• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will you see Black Widow?

• Disney+ Premiere Access ($29.99)

Votes: 504 33.3%
  • In theaters

Votes: 327 21.6%
  • Will wait for Blu-Ray/regular Disney+ release

Votes: 459 30.4%
  • Not interested in the movie

Votes: 222 14.7%

• Total voters

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Thank god for a july date

should have my shorts by then, but I guess that was the reason it got delayed again

FATWS got me thirsty for more actions but seen on a big cinema screen

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone actually explain the logic to me of delaying it to July but also release on D+ ?
Shouldn't it make more sense to stick with the May theatrical release and also release it on D+ instead ?
This lets more people see it safely in theaters while also letting people who can't safely go to theaters yet see it.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
You're free to pay or not pay what you want; nobody is saying otherwise. But you need to understand the financial reality of how things operate if you want certain things. There's a large difference in the budgets that are used to make those TV shows on streaming services and and big blockbuster movies. Streaming services as is do not generate the money that makes these movies possible right now. Movies also generate revenue from multiple release tiers which all stacks to the total revenue generated so to bypass one source of revenue, to make it worthwhile it needs to make up that revenue otherwise they're losing money.

Avengers Infinity War and Endgame cannot happen under the streaming model as it stands right now because neither would be financially viable. So right now the choice is to pay for it, or the type of content that gets created gets changed to compensate with the lower budgets and revenue. People beg for day 1 streaming releases and if they really want it, they're going to need to pay for it and this is the opportunity to prove that this method is viable. Otherwise, they'll just go back to the theatrical release and you'll have to wait until it reaches the release tier you're comfortable with paying for after it's already been subsidized by the other release tiers. I'm assuming anyone begging for day 1 releases also doesn't want to wait though. So now is the time to put up or shut up if you want this distribution model to exist. Otherwise, we'll go back to the model that works better for them.
But again this brings us back to why do I need to pay for a group of four when there's just one of me. Under the old theatrical model I payed for a ticket; why should I be obligated to pay for four for a movie now, it should be on Disney to solve that not me. Not fair to punish me for having the audacity to not throw a movie watching party during a pandemic. I won't be fully vaccinated come July and neither will other people my age in my country.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Can someone actually explain the logic to me of delaying it to July but also release on D+ ?
Shouldn't it make more sense to stick with the May release and release it on D+ instead ?

If you assume this is all about Covid and the vaccine rollout, then you are correct. If you asssume it isn't all about Covid, delaying to July and releasing on Disney+ makes perfect sense. You maximize the theater attendance by delaying to July while still maximizing profit by allowing people who want to watch at home to do so.

Disney gets 100% of the revenue from Disney+.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't think Marvel has ever released a September movie..and I'm worried about how well an asian led marvel movie is going to do. I hope he gets a stringer or introduced a little bit in BW or something.
First Guardians was supposed to bomb, then Ant-Man. I'm sure Shang-Chi will be just fine.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
But again this brings us back to why do I need to pay for a group of four when there's just one of me. Under the old theatrical model I payed for a ticket; why should I be obligated to pay for four for a movie now, it should be on Disney to solve that not me. Not fair to punish me for having the audacity to not throw a movie watching party during a pandemic. I won't be fully vaccinated come July and neither will other people my age in my country.

Because there is no reasonable way for any movie studio to know how many people are watching and then charge accordingly. This is one of the things that comes with the ability to stream at home on day 1. That's why the cost is higher. The ways that they can track this would have plenty of people complaining about privacy issues because you'd have to have a camera trained on the people watching. Heck even when there was a patent from either Sony or Microsoft doing that very thing when it came to either Eye Toy or Kinect, people were upset at the concept. You're going to have to give me some viable method if you're going to have any argument on how they should price it for you alone while not getting screwed financially. Saying it's up to them to figure that out isn't a good enough argument because it doesn't factor in reality of you wanting something that just isn't possible.

The times, they are a-changin

How this does is largely going to dictate how they change though. So as I keep saying, anyone who wants this needs to put up or shut up with this release. Now is the time to prove to Disney and other movie studios that day 1 is viable.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Hopefully I can get my vaccination soon (just started qualifying, need to get an appointment) and July is far enough away I'm actually kinda pumped to try and see this in a real theater. Assuming cases around me are minimal and I can book a showing at an off hour in the morning, this'll be the first film I see back in a theater since Birds of Prey.

Which is probably Disney's intention.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
How this does is largely going to dictate how they change though. So as I keep saying, anyone who wants this needs to put up or shut up with this release. Now is the time to prove to Disney and other movie studios that day 1 is viable.

Of course. One interesting thing, Disney is obviously happy with the $29 price point. They haven't tweaked that at all since the original Mulan test.

Also, I bet the execs at Warner Bros are kicking themselves that they didn't wait a couple of weeks to close the Cinemark deal. They would have had way more leverage after this. Lol.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Because there is no reasonable way for any movie studio to know how many people are watching and then charge accordingly. This is one of the things that comes with the ability to stream at home on day 1. That's why the cost is higher. The ways that they can track this would have plenty of people complaining about privacy issues because you'd have to have a camera trained on the people watching. Heck even when there was a patent from either Sony or Microsoft doing that very thing when it came to either Eye Toy or Kinect, people were upset at the concept. You're going to have to give me some viable method if you're going to have any argument on how they should price it for you alone while not getting screwed financially. Saying it's up to them to figure that out isn't a good enough argument because it doesn't factor in reality of you wanting something that just isn't possible.

But it IS up to them to figure it out. Your second paragraph here makes your first frustrating. You want me to have to overpay so that you can have what you want. The job of coming up with the pricing structure isn't mine, it's theirs. If what I want isn't possible I'm not throwing my money away just so you get what you want?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Have they even released a picture from it? There's been leaked stuff from Eternals but I don't think I've seen anything from Shang Chi.
EvI6ajuVgAA1GBg

🥴

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
But it IS up to them to figure it out. Your second paragraph here makes your first frustrating. You want me to have to overpay so that you can have what you want. The job of coming up with the pricing structure isn't mine, it's theirs. If what I want isn't possible I'm not throwing my money away just so you get what you want?

What you are missing is that $29 is a fucking steal for a family of four. Straight up theft. You may not like it, but Disney has released multiple movies at this price point. The price is not the issue.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I was told this was never going to happen, after the numbers for Raya came out lol.

Super excited! Cant believe they are doing it on the same day as theaters. I figured at best we would get a two week delay. Guess this does give theater chains what they want, while also giving customers the option to decide for themselves. Wish this sort of release would stick around permanently. When Raya came out I read an article saying Disney gets in profit the equivalent of 6 movie ticket sales with each home rental on Disney+.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
What you are missing is that $29 is a fucking steal for a family of four. Straight up theft. You may not like it, but Disney has released multiple movies at this price point. The price is not the issue.
I'm not missing that, I understand that. It's not a steal for me though, I don't have a family of four and I don't want to pay for my imaginary kids.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Watch WB/HBOMAX have it right all along with the day & date streaming strategy this year.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
30 bucks is just something I'm not going to pay on top of my disney+ sub just to see the movie a few weeks earlier.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm not missing that, I understand that. It's not a steal for me though, I don't have a family of four and I don't want to pay for my imaginary kids.

Then go to the theater? Find a friend to split the cost. Disney is giving you options here.

Personally, I'm going to watch it with my brother and nephew and we will split the cost.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So go see it in a theater when you are vaccinated? Or wait until it comes out to rent for $5? Disney is not required to give you the movie you want to see at the price you want to see it for, in the exact method you want to use to watch it.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at those who thought it was still coming beginning of May. June is definitely the kick off for testing those waters.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

They make more money at this price (giving a deal to average and larger groups) and cutting you out of a fair price for a single admission than the reverse. A single admission to a movie is not the norm. They can't they afford to price it as such for streaming and make money

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Actually you don't know what I want. I want day 1 to fail personally because I know day 1 means it comes at the expense of movie theaters and I love the movie theater experience. I'm even saying this as someone who will have a much better setup than 99% of the people on this forum and could truly take advantage of day 1 streaming better than most people. So I'm not arguing what I want; I'm arguing for the people who have been demanding for day 1 streaming to happen that now is the time to prove it's viable by paying for it. Over the last year I've seen people say well that movie isn't good enough but man if Black Widow is released, I'll pay for it. Well now is that time to prove it.

What you want isn't realistic and I'm trying to show you how your demands aren't realistic and saying it's up to Disney and movie studios to figure out how to make an unrealistic thing realistic is an unrealistic expectation. I want Chris Evans and Robert Downy Jr to personally watch the movie with me in my house and everyone else to have the same option on release day but that's not a realistic situation either and it would be unrealistic for me to expect Disney to figure out how to make that happen. The fact that you think it's financially feasible for them to just offer it for free of charge on their services or that they're leaving money on the table if they don't take your $5 just shows how out of touch you are with the financial reality of the situation.

So the reality is, if anyone wants day 1 to happen, this is your opportunity to make it happen because this movie and how it does is going to dictate the future of blockbuster movie releases. If you and everyone else isn't willing to pay for day 1 streaming, then movie studios aren't going to offer day 1 streaming.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Disney should just start a premier price tier like $5 more a month or something to have access to new theater releases.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Then go to the theater? Find a friend to split the cost. Disney is giving you options here.

Personally, I'm going to watch it with my brother and nephew and we will split the cost.
There's a pandemic on mate? Neither of those are options.
So go see it in a theater when you are vaccinated? Or wait until it comes out to rent for $5? Disney is not required to give you the movie you want to see at the price you want to see it for, in the exact method you want to use to watch it.
That's true, but unlike what some posters think I'm not obligated to give Disney money just to signal support for the idea of streaming.
They make more money at this price (giving a deal to average and larger groups) and cutting you out of a fair price for a single admission than the reverse. A single admission to a movie is not the norm. They can't they afford to price it as such for streaming and make money
I'd normally go with a friend. If me and a friend could do a watch party and split the cost is be okay with it, but they want every account to pay separately.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There's a pandemic on mate? Neither of those are options.

That's true, but unlike what some posters think I'm not obligated to give Disney money just to signal support for the idea of strraking.

I'd normally go with a friend. If me and a friend could do a watch part and split the cost is be okay with it, but they want every account to pay separately.

I don't know where you live, but here in the US we are all going to be vaccinated by July. If you and a friend aren't vaccinated by then to have a watch party at your house, I'm sorry.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where you live, but here in the US we are all going to be vaccinated by July. If you and a friend aren't vaccinated by then to have a watch party at your house, I'm sorry.
In the UK were on track to maybe have a first dose then but definitely not a second one.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Actually you don't know what I want. I want day 1 to fail personally because I know day 1 means it comes at the expense of movie theaters and I love the movie theater experience. I'm even saying this as someone who will have a much better setup than 99% of the people on this forum and could truly take advantage of day 1 streaming better than most people. So I'm not arguing what I want; I'm arguing for the people who have been demanding for day 1 streaming to happen that now is the time to prove it's viable by paying for it. Over the last year I've seen people say well that movie isn't good enough but man if Black Widow is released, I'll pay for it. Well now is that time to prove it.

What you want isn't realistic and I'm trying to show you how your demands aren't realistic and saying it's up to Disney and movie studios to figure out how to make an unrealistic thing realistic is an unrealistic expectation. I want Chris Evans and Robert Downy Jr to personally watch the movie with me in my house and everyone else to have the same option on release day but that's not a realistic situation either and it would be unrealistic for me to expect Disney to figure out how to make that happen. The fact that you think it's financially feasible for them to just offer it for free of charge on their services or that they're leaving money on the table if they don't take your $5 just shows how out of touch you are with the financial reality of the situation.

So the reality is, if anyone wants day 1 to happen, this is your opportunity to make it happen because this movie and how it does is going to dictate the future of blockbuster movie releases. If you and everyone else isn't willing to pay for day 1 streaming, then movie studios aren't going to offer day 1 streaming.
Ah. In that case I'm really sorry, I've totally misinterpreted you. Your posts make a lot more sense to me if you're coming at this from the angle that Day 1 streaming is a bad thing. I'm sorry that I've been argumentative.
Disney+ allows up to 4 simultaneous streams at the same time. I'm sure you can connect the dots here.
Hmmm, this might be a workable idea. Can you use the group watch feature with a different log in of your account? Or would we have to sync pauses manually?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Disney should just start a premier price tier like $5 more a month or something to have access to new theater releases.

I don't think the math works out by doing this though. They'll probably stand to make more from the way they're doing it now. It could even hinder the service by creating a different monthly tier which would then put into scrutiny of what releases you get for that extra $5. I would assume you wouldn't get all their theatrical releases and if they did do all of them, I don't think the math works out to generate enough revenue to compensate for those movies.

That's true, but unlike what some posters think I'm not obligated to give Disney money just to signal support for the idea of streaming.

I don't think you're obligated. I'm saying this is the key moment that is going to dictate how things are going to work moving forward so now is the time to prove it viable or we go back to how things were. So if you at all care about day 1, this is the time to prove it. If you don't, and it fails, then I hope you don't complain about why they don't release day 1 movies through a streaming service when you were given a chance to make it happen.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I'd normally go with a friend. If me and a friend could do a watch party and split the cost is be okay with it, but they want every account to pay separately.

Yeah, I definitely sympathize. I just don't see what a solution would be for that audience subset. Others stated above you can share accounts and stream simultaneously (I honestly didn't know this was a thing)