• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker_Cover_Art.jpg

This is the best PSP game. Fucking fight me
no no, you're right, this game rules

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
gaming_halo_4_cover_art.jpg

Recently just finished it while playing the MCC. It's certainly weaker than previous instalments, and has some of the dumbest plot developments in the franchise. (The Forerunners engineered Master Chief and Cortana as a chosen pair to face off against the Diadect? What!?) But it's an extremely impressive technical achievement, considering it was engineered to run on the 360, it has some really slick and memorable gameplay moments, and the scenes between Chief and Cortanna had an emotional resonance that the franchise hadn't achieved before, or since.

Voorhees

Nov 20, 2017
Showing my age here but...
Phantasy_Star_III_box_US.jpg

I fucking LOVE this game, I know Canon wise it's a side story to the Algol Saga at best but I wore my Genesis out playing this game.

The generational aspect of it was ahead of it's time, especially when a future generation would reveal secret stuff that happened a generation prior

For instance, Lyle, your friend and Party member from the first generation was revealed in the second generation to be responsible for kidnapping Maia, Rhys' bride, and setting all the events of the game in motion.

Epic quests for Legendary Weapons to defeat Dark Force, 3 generations equaling 8 different endings and still play it at least once a year via emulation.

Phantasy Star 4 is the clear best of the series and the perfect ending but I'll always love 3 equally.

Sep 24, 2020
Assassin's Creed 1. Still my favorite overall in the series, not because it has the best gameplay loop or is the most fun to play necessarily, but because it was the closest to being an actual assassin the series ever got. I miss hiding in crowds and determining the best way to kill my target. The series has skewed sooooo far away.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Resident Evil 3 Remake. So much of the stuff that was missing was stuff I didn't end up caring about (lone exception is the clocktower), and I think Jill and Carlos were the best they've ever been. And while I think they could've used Nemesis more (and better), I liked his implementation more than Mr. X in 2R.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Silent Hill: Homecoming

Sonic and the Black Knight also Sonic 2006

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (my favorite in that series)

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (in that it seems to be the least-liked of the three Tactics games, but it's my #1 favorite Final Fantasy)

Atelier Sophie (I went in with very low expectations because lots of long-time fans were dissing this one and as a long-time fan myself I figured I would too, but it actually ended up as at least my 3rd favorite Atelier in the whole series and I liked the battles in that one a lot)

Are we considering Metal Gear Solid 4 a black sheep of the series at this point? It seems very divisive and I get why, but I really enjoyed it (especially more than everything that followed).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Blood Omen II has a bad story, but more coherent gameplay than Soul Reaver 2.

Also, the steampunk setting is neat, and there's a lot of cool environmental storytelling sprinkled in if you take the time to listen instead of just charging to murder everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Fatal Frame III the black sheep of the localized games? I've seen people be pretty negative towards it in the past.
Again it has some issues, but I absolutely love it.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
+1 for Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, and Dark Souls 2. Also, Shenmue III and Zero Time Dilemma, while I fully understand where all the hate come from, many people are turning a blind eye to all the good things they've pulled

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Street Fighter III New Generation. I obviously love 3rd Strike more but man there's something about NG's stages, music and UI that I love. It gets a lot of undeserved hate imo.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I like Bioshock 2's gameplay and story better than the other two games, which I think makes me an outlier

I think I'm in a pretty high percentile of Chrono Cross-liking as well

And the best Mana game is Legend

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Assassins Creed 3!!

Love the setting and era and the coolness factor is through the roof. Hiding on a tree and then taking out a Red Coat with a rope hook is the coolest thing. Connor is such a badass with the best costume in the series. And you can actually use the Rabbit Snares (for catching small animals) as a weapon!! So cool.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
assassins-creed-unity-cover.jpg

One of my favorites in the series. A lot went wrong with Unity, clearly, but I admire the ambition to this day, and there were many things that it did well that are still worthy of praise. The way assassinations and customization was handled was also sort of peak into the future of the series that started with Origins. The co-op was really fun, and something I wish had lasted for at least another game.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Halo 5 single player is mostly pretty enjoyable and certainly not the worst in the franchise. That is ODST!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Ff2cover.jpg

Yes, I get that it is functionally broken at points, there are a couple legit poor design decisions, and that certain mechanics are not as readily apparent, but this game is much better than people give it credit and it was incredibly forward thinking for the genre by doing a lot of things that took other JRPGs years to catch up on.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Code Veronica is a good to great Resident Evil game; that's brought down more in people's eyes due to Steve being a real annoying asshole. Still holds up to me when I feel like replaying the series. Great environments, great villains, and characterization in the Ashford Twins, interesting story that at the time seemed like a big step up in the stakes as it reunited the Redfords and re-introduced Wesker to the series.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Assassin's Creed Syndicate is my favorite AC game
Also, Assassin's Creed Rebel

Last edited:

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
AC6 is one of my favorite games, and got me into the Ace Combat series. It's a shame it's not as well liked by fans, probably due to the X360 exclusivity when the series was known as a PS game. That being said, go dance with the angels.

220px-Ace_Combat_6_Fires_of_Liberation_Game_Cover.jpg

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
MAFIA III is the best game in the series

DmC: Devil May Cry isn't as good as DMCV but it smashes DMC4

Mass Effect: Andromeda is fun as hell and doesn't deserve its bad rep

Halo 4 is a way better game than Halo CE and Halo 2

Final Fantasy XIII is one of the best games in the series, only losing to X. XV is also pretty good.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is a great ending to Ezio's story and they actually tried to low the tailing missions or diversify them, contrary to Tailing Simulator: Brotherhood.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
MAFIA III is the best game in the series

DmC: Devil May Cry isn't as good as DMCV but it smashes DMC4

Mass Effect: Andromeda is fun as hell and doesn't deserve its bad rep

Halo 4 is a way better game than Halo CE and Halo 2

Final Fantasy XIII is one of the best games in the series, only losing to X. XV is also pretty good.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is a great ending to Ezio's story and they actually tried to low the tailing missions or diversify them, contrary to Tailing Simulator: Brotherhood.

Who hurt you?

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
518FQZBEKaL._AC_.jpg

It's not the best Zelda game by a long shot and it definitely has its share of problems, but it does some things so well (best selection of and implementation of items, temple of the ocean king) that it's my favorite portable Zelda.

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
Another vote for Dark Souls 2. It is by far the jankiest of the three games, but as someone who's less into the "git gud" aspect of the Dark Souls games and more into the exploration and weird, obtuse lore, I very much enjoyed cheesing my way through DS2.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
Dragon Age II was almost universally panned by fans of Origins, and while it definitely does have issues like the lack of visual diversity of maps/dungeons and somewhat uninspired combat, the characters and story are really well done. Hawke is an interesting protagonist, no matter how you develop them. It got a lot of my close friends into the series as well.

I also don't actively dislike Dark Souls 2.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Dead Space 3 gets WAY too bad a rap. The first section of the game, in the abandoned flotilla, is absolutely awesome, and while the game goes a little off the rails by the end, it's still a fun, snappy, survival-horror action game. I really don't think it's that much of a step-down from the second game.

ryan-murphy-roanoke.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Are awesome, Suikoden IV is a GREAT game. It's part of my answer.

I also say Final Fantasy XIII. One of the best games in the series and presentation-wise it's still my favorite game of all time.

Xenosaga: Episode II. It's the best game in the trilogy, by far. Phenomenal soundtrack, fast and fun battle system, great visuals (especially in cutscenes), fantastic story. One of my favorite games ever.

Onimusha 4. Best Onimusha game by a country mile (though I still love the other 3 games).

Tales of Zestiria. In all honesty it's probably my favorite Tales game.