• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Clue is one of the best comedies to come out of the 1980s and one of my personal favourites despite getting a mixed to negative reaction back when it was released not to mention it was a box office bomb.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fire Emblem Fates is the best Fire Emblem game

Sonic Adventure 2 is the best Sonic game, Shadow and Secret Rings are both some of the better games in the franchise

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug I enjoyed more than Fellowship of the Ring (not Two Towers or RotK)

Yoshi's New Island is my favorite Yoshi game

Kilroy Was Here is my favorite Styx album

Bedtime for Democracy is my favorite Dead Kennedys album

I like the Green Album (Weezer)

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Limp Bizkit I can understand but who the FUCK has EVER counted Korn among the "bottom tier"? Especially their first few albums???
Absolutely about Korn. Their first 4 albums are the best, and most people usually agree with that. I just gotta say that I'm a huge Korn fan and really enjoy all their new albums, even the dubstep one, but the first 4 are their best ones.

As for Limp Bizkit, we'll people either love 3 Bill yall or Significant Other, not so many good comments about Chocolate Starfish, so talking specifically about Limp Bizkit it is weird to come about their first 2 albums under this context. Now talking about LB on general, I can understand given that there are many people who don't like them, and that is fine, to each it's own.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Don't let a vocal minority of haterz on the internet fool you, Dark Souls 2 doesn't fit this thread:

7HnkUWb.png

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember enjoying Live Free Die Hard very much.

It's better than 2 and whatever the last one tried to be.

Oct 29, 2017
Just remembered one.

The second Resident Evil film is the best in the series. It strikes the perfect balance of schlock, corny acting and kinetic action scenes the first film couldn't pull off because of budget and the following films couldn't hit because of an over reliance on CGI and set piece moments.
Mannnn idk. I like both 1&2 but one has a smart capable black leader while the other has mike epps making Cadillac jokes-_-

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Fire Emblem Fates is the best Fire Emblem game

Sonic Adventure 2 is the best Sonic game, Shadow and Secret Rings are both some of the better games in the franchise

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug I enjoyed more than Fellowship of the Ring (not Two Towers or RotK)

Yoshi's New Island is my favorite Yoshi game

Kilroy Was Here is my favorite Styx album

Bedtime for Democracy is my favorite Dead Kennedys album

I like the Green Album (Weezer)
Who ranks SA2 as bottom tier???

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I do agree it could have used another big song after Codex but at the same time I kind of really love how short it is, it's one of those albums I can just press play without thinking and have a good time. Has some of the most ear wormy moments of Radiohead's discography (Bloom, Ferel, Lotus Flower) since Everything In It's Right Place on Kid A.

I wonder what the band think of this album these days.

I've always wondered why Daily Mail wasn't on it. It fits perfectly. I kinda wonder if it wasn't written before the album was recorded.

Jul 24, 2020
I can't really remember Armageddon ... but I genuinely think Pearl Harbor is decent. Also Disney Renaissance (Hercules, Pocahontas, even Tarzan and Mulan) ... movies people seem to think are mediocre at best (maybe Mulan is getting its due) I think are better than most shit that comes out from Pixar, Dreamworks and modern Disney CG films. Legit.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Point 2 and 4 I will die on my sword for, though I think people generally consider Spy an excellent action comedy.
Do they? Consider me pleasantly surprised.

In a similar genre vein, both The Spy Who Dumped Me and Charlie's Angels(K.Stew version) are fun little flicks that are let down by less than stellar finales.

DOA: Dead or Alive is still the best videogame movie. And at this rate it seems like it always will be.

The Tall Man(2012) is pretty underseen and when seen it's usually met with derision but I think it is fantastic.

Chappie is Blomkamp's best film and Die Antwoord are great in it.

And to stretch the boundaries of this thread a bit: Jaume Collet-Serra(Orphan, Non-Stop, Run All Night, The Shallows, The Commuter) isn't exactly hated but he and his work are generally looked down upon when I think he is easily one of the best directors working today.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I've just watched the Wachowskis' Speed Racer movie and I had a blast. Probably helped that I've seen it right after groupwatching the original anime, but still.

I recently finished both of the newer Deus Ex games and I have to admit, I liked Mankind Divided more. I know it's not Invisible War reception-wise, but I think the majority opinion is that it's an inferior sequel to Human Revolution?

It's far from my favorite so not sure if that counts, but I honestly think Die Another Day isn't bad. It's a dumb fun kind of movie, but aside from the kitesurfing scene I'm all for it.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Birds of Prey(2020) is not only the best DCEU film, but would be at or near the top tier of the MCU as well.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
First thing in this thread that actually offended me.

For me, it's the movie Clifford, with Martin Short and Charles Grodin. A lot of people really hate this movie, but I think it's totally hilarious and never get tired of it. Something about the sheer absurd spectacle of an obviously 40-ish Martin Short acting like a demonic ten year old just strikes my funny bone in all the right ways, and Grodin's ticking time bomb character is the icing on the cake.

I also love Grey's Anatomy and will never apologize for it.

Aug 27, 2018
This is kinda like the Office vs Parks debate. You could argue Parks is better consistently but the Office just has superior highs in the first seasons, same with the Simpsons.
I have a second post in this thread that literally says The Simpsons has higher highs but is less consistent with it's quality...so you are correct.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Final Fantasy 13-2 is a great game. Maybe not top 5 FF but I'd place it somewhere in the top 10.

Bubble Boy is a GOOD movie. One of my many fav Jake Gyllenhaal films.

Lady Gaga's ARTPOP is a solid album and it has a few of my fav LG songs. Doesn't deserve to be considered her career lowpoint.

Nov 17, 2017
I tend to like the black sheep of series more than the fan favorites that came before them. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy XII, The Legend of Korra, Xenoblade Chronicles X... I think all of these are genuinely really good but they're just not accepted by loud fans for being different.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Star Ocean 3 is one of the better J-RPGs of the PS2 era and as good as Star Ocean 2.

Iron Man 3 is a great film and easily in my Top 10.

Farscape is better than Star Wars. It's not really low-rated, but Star Wars is a mediocre (film) franchise propped up by a single trilogy.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Who ranks SA2 as bottom tier???

A lot of people did back in the day, old school Sonic fans who pretty much universally disliked the 3D games aside from Colors/Generations when those came out (and even they were mostly seen as "good, not great" and worse than all of the Genesis games). Now it has a better reputation, probably as a function of people around our age (who are in their 20s now) and having grown up playing Adventure 2.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Hudson Hawk (5.8 on IMDB) is a fantastic movie

notsureifserious.gif
Absolutely!

-Lore implications done in an artfully subtle way
-One of my favorite tracks in the game, nails the feelings of "witch/chaos"
-Puzzle elements instead of "stack buffs, run in, beat on it"
-Love that twist
-Properly challenging, I don't get why people single this one thing out in a game famous for its difficulty and obscure secrets. Regarding the randomness of the branches and so forth, it's a creature of chaos, what were you expecting?

What more could one ask for in a boss fight

A crappy studio with no imagination would have just designed it as a group of sexy witches that burp fire at you. Thank god that's not what it was.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's bottom tier media, but a lot of people look down on Cougar Town while I really like it. Can get a bit sappy, it's not that deep, but it's such a feel good show and has such a fun cast of characters who have plenty of chemistry between each other that I find myself enjoying it a lot.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I tend to like the black sheep of series more than the fan favorites that came before them. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy XII, The Legend of Korra, Xenoblade Chronicles X... I think all of these are genuinely really good but they're just not accepted by loud fans for being different.

If Twilight Princess's first 1/3 was as good as the back 2/3 of the game, it would probably be my all time favorite Zelda.

Unfortunately that first 1/3 is a huge slog. But it's still a great game and I vastly prefer it to Wind Waker.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I wish we were friends IRL STT T_T
That's a good list of black sheep.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Posting in that perfect album thread got me listening to Radiohead again. In Rainbows / Kid A are considered technically perfect, but it also reminded me - I fucking love The King Of Limbs. Often placed in the bottom or right after Pablo Honey as their worst album by fans and critics, I'd personally place it first given my mood and at least near the top on any other day.

So era, what are those things the consensus places last but you personally consider the best?

Radiohead_-_The_Kings_of_Limbs.jpg

OP, you're absolutely right about TKoL, I too rank it quite high in their discography. And yeah, the "From the Basement" sessions of this album did a lot to change my perspective on it (especially Bloom, what a beast of a song).

About the topic:
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is massively underrated and it's much better than the first movie
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is one of this gen's best FPS', especially from a narrative standpoint
  • The Suspiria remake is one of the best films of the 2010's
  • Guy Ritchie's 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' was a baller spy movie and it needs to have a sequel made (even though it bombed)

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
hposter.jpg

Shamefully left out the big gun in my previous posts.

The Huntsman: Winter's War is a movie I like so much that it feels like I am from a different reality than this one where no cares for it at all. I find it superior to the vast majority of blockbusters of the day(I'm looking at you Marvel).
To quote myself from a previous thread:
"A sequel no one was asking for, seemingly only made for contractual reasons, with the shameless addition of an Ice Queen on top because, hey, Frozen was big, wasn't it? It is also a weird prequel-sequel to make it even less appealing.

And yet the film is great. A throwback to pre-LOTR style fantasy(but on a post-LOTR budget), where the story is simple and the characters streamlined, where the stakes might be big but they largely serve as the background for the characters to run through.
Much like its predecessor the film is unnaturally beautiful for its genre, with great costuming and art direction, wonderful use of natural settings and lighting, and just an all-around fantastic atmosphere, and that brings to question just why do so many other big budget action-spectacle films look so dang pedestrian?"
Likable actors, likable characters, good score, gorgeous visuals, and a smorgasbord of sexy people trying to kill other sexy people. It is great!

The film it is a sequel to, Snow White and The Huntsman, isn't nearly as good but is still a decent enough time and a worthwhile experience even if only for how wonderful it looks. I generally like Marvel's output but they will forever have my scorn for making it acceptable for these super expensive films to look like shit.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Spiderman 3. I didn't have any issues with it. I don't understand the hate it gets.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Spiderman 3. I didn't have any issues with it. I don't understand the hate it gets.
I love Spider-man 3 as well.

I find it has a couple of little issues(the inelegance of Venom teaming up with Sandman for instance) but only one real dud(the butler scene), certainly nothing to warrant the reputation it has. Especially when everything else is top tier, the action scenes alone are some of the best in the genre.

OP
OP

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
hposter.jpg

Shamefully left out the big gun in my previous posts.

The Huntsman: Winter's War is a movie I like so much that it feels like I am from a different reality than this one where no cares for it at all. I find it superior to the vast majority of blockbusters of the day(I'm looking at you Marvel).
To quote myself from a previous thread:

The film it is a sequel to, Snow White and The Huntsman, isn't nearly as good but is still a decent enough time and a worthwhile experience even if only for how wonderful it looks. I generally like Marvel's output but they will forever have my scorn for making it acceptable for these super expensive films to look like shit.

Those Huntsman movies are surprisingly entertaining and lushly art directed. I also raise the now forgotten about Mirror Mirror. Although not a perfect film, the set and costume design is phenomenal and worth watching for it alone. I watched it a second time in the cinemas just to experience the production again.