• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good time if you like anime. I hope this apparent boom period for the industry is also a boom for the wages and work conditions of animators in Japan.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just want to echo the comments about what a great time it is for anime. To follow up on the idea that there will be a cyberpunk resurgence, I'd say now is the time for that live action Akira film to finally be made.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Animation studio Sola Digital Arts will produce the series, with Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama (the upcoming Ghost in the Shell reboot) directing all episodes. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) is a creative producer.

That's a hell of a pedigree. I'm so in.

Also, wait... there's more GitS coming?!

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Was new FLCL any good? From what I remember they also mentioned how they had everyone on board and it was going to be awesome but I didn't see much buzz after the initial announcement.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So hyped for this! I was scared we weren't going to get any more BR stuff after the box office failure.

Oct 27, 2017
Was new FLCL any good? From what I remember they also mentioned how they had everyone on board and it was going to be awesome but I didn't see much buzz after the initial announcement.
Progressive was ATROCIOUS. As a sequel it was garbage and as a standalone anime it was completely nonsensical. Alternative, while not matching the original, was still pretty good in its own way

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
What a coincidence!
It's like Adult Swim completely firing back at Netflix's Cowboy Bebop announcement.

Also, DYK? Blade Runner has influenced anime!
b81a93c1ae6447983f90179360554a5d.jpg

09a.gif

Mods, please inform me if the top picture violates anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's pretty established that the movie bombed, or at least failed to meet expectations. I do believe it recouped its budget though.
It didn't make its budget back, it was a flop through and through. The first one was too though, and the proposition of a $180m Blade Runner sequel was always (financially speaking) dumb as fuck, but *thank god* everyone was stupid enough to sign off, lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely did not make its budget back. It was a definite flop. The first one was too - a $180m Blade Runner sequel was, financially speaking, dumb as fuck, but thank god everyone was dumb enough to sign off, lol.
It was a tough sell. Assuring even the existing fan base of the original movie that a sequel could be done in a manner that respects and enriches the original movie in this day and age might as well have been impossible. I was one of those fans. lol

It wasn't until the movie actually came out that anybody started hyping it, but the grimm reality was also that casual viewers would be bored and the film would still be guaranteed to do badly no matter how good it was.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well that sounds interesting...

Animation studio Sola Digital Arts will produce the series
Oh, then again, probably not if it's going to end up looking like those Starship Troopers movies they put out. Once they've come far enough along in production to put out a trailer it'll be easier to judge, I suppose.
Make that definitely not.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

If FLCL "Classic" was a 10/10 (not everyone thinks so of course but I'm just using relative measures) then:

FLCL Progressive
was a 5/10

FLCL Alternative
was a 9/10

I would still watch both if you're an FLCL fan though

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Combined with Cyberpunk 2077, I think pretty much all media's going to be filled with a new flood of cyberpunk over the next several years.
I'm concerned we'll just end up with soulless cash-ins now that BR2049 made an example of how an actually interesting - on some level even clever - sequel completely bombed at the box office. I can't see movie studio execs approving anything even resembling actual cyberpunk. More likely at least some of what's coming up will just end up being mediocre, cynical cash-ins with little to say and no substance. Basically taking cyberpunk to mean "neon" and "Blade Runner was so cool" instead of an actual critique of, well, anything. Flashy visuals and pseudophilosophical nonsense, at best.

Here's hoping I'm wrong. Either way I think audiences are going to burn out on cyberpunk really fast at this rate, which is just lovely too.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned we'll just end up with soulless cash-ins now that BR2049 made an example of how an actually interesting - on some level even clever - sequel completely bombed at the box office. I can't see movie studio execs approving anything even resembling actual cyberpunk. More likely at least some of what's coming up will just end up being mediocre, cynical cash-ins with little to say and no substance. Basically taking cyberpunk to mean "neon" and "Blade Runner was so cool" instead of an actual critique of, well, anything. Flashy visuals and pseudophilosophical nonsense, at best.

Here's hoping I'm wrong. Either way I think audiences are going to burn out on cyberpunk really fast at this rate, which is just lovely too.
All the style and not also the substance.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Well that sounds interesting...

Oh, then again, probably not if it's going to end up looking like those Starship Troopers movies they put out. Once they've come far enough along in production to put out a trailer it'll be easier to judge, I suppose.

Make that definitely not.
Most likely will resemble this

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Been watching the original Blade Runner and 2049 in preparation for me jumping into the comics (I've got all the issues to date to read).

And it got me thinking about this. Seems there has been little to no news since the announcement getting on 2 years ago.

No development updates or cancellation news that I can find.

Anyone seen or heard anything?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching the original Blade Runner and 2049 in preparation for me jumping into the comics (I've got all the issues to date to read).

And it got me thinking about this. Seems there has been little to no news since the announcement getting on 2 years ago.

No but I wouldn't take that as any sort of sign. Animation takes a very long time to procedure and things are slower than ever now.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

I think as always with BR, it depends on Ridley. If he is still pushing for it then it will happen. It took him 30 years to get that BR sequel made but he got it done eventually.

Personally my feeling is that BR2049 bombing will make it very difficult for any future projects, there has been talk of an anime, a live action series and a 3rd film in the last few years but right now they sound like 2049 did in the years before it happened. A nice dream but maybe not something real.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Netflix picking up the Ghost in the Shell series indefinitely delayed this. It's best to assume it's dead since the studio is primarily focused on making CG series on Netflix (GitS currently). Plus, there was no planning or work done beforehand so it's not like they lost anything. Even if they started today (which they aren't), it would still be years away.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
An anime based on Black Out? That's pretty good!

That's at least better than having nothing Blade Runner related after the masterpiece that was BR2049.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
they just released an interview with the director and two screenshots of the anime

4ddu8edjbqd51.jpg

yhnggeejbqd51.jpg

what do you guys think? hope this won't turn out like the netflix GITS show

Oct 26, 2017
Well that's disappointing, hope the story is at least good and faithful to the films

Was expecting it to look like Bebop or something

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
also this

Well that's disappointing, hope the story is at least good and faithful to the films

Was expecting it to look like Bebop or something

yeah or at least like the BR: Blackout 2022 short which looked great. i wonder how japanese anime fans feel about all this CG.
oh well story could still be interesting, the show is going to have a female replicant protagonist which sounds cool and something new for BR.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Netflix an animation have been some of my favorite and absolutely least favorite trends of recent years. EVERYTHING is CG. I don't know what Devilman Crybaby and Castlevania did to be the exceptions, but I just can't

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for being pretty out of touch with the modern Anime scene, but what's the deal w/ CG, is it significantly cheaper than more traditional animation? I have yet to see an application of it that doesn't just look plain worse than normal animation techniques, I can only imagine it's a cost savings thing

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Not an anime fan but I love BR 2049 so I'm interested in this. Still need to watch the short on the Blu Ray.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
I apologize for being pretty out of touch with the modern Anime scene, but what's the deal w/ CG, is it significantly cheaper than more traditional animation? I have yet to see an application of it that doesn't just look plain worse than normal animation techniques, I can only imagine it's a cost savings thing

i think it has to be massively cheaper, there is really no other explanation. i mean people will watch bebop or gits 95 in 50 years and it will still look fantastic while GITS 2045 already looks terrible now, how is it going to look in 20 years or so lol? i won't give up hope though, music and story might still be great. it really can't be worse than what they've done to GITS.

also it makes me wonder if the Cyberpunk 2077 anime is also going to be CG, it's being made for netflix after all