• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Walker

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
England, United Kingdom
Is there any truth to this claim? Can anyone maybe show if the Kinect took photos of them during viewing the film? Anyone have a PS4 Camera that also did it?

tweet

Thanks!

EDIT: So I've asked around with some people I know who have both Kinect cameras and PlayStation cameras, and they have come back with negative results. I don't own an Xbox One, which is why I was asking around. It seems that this is a hoax. Lock the thread if you wish.

Last edited:

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with other replies so far. Saying "I'd share, but..." is almost the modern day "'My friend's uncle works for Nintendo and..."

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
"there's this bombastic thing happening right now no one else knows yet but me and i have evidence, but you know. i'll talk about it on the internet, but i cant show it!"

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
black mirror episode where they take your name you signed up as netflix and your name is integrated into the episode

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
That can't be true. If it was, well isn't that illegal? They'd have to ask the user first

I'm pretty sure owning a Kinect and using an Xbox One with internet completely voids the need for it to be legal. I assume Microsoft have a small print somewhere saying "Once used with Xbox One with an internet connection. we have right to use your image and likeness for marketing" or some shit like that. I just guarantee you that this is completely legal because they own a Kinect.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
II. New Thread Etiquette

Show some effort: It's wonderful that you want to start a discussion, but being the Original Poster carries some responsibility to start things off on the right foot. If you're going to create a thread, try to include more content and care than one or two short sentences. Consider whether the thread will generate good discussion, and scrutinize any sources you decide to cite. Try not to create new threads based on tweets, jokes, conspiracy theories, poor sources or yes/no questions. Consistently low quality threads may lead to your thread making privileges being revoked. Thread making privileges will be restored after 6 months, subject to a review by staff.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful.

Anyway Xbox has good privacy settings anyway so if its true then the user opted into it. There should be a os settings menu somewhere that you can decide what apps can access what features. Just like on mobile OSes.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to be too cynical but what do want us to discuss exactly? Has it actually happened or not?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel embarrassed for that guy on twitter because he just admitted that he still has his Kinect hooked up.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Immediately came to mind when reading this post.

maxresdefault.jpg

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I can confirm there is no truth to this claim. However, I am too embarrassed to provide any proof. Please credit me in your upcoming article.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
So, am I the only one thinking it's kind of cool if true? I'm assuming it's not going to others credits, just your own (or else you'd get some sexual stuff I'm sure). Reminds me of the mirror at Ripleys where everyone makes faces into it and later on in the house you realize people are watching you make the faces on the other end.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What reaction is there to be had? It's not a jump scare kind of show, calling fake on this one, kinect? really?

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'm not lugging out my kinect, but I'll try watching with my ps4 camera on. I can't imagine it would only be Kinect.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean in several states AND countries this is highly illegal without signing something or agreeing to something before viewing (maybe it's in Netflix's new TOS but unlikely) so yeah. Nah. This is clearly a lie.

Oct 25, 2017
Sceptical that Netflix would even be able to support that.

Tried looking into what Kinect can do and apparently it just supports the most basic voice commands, no gestures, and the Netflix app is mostly universal in features between platforms.

Plus that tweet is literally the only mention of this anywhere.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I wish there was a developer that used the heat mapping feature on kinect to make a horror game and use it to detect when it was best to scare the shit out of you. There would be so many viral videos and good times. It seems like most just used it for motion, audio and picture taking.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
There shouldn't be anything illegal about an app which has access to your camera taking pictures of you and displaying them. Why are multiple posters claiming this is somehow illegal? There's no claim of it sharing the photos with others without your permission.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Please tell me no one actually fell for this and thought that the producers of Black Mirror and Netflix decided to randomly develop for an accessory that has been dead for years.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Would seem weird for Microsoft to give an application like Netflix access to the camera either way. There's like no situation where it should be needed in an app made just for watching streamed video. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know because I never had a Kinect.

Status
Not open for further replies.