• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion it doesn't sound better, but it is what it is.

You may disagree with the terms used but let's not get carried away here bruh. I'm black, I'm not African.
I'm not getting carried away. I'm not even mad.

And wow at your comment. You are African. That's where your ancestors come from. It's in your DNA.

Three Fifths at Xbox

Ok.
I like how these discussions always get derailed by people confusing Ethnic American Black and Sub Saharan Diaspora Black with each other.

We all come from the same place. Just different cultures. Take a DNA test. Why do we love seperating ourselves.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Trying to get us to accept a label proclaiming nationality that we're like 10 generations removed from isn't a good look. It's fine if you want to be called African-American, but don't start with the preaching bullshit (like so many do) when you run into those that don't want to. Like, yes, we all know where the fuck our ancestors originally hailed from and why they're in the Americas.

Soprano, my dude. You could try asking the actual Africans who don't want to be associated with black Americans. Also, do we force all the Caribbean people, Brazilians etc. who happen to have descendants that traveled from Africa 400 years ago to refer to themselves as African-American? They live in the Americas and have African blood. The whole thing is silly as hell. If people don't want to be called AA, let it be and don't be one of "those" that has to get on the high horse about it.

Last edited:

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zhuge responded to you in a respectful manner, no need to be rude to him. Your joke was really random and could be seen in different ways.
Even now knowing the context it's so out of place for this thread.
i read that completely differently.

literally in a stern accusatory tone.

must be nice to be able to read that respectfully.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
As an ignorant white person, I was always under the impression "blacks" was one of those good faith/bad faith words. Where the intent behind the usage dictates whether it's a friendly or a hostile word?

Also, as pointed out a few times in this thread isn't "black" more inclusive than "African American"?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It definitely reads weird on a grammatical level, but personally, I've, as far as I can remember, preferred being call Black over African-American, so the weirdness ends at the grammar level for me.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, a terrorist fist bump controller!
giphy.gif

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Have a lot of you never worked in an office?

I've worked at numerous places with ERG groups named Blacks@Company, Latinos@Company, Veterans@Company, etc.

Jun 12, 2018
Complete thread backfire lol.

As a black man myself, the name is hella trash, but if that's what they decided to call themselves, it's whatever.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

I think he/she is referring to when Barack and Michelle Obama fist bumped each other. This of course got conservatives all upset and there was a political cartoon or magazine cover (can't remember which) that showed them fist bumping while wearing Middle Eastern garb. Hence the terrorist fist bump.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And wow at your comment. You are African. That's where your ancestors come from. It's in your DNA.
Hahaha, wow.

What is this?

Need I remind you that there's been about 600 years of absolutely vile cultural destruction of whatever ties to whichever African countries that black individuals may originally be from. That's just kind of what happens when you throw a bunch of kidnapped people with completely different languages and customs together and force them all to abandon those ties or else face death in the pursuit of enslavement and white supremacy.

You eventually get a culture of displacement and loneliness.

A lot of us do not feel African. We're black.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Poor wording in the tweet no doubt. Whoever posted it should have noticed the potential for a misunderstanding.

It always amazes me how these things snowball into a controversy though. It's like a game of telephone on steroids.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I've been to Egypt and Djibouti. Take a guess how many people there saw me as one of them. Go ahead, take a wild stab in the dark.

May 18, 2018
The funny thing about this thread is all of the black people are laughing at everyone else trying to be offended by this. "Blacks" isn't bad just sounds shitty. Like if an MRA says "female". It's not derogatory but too many assclowns made it seem that way.

We don't care about "blacks" because we don't even know what to call ourselves to begin with. Hell, I can't even stop fellow black folks from say the n-word with an a. Stuff like this is mostly fodder for the "all lives matter" nerds which only effects black people in the end. I know OP meant well but this is just something for black people to go "WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'OUR BLACKS'?" for a quick giggle before we make sure we don't have the police called on us for shopping in the wrong store.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Black has always worked for me. Never liked African American personally.

I hate being called African American- you can tell I'm of African decent, but you can't tell I'm American just by looking at me.

I cringe on behalf of my dark-skinned folks here from other nations every time I hear the term.

Black works

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
We all come from the same place. Just different cultures. Take a DNA test. Why do we love seperating ourselves.

I seriously doubt you are also arguing white people come from Africa.

Regional upbringing matters way more than historical lineage. The cultural norms of a region will shape the identity of a group.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Well I was hoping for a statement from the team. That's not much (I already read and linked that page earlier), but I'll take it. Was hoping to hear more about choosing that controversial naming. Surely they knew everyone wouldn't be fine with it, atleast right now it seems like something that should be obvious especially to black people.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
asking doesn't mean caring. people 'just ask questions' all the time with malicious intent.
Let me put it this way then. He could've just Warned, Banned, etc from how questionable it sounded but he took the time to ask that person individually what their intent was.

Nothing has happened when they verified.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Well I was hoping for a statement from the team. That's not much (I already read and linked that page earlier), but I'll take it. Was hoping to hear more about choosing that controversial naming.

The response likely isn't big enough for them to actually consider it controversial yet.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

We don't all come from the same place. A continent is not "the same place". I did a DNA test, I'm French West African. Benin and Togo or whatever. If you came from Nigeria or the Congo I'm positive that it's different. Hell im different from the black people that lived on the other side of the town I grew up in. Skin don't make us kin.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I get it. Founded and ran by black people. But it points to a bigger issue that this is how they chose to name their group. If Xbox had made diversity a bigger initiative there wouldn't be a "Blacks at Xbox" it would be something more abstract and cultural. This is literally "hey we're black and we work at Xbox, that's unique enough".

I'm not outraged. I'm just pointing out the likely atmosphere of the corporation.
You did not say this with a straight face and meant this...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The response likely isn't big enough for them to actually consider it controversial yet.
Going just by this thread, I could have thought so too. But under that Tweet itself, I think the responses are almost all very negative. As I mentioned earlier, some were even expecting someone to get fired over this. Which I don't think will of course happen, but I was expecting bit more communication and clarification from the actual team.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Not sure why anyone at Xbox would think it's important to create such a community. They may think it's cool but it doesn't matter what your skin color is. We're all human beings, some more talented than others.
If white wasnt thought of as default then yes youd have a point but honestly
Not sure why anyone at resetera would think it's important to create such a post. They may think it's cool but it doesn't matter it's a bad post.

Because it's cool to highlight others as it encourages more black people to see Microsoft(anywhere) as a place they would like to be at and other things some black kid could see this and have more encouragement in being a game developer etc

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
So many ignorant drive by posts. Some of you really should be held accountable. If you're quoted and corrected, acknowledge it. Don't just ghost the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.