• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Wow! Give me this fucking game like yesterday! A well made Wukong game is like my dream game. Especially since it's an ARPG.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Wow!!! It looks incredible!
this must be fake right???
how a never seen developer can pull something like this and in a year where new gen is coming and console companys are struggling to show something that could appeal hardcore public and this is not showed in one of the conferences?
i will love this to be true but there's some projects that is really hard to believe at moment.
this is one of them.
plan 8, crimson desert, project awakening and atomic heart are other games that show supposed gameplay videos that are really hard to believe!!

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the gameplay looks really fun.

So I imagine you can switch between other characters you unlock or something.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Not sure why you expected this to have a North American publisher on-board at this point. Its entirely possible they will just publish it themselves digitally worldwide. That's what's happening with other Chinese games mostly
Honestly, I can't think of a non-mobile, China-developed game that has been released here in the US, so I figured they would partner with someone for translation and distribution.

Is there a lot of stuff out there that I'm just not aware of?

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch and enjoy Journey to The West TV series when I was young. I think it was Hong Kong production rather than mainland China.

Now, I just realized that I really need a game based on that series or novel. And this one seems to fulfill my need to play as Sun Wukong.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over the last minute. Holy SHIT! And goddamn at the animations. The fights had great impact! The way the boss licked it's paw? "Awwwwwww"! And when Sun Wukong changed character and lit it on fire and the wolf thing shook off the flames? Come the FUCK ON! This is incredible! Can't wait!

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Soon as this hits PS5 in the west, I'm coppin.

I feel like there have been several Chinese Monkey King games that never really made a splash, but this looks like the one.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Super impressed by what's coming out of China. They're going to be a powerhouse this coming gen internationally and will just continue to improve.

Dec 23, 2017
Okay so a couple of thoughts. This would easily be my most anticipated game. I don't think it would come to switch if released on "major platforms" like they said. There is another game this reminds me of. It was announced a couple years ago it's a indie game but it's 2d martial arts main character using a staff of some sort. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Honestly, I can't think of a non-mobile, China-developed game that has been released here in the US, so I figured they would partner with someone for translation and distribution.

In recent years we've seen a handful of chinese pc gams get localised via steam.

In fact I think that's why this looks so good. China has always been a pc focused market so any domestic game will target at least pc. They likely don't think about targeting consoles first like most western and Japanese developers.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think I would like to play something like this. Lore I am not super familiar with and possibly great gameplay. I don't know enough about the industry side to know how good its gameplay and tech could be but this along with that Sony/China project really has me convinced (it's a) when (not an if) one of these projects lands it could be pretty massive and a hit.

OP
OP
leon9506

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
some concept arts, gives me hard fromsoftware and god of war vibe
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4flsl2bj31cf0u0x33.jpg

006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fjonbnj31cf0u01kx.jpg

006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4flgccjj31hc0u0h7e.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4flwmljj31hc0u0h97.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fk8j1mj30u012pkjl.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fltkgaj31hc0u04mx.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fk44fjj31hc0u0hdt.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fkjnd0j31o00u01ky.jpg
006h-YGk-Fly1ghx4fkntnzj31o00u07wi.jpg
ebdba569ly1ghx47nl4zpj21o00u0x6s.jpg
ebdba569ly1ghx47kfb5pj21o00u0x6s.jpg
ebdba569ly1ghx47t8rd9j21hc0u0u10.jpg
ebdba569ly1ghx47qb0zsj21o00u04qt.jpg
ebdba569ly1ghx47dpkpxj21hc0u0qv8.jpg

Last edited:

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China
Okay so a couple of thoughts. This would easily be my most anticipated game. I don't think it would come to switch if released on "major platforms" like they said. There is another game this reminds me of. It was announced a couple years ago it's a indie game but it's 2d martial arts main character using a staff of some sort. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I actually might know what you are referring to but forgot the title as well. Female protagonist in a sci-fi setting metroidvania or something I think?

Right

Nov 24, 2017
wow this looks amazing. But yeah inferring from the wording on their website don''t expect this before 2022 (They are still hiring lots of people).

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Also, did the protgaonist store that weapon in his head?
Yes. Sun Wukong has a size-changing staff that he keeps in his ear when it is not in use.

I would not say a lot, but they certainly exist. The biggest is Perfect World, though that is a MMORPG, so it is basically the predecessor to mobile games. Most of the retail Chinese games with English localization of which I am aware are fairly small indie or small studio efforts, and they can be varied: Will: A Wonderful World (otome VN), Banner of the Maid (SRPG), Icey (beat'em up).

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Each new reveal keeps reinforcing my belief that Chinese game studios really are going to break out strongly in the high-end gaming market next gen.

It feels like such a short time ago all the games coming out of China were pretty cheap-looking. They're improving so quickly, it's amazing. China will absolutely become a game dev powerhouse in the future, I'm certain.

I really loved that boss with the flaming staff (and the animal boss following it).

Ex Machina

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, the graphic is so stunning and atmospheric! The animation impressed me the most. If they can maintain the quality throughout the whole game, we might have a winner.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The one game I dreamed of making. I really hope they dwelve into Wu Kong origin story before the events of the Journey to the West. I really loved the book telling about his adventures. If it's anything close to what I read, it's gonna be mental. So many different locations, so many opportunities for unique and interesting combat encounters. From what I've seen in this Alpha footage, they are on the right track. 👀

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. This looks almost too good to be true, coming from a developer I've never heard of. Hope it materializes into something I can actually play!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I just want to say that this looks super awesome and I hope it is great when it comes out.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
strange that we don't see sanzhang bajie and wujing at all
surely the story is set after wukong lost his rebellion and sanzhang freed him since it's about the 81 tribulations?

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
This is one of the best games I've seen so far!! It's now my most anticipated game! My goodness this is good

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
strange that we don't see sanzhang bajie and wujing at all
surely the story is set after wukong lost his rebellion and sanzhang freed him since it's about the 81 tribulations?

The ending of the trailer had him at the heavens fighting off hundreds of guards.

I assume that the ending of the game is him getting SLAPPED by Buddha.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
In recent years we've seen a handful of chinese pc gams get localised via steam.

In fact I think that's why this looks so good. China has always been a pc focused market so any domestic game will target at least pc. They likely don't think about targeting consoles first like most western and Japanese developers.

I would not say a lot, but they certainly exist. The biggest is Perfect World, though that is a MMORPG, so it is basically the predecessor to mobile games. Most of the retail Chinese games with English localization of which I am aware are fairly small indie or small studio efforts, and they can be varied: Will: A Wonderful World (otome VN), Banner of the Maid (SRPG), Icey (beat'em up).
Well, you learn something new every day.

It will be interesting to see if they end up working with someone on the international release, or use this as a chance to establish their own publishing presence. The translated blurb from the website does say that they're targeting "PC + all major host platforms".

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
That ending part when he is facing all those troops really sold me on the game. A proper monkey game would be amazing.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Bro wtf.

Y'all sure this ain't a target render? This looks more next-gen than most of the shit Sony and Microsoft have shown off so far. If this is real, and they aren't already working on the English version, Sony and Microsoft need to be on the phone with these motherfuckers like, now.

After looking at Sword & Fairy, Xuan Yuan Sword, Gujian, and now this, these Chiense singleplayer RPGs are getting better and better. It almost looks like the progression we saw CDProjekt go through from Witcher 1 to Witcher 3.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So according to there website, this run on UE4.....the art style is incredible....day 1 whenever its releases....

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Nov 7, 2017
Whoa a AAA Sun Wukong Game?? Give it to me noooow! Whenever/if this releases, I hope they keep the Mandarin audio but with English subtitles.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was incredible. Looks better than just about any next-gen game I've seen footage of, top to bottom. The sense of scale of the larger enemies, the character designs, the environments, combat animations, environmental destruction ... all seem top class.

Even if the footage isn't 1:1 with the final game, there wasn't anything that seemed like purely a target render, outside of the pacing of encounters being so quick. It all at least felt like it was in real-time.

I'm still stunned

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
The ending of the trailer had him at the heavens fighting off hundreds of guards.

I assume that the ending of the game is him getting SLAPPED by Buddha.
no, that's the prologue of journey to the west actually
at the end of the fight against the big wolf, we see someone that looked like wukong at his rebellion form with the true jin gu staff blocking the player wukong with the grey staff

this is definitely set after wukong lost his rebellion

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
no, that's the prologue of journey to the west actually

I meant that I think this game will only cover the prologue for Journey to the West - the 'origin story' for Wukong learning the 72 transformations, eating the elixirs of immortality, stealing the staff and gaining enough power to wreck havoc at the Heavenly Palace.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell that looked amazing. That wolf fur is next level. That montage at the end with those Titans and that Cronos scale boss...damn. This legit looks more impressive than most everything else next gen we've seen so far.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
at the end of the fight against the big wolf, we see someone that looked like wukong at his rebellion form with the true jin gu staff blocking the player wukong with the grey staff

this is definitely set after wukong lost his rebellion

I think that is just trailer marketing shenanigans.

Aka "are you disappointed that this demo had Wukong looking like a chump? Look at end-game Wukong - aka rebellion form"