• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Couldn't agree more. Does any other hero have an alternate costume that is as ubiquitous and awesome as Spidey's blacksuit?
While the black suit is probably THE standard, a few heroes have some fan-favorite outfits that often are cycled back into their comics.

Wolverine's Tan outfit is a major fan favorite and what they're using currently, in fact.
WOLVERINE_2_DX__54249.1578027740.451.416.jpg

But outside of those two, nobody else really has "the alternate" costume that continues to be pulled out for modern stories that I can immediately think of. Maybe Storm's Mohawk look, I guess.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The X-Force suits are also pretty great variant suits, to the point that Warren now wears it as his primary Archangel suit.

STL137690

White Phoenix of the Crown is a good one, too:

Jean_Grey_-_White_Phoenix.png

And a great callback to Dave Cockrum's original design that was rejected due to cheap paper:
9e532ba932806830984b43589cd276e8.jpg

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
While the black suit is probably THE standard, a few heroes have some fan-favorite outfits that often are cycled back into their comics.

Wolverine's Tan outfit is a major fan favorite and what they're using currently, in fact.

But outside of those two, nobody else really has "the alternate" costume that continues to be pulled out for modern stories that I can immediately think of. Maybe Storm's Mohawk look, I guess.
To think we've never seen this in any movies

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's iconic, but Spidervese Miles still is the best for me.
1544286317590-1.jpeg

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I like how the Spectacular Spider-Man made the black suit look like the movie version at first (I think it looked good in the show):
the_spectacular_spider_man_black_suit_v1_by_sonimbleinim_dcbluj3-fullview.jpg

but made it look more the classic as the symbiote gained more influence:
latest

Another reason why the show was a masterpiece.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%

here's another one, a personal fav
I think the white is pretty perfectly balanced, and the red hair gives the overall look a splash of color that really pops off the page.

... Though her hair color often changes from red to blonde and that always throws me for a loop.
julia-carpenter-d239179e-87f2-4912-94a7-a124a43c0da-resize-750.jpeg

ddeue34-16ade03a-7a0f-49a4-a71e-28b4b314992b.png

Also, am I the first to post the best Spider-man revamp costume?
kbm93ezn7zl11.png
you are, and you made a friend today
My people...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of my top five favorites incl. his regular suit, Scarlet, Scarlet 2, and Superior 2.
Superior.png

Scarlet.png

RIP.

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Couldn't agree more. Does any other hero have an alternate costume that is as ubiquitous and awesome as Spidey's blacksuit?
Superman's Black Suit aka the Solar Suit maybe?

Otherwise I'd say maybe Wolverine's various costumes or Jean Grey's Phoenix outfits.
main-qimg-e4c8cad252b966738135c6b12e7a729f-c

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

I would say Wolverine's Brown suit, if that counts. Hell, most of the 90s X-Men Lee redesigns.
Superman's Black Suit aka the Solar Suit maybe?

The Kingdom Come symbol is probably a higher on the totem pole than the black suit, and even then Superman's black suit has nowhere near the same amount of cultural relevance of Spidey's.

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I would say Wolverine's Brown suit, if that counts. Hell, most of the 90s X-Men Lee redesigns.

The Kingdom Come symbol is probably a higher on the totem pole than the black suit, and even then Superman's black suit has nowhere near the same amount of cultural relevance of Spidey's.
Eh his black suit showed up in one of the highest profile comic book stories of all time. It's shown up in tons of non comic book media aside from film so I don't know if I can agree. Is it on the same level of universal love as the Symbiote Suit? No, but it's definitely one of the most well liked "alternate" costumes out there.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Really is a great, simple outfit. Gotta be one of the best alternatives.

I also have to chime in that the Future Foundation suits were badass. Reading Hickman's FF, I was taken aback by how much I liked the design. They made the whole FF crew look awesome.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love the suit's association with Kraven. His obsession with it is creepy
This is very true and I agree. Then again my first owned and remembered and kept as the first comic I consciously collected was the issue where Peter digs himself out of the grave. Made quite the impression on me and solidified my love for Spider-Man, comics as a medium, and yes after Venom, Kraven is the next closest character to Spidey I think of when the black suit is brought up.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
This is very true and I agree. Then again my first owned and remembered and kept as the first comic I consciously collected was the issue where Peter digs himself out of the grave. Made quite the impression on me and solidified my love for Spider-Man, comics as a medium, and yes after Venom, Kraven is the next closest character to Spidey I think of when the black suit is brought up.
In every major fight, Kraven always forces Peter to wear it. Hell, he was the og Superior Spider-Man

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's one the few "new costume!" gimmicks that actually had staying power. Very rare for a character to have two costume designs that are real classics.

(Not to be a pedant, but I don't consider Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, Batman Beyond, Spider-Man 2099, etc. to be comparable things. They're all good, but they're different characters, not new/alternate costumes for an existing classic character.)

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In every major fight, Kraven always forces Peter to wear it. Hell, he was the og Superior Spider-Man
Yeah, I have Marvel Unlimited and he does it again in the recent Hunted storyline by Spencer (which I also felt kind of paid major tribute to Last Hunt and implying Kraven staying dead would of and should have been a bold powerful move).

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I just learned Wolverine had a tan suit just now...