• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
This looks great. Doesn't look like it would easily run on current gen, especially the scenes that we saw in the last montage section of the trailer. I hope this comes to the west next year.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Crytek´s first game was Far Cry. We don´t even need to bring up Crysis. FC 1 was legit on release. Can an unknown studio from a country the world didn´t have its eye on overdeliver? It happened before. I need to see more to fully sell my Souls on the dream of Monkey-kiro but Sony, Microsoft or both better get on a phone fast.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This looks absolutely NUTS! It looks better than anything we have seen for next gen. I can only imagine it is running on an insane PC. I hope they can scale it to run at a decent FPS, and I hope the actual game play holds up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the whole thing on my TV and even in just 1080p, holy fuck this looks INCREDIBLE. Arguably the best looking and most exciting next gen game I've seen yet (alongside HZD FW). So many amazing things about it, from the effects, quirky or cool transformations, weird enemy designs, cool animations, grandiose bosses, fantastical environments, environmental density, asset, shader and texture quality, slick looking movesets and special abilities and so on.

Above all, it just looks really fun. Like God of War meets Sekiro or something.

Do we know anything more about platforms, anticipated release periods etc?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over this demo, brehs. Also, slightly out of touch question? But why did it take so long for a Chinese developer to breakthrough on a big scale. I wanna assume it's mostly politics but I don't want to be incorrect in my line of thinking.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That smiley is so off-putting. Shu should keep his filthy paws away from this game, if the dev wants to be on PC+all next gen consoles+streaming platforms then please let them do that.

Good luck with that. It's supposedly by a team of just 40 people. Porting to just one other platform is time consuming, costly and hard enough, let alone porting to several, especially for such a small team. Hell, they're probably stretched thin just working on one version of the game let alone other ports.

I can't see this game being an every platform and the kitchen sink style release, at least not for a very long time, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

That said, if this studio accepted a massive wad of money that allowed them to grow the studio and make a better version of this game, but at the cost of being (next-gen only) console exclusive to only one platform (be that XSX or PS5), on top of the PC release, I certainly wouldn't be mad.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still can't get over this demo, brehs. Also, slightly out of touch question? But why did it take so long for a Chinese developer to breakthrough on a big scale. I wanna assume it's mostly politics but I don't want to be incorrect in my line of thinking.

China gamers play mostly home-grown games on PC (I believe)

Oct 28, 2017
What's so impressive about this demo is that it actually looks like a tangible game as oppose to the many of the ambitious tech demos you see for other games.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It really just looks ok. My only explanation is that maybe everyone is watching this trailer on their tiny smartphones.

you have got to

1) be more specific
or
2) post something you think is more impressive and say why

What's so impressive about this demo is that it actually looks like a tangible game as oppose to the many of the ambitious tech demos you see for other games.

Yeah, something about the animations and transitions—while incredible—all look like they're in a real-time game. the pacing of this demo definitely suggests it's a vertical slice and there's no telling if a final product would keep up with that pace, but it all seems feasible as displayed here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

Because making AAA games could take 3 to 10 years and a lot of money.
Their industry still young so mobile games are more attractive options with shorter dev circle and easier to make big buck.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Last 20 seconds of the music in this video is a throwback reference to the famous classic opening theme of the TV version (37 sec in the video below)

the song is amazing! chinese people on IGN's comments are drooling over the demo, it seems they hitted every right note for Journey to the West fans.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I mean we have Dictator being in awe and claiming some of this is truly next gen only, but sure, must be the small screens.
The type of smoke used here has only been im two phsyx titles on PC and causes PC GPUs trouble - Yeah this is next gen!
Wait, DF did an analyses of this game? Where can I find it?
Oh i just mentioned it on Twitter.
also 60 fps target here with the models and effects is also next gen as hell - like seriously, 60 fps with the Stuff going on here is only doable on something like a Zen 2 or a big fat next gen gpu.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The type of smoke used here has only been im two phsyx titles on PC and causes PC GPUs trouble - Yeah this is next gen!

Oh i just mentioned it on Twitter.
also 60 fps target here with the models and effects is also next gen as hell - like seriously, 60 fps with the Stuff going on here is only doable on something like a Zen 2 or a big fat next gen gpu.

Ok, Thanks for the reply, Dictator. Hopefully you can do a deep dive analysis when you have the time. Thx again.....

Christo750

May 10, 2018
If this is pre-alpha I expect the downgrade to be significant. But the game itself looks awesome.

I love the pseudo-stealth idea of shapeshifting to fit the environment. Like hiding in plain sight. Very cool.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
In addition, the most well known image of the monkey was from the 80s TV show production which toned down his monster like look significantly, in the original mythology he was at various times described as a scary and even monstrous being when provoked.
Yeah, the show is definitely the main bulk of my experiences with the story.
I've got some reading to do.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with that. It's supposedly by a team of just 40 people. Porting to just one other platform is time consuming, costly and hard enough, let alone porting to several, especially for such a small team. Hell, they're probably stretched thin just working on one version of the game let alone other ports.

I can't see this game being an every platform and the kitchen sink style release, at least not for a very long time, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

That said, if this studio accepted a massive wad of money that allowed them to grow the studio and make a better version of this game, but at the cost of being (next-gen only) console exclusive to only one platform (be that XSX or PS5), on top of the PC release, I certainly wouldn't be mad.
Don't be so naive, you know very well how it goes, it's not in any way certain that the PC release will even happen if a platform holder open the wallet. Or it could be butchered by some exclusive content deal. And what if it's a Stadia exclusive, I bet you'd love that.

Nah lets pray they get to keep their original plan. That way they truly gets to be the savior of the industry as the mistranslation went. And they've made a demo that beats everything the AAA devs has shown so I won't doubt that they can pull off a multiplat release, especially if they're using Unreal Engine.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Control PC settings. Like I said the game doesnt look any more impressive than Anthem.
The game is made by 13 people? It shows.
The downplaying of this game on this thread by some people feels so damn weird. Are we even watching the same video? Do people squint their eyes while watching this video and rush to post their hot takes?

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
A short summary of Sun Wukong's 72 abilities. Pls note that there are many overlapping ones and some of them need verification. I will check all the media adaptations to make corrections if necessary
1. Traversal between Hell and human realms
2. Bypassing the cognitive sense of various (low level) gods and holy spirits
3. Carrying mountains on his back without being squished. When Sun Wukong wreaked havoc on the Heaven and get discipline by Buddha, in form of being trapped under a mountain, this is what helped him survive in such state for 500 years
4. Splitting water flow to travel over rivers
5. Utilizing the power of the wind
6 - 8. Manipulating weather: summoning clouds, sun and rain
9. Resistance to fire and heat (with some exceptions)
10. Swimming underwater (presumably without a need to breathe or he can breathe underwater)
11. Covering the whole sky with his hands
12. Traverse with the wind or clouds (shown in the trailer)
13. Crafting holy bullets
14. Breathing fire
15. Swallowing weapons
16. Enlarging or shrinking objects at will
17. Project his soul out of his body for a limited time
18. Walking over water
19. Making decoys to run from enemies
20. Creating clones to confuse/battle the enemies (shown in the trailer)
21. Turning invisible
22. Forming new heads even if his head is split into two.
23. Attacking acupuncture points over the body
24. Damaging/killing spiritual monster (ones without a body)
25. Praying for assistance from other gods and holy forces (YMMV)
26. Detecting/seeing others' soul or spirit which exist outside of their bodies
27. Tagging/tracking enemies with absolute precision
28. Summoning for clouds (to traverse, see point 12)
29. Capturing the moon
30. Telekinesis
31. Forcing enemies to experience nightmares when they sleep
32. Splitting and reconnecting his body organs without taking damages
33. Projecting his pain/damages onto enemies, forcing them to experience such suffering in place for him
34. Stopping the flow of water at will
35-36. Anticipating and mitigating dangers in near future or at present (not sure about this one, I need to check if these are used in any adaptations)
37. Turning rocks into gold
38. High proficiency in sword arts
39. Seeing through solid objects
40. Moving underground
41. Inferring prophecy
42. Forming barrier circle, blocking monsters from outside
43. Shape-shifting (shown in the trailer)
44-45. Morphing objects to different forms at will (just by pointing his fingers)
46. Running away in an instant (with the cost of leaving all clothes and weapon behinds)
47. Cloaking himself with illusions
48-49. Summoning items from distant places
50-51. Commanding wild beasts and birds
52. Surviving without breath
53. Lifting heavy objects (up to multiple tons)
54. Walking through rocks
55. Creating light rays from his eyes
56. Creating potent medicine from alchemy
57. Self-navigation
58. Swallowing everything without taking damage
59. Walking through walls
60. Jumping (very) high
61. (lol) Growing a new head even if his current head is chopped off (see point 22)
62. Grabbing/stealing objects instantly
63. Drinking unlimited amount of water
64-65. Resistance to snow and cold, or sun rays and heat
66. Conducting medical diagnosis and treatment
67-68. Creating medicine or potions from enchantments
69-70. Omniscience
71. Absorbing natural energy to survive without foods
72. Telepathically attacking enemies' mind
Tbh I can't imagine the studio to implement all of those into their game without making their budget explode and excessively overpowering Sun Wukong, but I remain cautiously positive about their outlook.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't be so naive, you know very well how it goes, it's not in any way certain that the PC release will even happen if a platform holder open the wallet. Or it could be butchered by some exclusive content deal. And what if it's a Stadia exclusive, I bet you'd love that.

Nah lets pray they get to keep their original plan. That way they truly gets to be the savior of the industry as the mistranslation went. And they've made a demo that beats everything the AAA devs has shown so I won't doubt that they can pull off a multiplat release, especially if they're using Unreal Engine.

I don't think I'm the one being naive here. There appears to be a group of people on Era who think porting comes easy or cheap, and that having games on every platform is some sort of given, simply put, often it's not. I'm glad people like Dark1x are highlighting as much in recent weeks.

Ultimately, there's a reason it's so common to see smaller studios take up publisher/platform exclusivity deals (timed or permanent), because that funding/support is massively important to them, and a multi-platform release isn't necessarily always on the cards in the first place, at least not a simultaneous one anyway.

Regarding the PC release, given the bulk of development has already commenced on a PC version, and a huge portion of the Chinese gaming market is into PC gaming, again, I think it's naive to assume a console exclusivity deal would mean throwing away all the work and intention for a PC release. That just doesn't make a lick of sense. Rather, a Nioh, Yakuza PC/Console style deal is more likely, should there be some sort of exclusivity deal in place, timed or otherwise. There might not be.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That looks unreal. As soon as I saw the guy whose head was twice as big as his body, I was fucking in.

:o

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017