• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We are happy to announce that we are releasing our final big update to Black Mesa as a free 'Definitive Edition' update...Since March, we have worked to polish the game in terms of both art and design...

Highlights of the Definitive Edition

-Massive polish and art updates throughout the game
-Complete lighting and gameplay pass to the chapter "Power Up"
-Complete redesign of second "On A Rail" map (map B)
-Significant optimizations across the whole game that will improve performance on low to mid range PCs
-Outdoor art passes for "We've Got Hostiles", "On A Rail", "Questionable Ethics", "Surface Tension", and "Forget About Freeman"

full patch notes:
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/362890/view/2895214724133808811

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Huh! Glad I chose to wait until 2021 to finally play this with Xen. To think it's been 8 years since I played the mod...
I wonder what's next for that team. Perhaps console ports before moving on to a new game?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I ended up playing through this (and the entire Half-Life series) earlier this year in time for HL: Alyx release. Shame this wasn't out then but still awesome for future playthroughs.

Looking forward to a comparison vid on YouTube.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna finally buy this and play through it this Christmas

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
Static There it is, thanks. I'm not a software engineer but it blows my mind when features like this take forever to get implemented. I literally can't play the game through my Nvidia Shield due to this issue.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If anybody like me wants to play this, but doesn't have a PC, it has been added to GeForce NOW. You could always play it via Steam, but since August it has had native support
Static There it is, thanks. I'm not a software engineer but it blows my mind when features like this take forever to get implemented. I literally can't play the game through my Nvidia Shield due to this issue.
... but maybe not on a mobile device!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Don't sleep on this people. Game is amazing with some of the best OST ever.
I agree highly of the OST comment.

Even when the game was barely an alpha, the Joel Nielsen soundtrack was there, and it was awesome. Super haunting and atmospheric OST that fits the decaying nature of Black Mesa perfectly.

It's so good.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I bought this when they first offered a way to buy it. I've never gone all the way through, but it finally feels like time.

FaviousM

Aug 20, 2020
The most disappointing thing about this is that there isn't an HL: Opposing Force equivalent, I love that game almost as much as the original.

Will have to play through Black Mesa again though now

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
If anybody like me wants to play this, but doesn't have a PC, it has been added to GeForce NOW. You could always play it via Steam, but since August it has had native support

... but maybe not on a mobile device!

I'm a GeForce Now founder and that's how I intend to play the game. But I like my comfy couches, TVs and controllers hence why full controller support is critical. I can't get past the title screen if I play this through my Nvidia Shield. Overall, if games don't have full controller support they are a pain in the butt to play through the Shield TV.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm a GeForce Now founder and that's how I intend to play the game. But I like my comfy couches, TVs and controllers hence why full controller support is critical. I can't get past the title screen if I play this through my Nvidia Shield. Overall, if games don't have full controller support they are a pain in the butt to play through the Shield TV.
Same here. I was actually hoping to use this as an opportunity to try out the new iOS web app

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Oh gosh ahah, I played this earlier this year, perhaps should've waited a few months 😅

Lovely remake though, enjoyed it so much as a way to finally experience Half Life 1

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of the best games I've played this year!
And it only got better it seems - maybe I'll dip back in.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
If it's only to get past the menu, iirc you can use the shield mobile app like a trackpad from your phone.

Unrelated: does this cover the whole of the original base game now?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just picked this up. Not sure why I never got it before but now is def the right time. It look so damn good!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Black Mesa is terrific! Don't sleep on it!

So glad these devs finally finished their project after so long and it turned out great.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Last I dropped in about a year ago, the game looked a little bit dated. I don't know if that has been addressed.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I last played Black Mesa when it was a mod, lol.

Did they ever tone the blood and acid down? I remember it would get all over your guns and was incredibly over the top.

Jun 20, 2018
I need to play this now. I never played the first Half-Life, and always intended to play Source, but never got to that either.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era, this is basically a Valve-caliber remake. Easily one of the best fan games I've ever played.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
So I started my playthrough of this, just in time for this update, it seems.

I'm still not a fan of how tanky the marines are (tanking several bullets to the face, lol), but the game really does feel like "Half-Life as I remember it" so far. Only up to the Blast Pit sequence so we'll see how well the rest of the game holds up.