• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's apparently not great, which is a shame. The remaster just blurs all the backgrounds and audio cuts in and out all the time. Good for consoles, not for PC players.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

ScummVM vs Remaster shots from the above article:

jQoOTxG.png

O0wxQAu.png

PlP6mjk.png

lsfQFl4.png

Why didn't they run the pre-rendered backdrops through an AI upscaler like they did the cutscenes? I feel like it would have given much better results than sticking a 5% blur on them in Photoshop. Characters stand out way too much now.

It also looks like the characters in that noodle bar scene are sat ABOVE the smoke effect in the new version 🤦

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Sooo… wait for some patches? was gonna buy it on Switch, but those screens look bad, especially the bar scene where the characters are in front of the smoke effect and look totally out of place.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Just noticed the original release is no longer available on GOG now that the EE is out. Bah. I hope Night Dive adds an option to the Steam version to run the original game through ScummVM or some such.

Edit: Clarity.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The AI upscale seems to work fine for cutscenes - although I'd argue it also ends up making it more obvious that the animation is not all that vs. having them at low framerate. This is often a problem with 60FPS cutscenes in even much never games, although not to such a big degree.
Ingame though, it seems like there's now a clash between the smooth looking AI upscaled backgrounds, and chunky realtime characters. Before it was all equally chunky, so you couldn't so easily tell what's what. This is extremely noticeable on the first set of comparison screens higher up on this page. I'd argue the old version looks better due to being so much more cohesive.
Can't complain for $10 though. It's nice to have, and I already have the original on ScummVM, so this is at least something a bit new.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Why didn't they run the pre-rendered backdrops through an AI upscaler like they did the cutscenes? I feel like it would have given much better results than sticking a 5% blur on them in Photoshop. Characters stand out way too much now.

It also looks like the characters in that noodle bar scene are sat ABOVE the smoke effect in the new version 🤦

That's… unfortunate. Hopefully some of it can be fixed with patches, like this part:

It even ruins one of the game's best moments: vibing on Ray's balcony listening to nine minutes of the Blade Runner Blues. The song will randomly cut off after sound effects like the thunder or siren, and the scene is missing the blaring adverts for a new life on the off-world colonies (it's the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure, don't you know?). I've tried several times and it always gets cut off at some point.

And some of the layers of smoke and such appearing behind the characters as well. As far as the overall image, it sounds similar to a smoothing shader that overly blurs pixel graphics in some emulators to where there's a loss in detail.

I remember playing it a couple years ago through ScummVM on a 1440p monitor and thought it just looked wonderful.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This is a really good game. I haven't played it since it released but bear in mind it will have a lot of the issues older Lucas Arts point and click adventures have which is obtuse puzzles and pixel hunting.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame to hear about the issues compared to the original release. Guess I'm lucky that I've never played it before.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh weird, original owners on GOG get 50% of the EE... might just pick it up for the sake of it I guess, or maybe wait for an inevitable Steam sale.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I was a bit worried about how this would look as judging from the clips I'd seen posted the video sequences have lost detail too.

Are we sure they didn't already but didn't do a great job?

The problem with AI upscalers, especially with images/video containing pixelation/dithering that isn't simply caused by the original resolution, is that it can be hard to strike the right balance between preserving detail, avoiding introducing weird artefacts, and producing something that actually looks higher res. Trying to preserve detail can end up with nasty artefacts where the upscaler interprets pixelation as actual scene detail and enhances it. Alternatives are to either do a preprocessing pass to smooth things, use a model that performs noise reduction before upscaling, or use a model that's more subtle and less sensitive to false positives from the pixelation/dithering. Of course, depending on the AI model that tends ends up with detail being erased, or an upscale that looks almost identical to the original input.

With enough time and working frame by frame I'm sure good results are possible but I guess it would depend on the time that would take and the cost of it.

It's a problem I've had trying to upscale animated DVDs with crappy transfers. I want to remove some of the noise and sharpen everything up, but rain scenes especially become tricky as AI models with more denoising tend to confuse the rain effect with noise. Retain the rain and other scenes end up looking strange or plain nasty. Also, in old NTSC to PAL transfers the upscaler seems to be able to detect and enhance pixelation caused by that slight upscale even though it's almost invisible to the naked eye.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Guess I'll wait to see if there are any patches coming.

Nightdive has been great with post-launch updates on stuff like Quake, so I'm hoping there's stuff planned here too.

The fact it costs so little and is now available on modern consoles with controller support is definitely cool, but there's some stuff that can hopefully be fixed.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm hopng they can use some of the budget from the sales to support it. Those screenshots above are a bit :/

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I still have the original 4 cds. Do they run on Win10 or do I need some unofficial patch?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
jQoOTxG.png

O0wxQAu.png

Oh my

Well I think I'll refund until this is addressed. All about supporting this game and nightdive in general but I can't get on board with the characters popping out of the backgrounds like that. I'll stick with my GOG edition for now - wondering if I can run it on Deck 🤔

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
What's the deal with the personality type you choose before starting? I chose user defined so do I switch between attitudes with a button or is it based on dialogue choices?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, I guess I'm gonna hold off and see if there are any patches to address the technical issues.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with the personality type you choose before starting? I chose user defined so do I switch between attitudes with a button or is it based on dialogue choices?

I could be wrong since it's been quite a while the last time I have played it and messed with that stuff but I think the personality types determines how you talk to NPCs, but I'm pretty sure the user defined type setting gives you a dialogue tree.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Remember to stand on your apartment's balcony and listen to the music.
easily on the most atmospheric scenes in all of gaming. I can honestly let the game run in the background while on the balcony forever

"A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, a chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure."

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's apparently not great, which is a shame. The remaster just blurs all the backgrounds and audio cuts in and out all the time. Good for consoles, not for PC players.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

ScummVM vs Remaster shots from the above article:

jQoOTxG.png

O0wxQAu.png

PlP6mjk.png

lsfQFl4.png
Oof, that's rough... I understand they have only so many resources available to them considering the source code is nowhere to be found. But all environmental detail is gone. Walls are flat, the rain is gone and the characters stick out like a sore thumb. Happy that I hadn't the chance to get this before work, going to wait and see how they'll go about it moving forward.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Available on steam woohoo. Still can't find it on the AU PSN store though

Edit - What's with the mostly negative reviews on steam? People saying this versions is not good. What's the go?

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
shame about the poor remastering choices, blur filters on vintage video games has turned into a bad cliché at this point. hopefully developers will learn one day, and maybe a patch will come. in the mean time thanks for saving me money resetera.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
shame about the poor remastering choices, blur filters on pre-rendered static backgrounds of vintage video games has turned into a bad cliché at this point. hopefully developers will learn one day, and maybe a patch will come. in the mean time thanks for saving me money resetera.

The backgrounds aren't actually static, they're fully animated, which makes this result all the more disappointing.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can't get used to the cutscenes looking like this. Feels like someone's popped my TV on TrueMotion compared to the rest of the game itself.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Have heard about this game for a while, but never was able to give it a try before. Happy to spend $10 to snag a Nightdive remaster for the Switch.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The game definitely needs a fix for atmospheric effects appearing behind characters in some of the scenes. That really messes up the visuals quite a bit. On top of that, I really hope it would be possible to have the option to use original non-upscaled background videos during gameplay portions of the game.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Yikes, I'm all for a remaster of this game, but they somehow removed some of the great atmosphere - the fog and lighting in the original helped to place characters within their scenes and it just looks like it's missing here.