• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to understand what option they should go with. I'm asking honestly.

"Blacks at Xbox" not great
"Black at Xbox" not great?
"African American at Xbox" sounds dumb and excludes black people not from the US
"Coloured people at Xbox" Christ no
"Diversity at Xbox" we'll that covers people that aren't part of the group
"Non-whites at Xbox" lol
"Blacks" as a term for black people is a term often used by white people who don't care for black people and would rather use their skin color as a noun rather than an adjective to describe a human being. This goes back a long time in American history.

The Xbox tweeter made a (imo) forgivable mistake by being white and not knowing that "Our Blacks at Xbox" reads very differently than "Our 'Blacks at Xbox.'

Part of the misstep is that the lack of quotations that would have otherwise denoted referencing an already-established thing (made by black folks) turned into a big mean company implying that it owned black people.

As a more direct response, in common parlance, "black people" is the preferred term, as it does not define the subjects by their skin color, but instead just describes it.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
They have every right to use whatever term they want for themselves. I don't understand the uproar.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
BlacksRule.jpg

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing users over a series of posts + Ignoring admin instructions. History of infractions.
I am Jamaican not African

O_o wut

Your nationality is Jamaican yes but you are of African decent. I can't believe i have to explain this.

My genes also include blackfoot Native on my mom's side and- considering my racial features- probably some white in there too.

I was also born in Texas. I'm an American.

EDIT: Like... do you literally think black people can ONLY be from Africa? At this point I'm less angry and more fascinated.

I look just like every other black guy but because of my ancestry/history, my DNA says I am 25% African Decent, 40% northern European and about 35% Native American. To be black is not to just to be from Africa because through all of the years of oppression and rape many people who consider themselves black are less African than some people who consider themselves white.

I get if your're mixed with not a whole lot of African DNA. That's a whole nother story. Regardless, i'm talking about the history of where "black people" come from. It doesn't matter where you were born. Your DNA ties back to Africa. Call yourself whatever you want. "black Americans" Afro latino's, the whole Caribbean and African diaspora are all of African decent.
Look I think you mean well, but you can't speak for all of us. I feel nothing but a surface level (if even that) connection to Africa. I've never been there, I don't know any potential family members there, I don't know the customs and I'm not a part of the culture. Even learning the customs doesn't make them mine.

I am American. I am black. That's it. If you asked me where I came from I'm gonna say North Carolina. If I'm abroad and someone asks me what I am, I'm gonna say American. I'm not ever gonna call myself African, I'm not from there. I'm not an immigrant, or anything like that. African American to me implies a separation that for most black people doesn't exist.
Again, you can call yourself whatever you want and feel a certain way about Africa if you want. The historical DNA of where you come from doesn't lie.

I'd drop it and accept that others have different views.

That's fine by me. I'm not even really bothered. It's just a little frustrating to see people still wanting to separate themselves from that continent. A very rich continent with history and many other things at that.

Eh.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
I get if your're mixed with not a whole lot of African DNA. That's a whole nother story. Regardless, i'm talking about the history of where "black people" come from. It doesn't matter where you were born. Your DNA ties back to Africa. Call yourself whatever you want. "black Americans" Afro latino's, the whole Caribbean and African diaspora are all of African decent.

Again, you can call yourself whatever you want and feel a certain way about Africa if you want. The historical DNA of where you come from doesn't lie.
Most black people who's family roots go back 100's of years in America are not 100% African...slavery will do that. It's not a whole "nother" story...

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Lol tell that to the cops then your I'm just American statement will have weight when the powers that be ascribe to that thinking then and only then will that statement be true
Yeah, I should say that statement was more of an oughta be kind of thing. It's just bullshit we require anyone darker than olive to qualify their citizenship with a hyphen.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So I'm trying to understand what option they should go with. I'm asking honestly.

"African American at Xbox" sounds dumb and excludes black people not from the US
"Non-whites at Xbox" lol

Like...what are their options that won't piss someone off?

Xbox Black.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017

"Non-whites at Xbox" lol

Like...what are their options that won't piss someone off?
BlaXbox

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the name was decided from the members within the group itself and not just a group of black people sitting at a desk one day just talking when Major Nelson walks in the room saying "hey everyone, I have an idea.."

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
For some, maybe not. For others, maybe. If you block out the MS haters/lovers, it seems it's well worth discussion. It's this forums' strong point that this gets a good airing imo.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That "Blacks" is capitalized should be a hint.

Yup....

It's really clearly phrased. It would be the same as saying: "Check out our Women in Gaming panel" etc. It's not saying "Our women"; it's saying "Our Panel: Women in Gaming."

I guess it's vaguely kinda awkward, but I feel like you'd have to really be looking for that. Like, man people are gonna write things that seem fine to them, that they don't see another way of reading it. Instead of freaking out, a normal person would...probably just read it and go "oh right that's what they meant."

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me with this thread, and this reaction online in general? It kinda makes me extremely sad that the team felt the need to put out a statement on the name they fucking identified themselves as. Jesus Christ. I'm not black but fuck, just let people speak for themselves. What the fuck. And some phrasing?! What are we doing here?!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tweet is grammatically correct, the 'our' is referring to 'community' in the original tweet, "Blacks at Xbox" is a proper noun because it's the name of the group. I mean I guess they could've said "Our community here at Blacks at Xbox" instead of "Our Blacks at Xbox community" and people might not have reacted blindly to something they didn't understand...but maybe some responsibility lies with the reader to, idk, pay attention and do like a modicum of research and reading comprehension into what they are opening their mouth to offer a hot-take on.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
ITT people are offended and made uncomfortable by a group of black individuals identifying themselves however they fucking want. The second you learn this is the name they chose you should say, "oh my bad, maybe I should reexamine my biases and assumptions that a black group may have been created and named without black agency, carry on" not double down on what YOU think they should have done instead. Your discomfort is nobody's problem but your own, Please! fuck off
Gotta go with this.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Is the title "incredibly tone-deaf" referring to the resetera member that made this thread?

Wow is my reaction. As someone else said, some responsibility lies with the reader to do some research before reacting blindly to something.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the title "incredibly tone-deaf" referring to the resetera member that made this thread?

Wow is my reaction. As someone else said, some responsibility lies with the reader to do some research before reacting blindly to something.
Happens all the time here. People talking out of their asses falling over each other to be 'right' about things they have no knowledge of. Then they get called out and it's like "how was I supposed to know?". The issue isn't the lack of knowledge, it's speaking with a lack of knowledge. Makes the whole community look dumb and reactionary.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
If they got together and decided that they wanted to name their group Blacks At Xbox I'm not tripping. It's not what I would have gone with but it's also not a problem for me.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Happens all the time here. People talking out of their asses falling over each other to be 'right' about things they have no knowledge of. Then they get called out and it's like "how was I supposed to know?". The issue isn't the lack of knowledge, it's speaking with a lack of knowledge. Makes the whole community look dumb and reactionary.
the community is dumb and reactionary, its why i dont delve into off topic much.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Eh now you're being a douche about this. The people still taking issue with this after the clarification by MS happen to be the black members of our community. They are speaking with the knowledge that using such a name was in very poor taste. I disagree it is in poor taste but I'm not going to pretend like you did that that these individuals are being reactionary without any personal history behind it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
"Blacks" as a term for black people is a term often used by white people who don't care for black people and would rather use their skin color as a noun rather than an adjective to describe a human being. This goes back a long time in American history.

The Xbox tweeter made a (imo) forgivable mistake by being white and not knowing that "Our Blacks at Xbox" reads very differently than "Our 'Blacks at Xbox.'

Part of the misstep is that the lack of quotations that would have otherwise denoted referencing an already-established thing (made by black folks) turned into a big mean company implying that it owned black people.

As a more direct response, in common parlance, "black people" is the preferred term, as it does not define the subjects by their skin color, but instead just describes it.

Only problem I see here is I know a lot of people resent having their group being denoted with quotes. Doing so can make it sound illegitimate, since in common spoken language probably the most common use of quotes is to delegitimize and be sarcastic. Just something to consider. Plus I mean, we already have a system for grammatically indicating an organization or group with a name -- Capitalized main words -- which the guy writing the tweet did use.

Which of course makes a community managers job suck ass. So much to consider how someone might read what you're writing.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Black Women and Men of Xbox"

Thats it. Its not that hard. Yall trippin lol

Nothjng personal to you vern just saying in general as an option to your post

That's fine. I'm not saying what they should be called, I'm a white dude that's not involved in any way with this. I'm just saying it's weird to assume everyone is american. Or even African I suppose. There are other black people, Australian Aboriginal people come to mind. Who knows what the demographic of the group, but whatever it is they should be free to choose their name and not have a bunch of restera people get butthurt about it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh now you're being a douche about this. The people still taking issue with this after the clarification by MS happen to be the black members of our community. They are speaking with the knowledge that using such a name was in very poor taste. I disagree it is in poor taste but I'm not going to pretend like you did that that these individuals are being reactionary without any personal history behind it.
I'm mainly referring to the OP, who is not black (they are Pakistani) and clearly did not do the least bit of research to provide proper context as to the nature of the group in question, which should be the bare minimum expected of someone posting a thread.

Also, how could it possibly be in poor taste when this is a group of black people who work at Microsoft deciding what to call themselves? Individual posters here may not refer to themselves in that manner, that's their right, but they have no business telling other people how they can and cannot refer to themselves. It would have been obvious this was the case if the OP provided any context for who this group is, but it doesn't, so instead it encourages misinformed hot takes.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

I'm mainly referring to the OP, who is not black (they are Pakistani) and clearly did not do the least bit of research to provide proper context as to the nature of the group in question, which should be the bare minimum expected of someone posting a thread.

Also, how could it possibly be in poor taste when this is a group of black people who work at Microsoft deciding what to call themselves? Individual posters here may not refer to themselves in that manner, that's their right, but they have no business telling other people how they can and cannot refer to themselves. It would have been obvious this was the case if the OP provided any context for who this group is, but it doesn't, so instead it encourages misinformed hot takes.
Post history

OT: If the community wanted this to be called what it is, whats the big deal?

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's mostly just reaction gifs and pics, so not that insightful really. I just initially thought this discussion was going on mainly in Era, but seems like plenty of people are having issues with it.

Edit: There seems to be some console war shit going on too.
Isn't that just Resetera though?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they were tone deaf at all. I thought that "Blacks at Xbox" was just the Employee Resource Group at Microsoft. Out of context it sounds bad, but as someone who works in a corporate setting I understood it immediately.

If that's the name they chose for themselves, more power to them. My old job I was a part of an Asian ERG, and we were called "Asians of [company]"

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post history

OT: If the community wanted this to be called what it is, whats the big deal?
Yes, I see that they think the group's name is tone deaf, despite the fact that they now know what the group is and who comprises it. They aren't part of the group nor are they someone who the group represents so...why is this thread-worthy exactly? Also they still haven't updated the OP explaining the group itself, despite putting the community manager's (quite good) response there.

Status
Not open for further replies.