• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the Melina fakeout was sold really well.

My biggest surprise in the movie was how great Florence Pugh was. I have no experience with her so didn't know what to expect. She was excellent and I'm now looking forward to the character going forward.
Midsommar and Little Women are both great.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wish it was better but didn't dislike it. Widow is one of my favorite MCU characters so I had high hopes and just thought it was fine.

So I coughed up the $30 and watched it at home.

1. Good movie. A bit darker and more serious than the other MCU films.
2. I liked the sister dynamic.
3. I really liked Red Guardian and Melina and the whole dysfunctional family arrangement.

Now here's my only real problem with the movie:

----I don't like the whole kidnapping of little girls, forced hysterectomies and all that other trafficking type of stuff. It's way too serious for the MCU and I don't think it was appropriate in general to use it in a comic book movie. I was nervous about it knowing Natasha's background, and I really felt the beginning of the movie was a bit too traumatizing to spin off into a MCU film.

It's just too serious of a subject to cash in on, IMO.

I actually felt they didn't do enough with that serious stuff. Like, it's there and it's important but the film doesn't quite come to grips with it in a significant way. It's just a thing that's happening. I'm not sure how they could have better used it in the plot though (other than, I guess, pulling fewer punches and having Nat be more introspective). There's plenty of genre films that expertly use serious subject matter to explore it in ways traditional stories can't.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Sadly, I think this will be the only Marvel movie to get Premier Access.

Damn, just looked it up and the last news (from May) is that there's a 45 day delay before Shang-Chi gets on D+. Well, there goes that wishful thinking. I never wait more than 2 or 3 days to go see an MCU film, so I guess that will finally be my first time in the theater since the start of COVID. Really wish subtitles were an option though.

This would've been great tbf, it is a shame he wasn't shown considering the link that they have.

Yup. At least it is guaranteed to be discussed in some capacity given what we know about the Hawkeye series.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, just looked it up and the last news (from May) is that there's a 45 day delay before Shang-Chi gets on D+. Well, there goes that wishful thinking. I never wait more than 2 or 3 days to go see an MCU film, so I guess that will finally be my first time in the theater since the start of COVID. Really wish subtitles were an option though.

Yup. At least it is guaranteed to be discussed in some capacity given what we know about the Hawkeye series.
It's not on the movie but AMC has a device you can get at your seat for certain showings that will have closed captions.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Yeah, it's disappointing. It's really nice to have options.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This ended up being about what I thought it would be, mostly because I feel like I'd seen most of the movie in the trailers! But Yelena was awesome (and, I mean… it was Florence Pugh), and I'm excited to see her in Hawkeye.

If this movie had come out when Captain Marvel did, it would've been awesome. Now, it just feels weird.

I thought Disney changed their tune on Shiang-Chi coming to Disney+ day one? Was that just some weird error in the YouTube description?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So that post credit sequence made me realize that the next major arc in the MCU is going to be super interesting.

Overall, wife and I super liked this one. It was really fun getting to dive into Black Widow's history. And the Red Room is such a fucked but radical movie concept. Fun film!

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
just watched it. Should've come way sooner and I wish we got a movie on Budapest mission. I really liked it tho.

actually pretty trash that this is an after thought since black widow is dead.

also, I wish this move was a little darker and covered the abuse more.

was hoping for a captain America cameo as well.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was better but didn't dislike it. Widow is one of my favorite MCU characters so I had high hopes and just thought it was fine.

I actually felt they didn't do enough with that serious stuff. Like, it's there and it's important but the film doesn't quite come to grips with it in a significant way. It's just a thing that's happening. I'm not sure how they could have better used it in the plot though (other than, I guess, pulling fewer punches and having Nat be more introspective). There's plenty of genre films that expertly use serious subject matter to explore it in ways traditional stories can't.

What bothered me was that after that intro section, the rest of the movie becomes a standard formulaic MCU popcorn flick. The one scene where Natasha and Yelena are almost mockingly talking about the hysterectomy stuff with their dad after the prison break, with silly hand gestures and stuff, felt really unnecessary.

I just didn't like how they handled it.

Oct 25, 2017
just saw it, had a fun time, i like sister widow and i would like to see more of her, excited about the prospect of her taking over as widow in the future
movie was a bit more somber than I expected which I enjoyed
I think series rewatches will be improved by having this after civil war, rather than release order where it's a little strangely late

taskmaster was absolutely wasted
like shockingly poor, didn't even seem appropriate for this movie
and his her main gimmick barely factored into her fights
just why bother if you're going to do it like this
the MCU usually adapts more satisfyingly than this, big disappointment

at least she's still alive so she can show up again in the future, hopefully with a more flamboyant outfit and not as some other dude's silent lackey
future appearances can rectify that mistake

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished. It was good. The shift in tone after the opening surprised me. Rachel Weisz's character surprised me more, as I wasn't expecting her to have as many comedic moments. I want more of her character.

I thought they'd clear up the future of the Black Widow mantle in this movie, but that was left pretty nebulous.

Riggs

Oct 28, 2017
This joins Ant Man & The Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Captain Marvel, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2 as "movie I will forget everything about in 2 days".

Good to see the screenwriters using their set piece dice set though. "We're going to have a… *rolls die* Prison Break and it's set… *rolls die* in an avalanche!"

Dec 26, 2017
I think series rewatches will be improved by having this after civil war, rather than release order where it's a little strangely late
I thought it was interesting how there wasn't some sort of framing device at the beginning and ending with characters remembering Natasha post-Endgame or something. Instead, except for the end credits stinger, it felt like they treated the whole thing like a "lost film" that is totally meant to be watched right after Civil War.

Oct 25, 2017
so that cutaway at the end was kinda weird
the g man is rolling up and then it just cuts to weeks later like that didnt even happen
like i guess i just have to roll with it and assume she weaseled her way out
but it was awkward, what happened there

i dont know what im supposed to think or feel about that scene/moment

Last edited:

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Four things are true:

1. Comics Taskmaster is C-list, but has neat powers, a fun design and some decent moments
2. The Taskmaster in this movie was not quite as 'cool' or 'fun' as the Taskmaster of the comics
3. Antonia Dreykov was an important and well-executed character THEMATICALLY, a physical manifestation of Black Widow's red ledger that she overcomes not by killing her, but by saving her, cementing Natasha as a hero who kept her heart
4. Taskmaster is still alive, now has free will, and will have been free for 6-7 years when next we see her, meaning the door is open for a more fun/"accurate" portrayal (though a door being open doesn't mean someone walks through it)

While I get the temptation to call this an X-Men origins situation,

•Taskmaster was not even 30% as culturally popular as Deadpool in that moment
•While Taskmaster's design was a bit boring compared to his comics outfit, it was not NEARLY as mangled as Origins deadpool
•Taskmaster at least had an approximation of the same powers, whereas Origins DP was completely different
•Taskmaster lives on to evolve while Origins DP was killed at the time
•Origins DP wasn't thematically relevant at all to Wolverine, because that movie had no themes
Just a small correction: Origins DP actually survives, there's a post credit scene that shows this, but I don't expect anyone to remember what happens in that god awful movie.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a thousand ways Natasha could've escaped the convoy.

•There was debris all over the goddamn place, which at some point probably made the road impassable
•Could've put on a helmet of a nearby body and played dead, then stole a car
•Used her widow's sting bracelets on the lead car which derailed the convoy
•Spotted a weapon in the wreckage that she used to buy time to escape
•Bluffed that she had a sniper trained on Ross from the treeline
•Had an extra holographic mask or some equivalent

And so on. Another fight scene would have been "cool", but it would have been thematically empty. She had already overcome the living manifestation of her sordid past, a fight with Ross & co would've been empty calories at that point.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
so that cutaway at the end was kinda weird
the g man is rolling up and then it just cuts to weeks later like that didnt even happen
like i guess i just have to roll with it and assume she weaseled her way out
but it was awkward, what happened there

i dont know what im supposed to think or feel about that scene/moment
When has Ross ever been good at capturing Avengers?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a small correction: Origins DP actually survives, there's a post credit scene that shows this, but I don't expect anyone to remember what happens in that god awful movie.

You're right! I did forget about that. I remember reading about how that post credits thing was originally not in the plans.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What bothered me was that after that intro section, the rest of the movie becomes a standard formulaic MCU popcorn flick. The one scene where Natasha and Yelena are almost mockingly talking about the hysterectomy stuff with their dad after the prison break, with silly hand gestures and stuff, felt really unnecessary.

I just didn't like how they handled it.
They weren't mocking the procedure, she was just getting clinical about it because of his ignorance for what they went through (a program that he directly handed them over to) and his casual misogyny saying she must be on her period because she is angry at him.

It's a sensitive topic, but I didn't get the sense that they were mocking hysterectomies at all, more mocking the man getting squeamish over women stuff after how flippantly he dismissed their emotions as being on their period.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
My wife and I just finished the movie and our biggest takeaway is that Florence Pugh's hair game is A++

Oct 25, 2017
When has Ross ever been good at capturing Avengers?
why even have him drive up there if theyre gonna skip over it completely
like why write that on the page at all if his presence is completely futile and not even worth showing
he could have just...not been there
feels kinda like they filmed something there and later just said nevermind

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
why even have him drive up there if theyre gonna skip over it completely
like why write that on the page at all if his presence is completely futile and not even worth showing
he could have just...not been there
feels kinda like they filmed something there and later just said nevermind
It's a bookend. Film starts and ends with her evading the feds. Helps contextualize where she is in the bigger universe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. It was good. The shift in tone after the opening surprised me. Rachel Weisz's character surprised me more, as I wasn't expecting her to have as many comedic moments. I want more of her character.

I thought they'd clear up the future of the Black Widow mantle in this movie, but that was left pretty nebulous.

This movie basically makes it clear there isn't a mantle - there's just a whole bunch of Widows.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There are a thousand ways Natasha could've escaped the convoy.

•There was debris all over the goddamn place, which at some point probably made the road impassable
•Could've put on a helmet of a nearby body and played dead, then stole a car
•Used her widow's sting bracelets on the lead car which derailed the convoy
•Spotted a weapon in the wreckage that she used to buy time to escape
•Bluffed that she had a sniper trained on Ross from the treeline
•Had an extra holographic mask or some equivalent

And so on. Another fight scene would have been "cool", but it would have been thematically empty. She had already overcome the living manifestation of her sordid past, a fight with Ross & co would've been empty calories at that point.

They spent all that time having a "goodbye" though like she was going to stay behind when it seemed like it would've just made sense for her to escape with them right then and there while the wreckage on its own was an obvious distraction, if they were really going for some kind of follow-up escape or needing some stalling. I was getting the impression she was willingly going into custody because I couldn't remember how Infinity War picked up for her, and then it weirdly cuts like that, so I'm not sure it's obvious what's going on?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bookend. Film starts and ends with her evading the feds. Helps contextualize where she is in the bigger universe.
I just saw someone point out that you can actually see them arriving and exiting their vehicles in that scene in one of the trailers so my suspicion that there might have been more to that scene in some prior iteration is true
maybe it was ultimately superfluous but regardless the sudden cut felt weird to me

Oct 25, 2017
What's not to get? Captain Marvel had beaches and blockbuster and the opening to Black Widow had lawns and football fields. Those are two totally different sets of things, how could it possibly be the same year? It completely breaks the immersion.
everybody knows that in the 90s they threw blockbuster vhs cases instead of footballs
what a blunder

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it, and it makes Black Widows sacrifice even more tragic.

Also, that opening cover is terrible.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder what would have happened if they tried using the mind control neutralizing gas on Bucky before he got fully deprogrammed in Wakanda. It probably wouldn't have worked (as we know there was a lot of other stuff involved in Bucky's mind control) but Melina's process was based on the Winter Soldier project in part.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
That very enjoyable. Much more emotionally impactful than I thought it would be. RIP Natasha. But love the sister Yelena. If she is to be the new Black Widow. Then the role is in good hands.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If anything it makes it more questionable why Natasha would even still want to be called that after she broke free. I guess it can fit into the self-loathing she felt about her past actions.

I mean she kinda doesn't? By the end of her role in the Avengers films everybody just calls her by her name.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I had friends visiting from NYC as well as family and friends over to watch Black Widow in my newly finished home theater room. There was 15 of us total. Everyone had theater candy/sodas/popcorn and were wrapped up in blankets, lounging on our new furniture. Blackout, 86" TV, Klipsch surround cranked up to shake the house, goddamn it was awesome. I even played trailers for Dune, Eternals, Shang Chi, and Batman before Black Widow, which everyone thought was an excellent touch! I was in the back row, and about 20 minutes into the movie I looked over at my friend sitting next to me and gestured out to everyone in front of us saying "This is absolutely perfect" and he gave me a proud nod of agreement.

I couldn't have asked for a better movie to break in and show off my setup. Everyone was super excited to see it. I was bursting with pride when the movie was over and the room erupted in conversation and compliments.

Every person there loved the movie. It looked and sounded so damn good. Red Guardian stole every scene he was in. God I hope Marvel has more plans for him. Everyone wants to do a movie night once a month at my place now, which would thrill me to no end!

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. Hope I'm not being controversial but I wish taskmaster talked more and had a rep like the winter soldier. Didn't like that widow didn't know who that was.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested, concept art for the Hawkeye show leaked a few months ago that had Yelena in it. Putting it in spoilers as it has concept art for Doctor Strange 2 and Ms. Marvel in the same image.
W0q3OwG.png
Nothing super different, just thought it'd be fun to see again now that we know her character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Black Widow the Avenger is done though. The name will live on somehow IMO.

Ehhhhhh...maybe. I'm sure we'll see more of Yelena (hopefully post-Hawkeye, too), but I would like to see her break away from that name especially considering how much of her life it dominated.

But y'all know me. I think hero mantles are stupid, and really more about marketing/branding than about the characters themselves.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I went into this movie not even thinking it was possible that she wouldn't be "Black Widow" by the end, so I was surprised when there wasn't a passing of the mantle scene in it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just unfortunate pandemic timing, we were supposed to see Black Widow before her F&WS appearance

I actually disagree.

I prefer the order they released, because her appearance in the show made me excited when she was in the credit scene.

If I'd seen BW first, I'd have been like "oh, ok, cool I guess".

I also think it's funny people said her appearance was confusing in F&WS because covid screwed with the order, but her appearance here didn't fill in any new information for real lol

I went into this movie not even thinking it was possible that she wouldn't be "Black Widow" by the end, so I was surprised when there wasn't a passing of the mantle scene in it.

An official passing of the mantle wouldn't have really made sense given Natasha was still alive and very much active in the role.

I think the movie did the work to justify her stepping into the name soon.