• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It'll be interesting to see how it turned out - the game was/is incredibly ambitious with the randomised elements of the investigation, but technically it was very of its time with the controls and pre-rendered backgrounds.

It's fantastic to see it both get a re-release and now a remaster after years of being stuck in limbo due to rights issues.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Nice, I've been playing a lot of classic adventure games recently so will definitely check it out.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
People comparing this to classic point-and-click adventures are a little off the mark, I feel. Sure, it has an interface that might draw such comparisons, but the gameplay is very different. I consider this game to be somewhat of a precursor to the style of game popularized by Quantic Dream and Telltale Games.

It's a brilliant game, too. I think it's the one I have completed the most times out of anything in my collection. Every time I play it, I discover something new. Heck, the final time I played it was so different from the times before that I was utterly blown away. I've seen events happen in this game that are so rare that I can't even find anyone talking about them online.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Will pick up for my Deck.

My Dad used to have this game on his old old Dell when I was a kid. Good times.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really surprised at how low key the release was. From the lack of updates leading up to it, the very short announcement window of release and the very low price.

Maybe Shadowman didn't sell as well as they hoped and so they lowered the price.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
People comparing this to classic point-and-click adventures are a little off the mark, I feel. Sure, it has an interface that might draw such comparisons, but the gameplay is very different. I consider this game to be somewhat of a precursor to the style of game popularized by Quantic Dream and Telltale Games.

It's a brilliant game, too. I think it's the one I have completed the most times out of anything in my collection. Every time I play it, I discover something new. Heck, the final time I played it was so different from the times before that I was utterly blown away. I've seen events happen in this game that are so rare that I can't even find anyone talking about them online.

Interesting, I didn't realize it had so much replayability and alternate paths. Definitely more interested now!

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up on Xbox, to review for XboxEra... Man, this is one of my favourite games of all time. Looking forward to playing it again!

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Ha! Great news. I just watched Blade Runner again a few days ago and was itching for a game in that vein. Then this pops up :)

Dev magic

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Really surprised at how low key the release was. From the lack of updates leading up to it, the very short announcement window of release and the very low price.

Maybe Shadowman didn't sell as well as they hoped and so they lowered the price.
Uhhh... No. Pricing for various games is on a per publisher/contract basis. Blade Runner and Shadowman are of course not Nightdive IPs.

Oh and incase this thread is wondering, MVG was the main man for this project. He's done some frankly heroic work getting this game running in Kex4, it may not look complicated at first but this was both a full reverse engineering job & a huge technical complication in on the fly streaming of FMV assets, which this game has a lot of, some even running in unison from my understanding. It's a lot of data streaming which we've never had to do before, so he's done wonderous work.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Uhhh... No. Pricing for various games is on a per publisher/contract basis. Blade Runner and Shadowman are of course not Nightdive IPs.
Uhhhh....ok!

I was merely surprised that this is nearly half the price of what Shadowman was which was the last release, especially because I know you did a lot of work getting this port done and it's a much bigger IP than Shadowman is.

I am still surprised at the almost shadow drop of the game though, I have been very much looking forward to it.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Ruh roh, just had a crash back to the Xbox dashboard. The surly cop in the ground floor police station said something, disappeared, and then the game hard crashed. Hopefully just an isolated incident.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hey Edward850 congrats on the release!

Just a quick question: is it possible to run off the border art in this?
Not currently. My understanding is it has a mix of widescreen and non-widescreen scenes, so the game always had to be drawing something to make sure nothing would stick on the sides. I'll make sure the team is aware of this suggestion though.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that hard crash... No save. Lost all progress, nothing to load.

Do we have to save manually like the old days?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'll support anything Nightdive does. Great release at an even better price. Edward850 tell the team thanks for me! ;)

Now I just have to wait for Steam to push Add to Cart...

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I didn't 'expect' anything, but if the game hard crashes a lot, that could get frustrating. Thankfully, just a one-off thus far.
I think they mean the saving, yes it's one of those games where manual saving is expected. Crashing is of course undesirable, the game has a lot of random events and conditions that make each playthrough quite unique, so it seems we've missed a couple of things in that soup unfortunately that we'll need to iron out. Sorry about that.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean the saving, yes it's one of those games where manual saving is expected. Crashing is of course undesirable, the game has a lot of random events and conditions that make each playthrough quite unique, so it seems we've missed a couple of things in that soup unfortunately that we'll need to iron out. Sorry about that.
Certainly wasn't expecting a full on auto save system, my apologies, should have worded it better than that. 👍 And hey, it's a miracle this works considering what you had to try and rebuild. Love having it back!

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
No Mac version sucks. Bought it on PSN though and was surprised at the price, I was expecting it to be around £15.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Bought. I found the original on disc at a Goodwill almost 10 years ago and only played a few minutes. Loved what I played, not sure why I didn't finish.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to play this. I was never able to get more then a couple of endings as a kid. It was a great game back then and I say that as someone who hates the original Bladerunner movie.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I still have a *borrowed* boxed copy of the game; one of the few physical games I've kept around. Funny story - borrowed it from my friend some time after they'd finished with it, back in the day. I play the game, get super-duper into it. Get far enough into it that it asks for Disc 4... and only then do I find out that Disc 4 is missing.

My friend had no idea where it might be (a mystery never solved). Never got to finish the game. Still have aformentioned physical version. Minus Disc 4.

In other words... Immediate purchase!

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017

Oh and incase this thread is wondering, MVG was the main man for this project. He's done some frankly heroic work getting this game running in Kex4, it may not look complicated at first but this was both a full reverse engineering job & a huge technical complication in on the fly streaming of FMV assets, which this game has a lot of, some even running in unison from my understanding. It's a lot of data streaming which we've never had to do before, so he's done wonderous work.

Great work on the FMV's, truly, and I'm a big fan of your team's output overall, but I was wondering if there was some limitation that kept you all from doing the same work with the in-game visuals/models? They kinda stick out in comparison.

Also, pie in the sky I'm sure, but any progress on NOLF?