state. I've not actually played the original (despite being a fan of adventure/point n click games) but I hope it'll eventually get in better shape.

Visually the game reminds me of The Longest Journey and Syberia. The former received an ML upscale fan mod a couple of years ago that was extremely impressive as far as retaining the look of the original whilst sprucing what it can (but I also understand BR:EE isn't facing the same challenges)

If all goes well in the end I will happily gift the game to a sibling/friend.

Thanks for the heads up on The Longest Journey mod, had no clue about that.

Completing an old playthrough was on my to do list for this year, but now will likely start a new playthrough instead.

Also echoing your comments about the active participation of Edward850 here in this thread, much appreciated.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Change log for the Steam update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news...=103582791472075890&emgid=3360263388012427086

Hello everyone,

We have our first patch ready, and available to download now for Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition. The patch contains the following fixes and improvements:

• Added missing audio and text localization (video localization to come in a later patch). Set your language in the Game Options
  • Added missing subtitle credits
  • Fixed possible deadlocks and memory leaks
  • Fixed various menus not responding to resolution changes
  • Fixed menu sliders sound loop when dragged with the mouse
  • Fixed Borderless Window setting on PC not sticking
  • Added Game Option to disable widescreen borders
  • Added Game Option to change in-game brightness
  • Fixed McCoy not being able to walk freely in certain rooms (eg. Outside Runciter's)
  • Fixed subtitles not displaying during outtakes
  • Fixed outtakes not playing at 60fps
  • Fixed fog not rendering correctly in certain rooms (eg. Chinatown)
  • Fixed McCoy clipping into vehicles in RC03
  • Fixed green flicker during transitions
  • Fixed items not displaying after loading a savegame
  • Fixed Esper crash when zooming out via the preview thumbnail
  • Fixed various KIA issues
  • It used to be difficult to tell which page you were on in the kia, now the currently selected kia page should be called out in the top row of buttons.
  • The kia "cursor hover" state was not different enough for you to tell where your cursor was, now there's been an additional pass on it to make it much more obvious.
  • Individual clue privacy when using the kia privacy addon was not obvious, now every private clue has a unique icon next to it, along with a background highlight.
  • Enhanced graphics for KIA upgrade and suspect silhouettes
  • Keyboard shortcuts can no longer open the KIA during cutscenes
  • Fixed incorrect colors in localized subtitles
  • Fixed subtitles changing interface language
  • Fixed audio volume changing during scene transitions
  • Player personality (conversation choices) can be changed ingame
  • Difficulty achievements are retroactive.

Thanks for being patient with us while we deal with these issues. We'd also like to share what we have planned for the next patch:

• A toggle between the original and our Enhanced Edition videos,
  • Video localization for the intro, and outtakes,
  • Improvements to the User Interface and Menus,
  • Improvements to make longer KIA clues legible
  • Improvements to the controls, making them more obvious and consistent across the game
  • Improvements to pathfinding
  • Improvements to the Police Maze

We hope you enjoy the update, and our sneak peak into what's to come. Thank you.

Daniel G.
Nightdive Studios.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
What worries me now is that my second playthrough had all of the random factors the same as my first one. Can someone who completed the game comment on whether you got the same setup?

Dektora - Replicant
Izo - Human
Lucy - Replicant
Sadik - Human
Gordo - Human
Luther & Lance - Replicant

Thanks!

Last edited:

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
What worries me now is that my second playthrough had all of the random factors the same as my first one. Can someone who completed the game comment on whether you got the same setup?

Dektora - Replicant
Lucy - Replicant
Sadik - Human
Gordo - Human
Luther & Lance - Replicant

Thanks!
QA says they haven't seen anything like that happen but they'll double check. What platform, by the way?

Oh and Sadik is always human, Dektora and Twins are always reps, the two that vary are Gordo and Lucy. Given that, it's entirely possible you just rolled the same values again.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
QA says they haven't seen anything like that happen but they'll double check. What platform, by the way?

Oh and Sadik is always human, Dektora and Twins are always reps, the two that vary are Gordo and Lucy. Given that, it's entirely possible you just rolled the same values again.

PC.

Regarding the spoilered part, that's not my experience :O

I'm not sure for certain if I ever rolled human Twins but I am 99.99% sure that I got "expert demolitionist" Sadik in the past. It doesn't change anything other than the clues and, I think, a bit of dialogue at the end, but I would be willing to sacrifice a finger that I experienced it in-game and not just by going through the files.

You made me doubt it though, so I guess I'll just poke around the Scumm VM version to see if my memories have been implanted.

EDIT: I lucked out and got expert Sadik on first try, according to the clue at Tyrell. Unfortunately, I killed Zuben, so I might not be able to ally myself with the reps to hear the changes in dialogue at the end but we'll see. Also, I in my last post I forgot to list Izo, who also had the same allegiance in both playthroughs back to back.

EDIT 2: Okay, I see now, there's no difference in dialogue with Sadik at the end, I imagined that bit. He can be an amateur bomber or an expert one, but there's no explicit information whether he's a rep or just a rep-sympathizer. I think it's a similar situation with the twins - they always believe themselves to be replicants, but it's randomized whether Clovis provides them with an incept photo in their debut cutscene.

Last edited:

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Do you have an estimate when it will be available? Really want to play it, wondering if I should wait for the Switch version…
Given the nature of console certification, I cannot give a timeline to that, sorry. We did have to spend a little extra time fixing console specific issues, but that's just waiting on QA now to give a final pass and all clear. So you shouldn't be waiting too long.