• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NBC News reported that a black pastor was being assaulted by 5 white people who were telling him they were going to kill him and that black lives didn't matter, the pastor pulled out his gun in an attempt to save his life and they backed off, he called 911, cops came, they interviewed his attackers and instead of interviewing him to find out what happened, the cops arrested this pastor and put him in the cop car, as he was taken away, his attackers was waving at him:

www.nbcnews.com

A Black pastor who called 911 after alleged attack was arrested. The sheriff apologized.

Pastor Leon McCray said he "was handcuffed in front of my assaulters," and "they waved at me as I go down the road... . Do you know how disturbing that is?"

A Black pastor who called 911 after alleged attack was arrested. The sheriff apologized.
Pastor Leon McCray said he "was handcuffed in front of my assaulters," and "they waved at me as I go down the road... . Do you know how disturbing that is?"

A sheriff in Virginia has apologized to a Black pastor who was mistakenly arrested after he called authorities for help during an alleged attack by a white family earlier this month.
Pastor Leon McCray was at his home on June 1 when he saw two people trying to dump a refrigerator on his property, he recounted during a church service Sunday. When McCray told them to stop, one person proceeded to verbally attack him and the other one went to get three other people.

McCray said that all five people started attacking him verbally and physically. They were "threatening to kill me... telling me that my Black life didn't matter," he said. That's when he felt the need to pull his concealed firearm to save his life, he said. The group of people then left and McCray proceeded to call 9-1-1 for help.

But when authorities arrived, they didn't ask McCray what happened, he said. They spoke to the white family of five who had just attacked him, he said.

"I was not given an opportunity to speak," said McCray, adding that officers told him they had to arrest him for brandishing a gun. "And I said, what about the trespassing and the assault?"

Instead, McCray "was handcuffed in front of my assaulters" by an officer who has known him from the community for over 20 years, he said, adding "they waved at me as I go down the road... . Do you know how disturbing that is?"

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
They were probably hoping the police would shoot given his trigger happy they with black people. It still sucks that he got arrested, hopefully some video footage exists so he can be released and they arrest the white instigators.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Not exactly the same situation but same thing has happened to my Dad. Called the cops. They go to the white person first when he was the one that called the cops.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf, he wasn't arrested. Still fucked up that the cops immediately defaulted to thinking the white guys were the victims.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were probably hoping the police would shoot given his trigger happy they with black people. It still sucks that he got arrested, hopefully some video footage exists so he can be released and they arrest the white instigators.
They were for multiple charges
Tbf, he wasn't arrested. Still fucked up that the cops immediately defaulted to thinking the white guys were the victims.
Yes he was for brandishing a weapon

ps3ud0 8)

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
At least (and it really is least) in this case there's been an apology by the sheriff, an admission that the brandishing charge was inappropriate, and the family has been arrested and is being held without bail.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the master race
200613-pastor-attacked-1048_f19b85513d85affb858646bd603d7014.fit-1120w.jpg

According to Carter, sheriff's deputies responded to a call of "a person brandishing a firearm" on June 1. Upon their arrival, they arrested McCray.
this smells deeply of bullshit because if McCray was the one who called the police that's not what they would've logged, and neither the article or the sheriff mention the family calling the police.

ps I don't know about anyone else but I found this title very confusingly worded. "Black pastor who called 911 after being attacked and threatened by 5 white people, arrested by cops" would mean the white people were arrested by cops (which they were eventually) but if you're trying to describe that the pastor was attacked and threatened and then arrested you could just remove the comma. "black pastor [who called 911 after being threatened by 5 white people] arrested by cops, attackers waved..." Or "After being attacked and threatened by 5 white people, black pastor called 911 and was arrested by cops".

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way that the 911 call didn't specify that it was an entire gang of white people threatening to kill him and the police still arrested the black man.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked he wasn't killed, black man with a gun is like a free murder coupon for a cop.

Of course disgusting behavior that happened regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
I would've been shocked at any other outcome.

This family looks like something out of Wrong Turn with an extra helping of trashy white racism.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
:/

I'm glad the poor man was released and physically unharmed, because this story could have sadly gone worse. But this is a really shameful example of systemic racism and should have never happened.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Disgusting incident that is not shocking in the slightest.

These white gangs might as well just call the pigs up themselves. Would only strengthen their forces. They know whose side the police are on.

Yet there is no other recourse for this man, there is no justice on his side in this system.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a YouTube video that was linked in that NBC News article where this pastor told his story of being attacked, calling for help and being arrested:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, the master race

this smells deeply of bullshit because if McCray was the one who called the police that's not what they would've logged, and neither the article or the sheriff mention the family calling the police.

ps I don't know about anyone else but I found this title very confusingly worded. "Black pastor who called 911 after being attacked and threatened by 5 white people, arrested by cops" would mean the white people were arrested by cops (which they were eventually) but if you're trying to describe that the pastor was attacked and threatened and then arrested you could just remove the comma. "black pastor [who called 911 after being threatened by 5 white people] arrested by cops, attackers waved..." Or "After being attacked and threatened by 5 white people, black pastor called 911 and was arrested by cops".
Do people still believe cops?

Sheriff Apology
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An arrest was made of the pastor, it's stated right here:

***BREAKING NEWS***

I wanted to provide you information on an incident that occurred Monday 06/01/2020 in the area of Printz Street, in the town of Edinburg. Since this announcement is my first official release, it may a take a few minutes to outline what has occurred to this point.

Regarding the initial call to Printz Street, Sheriff's Deputies responded to a call of a person brandishing a firearm. Upon their arrival, they arrested a Woodstock resident, Leon McCray, Sr.

Mr. McCray met with me on Wednesday the 3rd of June, and after talking with him about the incident, it was apparent to me that the charge of brandishing was certainly not appropriate. Actually, as I told Mr. McCray, if I were faced with similar circumstances, I would have probably done the same thing.

I initiated an immediate review of Mr. McCray's charge, the remaining persons and potential charges of other persons involved in this incident, and an internal review of the actions or inaction's of the Sheriff's Office staff that responded. Please know that there were two persons (Dennis Salyers and Donny Salyers – both of Edinburg) already charged with Assault and Battery, and two other persons (Amanda Salyers and Christopher Sharp, both of Edinburg) charged with Trespassing.

I met twice with the Shenandoah Commonwealth's Attorney, and she has reviewed the case, and agreed with the assessment of the brandishing charge, in that she would drop this charge.

Last night, Sheriff's Office obtained warrants for more severe charges regarding this investigation. Felony Abduction, Assault by a Mob, and Assault – Hate Crime warrants were obtained for (Donny Salyers – 43, Dennis Salyers – 26, Farrah Saylers – 42, and Christopher Sharp – 57 years old). All were taken into custody without incident at their home in Edinburg.

A fifth person, Amanda Saylers (26 years old from Edinburg) was also charged and taken into custody for Assault by Mob, and Assault - Hate Crime.

All persons are currently being held without bond. This is still an ongoing investigation.

I have placed two supervisors of my staff on unpaid Administrative Leave, while I complete and administrative review of the initial incident.

Lastly, I have apologized to Mr. McCray, and I appreciate his patience as I have worked through these matters. I do listen to citizen complaints and I take them seriously.

I want the people of Shenandoah County to know I and the Sheriff's Office staff appreciate and care about the minority communities, and especially our Black community, in Shenandoah County.

Also, I continue to support and recognize the importance of your Constitutional rights, especially your 2nd Amendment right to protect yourself and your family.

Thank you for your patience, because with today's social media, there seems to be a sense of immediacy. Please know that as I work through this process, I will update you with any future developments. Thank you.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Shouldn't you be banned for this?

Eras moderation is weird to say the least. They let comments like this exist while ignoring the thousands of years of systemic racism that has plagued every continent since the White Genocide of 1701.

Words like that are harmful, and it is no way to get people on your side with the whole, white supremacy being a lethal problem for all minorities, issue. If you want human beings to recognize that you're a human being too, you have best to bring some honey with your sentiment. As well as some easy to read literature. With a good slogan, and nothing to make anyone feel uncomfortable. MLK preached PEACE.

Keep it up Era.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (permanent): Racism, Inflammatory false equivalences across a series of posts, prior severe ban for excusing racism.
Eras moderation is weird to say the least. They let comments like this exist while ignoring the thousands of years of systemic racism that has plagued every continent since the White Genocide of 1701.

Words like that are harmful, and it is no way to get people on your side with the whole, white supremacy being a lethal problem for all minorities, issue.

Keep it up Era.

It just plane out doesn't express anything positive and is entirely counterproductive. How many people of all colours are out protesting cop brutality? You should banned for such stupidity.

Fuck black people!

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a wake up call for that pastor. Knowing a cop for a long time and thinking they are the good ones goes out the window when you have white people accusing you, I mean to not even be asked what happened is just sickening.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Gonna say this is prime discussion material for what I was saying in the "should I buy a gun?" And the response "just call the police."

This man may not have made it if he had called the police unarmed. And obviously calling the police was a dangerous option. Not saying owning a firearm is for everyone, but I think this forum needs to nuance the realities in America currently.

I say this simultaneously hoping we restrict firearm laws more in this country and think it's scary.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Brewing tire fire in this thread aside, police continue to be bullshit.

Honestly just gonna lead to more people taking situations into their own hands because the police are a shit show on ice.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

Words like that are harmful, and it is no way to get people on your side with the whole, white supremacy being a lethal problem for all minorities, issue. If you want human beings to recognize that you're a human being too, you have best to bring some honey with your sentiment. As well as some easy to read literature. With a good slogan, and nothing to make anyone feel uncomfortable. MLK preached PEACE.

Keep it up Era.
Not gonna lie, you almost got me in the first half.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It just plane out doesn't express anything positive and is entirely counterproductive. How many people of all colours are out protesting cop brutality? You should banned for such stupidity.

Fuck black people!

If you're taking personal offense to the sentiment ' fuck white people ' you need to understand that unless you're part of the white people problem in this nation, then it doesn't apply to you. You making it personal, then claiming its counter productive, is a fart in the wind. As you don't have an understanding of the issue. You will even find white people, saying fuck white people.

It speaks to the fucking of the status quo, that ends up being lethal to people of colour.

like 1 poster is saying fuck white people, for actions like this in the thread, the history, and the ongoing reality.

In context, You're saying fuck the black people (pastor), as that is the opposite of the sentiment posted.

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck black people!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL