• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Paper Mario somehow has plenty of "black sheep" -- I like Super Paper Mario on the Wii -- which in hindsight wasn't as bad as the 3DS one

There are things about Other M that I like -- but yeah it sucks

Edit: Regarding consoles, I had a ton of fun with my Wii U

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Super Mario Bros 2

These were my first experiences with each franchise and I love all 3.

Oct 28, 2017
313219-dmc-devil-may-cry-definitive-edition-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg

Enjoyed it more than V to be quite honest.
The only DMC game I like.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Killzone 3. The action, tone, aesthetics, level variety, brutal kills, etc. made it way better than KZ2 and my fav FPS that gen. It was amazing.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The infamous NES sequels. Castlevania II and Zelda II. I loved both of those games. Zelda II is probably my most replayed Zelda game in fact.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Resident Evil: Outbreak. It's still enjoyable even today to go back through some of the single player levels, especially the first scenario in File #1. Just such a great time.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted 3
91BJ4oyPXeL._SX342_.jpg

It had its issue but its the one with the best Uncharted moments of franchise in my opinion + MP was stacked with content.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree with OP on Apollo Justice- this is my username for a reason lmao. Especially in regards to the vibe- it's got the best atmosphere in the whole series no doubt. Everything from the music to the color of the courtroom gives off such a mature, cool and fresh feeling that I just get lost in it every time. Such a cool goddamn game. And of course, even with its flaws, it's still got that Shu Takumi magic that's totally missing from the later games (other than DGS and PL vs AA of course).

CrunchSNACKER

Aug 5, 2018

This is the era I was looking for. 8 was enjoyable on its own. Ultima IX, I also enjoyed as its own thing.
King's Quest Mask of Eternity, also really fantastic. Some of my best memories are from these sheep.

Final Fantasy XII has lots of hate, no way. Its in my top 3.

Modern Games:
Halo 4
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
CYBERPUNK

Last edited:

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter is easily my favourite Capcom RPG.
I don't say this often about anything but Dragon Quarter is an underrated masterpiece. How many times in the last decade have I thought about getting a ps2 just to play this again?? It's a truly brilliant evolution of the JRPG with a fantastic mood, setting and characters and it looks and sounds INCREDIBLE.

Dragon Quarter just did everything right and it was completely ignored at the time. I would LOVE remaster of this game for switch

ooooh look what I found

www.rpgfan.com

To See The Sky: How Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter Dared to Be Different | RPGFan

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter isn't the "Dark Souls of JRPGs," though there are quite a few comparisons that can be made to From Software's recent works.

Last edited:

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I'll echo the people shouting out Ninja Theory's DmC - I think it's a fantastic game I liked it a lot more than the more recent DMC 5.

My choice - I LOVE AC: UNITY!
The more time that passes the more I love that game. It had a rocky launch but the more AC has changed over time, the more I appreciate the things that Unity did. To this day it's still my favorite implementation of "leveling up" in the series, has the best parkour, and the most detailed, dense city.

It also has a good amount of the traditional "Assasins Brotherhood" stuff that's sorely missing in all the games since then. I doubt they will but my dream for the AC series after Valhalla would be to revisit the stuff that made Unity great and dip into that well for the first game made from the ground up on PS5/XSX.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Metroid: Other M after the first couple hours. The less said about the story the better (particularly how they chose to handle upgrades), having to go from holding the Wii Remote horizontally to pointing it at the screen to use missiles was winky and caused the aim to freak out for a second, and I'm oddly bothered by how they made Samus nearly a foot shorter, but the game itself was surprisingly fun for me. 3D movement in a world designed more like a 2D game was an interesting twist imo.

I also enjoyed Resident Evil 0, but I haven't played it in nearly a decade and it was the first classic-style RE game I played all the way through, so I can't say for sure I'd still enjoy it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit I actually like Dragon Age 2 more then Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition. Mechanically it is easily the worst game of the series, and I'll never try to defend it on those grounds, but I just find the central concept much more interesting.

DA:O always disappointed me because the Darkspawn and the Archdemon were so generic. They had no personality, and the main plot kind of followed the usual Bioware formula. The political plot had a lot of promise and could have been a really interesting story, but the central antagonist isn't allowed to really explain their case or even be right in the main story, so an attempts at moral ambiguity or intrigue fall flat.

In contrast DA2 has more interesting antagonists. The story is rushed, but also feels a bit more reactive because of the smaller setting. I like the idea of seeing a character grow and have their status change over the course of many years. Also seeing party members have their own friendships with each other outside of the PC was fun. I liked that the PC in this game is really just stumbling into these bigger conflicts. It never feels like you are a chosen one or a fated hero, just a person trying to improve their life and protect those they care about. The fact that the game has a big theme of loss and failure on top of it gives the game a fun melancholy tone that I really enjoyed.

Again, I will never defend its gameplay, and the third act is massively rushed, but especially now after seeing Bioware's messy attempts at bigger worlds and stories, I really appreciate this games lower stakes and smaller scale.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Dark Souls 2. It definitely has shortcomings but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the other games do not. It probably helps that it was my first full Souls playthrough, but repeated playthroughs have kept me charmed.

Also, Dragon Age 2. Love Kirkwall, best characters in the series, and the combat is way more fun for me than in 1 or Inquisition. Yes the cut and paste dungeons suck, but everything else more than makes up for it.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
I prefer Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles to the mainline entries. Probably because it was my introduction to the series as a whole.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
So many.

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Arkham Knight, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Pokemon X/Y, Assassin's Creed Unity/Rogue/Revelations, Uncharted 3

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Toshinden 3 - I think it's the best in the series. Love the characters and unlocking them all. Sadly the series didn't do much past this entry. There was a Japan exclusive game that came later, but that was garbage

latest

Tryphus

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2018
Xenoblade X here as well, I lost so much sleep to play that game.

FFVIII and that soundtrack is definitely my favorite.

I know I'm in a minority here, but, Mass Effect 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I love the entire trilogy for various reasons, but for me, even my initial playground before any dlc was fantastic, and I chose synthesis and even loved the original aftermath of that decision. I had done 6 separate 100% character runs(as each class and a mixture of decisions) through ME1 and ME2 leading into it and everything there just really clicked for me and how I interpreted the series. Also that multiplayer. So unexpectedly good, and sunk another 700 hours in that alone.

drzzrd

Nov 29, 2020
No one mentioned Phantasy Star 3 yet? Choosing who to marry and the multi-generation concept I don't think has been done in many rpgs.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Splinter Cell Conviction was a fun power fantasy as a super spy/John Wick is a comparable now. Being able to mark people through walls, run into a room for a kill and then execute the rest was satisfying.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Assassin's Creed III for sure. Connor is no Ezio or Bayek, but he's the series' most underrated protagonist by a long shot; there's a lot more to him than what most people typically talk about when they discuss him. I could probably write a whole thread on that topic. The game itself is great too; there's a lot of features refined from the AC2 trilogy, and the naval combat formed the beginnings of what would become AC4's big draw. (AC4 is still also really good after all these years; I really enjoyed the Switch port of it and Rogue.)

Does Final Fantasy XII count? It's so atypical versus the other entries. And so much better too
It certainly used to be. Post-Zodiac Age, however, it seems like people have really warmed up to it. The game was very ahead of its time in many ways.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I always have the same two answers when these threads come up:
Skyward Sword - Loved how densely-packed it was with the stuff I enjoy about Zelda games.
Starfox Adventures - It's a Zelda-like disguised as a Starfox game. Plus, the graphics blew me away at the time. (This answer feels like cheating, but I like Zelda-likes and don't really care for rail shooters, so of course I'm gonna like this one the most out of the series.)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one mentioned Phantasy Star 3 yet? Choosing who to marry and the multi-generation concept I don't think has been done in many rpgs.
It was mentioned a couple times. The generations thing was pretty cool at the time. I would like to see an M2 remaster with faster walking but I doubt the game is popular enough for that to happen.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Fable 3 was not so bad IMO.
Not as good as 2 overall, that's fair. Rushed, in a way, probably.
I see how the second act could disappoint some people, although I enjoyed it for what it was.

But the villain was great.
The music and voice acting were the best in the series imo. Same for the cutscenes, narration, animation, art.
The setting was amazing, keeping its unique atmosphere and (somewhat) its humour, just darker and grittier.

Granted I haven't played it since 2010. But I remember enjoying my time with it. Not as much as with Fable TLC or Fable 2, it's true; but it clearly didn't feel as terrible as many people paint it today.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
912xS6LEl8L._SY445_.jpg

I kinda liked what GG2 was going for.

I mean, the real answer is of course Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts which is a great game that people just hate on because it wasn't what they wanted from the series but let's dig a little deeper here.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age 2: I just enjoyed the characters really, game play was lacking and the story wasn't all that but those characters just kept bringing me back.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
Good shout on the zelda 2 and metal gear acid love.

For me, maybe MGS2 if that counts? As it's a pretty polarising game otherwise Super mario bros 2 and dead space 2. Lots of sequels

Oct 31, 2017
912xS6LEl8L._SY445_.jpg

I kinda liked what GG2 was going for.

I mean, the real answer is of course Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts which is a great game that people just hate on because it wasn't what they wanted from the series but let's dig a little deeper here.
I remember actually enjoying Nuts and Bolts until the blueprint vehicles weren't good enough to win challenges. That's when I nope'd the fuck out; I have zero interest in personally customizing a vehicle. Then again I was like 13 when I played it so I was probably doing something wrong idk

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
71d7GhTLvLL._SL1005_.jpg

Dragon Age 2

Sure, it was super dumbed down compared to it's predecessor. It was edgy as fuck in places, changed the designs of a lot of Enemies, Races, environments and the combat system was overly stylish.

But the story and it's presentation was by far the best in the series. Becoming the champion of Kirkwall and just experiencing the way from nobody to a rockstar was really cool. I also liked that the story was not on such a grand scale as the first game. Felt kinda personal.

Good game.