• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Far Cry 2 For its grounded reality
Crysis 3 Especially for its Hunter MP
Battlefield V once all the bugs/balance issues were ironed out. Then it went and shit the bed with the cheating problem so I went back to BF4 being best
Call of Duty : Infinite Warfare
Medal of Honor: European Assault
Virtua Fighter 3
Crazy Taxi 3
Dead Rising 3 : (I haven't played 4 and probably won't)
Grand Theft Auto 4

I heard theres a ton of hate for Crysis 2/3 and Tekken 4.

I personally loved Crysis 3.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with Final Fantasy VIII being considered a black sheep game in the series so I would say Final Fantasy X-2.

It nailed the soundtrack, battle system and character development for the main party. Yuna taking lead was a great choice and gave us the growth she deserved after being limited to a specific role in X.

I know the game has flaws and there is some questionable shit in it(Spa scene, incest from brother and Lulus pregnancy) but most of X-2 is a great game and it never deserved the disdain it received and continues to receive. Plus the game gave me sailor moon dress up and pop vibes.

Another series where a game I felt was the black sheep is Apollo Justice from Ace Attorney series. I loved the idea of moving to a new lead with Phoenix guiding. The music was also great.

FFX-2. Simply because Yuna's growth as a person in X-2 blows Yuna in X out of the water and I'll always die on that hill. I don't consider it to be the best game in the series (story wise, X is obviously a better crafted and well told story) but it is my favorite. There is a lot to criticize the game for: there's sexualization, faux feminism, the director of the game is a known creep which seeps into the game itself (ex. things like the massage Leblanc mini-game), and I could probably write an essay on how despite being a 'female-led' game, woman don't hold any real, political power in Spira (all the major factions in X-2 are led by men even though in one of them, a woman is doing the real work and should be the leader but I digress). It also rubs me the wrong way how after Yuna has her little 'adventure' in X-2, SE was quick to revert her back to how she was in X for FFX-2.5 - both personality wise, career wise, and even design wise despite it not making sense for the character to do so. They basically went back on her own growth, a girl growing into an outspoken woman, and it was kind of insulting for them to do. Anyway, the point here is that most criticisms towards the game don't address any of that and tend to be very shallow and surface-level instead. In my 10+ years of being in online video game spaces dominated by men, any discussion on this game usually boils down to men either not liking that Yuna's not a quiet, shy waifu anymore like in X or men thinking they're being progressive by shitting on it when it's not helpful at all.

A lot of the things that people put X-2 down exist in pretty much every FF game too yet it gets more flack for it because it's branded in a more 'girlier' package which is harmful but people aren't ready for that conversation. Outside of Yuna's development, it was also really cool to revisit a world that was going through a major change and seeing how people adjusted to that. I thought it did a pretty good job of tackling how not everyone, especially older people, would be willing to let go of the past - even when knowing that it was all a lie - while younger people would be a lot more open to radical changes which would create a divide. The music (Yes, even the 'Jpop' people crap on) is good, Eternity ~ Memory of Lightwaves ~ is probably one of the best tracks in the entire series, and while the story is serviceable (I blame Toriyama for its faults and the lack of focus on things that should actually matter), there are some legitimate great moments in it too: Yuna meeting Shuyin and Yuna telling Nooj his plan sucks for instance.The dressphere system is great, the combat is snappy and fun, YRP have great chemistry with each other. So yeah. Probably a deeper answer than expected for this thread but I rarely going into my feelings about this game. It's a fun time.

Stan FFX-2. Stan Yuna.

YASSSSSSS

Drago

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely think NSMB Wii is one of the best 2d Marios ever made and certainly my favorite nsmb title, though I still need to replay 2 and Luigi U again. Not my favorite I guess so maybe it doesn't count but wanted to give it a shout. Can't think of a single dud level in the game outside of maybe 1 or 2

Similarly not my fav in the series but a game I adore nonetheless, Banjo N&B is phenomenal and I think is the only "creative" type of game that completely enamored me, the vehicle creation was and still is a load of fun and has so many possibilities. Very glad this game exists

Donkey Kong Country Returns, not sure it counts as a black sheep but it feels all but forgotten these days which sucks because its maybe my favorite 2d platformer of all time, even if TF is fucking amazing too. It's just so fuckin tight and paced absolutely perfectly

Pikmin 2 is the only dungeon crawler I've ever loved. Is this one a black sheep? Idk, definitely feels like 1 and 3 are more beloved to me at least and I love em too. But P2 was able to tap into some black magic

Kingdom Hearts DDD has some of my favorite worlds in the series both design wise and with choice of Disney movies, I loved flowmotion, I just had a real blast going through the worlds. Also not my favorite in the series but I def think i like it more than most seem to. Re:CoM is another KH game I dig a lot - messing with the card system was satisfying to me, had lots of fun stringing together decks and combos, it does start to wear out its welcome by the end but still had a fun time.

Super paper mario... Idk if its my favorite one (I adore 64 too) but it's a very special game to me that captures this off kilter vibe that almost no other game has, it's a game I think about often

Game & Wario was pretty weak single player wise but multiplayer wise, its my favorite in the series and what brings me back to turning on the wii u more than anything else

Jak 2 fucking rocks. Bring back 2000s edge

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
In many ways it is. The online requirement kills it for me though, I just want a cozy single-player experience that doesn't require me to periodically download massive updates so that I can continue connecting to their servers in order to save.

I adore this game, but I agree wholeheartedly -- this was a straight up dumb decision.

Sora64

Mar 22, 2020
Call of Duty: WWII, Final Fantasy XIII, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 007: Agent Under Fire, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and not sure what else comes to mind but I bet there's more.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo Reach. Best campaign and multiplayer in the franchise. I got chills running down my spine when Jorge throws you out of the covenant spaceship. Going on running riots in the Falcon on Spire, camping with the shotgun in the infamous swordbase and fighting in low gravity on zealot is some of the most fun I had in Halo multiplayer. The gunplay didn't feel like ass like it did in Halo 3. The movement wasn't floaty and the armor abilities added a lot of fun. It's not the most balanced or competitive Halo game but it was a ton of fun.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe so many of you think Dark Souls 2 is the best of the series. Both 1 and 3 are far superior games not to mention bloodborne if that counts.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
...ahem. Dragon Age 2.

a56b1e6e505db194d7f8c905a829bd1bf3554aea_00.gif

I also go back and forth whether FFVII or FFXII is my favorite FF - FFXII would count, lol. I also really love Silent Hill 4.

Dragon Age 2.

don't @ me.

Dragon Age 2. The time constraints really let them tell a focused, less-filtered story. It doesn't always work, and there's a lot about the game to criticize, but I thought it was the purest effort and the best result from the DA writers just doing their own thing (Origins tries too hard to be old-school and generic "epic" fantasy, and Inquisition is all over the place thanks to switching to an engine that had no tools to even make a game with).

Dragon Age 2 was my favorite as well. It has been a while since I played it but IIRC my thoughts were that it just suffers from environments feeling kind of repetitive and the game just abruptly stopping when it feels like it's just really getting going.

I really fucking love DAII lol. Not in the "I think it's flawless" way, because it's obviously very flawed, but because what it does do right, it does so well. The way that game plays with the notion of the passage of time, and what it means to live in one city and grow and change alongside it and its people, really helps Kirkwall to develop a sense of place that it wouldn't otherwise have. The next best thing for me from BioWare is ME1, which also had incredible world building, but in a different and more expansive way. I do like that, but the personal nature of DAII's scale resonates with me more.

tumblr_inline_mi4k3idvET1qz4rgp.gif

I have found my people!

FFX-2. Simply because Yuna's growth as a person in X-2 blows Yuna in X out of the water and I'll always die on that hill. I don't consider it to be the best game in the series (story wise, X is obviously a better crafted and well told story) but it is my favorite. There is a lot to criticize the game for: there's sexualization, faux feminism, the director of the game is a known creep which seeps into the game itself (ex. things like the massage Leblanc mini-game), and I could probably write an essay on how despite being a 'female-led' game, woman don't hold any real, political power in Spira (all the major factions in X-2 are led by men even though in one of them, a woman is doing the real work and should be the leader but I digress). It also rubs me the wrong way how after Yuna has her little 'adventure' in X-2, SE was quick to revert her back to how she was in X for FFX-2.5 - both personality wise, career wise, and even design wise despite it not making sense for the character to do so. They basically went back on her own growth, a girl growing into an outspoken woman, and it was kind of insulting for them to do. Anyway, the point here is that most criticisms towards the game don't address any of that and tend to be very shallow and surface-level instead. In my 10+ years of being in online video game spaces dominated by men, any discussion on this game usually boils down to men either not liking that Yuna's not a quiet, shy waifu anymore like in X or men thinking they're being progressive by shitting on it when it's not helpful at all.

A lot of the things that people put X-2 down for exist in pretty much every FF game too yet it gets more flack for it because it's branded in a more 'girlier' package which is harmful but people aren't ready for that conversation. Outside of Yuna's development, it was also really cool to revisit a world that was going through a major change and seeing how people adjusted to that. I thought it did a pretty good job of tackling how not everyone, especially older people, would be willing to let go of the past - even when knowing that it was all a lie - while younger people would be a lot more open to radical changes which would create a divide. The music (Yes, even the 'Jpop' people crap on) is good, Eternity ~ Memory of Lightwaves ~ is probably one of the best tracks in the entire series, and while the story is serviceable (I blame Toriyama for its faults and the lack of focus on things that should actually matter), there are some legitimate great moments in it too: Yuna meeting Shuyin and Yuna telling Nooj his plan sucks for instance.The dressphere system is great, the combat is snappy and fun, YRP have great chemistry with each other. So yeah. Probably a deeper answer than expected for this thread but I rarely going into my feelings about this game. It's a fun time.

Stan FFX-2. Stan Yuna.

s1WgyjZ.gif

Yes to infinity, especially the bolded. Whilst FFX-2 isn't my number one favorite FF, you 100% captured what I really, really love and appreciate about it, even more so after all these years. Yuna having to find who she was as a person when she was no longer defined as a summoner was amazing, it was so great having three female characters as your playable party, and the game's story exploring the fallout of a major event and how people react to their new world was fascinating. Zanarkand being turned into a tourist attraction was... wow. FFX-2's soundtrack was incredible, as was the gameplay. Stan FFX-2 and Yuna indeed!

Oct 27, 2017
To this day no soulsborne has managed to match the impressive build variety and excellent online features of Dark Souls 2. While I ultimately have to give Bloodborne the nod as my favorite of the bunch, by the time the DS2 devs got their feet under them for the DLC they had what is still some of my favorite Souls gameplay out there.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
634155_front.jpg

Not sure I'd go so far as to say it's the best in the series (trying to be objective), but after playing almost everything else in the franchise, it's my personal favorite.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
634155_front.jpg

Not sure I'd go so far as to say it's the best in the series (trying to be objective), but after playing almost everything else in the franchise, it's my personal favorite.
Ohh this is a great one, granted I haven't played it but you made me think about how much I love Prime 3 and think it's easily better than Prime 1/2.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Put me in the DmC pile.

Also depending on my mood Code Veronica is my favourite, although I wouldn't say it is the "best".

Uncharted 3 is another one, I like it way more than 4.

Also lastly, if it counts, WoW Cataclysm was easily one of my favourite eras of the game during launch period.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Origins is the best game in that series when it comes to making you feel like you're playing an every-day adventure as Batman

Dragon Age 2 has some pretty bad gameplay but its story and characters are extremely good and were pretty formative for me. If they turned it into a visual novel or adventure game it'd be one of the best in its genre, honestly.

Spirit Tracks isn't the best Zelda at all but it's way better IMO than most people give it credit. Would be better without the mandatory mic stuff tho.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars Days of Ruin is the best game in the series. Dual Strike is garbage nuclear rocket tag with it's CO powers.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...Spirit Tracks isn't the best Zelda at all but it's way better IMO than most people give it credit. Would be better without the mandatory mic stuff tho.

And you just reminded me of Phantom Hourglass, also my personal favorite Zelda to date. I just love how it controls and its overall flow and design. And I know it's definitely one frowned upon by many fans.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Origins.

And among the very first Final Fantasy, the second one at least tries, plot-wise.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Shadowrun the FPS from 2007. This game is so good and is by far the best team based MP shooter I have played on console. Its teleport mechanic is still unmatched and most shooters are essentially designed similarly now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Dead Rising 4 for me.

I absolutely loved it and it was my favourite of the whole franchise.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Fallout 4. I loved the art style and colorful world (compared to previous entries) and I got really into the settlement building.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
511hZxe3J2L._SY445_.jpg

The game was waaaaay ahead of its time. Nowadays you can't move for block based vehicle builders but in the before-Minecraft times people just didn't seem to accept the idea yet.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people consider Final Fantasy VIII to be the black sheep ? Its easily my favourite in the franchise.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Mass Effect 1 and Far Cry 2. Both apparently, allegedly, superseded by subsequent sequels. Not to me. The real black sheep would be Andromeda and Primal to most people but I am ignoring them for reasons. I'll replay ME1 or Far Cry 2 any day over any of the others.