• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yep, this is what next gen action games are supposed to look like. :)

People will be pretty amazed what Chinese game developers will be able to produce in the very near future. They are catching up with Western and Japanese developers and might soon even overtake them in some regards.

Oh, I fully believe that a new generation of Chinese-based devs were largely "training in the mountains", just waiting for the day when they come down and blow us away with the fruits of their labors, like this.

With the way China has been pretty far ahead of the game when it comes to the gaming space in other areas, it's only a matter of time before they likely do so in other areas.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If someone showed me gifs without context and told me this was from unnanounced FromSoft game I might have believed, really nailed the tone of general art direction.

This is now on my radar.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Day effing one, wow. Love the combat style, looks incredibly fun and the animations look great. Crazy to read it's a small 40 man studio working on this.

And I loved the moment where the boss shook off the flames.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
the creator left Tencent to start his own company because he hated the monetization, so I think we're good

Devs do talk about this in the Q&A: It's a traditional one-time-payment game, but we are not ruling out the possibility of DLCs or non-stat related content, and you are welcome to take the screedshot this statment so u can remind us with this in case something different arises.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Real gameplay or vertical slice. I was ready to be convinced until the transition from gameplay to cut scene at the end of the wereworlf battle.
I love the way the fire staff lands in the ground for you to collect after beating that enemy.
Yep. I find most game failed to be satisfying when defeating an important ennemy. The last hit slow mo is great but used in a lot of games.
I think it works very well here.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
through all of the reveals we've had for games in the past year, this is the first time i've been excited for next gen... oh my god

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The production values look insane. The art style and animations are impressive as hell.

The only thing that gives me pause is the stamina bar. Every single action game doesn't have to be Dark Souls. I want to freely use my abilities.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to be a downer, but the lack of any cut into a position specific cutscene at 10:15 leads me to believe that a lot of this isn't authentic gameplay.

And the team is only 40 people and considers itself "indie"? Idk guys, I think y'all need to either dramatically temper your expectations or prepare to wait 4+ years for this to materialize.

On the bright side, even if this is all just dressed up target render/proof of concept. The tons of art, enemy designs, location designs, and target gameplay they're showing is incredibly promising, as long as they get enough people on board to bring it to fruition.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! This looks really, really good. Great art direction, amazing animation, and the combat looks really hefty and impactful. Really hope this gets an English release, even if it's just subtitled. I suspect they'll have lots of EN publishers banging on their door to accomplish this.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to be a downer, but the lack of any cut into a position specific cutscene at 10:15 leads me to believe that a lot of this isn't authentic gameplay.

And the team is only 40 people and considers itself "indie"? Idk guys, I think y'all need to either dramatically temper your expectations or prepare to wait 4+ years for this to materialize.

On the bright side, even if this is all just dressed up target render/proof of concept. The tons of art, enemy designs, location designs, and target gameplay they're showing is incredibly promising, as long as they get enough people on board to bring it to fruition.
Im with you one this being too good to be true or will take 4 years min but there are quite a few games from China that hold good quality while developed by few or even 1 person. Shooter "Bright Memory" for example is made by 1 guy.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, looks amazing. And not just from a tech standpoint which could slide, but that art direction isn't likely to go away and looks dope.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, you get to play as the Monkey King and do all sorts of crazy magic shit with him? That's the sort of thing I've always wanted to see in a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Im with you one this being too good to be true or will take 4 years min but there are quite a few games from China that hold good quality while developed by few or even 1 person. Shooter "Bright Memory" for example is made by 1 guy.
Wtf, just looked up Bright Memory, and all I could say was "holy shit". I mean sure, it's only like a hour of content, but for all of that to be handled by 1 guy, at that fidelity, is insane. He even said it was "in his spare time".

If Black Myth can see a similar ROI, they really could pull this off in a normal time frame.

My only question is how are these devs producing such detailed assets so fast, like it's normal?

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is what next gen action games are supposed to look like. :)

People will be pretty amazed what Chinese game developers will be able to produce in the very near future. They are catching up with Western and Japanese developers and might soon even overtake them in some regards.

This is good. I want more variety in gaming. :)

This is insane. Linked to my gaming friends and they were floored. I don't care if it apes God of War, Sekiro, etc. as long as it does those well.

So they need the funding, I take it? Hope a publisher picks them up. Maybe Square Enix? What about Activision or EA? Hahaha! I'm kidding.

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Sony and Microsoft both had their respective shows. And yet this is legitimately the first next generation looking game we've seen all year.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Looks f amazing. Chinese devs keep showing all these amazing "games", but where are they?? Hard for me to get excited tbh.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

This genuinely looks so good it's almost hard to believe it is real. Like the damn UE5 tech demo except a game that looks incredibly polished.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice. Want to see more.

He runs a bit slow though for a character that can move ridiculously fast normally. Needs some Ninja Gaiden speed to it, I feel.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Seems like a healthy middle ground between God of War and souls-like games, I'm all for it.
Their art director is an absolute beast, but the whole core team they assembled is probably one of the most senior in the Chinese industry right now. They're also one of the only ones to produce directly for consoles and their output is terrific, so it most likely won't be hard to find talent willing to depart major studios to join them. The key concern for them was funding; they had to make two mobile games and are still doing co-development and outsourcing for Chinese studios to raise enough money to keep this project going.
I actually followed their announcement on Weibo and was the first comment on their Youtube video before all this blew up, I'm extremely (and pleasantly) surprised by the international reaction! There's no doubt they will get their funding now, and hopefully with no strings attached.

For a little bit more context on the Chinese game industry, there's this phrase "文化输出" meaning "Cultural Output". It's frequently used on Chinese forums to describe the project of exporting Chinese AAA games to foreign markets and their inability to do so. A lot of Chinese people are disappointed in Tencent's route to flat out copy and mass-market western games, even Jack Ma of all people lol.
Projects like Wu Kong proves them it's definitely possible to assemble great teams with creative ideas and sufficient manpower to achieve this "文化输出".

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Bravo to these devs for giving everyone a first look at their game with nothing but pure un commentated gameplay. No CGI, no cinematics. JUST PURE GAMEPLAY. THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME! and I hope it'll make its way here states side.
Preach! (looking at you, Rock steady. We better see gameplay tomorrow)
This trailer is a big hit in China, top trending, more than 6 millions views.
Hopefully it also gains traction in the West

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was really into the art direction, outside of the main character, because he seemed a little bland... but then they swerved with the "real" Monkey King at the end of the trailer, head feathers and all.

Definitely skeptical of how the final product will be, but my interest in piqued. The story and character have so much nonsense that would make sense in a video game like this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles

Yeaaa, this checks all the boxes of too good to be. Especially knowing china's gaming market and their focus on mobile gaming.
Especially considering its on "UE4", the engine isn't exactly known to be ship friendly and a lot of the techniques they are using through these videos I know are extremely expensive. So not sure if they focus on it being cloud streamed off high-end PC's, but I doubt this will be like this once released.

But down to be proven wrong, looks really fucking great and I miss the days of demo's like this.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I love it so much if this an actual gameplay and representative of the final game. Though I didn't like the final bits where he had to fight an army, looked super janky there

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Holy shit, I hope demon's look this good. Graphiks artstyle, gameplay it looks awesome