• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would fit with the rumors about him copying other characters that were there

Well, we've already seen him use Cap, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man in the trailers, and his action figure has Black Panther claws. That's just about everyone at the Airport fight who has copy-able skills if you assume some of his martial arts come from Bucky and you factor in his obvious use of Widow's moves.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Well, we've already seen him use Cap, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man in the trailers, and his action figure has Black Panther claws. That's just about everyone at the Airport fight who has copy-able skills if you assume some of his martial arts come from Bucky and you factor in his obvious use of Widow's moves.

...where we saw spidey?

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...where we saw spidey?

Tasky swings on a web in the second trailer, look in the top left and you can see it:

3a01f0339f75c97b644db7d1b690ff8ca10a59eb.gifv

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Cap didn't pull off that move at the airport. He did it in the elevator inside Shield HQ in The Winter Soldier.

I didn't say he was ONLY watching Civil War. Besides, Taskmaster's powers include the ability to 'fill' gaps; if he sees you do half your moveset, his powers extrapolate and allow him to do the rest. He doesn't have to see Cap do that specific technique to pick it up if he's seen Cap use the shield a lot. And that's just going by the comics, let alone what they might come up with for the movie.

Also, if my theory about Taskmaster being Mason is right, it's possible he saw SHIELD footage anyways.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Excitement growing for this

I just hope the story isn't formulaic that there's some real shocking twist and turns

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get annoyed with the "generic" or "safe" criticism that the MCU gets but this looks generic and safe.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of the Airport Battle's combatants, Taskmaster could realistically copy...
  • Captain America (confirmed)
  • Winter Soldier
  • Hawkeye (confirmed)
  • Black Widow (confirmed)
  • Spider-Man (confirmed)
  • Black Panther (confirmed)
But at the same time, I don't think Taskmaster would need to spy on them during that fight. Peter was referencing the fight on YouTube in the middle of class during Homecoming, so Taskmaster could just watch that.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the Airport Battle's combatants, Taskmaster could realistically copy...
  • Captain America (confirmed)
  • Winter Soldier
  • Hawkeye (confirmed)
  • Black Widow (confirmed)
  • Spider-Man (confirmed)
  • Black Panther (confirmed)
But at the same time, I don't think Taskmaster would need to spy on them during that fight. Peter was referencing the fight on YouTube in the middle of class during Homecoming, so Taskmaster could just watch that.

Yeah, my 'spying' thing mostly is based on my personal theory that he's working for Ross and has been since before Civil War. I don't think Task is gonna be someone 'new', I think he's going to be introduced as someone Ross has been using to do his dirty work for awhile.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the theory was that Taskmaster was one of the Widows.

lol. nah. Canon only.

It's a theory I see a lot on Tumblr/Twitter but I think it's silly. It mostly just stems from people without comic knowledge who went 'TASKMASTER DOES WIDOW MOVES HE MUST BE A WIDOW!'

Mason makes a LOT more sense. I won't be surprised if he's a Widow, some MCU TWIIIST like Mandarin, but until proven otherwise, I'm going with Occam's Razor.
Mason has the build/height, the right bio, and he hasn't appeared in any trailer/poster.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a theory I see a lot on Tumblr/Twitter but I think it's silly. It mostly just stems from people without comic knowledge who went 'TASKMASTER DOES WIDOW MOVES HE MUST BE A WIDOW!'

Mason makes a LOT more sense. I won't be surprised if he's a Widow, some MCU TWIIIST like Mandarin, but until proven otherwise, I'm going with Occam's Razor.
Mason has the build/height, the right bio, and he hasn't appeared in any trailer/poster.
who the fuck is Mason?

(I've seen every MCU film at least twice.)

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who the fuck is Mason?

(I've seen every MCU film at least twice.)

O-T Fagbenle's character. He's the fifth member of the main cast:

image-152-740x415.jpg

His bio is that he's an ex-SHIELD agent who's got a past with Natasha, possibly romantic. He's conspicuously missing from all marketing so far, and his SHIELD roots line up well with Taskmaster's own comic canon history. He's obviously a reference to Rick Mason, a minor comic character, but I find them fusing Rick and Taskmaster into one character a lot more feasible than the theory about Widows/Melina, considering Rick is basically a nobody who does nothing.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, didn't think I'd get spoiled in this thread but all y'alls speculation is so on-point I can't imagine it being anyone else.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
O-T Fagbenle's character. He's the fifth member of the main cast:

image-152-740x415.jpg

His bio is that he's an ex-SHIELD agent who's got a past with Natasha, possibly romantic. He's conspicuously missing from all marketing so far, and his SHIELD roots line up well with Taskmaster's own comic canon history. He's obviously a reference to Rick Mason, a minor comic character, but I find them fusing Rick and Taskmaster into one character a lot more feasible than the theory about Widows/Melina, considering Rick is basically a nobody who does nothing.
I bet its not him and they are doing this to twist it. Its probably the Mum or something.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The action bits looks very average. You can totally see where Marvel stepped in and did the work instead of the director.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet its not him and they are doing this to twist it. Its probably the Mum or something.

Popular theory yeah. I don't buy it, I don't see Melina pulling double duty as two major Marvel canons. Iron Maiden is already important to the Black Widow mythos and she's present in so many scenes already. I will eat my Crow if I'm wrong but I don't think I am. The MCU really doesn't do twists that often. People are just paranoid and wanna "outwit" the movie.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm done running from my past" is probably the most generic blockbuster hook I can think of.

Those lines are always recorded for the trailers and never actually in the movie.

In Civil War's trailer I think Iron Man actually exclaimed "You Just Started a War!!"

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those lines are always recorded for the trailers and never actually in the movie.

In Civil War's trailer I think Iron Man actually exclaimed "You Just Started a War!!"

It's still the hook Marvel has decided to use to promote the movie. It's generic.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
oh wow I had no idea this was a movie, for some reason always thought it was a Disney+ show

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I wonder about the point of making a prequel pertaining to a dead character. Are they going to important one of the other characters for the next arc/phase of Marvel's superhero saga?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I wonder about the point of making a prequel pertaining to a dead character. Are they going to important one of the other characters for the next arc/phase of Marvel's superhero saga?

This movie has a lot of potential for setting up pieces for the future, especially since the Thunderbolts SHOULD be a thing by now.

Zemo in Falcon &TWS, the Leader is still around, Abomination too, Yelena, Taskmaster, Ross... they are pretty much all you need to get Thunderbolts off the ground.

Last edited:

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Taskmaster still looking like an X Games reject.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
this taking place before Infinity War makes it not interesting to me. Sucks because I always wanted a film for her since they kept her so shallow. This seems low stakes.

Feels like they screwed the momentum of her up and waited till she wasn't a notable part of the coming films. The Disney+ shows and Eternals are more intriguing new eras.