• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

I really like the first Apollo Justice game.

Some of the middle cases drag a bit, and there's one character I despise (Spark Brushel). But it has a lot more going for it than against it:

+A new character who is similar to Phoenix, yet also different enough to seem fresh. Apollo is kind of an inverse Phoenix. He comes off as more of an outward goofball, but his inner dialogue is more serious and focused than Wright.

+An absolutely killer first case, possibly one of the best in the entire franchise. The fourth and final case is fantastic as well. Kristoph Gavin is quite possibly my all-time favorite major villain. Part of that comes from his role. Where Wright's mentor was a good person and helped him throughout his journey, Apollo's ended up being the big bad guy - this dynamic is unexpected and adds good drama to the story. Apollo also carries some of his mentor's mannerisms with him into the subsequent games as well.

+The fresh, cool vibe the game gives off is much different from the original AA trilogy, and a lot of this has to do with the soundtrack. Composed by Toshihiko Horiyama, who some may know from Mega Man X4, it has a more future-like feel to it. It's also way more chill than the other games. A lot of its music feels like it would be on the options menu of another game, or the select a stage screen, or the "home base" portion of a game. It's very home-y and relaxing.

+Like the music, the characters also seem a bit more mellow. Ema is a much more down to earth detective than the bombastic Gumshoe. Klavier is more of a friendly rival than an outright villain of a prosecutor, instead giving up the villain role to his brother. I wouldn't like this for every game in a series like this, but it's a very nice, relaxing change of pace when coming directly off of the finale of the original trilogy.

+It has my favorite portrayal of Phoenix Wright in the series. Hobo Dad Phoenix may seem like an entirely different character at first glance, and he has indeed matured from his rookie days, but once you get inside his head you realize he is most definitely the same guy inside. This is also the first time you see him from another person's perspective, not counting his college flashback self. This is how he comes off to others. Cool and competent on the outside, but a lovable goof on the inside.

hobo-bench%28a%29.gif

I really like this game overall. If it existed in a vacuum, I think I'd like it less. But it knows its place in its series. It's a breath of fresh air, a new start, a different vibe. And it wears that on its sleeve.

Any black sheep games you like? Why?

Aug 27, 2019
I legit don't get the Spark Brushel hate. Sure, he looks weird, but he's probably the most honest and useful witness in the series.
Anyway, Sonic CD is one of the best platformers ever made.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SI_WiiU_XenobladeChroniclesX_image1600w.jpg

rep till I die. I like the music, gameplay, story, and characters more than the other two games in the series. name a hotter take than that

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Xenosaga Episode II. I really like the narrative focus on the URTVs / Jr / Albedo. I think learning more about Momo's backstory is cool. I thought the battle system, while a bit clumsy, was still something sort of different and I did have some fun with it. It still has some of the best music of the series too.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Nice, I hadn't declared my love for Dark Souls 2 in a while!
While 1 is the blueprint and 3 is the greatest hits, 2 is the prog rock album. And it fucking rules.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Knight
Watch Dogs: Legion
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

All the best in their respective series

Edit:
I actually rather enjoyed Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
Oh damn, this too. It's like a Minecraft Immersive Sim set in the world of Banjo-Kazooie

Last edited:

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I guess I'll be first DMC 2013, to be fair I haven't spent much time playing the main series.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bioshock 2 is pretty good
Mass Effect 1 is the best of the ME games I've played
Silent Hill 4 is flawed, but still a great game. It's the weakest of the original four SH entries, but it still stands high in comparison to other games in the genre.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

It is a very polarizing game, and I perfectly understand why. However, I legit think that it is one of the best RPGs ever made.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYzM5NzAxMDItZmQ3OS00NzJhLTlkZDYtNDIwNmIxNTVmYzEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is the best Breath of Fire game.

EDIT: Damn you, SkyOdin! (you have great taste!)

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill 4 is flawed, but still a great game. It's the weakest of the original four SH entries, but it still stands high in comparison to other games in the genre.
SH4 used to be the black sheep but then they made multiple worse games that fail the spirit of Team Silent. 4 is now part of the good ones.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zelda 2 is a decent game that had some good ideas that shouldn't have been discarded.

I think Dark Souls 2's implementation of dual wielding is more interesting than DS3's.

I liked Deus Ex HR's yellow filter.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
DmC for me as well. I do enjoy DMC5 and 3 more but DmC is right after that for me, and I feel like that's still much more appreciation than most other Devil May Cry fans.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I like Dark Souls 2 and think it improves on the original in several interesting ways, even if it's a less majestic game that has its own host of flaws.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Suikoden IV is a good game that simply failed in several areas Suikoden typically excels in. But it tells a good story, has a great "castle", good overall cast, and the ship combat is not bad. And Snowe is a really interesting character.

Drakengard 2 - Bothers to tell an actually earnest story that isn't simply a Yoko Taro-esque "look how weird this is I'm a good storyteller right".

Mass Effect 3 patched and with all DLC is the best overall game in the series, with a combination of (by far) the best combat and plenty of cathartic, earned story beats. And the ending is okay now. Not great, not the worst.

BioShock 2 almost inarguably has the best gameplay in the series, but it also has the best story. 1 succeeds at atmosphere and has a single good twist, but Levine in uninterested in empathetic characters while 2 has the warm, beating heart of Eleanor and side characters like Grace.

Chrono Cross is a bold game that largely succeeds at what it wants to do, and the El Nido Archipelago is a vibrant community of memorable characters and subplots that I was sad to let go of.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Origins is amazing and has the best story/boss fights in the entire series.
Bioshock 2 is really underappreciated considering it has the best gameplay of the entire series.
DmC is the best Devil May Cry game.
Assassin's Creed Syndicate is easily one of the best AC games.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be Final Fantasy XII but I feel like people have warmed up to it over time.

Soooo I'm going to go with Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. I enjoyed the overworld map and it had some of my favorite level design and characters.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Chrono Cross is the better Chrono thanks to the musics, the battle system, the general atmosphere, its secrecy and the characters. Yeah, the characters. I said it. Leave Korcha alone.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Suikoden IV is a good game that simply failed in several areas Suikoden typically excels in. But it tells a good story, has a great "castle", good overall cast, and the ship combat is not bad. And Snowe is a really interesting character.

Drakengard 2 - Bothers to tell an actually earnest story that isn't simply a Yoko Taro-esque "look how weird this is I'm a good storyteller right".

Mass Effect 3 patched and with all DLC is the best overall game in the series, with a combination of (by far) the best combat and plenty of cathartic, earned story beats. And the ending is okay now. Not great, not the worst.

BioShock 2 almost inarguably has the best gameplay in the series, but it also has the best story. 1 succeeds at atmosphere and has a single good twist, but Levine in uninterested in empathetic characters while 2 has the warm, beating heart of Eleanor and side characters like Grace.

Chrono Cross is a bold game that largely succeeds at what it wants to do, and the El Nido Archipelago is a vibrant community of memorable characters and subplots that I was sad to let go of.
Agree with all of these. Drakengard 2 is the only game in that universe I can stand aside from maybe the original Nier.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is just as good if not better than the first Prime in just about every way. The art design was incredible for its time, and holds up well today. The challenge is tough, but (mostly) fair, and has some of the best bosses in the series.

I realize it's not the black sheep that it used to be since Other M exists now, but prior to that it was pretty unpopular compared to Prime, Super, Fusion, or Zero Mission.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Skyward Sword is my second favourite Zelda game

Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of my favourite RPGs and second favourite Xenoblade game (next to 2)

Super Mario Sunshine. While it is not really my favourite 3D Mario game, I still love it and revisit it quite frequently.

Paper Mario Sticker Star. Not my favourite Paper Mario game, but I had a really fun time with it nonetheless and have replayed it a few times.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Assassins Creed Revelations is the best game in the Ezio trilogy, and maybe the best pre-Origins Assassins Creed game. I love the way it tied the story together. with Ezio and Altair. The setting was incredible, especially their recreation of the Grand Bazaar. The new mechanics to help with traversal were great as well. I totally understand the AC burnout people were feeling at the time, but if you take those games outside of that context, Revelations feels really unfairly panned to me.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is just as good if not better than the first Prime in just about every way. The art design was incredible for its time, and holds up well today. The challenge is tough, but (mostly) fair, and has some of the best bosses in the series.

I realize it's not the black sheep that it used to be since Other M exists now, but prior to that it was pretty unpopular compared to Prime, Super, Fusion, or Zero Mission.

This too. Metroid Prime 2 is arguably the best Nintendo game since A Link to the Past.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and Splinter Cell: Conviction 🤷🏽‍♂️