• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
3 new episodes. No idea how good they are or aren't. But you can watch them now if you're a weird Black Mirror superfan like me. Post your reactions to the episodes or your general Black Mirror feelings

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
let me guess: the twist in every episode is that it is a simulation and life and simulation is actually just the same.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna catch an episode now. My friend said the viewing order is randomized from person to person.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got thoughts on Smithereens.

Easily the least traditionally Black Mirror-ish episode they've ever done- far more about one man's grief and self-loathing than the standard perils of technology, with the situation being blamed more on an individual than the insidious nature of technology. I suspect that many will dislike it, but I loved the tone and suspense of the thing, and it was a superb showcase of Andrew Scott in particular. I don't think that anyone will be surprised by the direction that the episode goes- if you want a big twist, there are plenty of other Black Mirror episodes to go for- but I thought it was as close to good straightforward drama as the series has ever got.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I missed this show. One of my favourites. I have to subscribe to Netflix again. Many shows are returning this summer.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Striking Vipers is the first episode for me. Damn.. This entire concept for this episode is insane

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know it was going to be out tonight and got surprised when I saw it up on Netflix, was bummed that it's only 3 episodes though.

I just finished watching Striking Vipers, I really caught off guard with where this episode went.

Damn, Capcom gonna make a lot of money in the future lol

Seriously though, I know it's fake future VR tech and everything, but thought it was kinda ridiculous that some mainstream fighting game would allow you to go that far, imagine all the problems that would create. Would have made more sense if it was an app designed for that sort of thing.

Anyway, that's just a nitpick, I actually liked the episode.

Last edited:

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Watched Striking Vipers, that shit was dumb as hell. The tone of the show just isn't what it was in the beginning and the inconsistency from episode to episode has me unsure whether or not I even care for it anymore.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's only so much room for originality in these dark, dystopian sci-fi tales. I wonder if there's any originality left by now.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like this came out with comparatively less hype than before, or is it just me feeling that way? Anyway can't wait to watch

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Binge watched all three, Netflix gave them in the order Striking Vipers -> Smithereens -> Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too.

Striking Vipers was probably my favourite, but Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too was pretty up there. Smithereens was definitely the weak one for me, but had some fantastic performances

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Striking Vipers for now. It was sweet. Not at all what I expected from Black Mirror. I liked it. Kinda makes you wonder just how far VR will go.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Striking Viper is so good!! What a season premiere. That credit roll is so original for black mirror

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what do people mean by randomizing the episode order?

You just 'start season' or whatever, but can't choose what order the episodes come up in? Can you after you've watched all 3? Or does it just change the order on the season screen but you can watch however you want?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Great start to the new season, really enjoyed the first episode. Will watch the rest later.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could not be happier that this series is making attempts to move away from grimdark cynicism. My appetite for cautionary tales in a world where many of them are coming true is something that I don't have as much of as I used to.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what do people mean by randomizing the episode order?

You just 'start season' or whatever, but can't choose what order the episodes come up in? Can you after you've watched all 3? Or does it just change the order on the season screen but you can watch however you want?

It might be a thing where Netflix is randomizing the order of the season like with Love, Death + Robots in order to figure out if people are more prone to stop watching the entire season after some specific episodes.

Or people are just weirdos that willingly randomize in their own 🤷🏻‍♂️

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Time:
Instead of manipulating our anxiety about technology—something Brooker often accomplished simply by activating viewers' visceral disgust—the new episodes revel in the ridiculousness of our predicament, achieving a level of detachment that makes the show campy in the same way so many out-of-touch spectacles are campy.

Black Mirror may have already outlived its relevance.

Yeah, I already had the feeling that Brooker was way too far up his own ass last season. I think I'll pass for now.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i've watched all of them but that was the plot to pretty much every episode last season and a few before.
It literally was the plot "device" of only 4 episodes across 4 seasons, granted 2 were last season (in a 6ep season): White Christmas, San Junipero, USS Callister, Hang the DJ.

Edit: You will also notice those eps have little to do with each other in terms of both tone and actual plot.
I didn't put Play Test in the list because it was a VR game, not a life sim.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
let me guess: the twist in every episode is that it is a simulation and life and simulation is actually just the same.
0YhQyyx.gif

Yeah, I already had the feeling that Brooker was way too far up his own ass last season. I think I'll pass for now.
Uh oh

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
was really not ready to hear Miley Cyrus doing a Nine Inch Nails song

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode is really dumb.

Last season was pretty weak compared to the non-Netflix episodes. Starting to get the feeling it shouldn't have been revived.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, those were all so awful.

What happened to this show?

I was digging the last episode and then it jumped like 20 sharks.

You don't get to pick and choose how far we've advanced in terms of certain technologies in a hypothetical future. If we've got videogames simulating real life to the point where you can have sex in Street Fighter, you're gonna have autonomous vehicles. Same with a future where you can analyze fucking brains to the point of replicating someone's consciousness and putting it into a children's toy.

The scary part about past seasons was that some of it was actually possible, but all of this is just so stupid.

If people are capable of fucking in video games, that's gonna make the news. You're gonna hear about it. Along with technology for basically replicating a person, and seemingly using that technology solely to boost the career of a pop star.

Also, the whole thing where the two teenage girls convince the body guard that they're mouse exterminators. What? Am I watching Black Mirror or a Disney Channel movie?

Last edited:

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like Striking vipers, it felt severely underwritten. They need to stop chasing San Junipero.

Smithereens on the other hand was pretty good. Andrew Scott is such a wonderful actor.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Just finished Striking Vipers. Can imagine the keyboard warriors have already sharpened their knives at this.

Thought it was fine though. I just want the old Black Mirror back.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I'm watching Striking Vipers right now, well more I'm trying to, and it's really boring. I think the episode should have been shorter and that it had nothing else to add after the first half.

I have to say, Black Mirror is not as good as it used to be; the two first seasons were excellent, but the fourth one.... Not that much.