• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So surely I'm not the first to piece this together, but Phase 4 is building up to Avengers 5 being 'Dark Avengers', right?

From Black Widow and the Disney+ shows, you've got already got some obvious and less-so obvious candidates:

- Yelena (new Black Widow)
- US Agent

and then maybe:

- White Vision
- Agatha

With Valentina being the anti-Nick Fury. They're all alt-versions of existing Avengers.

Surely this is the route?
Feels like they're setting up young avengers vs thunderbolts/dark avengers

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Fun movie, great great cast. Excited about what this looks like it's leading to with the Thunderbolts. We just got it on Disney Plus since we can just keep watching it for cheaper than than us getting two Dolby tickets to see it once.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this compared to expectations

It added a fair amount of depth to her decision in endgame

The action sequences were eh though. Too many quick cuts

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: The opening of Hawkeye will be Clint at his farm but Yelena comes after him, leading to him having to escape to end up in NYC (Where he appears to be in Hawkeye set photos), which is how they explain him not sticking with his family.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thought this movie was just OK.
Loved Florence Pugh and her chemistry with Scarlett but overall the story didn't do much for me.

The post credits scene makes it seem like Florence's character is going more to Disney+ rather than big boy Marvel but we'll see.

Edit: The sad Nirvana cover during the opening sequence was unforgivably bad though.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So surely I'm not the first to piece this together, but Phase 4 is building up to Avengers 5 being 'Dark Avengers', right?

From Black Widow and the Disney+ shows, you've got already got some obvious and less-so obvious candidates:

- Yelena (new Black Widow)
- US Agent

and then maybe:

- White Vision
- Agatha

With Valentina being the anti-Nick Fury. They're all alt-versions of existing Avengers.

Surely this is the route?

I'd like to see Ghost from Ant-Man 2. And then Abomination (since he's coming back).

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely will get dark avengers or thunderbolts in some form. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Marvels is about an antagonist moonstone.

I think I preferred the trailer music to the in movie score save the titles. That cover worked for me.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished seeing them.

I thought it was good, about what I expected from this kind of movie.

The post credit scene definitely makes Yelena's ark much more interesting.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Thought this movie was just OK.
Loved Florence Pugh and her chemistry with Scarlett but overall the story didn't do much for me.

The post credits scene makes it seem like Florence's character is going more to Disney+ rather than big boy Marvel but we'll see.
You'll get your big boy movie Marvel moment when this new team shows up at New Asgard.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That was actually pretty good. After years of trailers I had the feeling I had seen everything but the movie was very entertaining. The fact that this isn't the comic book Taskmaster is annoying….however I liked what they did here with her. All the fight scenes with her were good and it was fun to spot all the Avengers moves. The cast was great, I loved Yelena and David Harbor was really funny. The opening scene was REALLY great.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I'm starting to think I'm not going to be interested in Phase 4 until they do the big team up movie, because I found Falcon and The Winter Soldier and now this to be incredibly boring.

The action scene in the jail, for example, was a wet fart if a set piece with zero stakes, poor editing, and lacklustre movement, and without interesting action or sci-fi these movies just fall flat. The story and dialogue are always too afraid to get too dark if serious, and the humour is starting to wear thin.

They need to start letting some interesting director's handling some of these films because the formula is getting stale.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it this morning with my Dad at home on D+, reminded me why I like seeing these things in theaters without interruptions. Watching it again now and this opening credits easily has to be the best ones I've seen in a movie.

Movie was a little disappointing in some ways, but I had super high expectations. I think Taskmaster was a partial letdown, but still cool in its own right.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I didn't like it, honestly. Black Widow is clearly a low tier Marvel movie and watching it now with the state of the MCU feels weird. If this came out so much closer to Civil War, maybe just maybe, I would like it more but the plot was so weak to me. From the motivations of the main Russian villain guy (and that stupid pheromones bullshit) to the terrible use of Taskmaster, it just didn't do much for me. Hell, the star of the movie was Yelena. She carried every scene she was in and it's clear that she's likely gonna become a fan favorite as we get to know more about her as a character and see whatever journey Marvel decides to put her on throughout the course of the MCU. Even in the scenes with David Harbour (who was clearly having fun with his role), I didn't laugh even if those scenes were clearly supposed to be for comedic relief either. Unfortunately, Black Widow wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I had my expectations lowered a bit by the reviews and some fan reactions, so I quite enjoyed it. It isn't as good as most of phase 3, but it's a very enjoyable movie nonetheless. I liked more than I disliked, so if I'm talking more about negative things, it's only because these are things that would've made the movie something really special.

Florence Pugh rules, and I actually think has potentially to be a more interesting character than Natasha (and I love Natasha). They just need to find her a crew for her to interact with. Nat and Hawkeye were obviously a special relationship, but my favorite friendship in the entire MCU is Natasha and Steve. I love that they are the Avengers that are most disparate from each other in terms of morals, beliefs, and personality, and yet they became best friends. I also liked a male-female friendship in a big action movie that was platonic. I'd like to see Yelena get some bonds like that to really flesh out her character and give her some fun dynamics.

David Harbor was so good. He didn't work too well for me in the trailers, but in the full movie, I found him completely lovable and I can't wait to see more of him.

The post credit scene has me hyped for not only Hawkeye, but whatever Valentina is building with Yelena and US Agent.

The opening ten minutes were fantastic. I wish we got to explore more moments in Natasha's life. This is her big farewell movie, so I wish we got to see more. After years of build up, the Budapest scene felt so rushed. It was cool hearing Clint's voice, but why not show them planning a little bit?

Going off of that, heading Feige say the reason there's no cameos is because they wanted to prove Natasha can stand on her own without any of "the boys" rings hollow because obviously she can? Part of the fun of the MCU is how interconnected everything is, so having Hawkeye show up, or even that Downey Jr cameo that was talked about using unused footage from Civil War would've made this movie feel even "bigger" if that makes sense.

My only other real complaint is the jump cuts during the action scene. Marvel has gotten better about those in recent years. All the Russo Bros. movies have great fight scenes, Falcon and Winter Soldier had some quality ones. I wish Black Widow's were a bit less jumpy, because the choreography was great

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I actually loved it. It had solid acts all around. The only part I didnt like was the weird pheromone "shield" thing. That felt like it came out of nowhere. Also, is that meant to explain how he didnt get killed in the explosion?

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I dunno, thought it was ok. Nothing special just a kinda solid action movie. I get keeping the films focus on Nat as the big hero and finally being able to save people instead of killing them but I was pretty disappointed with how the Red Guardian was used. I really just wanted one solid Captain Dadbod fight where he is just kind of a meaty tank with no finesse, even if he got his ass kicked.

Also on the helicarrier/station the action scenes felt like they grabbed some video game designers to lay out the scenes, I kept laughing at all the explosions happening directly behind everyone. Also I felt awful that one pig, they let that drag on too long.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Not a knock on this movie, but I think it's time the MCU put a hold on mind-control plots.

Loki's scepter
Winter Soldier's conditioning
New Widows' being controlled
That one guy in Agent Carter
Westview population

Honestly, when she took 2 vials at the end before the taskmaster fight, I thought the mid credit scene would be her bringing one to Wakanda for winter soldier.
And I might be forgetting something

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Bad and dumb with awful effects but fun nonetheless. I would never think about the mammoth-sized plot holes and why they exist because too much of the movie makes no sense when you do, so it's just big dumb fun!

Anyway, most importantly I desire a sequel, where Florence Pugh as Yelena fights Olga Kurlyenko as sarcastic, laidback Taskmaster and the great conceit is that both are compromised former soldiers trying to establish what a personal set of ethics looks like. I know nothing about the original comics but this plot & themes sounds like it could make all you comic book nerds happy re:Taskmaster (I'm not a comic nerd but nerd in other ways so I mean no disrespect to your thing) while also making for an interesting/fun story, though I absolutely do not trust the cinematographers & editors Marvel has on payroll to make the fight scenes look good.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when folks were so sure and hyping up the fact that O-T Fagbenle was playing Taskmaster...
mHM3DMk.gif

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Bad and dumb with awful effects but fun nonetheless. I would never think about the mammoth-sized plot holes and why they exist because too much of the movie makes no sense when you do, so it's just big dumb fun!

Anyway, most importantly I desire a sequel, where Florence Pugh as Yelena fights Olga Kurlyenko as sarcastic, laidback Taskmaster and the great conceit is that both are compromised former soldiers trying to establish what a personal set of ethics looks like. I know nothing about the original comics but this plot & themes sounds like it could make all you comic book nerds happy re:Taskmaster (I'm not a comic nerd but nerd in other ways so I mean no disrespect to your thing) while also making for an interesting/fun story, though I absolutely do not trust the cinematographers & editors Marvel has on payroll to make the fight scenes look good.

Taskmaster is 1 episode of Critical Role away from being Comic Book Tasky.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Prediction: The opening of Hawkeye will be Clint at his farm but Yelena comes after him, leading to him having to escape to end up in NYC (Where he appears to be in Hawkeye set photos), which is how they explain him not sticking with his family.
That seems like a pretty good way to get him living on his own despite his family being back, him leaving his family to keep them safe.

The set up for Yelena tracking down Hawkeye is not only cool for the potential action scenes, since we never got the Clint vs Nat showdown, but could be some good character moments when both finally clear up the confusion. I can't believe people think this is a bad set up just because it comes down to a misunderstanding.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Black Widow got her absolute fucking bad ass moments.

I feel the opposite, most of the badass moments went to Yelena in this movie.

Natasha got beat up and kicked off the bridge in the first Taskmaster fight. She visits Yelena who got the better of her in the hand-to-hand combat from what I remember. Then they escape and Yelena successfully jumps to the other building but Natasha falls like five stories to the ground. Then there's the car chase where Natasha drives while Yelena is the one doing all the badass things (hijacking car in the first place, doing the reverse maneuver, kicking off the car doors into the bikers).

The prison break sequence where Black Widow jumps out of the helicopter was kinda badass I guess, but I couldn't take it seriously cause of the pose landing thing that they drew attention to lol. It was Yelena who was flying the copter and holding the tablet of the prison layout, it was Yelena that blew up the guard tower with the rocket launcher and had the cool line ("this would be a cool way to die") etc..

And then for the final act in the Red Room, Dreykov escapes from Natasha and orders the widows to kill her, she gets beat up and overpowered until Yelena comes to her rescue with the red gas grenade thing (freeing all the widows from mind control in the process). Then Yelena is the one to finish off Dreykov too which Natasha failed to do years earlier. Natasha does save her with the parachute which was cool, and then there's the final Taskmaster fight which was so brief (like 15-20 seconds?) that it's barely even worth mentioning.

This stuff didn't really bother me cause Natasha never felt weak or anything, she could easily hold her own. But she was definitely upstaged by her "family" members (especially Yelena) throughout pretty much the entire movie IMO. They could've given her some cooler stuff to do in what might be her final MCU appearance.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With Val sending Yelena after Clint it makes me wonder about Endgame when they assigned the teams to go retrieve the stones. What went into picking Nat and Clint to go to Vormir? Nebula new the consequences of getting the stone from there and may have told Stark on there ship ride back to Earth so what I want to know is did Nat and Clint volunteered to go there themselves or did Nebula or Stark assign them there. If it's the latter then I would interested in seeing how a Yelena/Nebula confrontation would look. Now if I missed something and is way off base then let me know but otherwise my mind is wondering in that direction and actually has been for a while now.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Great movie. Enjoyed it more than I thought. Packed theater too tonight.
Everyone stay through the whole credits.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
With Val sending Yelena after Clint it makes me wonder about Endgame when they assigned the teams to go retrieve the stones. What went into picking Nat and Clint to go to Vormir? Nebula new the consequences of getting the stone from there and may have told Stark on there ship ride back to Earth so what I want to know is did Nat and Clint volunteered to go there themselves or did Nebula or Stark assign them there. If it's the latter then I would interested in seeing how a Yelena/Nebula confrontation would look. Now if I missed something and is way off base then let me know but otherwise my mind is wondering in that direction and actually has been for a while now.
Nebula didn't know the consequences of getting the Soul Stone.

She just knew that Thanos killed Gamora.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The only things I dislike about the movie were how the accents seem mandatory yet they also drop them whenever they need to, so what's even the point.

I'm also not sold on Valentina, she's coasting solely on JLD's star power, her character is nonsensical and annoying right now, and I want to see Pugh interacting with the established MCU cast, not US Agent who was the weakest part of F&TWS.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I thought it sucked, to be quite honest.

I didn't even feel like I was watching a coherent movie with a plot. It was just segmented action scene after action scene, none of which were really anything that good due to awful editing and being just uninspired in general. Feels like I've seen similar stuff in dozens of other action films.

I'm glad they are focusing more on the Disney+ show format now. I much prefer their output on there over whatever this was.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I feel the opposite, most of the badass moments went to Yelena in this movie.

Natasha got beat up and kicked off the bridge in the first Taskmaster fight. She visits Yelena who got the better of her in the hand-to-hand combat from what I remember. Then they escape and Yelena successfully jumps to the other building but Natasha falls like five stories to the ground. Then there's the car chase where Natasha drives while Yelena is the one doing all the badass things (hijacking car in the first place, doing the reverse maneuver, kicking off the car doors into the bikers).

The prison break sequence where Black Widow jumps out of the helicopter was kinda badass I guess, but I couldn't take it seriously cause of the pose landing thing that they drew attention to lol. It was Yelena who was flying the copter and holding the tablet of the prison layout, it was Yelena that blew up the guard tower with the rocket launcher and had the cool line ("this would be a cool way to die") etc..

And then for the final act in the Red Room, Dreykov escapes from Natasha and orders the widows to kill her, she gets beat up and overpowered until Yelena comes to her rescue with the red gas grenade thing (freeing all the widows from mind control in the process). Then Yelena is the one to finish off Dreykov too which Natasha failed to do years earlier. Natasha does save her with the parachute which was cool, and then there's the final Taskmaster fight which was so brief (like 15-20 seconds?) that it's barely even worth mentioning.

This stuff didn't really bother me cause Natasha never felt weak or anything, she could easily hold her own. But she was definitely upstaged by her "family" members (especially Yelena) throughout pretty much the entire movie IMO. They could've given her some cooler stuff to do in what might be her final MCU appearance.

Disagree, I think the movie really show how resourceful qnd capable Nat is.

Natasha got ambushed in the first taskmaster fight but manage to escape while taking the vial which is Taskmaster objective.

Imo Nat won the fight with Yelena, both are choking each other at the end, Nat is the first to propose a truce and let go and you can see Yelena taking deep breath after that while Nat is more fine

Don't know whether Nat falling from the pillar is intentional or not, but she manage to land on her two feet and not really hurt

Nat is the one manage to escape from Taskmaster when she intentionally told Yelena to leave the blood trail to sewer while they hide in the airvent

Yelena shooting that rocket during prison escape leading to avalanche is a knock against her imo, she's more reckless.

Nat is totally in control during the entire Dreykov scene. Pretending to be weak and goading Dreykov to spill his plan etc, classic Black Widow move.

And Nat destroy Taskmaster in the final fight

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I really really liked it. It was hilarious, the dry humor between the family members was perfect for me, and the story and action were great too. I honestly haven't laughed that much at a marvel movie in a long time.

Edit: When the car crashed at the end of that one chase scene I did quip "Good thing they are only human!" Those girls took Netflix Daredevil levels of damage.

Last edited:

ninjamonkey26

Oct 30, 2017
How did this highly trained, death-defying superhero with seemingly endless resources and indomitable will evade capture from bumbling federal agents? What a mystery this is.
Instantly forgetable, mish-mash of action and poor humor. Actors shouldn't be producers of their movies... You can clearly see that the direction is all over the place.

We got a funny and light MCU movie about killers, mind-control and world domination, where chracters flip flop from being funny to saving the world. The joke lines of both sisters were insanely out of place, like some surreal parody of spy/assassin movies.

A funny MCU movie has proven to work, where heroes get themselves in situations against funny villains. Third thor or Guardians, a Black Widow movie just doesn't work... The story is far too serious, the hero has no powers and relies in absolute nonsense to win the situations, we have once again an army of ex-army men robots aliens evil spies.

Villain is the classic MCU. A fat nobody, introduced and elevated to the status of world-dominator, who huffs and puffs only to end up being foiled in a CG explosion cumshot... The entire Red Room plan and base are something from Austim Powers.

Still better than WW84.

Not to mention MCU finally confirms she's enhanced, the opening ten minutes confirmed that the Red Room pumped them up with some version of the serum.

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Fun movie, definitely better than I expected. First movie in theatres since Sonic. Shame about Taskmaster, though.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Honestly, I think we have a decent chance of getting more Taskmaster in the future. There are all these ex-Widows with Red Room training without any organization controlling or protecting them; it would make sense for Antonia to open the Taskmaster Institute as a way to generate funds, employee ex-Widows, keep her comrades safe. Hell, you could even have her come into conflict with heroes due to her taking contracting jobs from other villains for funding or simply to publicize her business.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Thought it was one of the better films of the MCU for an origins story. Florence Pugh was perfectly cast for this film and the banter between the sisters was great. A few reshoots for the third act was needed though - didn't stick the landing on that. Nevertheless, a solid 8/10 from me - hoping we get to see more of Florence Pugh and Rachel Weiz in upcoming Marvel films.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
It was okay. Some decent action scenes, but also some ropey green screen. Usual phoned in ScarJo performance.

Best bit was Pugh. Looking forward to more of her in the MCU.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Just finished it.

Probably one of my favorite MCU movies.

I'm a sucker for some good character work, and being so used to the MCU developing characters and relationships across multiple films, it was nice getting all that character development in one movie. Halfway through I completely bought into the fake "family dynamic."

The big ending set piece was classic MCU, which for me means I could have largely done without it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I liked Yelena, Red Guardian, and the dysfunctional family stuff.

I really didn't like what they did to Taskmaster. Weapon XI all over again.

The ending left a sour taste in my mouth, too. Just scads of poorly-composited CG nonsense.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
literally everyone I know IRL who watched this absolutely hated this movie, and said it is the worst MCU movie of all time. Idk, the more I think about it the more I like it. I cant wait to see more of Yelena. The whole family was great, I would like to see them all again.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just came back from seeing it. I love how they shoot for the moon with this. It's more modern Mission Impossible than Winter Soldier/Civil War.

Edit: The sad Nirvana cover during the opening sequence was unforgivably bad though.
My sister loved it. When we got out that was the first thing she praised. I thought it was fittingly eerie and really adds to the disturbing child brainwashing and politics footage. Era gonna Era am I right?

While this is a great standalone, I found the timeline confusing. Yes I get this is after Civil War and before Infinity War but who was Nat going to break out? I thought Cap broke out Clint, Sam, and Wanda in CW and then ran along with Cap in IW? Can someone please clarify this?

Man, that whole scene with Nat and the Russian big bad seemed like a big "EFF YOU" to incels and misogynists and I LOVED that.

That post credit scene, man, funny thing I completely FORGOT reading that story that Val was going to appear here first and then LATER in FatWS but Covid switched it around so her appearance was a surprise. And I;m just thinking, "Val, you BITCH, how dare you."

Task was a bit disappointing simply because it was a completely different take, but I thought the whole idea of making her this cold ruthless Terminator was pretty cool.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Action was obviously a step up from the most recent MCU shows so that was nice to see. I felt the pacing was a little off and dragged a bit in the middle to get the "family" therapy season in which I understood but I didn't really have a connection to it. Florence Pugh and David harbour were definitely the stand outs and Scarlett was well... Scarlett. The heavy and taskmaster was more generic marvel "bad guy" nonsense but it served it's purpose without feeling totally useless narratively, just not really exciting.

Solid MCU movie overall. C+ for me.

Now are we assuming the ending is connecting to the Hawkeye show? Kind of took me by surprise that this movie ended with any kind of connection to the US Agent or Val. I really don't care for those 2 but I guess we'll see.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Second viewing, I really still cannot believe they straight up pulled an X-Men Origins: Wolverine with Taskmaster. I genuinely don't think the MCU has flubbed a villain this bad since Phase One.

Talonluck

Oct 27, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I liked it. Family was awesome and great chemistry between sisters. Want more of Florence, she was so good.

They could have explained the timeline better. Very confusing. Taskmaster was an epic waste. No reason to use an iconic character as such a garbage throwaway. That super off end where Ross pulls up and suddenly Natasha is free or something. Weird.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it sucked, to be quite honest.

I didn't even feel like I was watching a coherent movie with a plot. It was just segmented action scene after action scene, none of which were really anything that good due to awful editing and being just uninspired in general. Feels like I've seen similar stuff in dozens of other action films.

I'm glad they are focusing more on the Disney+ show format now. I much prefer their output on there over whatever this was.

Was about to post exactly this. Cannot agree more.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Post credits makes me think they're going for Dark Avengers rather than Thunderbolts.

Dark Avengers Vs Young Avengers maybe?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I can't get over how bad that Taskmaster was. In-universe, where did her costume design language even come from? Why orange and blue?

It's funny that, although he didn't end up being Taskmaster, O-T Fagbenle's character actually ended up being closer to Taskmaster than the generic mute monster we got.

Please put a chip in O-T's neck, Marvel. Put a chip in his neck.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it, reminded me a lot of the Cap movies honestly. If they had released this before Endgame her sacrifice might have had more impact for me. If Florence is the new Widow then they honestly couldn't have made a better choice, I hope she gets her own sequel movie (or series). Red Guardian was definitely a highlight as well.

Taskmaster's portrayal was pretty weird (honestly so tired of stoic villains)but maybe if this was an origin movie for her powers I can kind of understand it. Anyone who follows her career more closely, does Olga Kurylenko have the range to do a more comic accurate portrayal of Taskmaster's personality if they decide to bring her back?