• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
I mean, Europe invented racism. I find it almost absurd that any European would think Europe is not racist.
Yes, racism was invented in Europe. Before that every other culture lived in peace and harmony. Europe like any other place on earth has problems, including racism. Also a big problem is the way people are looking at those coming from poorer eu countries.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Denmark is the only country out of the many European countries I've visited where my family and I experienced outright racism, so the disgusting comments people are mentioning/the cops judgment aren't surprising to me.

Hopefully, justice is served regardless. So tragic.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes, racism was invented in Europe. Before that every other culture lived in peace and harmony. Europe like any other place on earth has problems, including racism. Also a big problem is the way people are looking at those coming from poorer eu countries.

Cut this gross shit out. The modern view of light skin = superior absolutely came from Europe. Modern racism was indeed invented in Europe.

Karanlos

Oct 27, 2017
From reading the articles it seems that the victims friends say that they don't see the killing as racially motivated.

Even with them saying that I find it bongers that the police wouldn't investigate it further as racially motivated and then conclude something later when looking at the killers view points, past and tattoos.

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
it's mad that the Danish police can deny or even doubt there's racism involved. Why do you feel the media isn't going as hard on this? Especially as there is the current climate throughout the whole world of trying to discuss and understand these issues. Obviously it's racism and a lack of ability for the public to deal with it but is no media agency trying to be more activist in Denmark? Just take a stand.
Maybe cool down a little bit? To my knowledge the statement from the Danish police was that they had no evidence to suggest a racially motivated murder. That is not the same as denying it. For these cases in Denmark in general the police will not publicly ascribe motivation based on people's looks (a tattoo in this case). If you do not want a more polarized society, then not judging based on looks is probably the right thing to do.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I live in Denmark, the comment sections of various groups are flooded with Danes telling people to shut up about the racism angle and that people should just trust the police to do their work.
Well if Denmark is anything like USA, thankfully comment sections and twitter do not accurately depict the views of the majority.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come one. The history surrounding racism is bad enough without people actively making up lies.
White supremacy, which is the culture of racism the world currently operates under, was indeed invented in Europe, all as a justification for the slave trade.

Feb 1, 2018
Oh come one. The history surrounding racism is bad enough without people actively making up lies.

Lol excuse me? White euros are literally the ones that decided to enslave and colonize the "new world". What the fuck is this post? I hope it's sarcastic and I'm missing it

Im honestly tired of europe/scandinavia being constantly lionized as some woke utopia when time and time again it's shown to be among the most white supremacist places on earth

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
The only difference between Europe and America in regards of racism is how hard Europe is trying to hide it, but even then there are countries way way way more racist than America in Europe, a lot.

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Lol excuse me? White euros are literally the ones that decided to enslave and colonize the "new world". What the fuck is this post? I hope it's sarcastic and I'm missing it

Im honestly tired of europe/scandinavia being constantly lionized as some woke utopia when time and time again it's shown to be among the most white supremacist places on earth
And I'm personally tired of posts like this that make statements like "most white supremacists places on earth" without also providing a reasoned basis for that statement. On top of that I'm also not happy with the use of Euros - especially white Euros in a historical context. It seems neither of us get what we want from this type of discourse so let's improve it.

OP
OP
nillansan

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Well if Denmark is anything like USA, thankfully comment sections and twitter do not accurately depict the views of the majority.

Far right parties are gaining significant traction in Denmark and overt racism is getting more and more normalised, thanks to the majority. Last I checked shit was still severely fucked in the US, thanks to the majority.

Also this isn't only about the comment section, this is about the justice system and the media as well.

Feb 1, 2018
And I'm personally tired of posts like this that make statements like "most white supremacists places on earth" without also providing a reasoned basis for that statement. On top of that I'm also not happy with the use of Euros - especially white Euros in a historical context. It seems neither of us get what we want from this type of discourse so let's improve it.

This aint the hill you wanna die on chief

Go both sides somewhere else

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing racism over a series of posts, junior account
The only difference between Europe and America in regards of racism is how hard Europe is trying to hide it, but even then there are countries way way way more racist than America in Europe, a lot.
I don't agree with you and I find your view on this particularly destructive. There is plenty of racism in Europe, but I reject he idea that it is 1:1 equivalent with the American racisme. Plenty of racist aspects in Europe are affected by local factors and ignoring that by wholesale import of American movements, ideas and view on racism is so massively unhelpful that it is hard to overstate. At it's simplest a majority of the public will reject the notion of racism because the contextual framing applied is American and thus have a poor contextual fit for the racism in a European country.

OP
OP
nillansan

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

White supremacist movements are flourishing and thriving across Europe and read the fucking room, you can fuck right off with this "not all white europeans" bullshit.

anamika

May 18, 2018
As a woc I have lived and worked in both the US and Western Europe and Western Europe is definitely more racist than the US. Let's not even talk about Eastern Europe. I had a Romanian colleague during my graduate studies in the US who actually warned me not to ever work in Romania because it was such a racist place and that I would have a hard time.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Maybe cool down a little bit? To my knowledge the statement from the Danish police was that they had no evidence to suggest a racially motivated murder. That is not the same as denying it. For these cases in Denmark in general the police will not publicly ascribe motivation based on people's looks (a tattoo in this case). If you do not want a more polarized society, then not judging based on looks is probably the right thing to do.

I am sorry but I have to call BS on this comment.

Judging a person from their looks like being blonde or having a small nose is absolutely not the same as judging one by their tattoos.

The former is something they were born with while the latter might be ( actually IS for the incident we are discussing) a political statement.

Not every racist has hate tattoos but there is not a single non racist that has one.

The hate element should not be ruled out in this case.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I don't agree with you and I find your view on this particularly destructive. There is plenty of racism in Europe, but I reject he idea that it is 1:1 equivalent with the American racisme. Plenty of racist aspects in Europe are affected by local factors and ignoring that by wholesale import of American movements, ideas and view on racism is so massively unhelpful that it is hard to overstate. At it's simplest a majority of the public will reject the notion of racism because the contextual framing applied is American and thus have a poor contextual fit for the racism in a European country.
Ok I understand what you are saying, can you please iluminate me and give some examples of the different aspects that are factors for racism in Europe and can you please let me know what are the difference with racism in America?

OP
OP
nillansan

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Not true. Majority disapprove of our president. We have a rigged election system that favors the Republican party. So they can win with millions less votes.

It is true though, just look at the state of your country. White fragility, the complacency of the white majority and the will to fuck over marginalised groups if it benefits the white majority is what impedes all progress - both in Europe and the US.

Again, this isn't only about the comment sections, this is about the justice system and how the media portrays the murder.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It is true though, just look at the state of your country. White fragility, the complacency of the white majority and the will to fuck over marginalised groups if it benefits the white majority is what impedes all progress - both in Europe and the US.

Again, this isn't only about the comment sections, this is about the justice system and how the media portrays the murder.
Yup

OP
OP
nillansan

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Plenty of racist aspects in Europe are affected by local factors and ignoring that by wholesale import of American movements, ideas and view on racism is so massively unhelpful that it is hard to overstate. At it's simplest a majority of the public will reject the notion of racism because the contextual framing applied is American and thus have a poor contextual fit for the racism in a European country.

Address your white fragility, work on it, it'll make you see things clearer. Your post comes across as one massive racist ass dog whistle.

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao 'judging based on looks' is not the same as judging someone based on a white power tattoo and two Nazi tattoos, come on mate.

I also fail to see how it would polarise society to say this.

It's not just some wild, baseless assumption that when someone with white power tattoos and Nazi tattoos kills a black man, it's racially motivated and to say there's no evidence despite those tattoos is ridiculous.

Also, my post was entirely calm, I'm not sure how you took the implication otherwise.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The only way racism is different in our #1 most racist (out of the ~15 (mostly western/Nordic) EU countires measured) EU country, Finland, is that police don't generally (ever?) shoot black people when they are just walking outside their home picking up the post/returning home from the store in the suburbs, and as racist as we are on average, black people's trust in the police here is actually fairly high (something like 70-80%)! Otherwise it's the same systematic racism + violence from white supremacists/racists + slurs & other shitty behaviour towards POC in public. It might have some local flavour, but the underlying racism is still the same, and probably about as common (if not more so).

OP
OP
nillansan

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

Oh, this is exactly what the racists in the comments sections are writing. Given your other "contributions" in this thread it isn't surprising to see you downplay the hate crime angle.

Oct 25, 2017
Are all these "gotcha Europeans!!" really appropriate? A man has been killed.
There's a whole lot of gotcha to go around for how many Europeans blatantly lied on their countries' racism and extensive anti blackness for the last decade+ in black people's faces on the internet. Hopefully this shit can be put to rest now.

It's just so funny to me how this keeps getting proven over and over again. This is a sad ass post.

Jan 11, 2019
Ok I understand what you are saying, can you please iluminate me and give some examples of the different aspects that are factors for racism in Europe and can you please let me know what are the difference with racism in America?

I'll give you one (pls read below)

Address your white fragility, work on it, it'll make you see things clearer. Your post comes across as one massive racist ass dog whistle.

While that may be the case (don't know that Person), let me make a personal example:

- I'm 30 somethin, grew up in a smallish town. I had lots of kids from eastern europe in my school. Not a single PoC in my school or friends circle.
- I grew up in a family that heavily opposes racism, I love my parents dearly and they raised me as a man who not only opposes racism, but tries to fight it.
- Where I grew up, there were, as stated, few PoC. We were told so mostly stay away from the few that there were because they were often linked to a nigerian drug cartel. How true that is or was, I do not know.
- In my quiet Little town, we'd have people wearing visible racist insignias or zattoos hanging out near the train station. Never questioned or taken away by the police.
- Today, I work with refugees, and other people in less fortunate situations, many of them are PoC. I, honestly, from the Bottom of my heart, can say that I hate nothing in this world more than racism.
- Now here's the catch: When I walk down the street, I get tapped on the shoulder, I turn around and see a black man, my mind goes into alert mode. I then, realize how stupid that is and come back to reality.

How fukked up is that, I ask? How racist is that? And does it seem like the same kind of racism you have in the US? The mistrust towards the black person is so deeply ingrained into our stupid european heads that it's quite hard to turn it off. Even when you're actively opposed to racism. How I see racism in the us is different. There, it seems to me, we have a more systematic approach to racism that has been rotting and festering deep in the bowels of your political system ever since slavery was introduced. My parents didn't even often see a PoC in the streets of that small town until I was born...

In many ways, racism in europe is more problematic, in many ways it's different. But one thing seems clear to me, europe is deeply, deeply racist.

Anyway that's my 2 Cents.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
From reading the articles it seems that the victims friends say that they don't see the killing as racially motivated.

Even with them saying that I find it bongers that the police wouldn't investigate it further as racially motivated and then conclude something later when looking at the killers view points, past and tattoos.

What is their reasoning and logic behind such an assertion, and for that matter, what are the police claiming was the motivation in the first place?

zon

Oct 28, 2017
White supremacy, which is the culture of racism the world currently operates under, was indeed invented in Europe, all as a justification for the slave trade.

It wasn't invented to be a justifaction for slavery, Europeans had enslaved other Europeans for over 2000 years so they had no qualms about using other people as slaves too. White supremacy did come about because of the trans atlantic slave trade but it wasn't used as a justification to begin with because no-one (at least no-one in power) thought slavery was bad. Slavery was thought of as something normal until the late 1600s or early 1700s. The idea of white supremacy was used to defend/justify slavery when more and more people in Europe wanted to ban the slave trade in the 1700s but the idea had existed for over a century by that time.

It's just a minor difference from what you said and I don't know if I've been able to properly describe it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
White supremacy did come about because of the trans atlantic slave trade but it wasn't used as a justification to begin with because no-one (at least no-one in power) thought slavery was bad.
Plenty of people thought slavery was bad, through all stratas of society. Abolition has always gone hand-in-hand with the existence of slavery. The ending of slavery was a matter of the practice becoming economically untenable, from which then it followed that it was easier to make the moral argument. Because that's kind of how this shit goes; people gotta lose money first.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
White supremacy wasn't justification for slavery, it was justification for colonialism in all of its forms (taking & sharing our Civilized High Culture to the Uncivilized Barbaric Others all around the world, while exploiting those Others & their lands).

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people thought slavery was bad, through all stratas of society. Abolition has always gone hand-in-hand with the existence of slavery. The ending of slavery was a matter of the practice becoming economically untenable, from which then it followed that it was easier to make the moral argument. Because that's kind of how this shit goes; people gotta lose money first.
*Throws a cool billy to the LAPD*

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Can hate crime get much clearer than that?
The only way racism is different in our #1 most racist (out of the ~15 (mostly western/Nordic) EU countires measured) EU country, Finland, is that police don't generally (ever?) shoot black people when they are just walking outside their home picking up the post/returning home from the store in the suburbs, and as racist as we are on average, black people's trust in the police here is actually fairly high (something like 70-80%)! Otherwise it's the same systematic racism + violence from white supremacists/racists + slurs & other shitty behaviour towards POC in public. It might have some local flavour, but the underlying racism is still the same, and probably about as common (if not more so).
Not sure if we're talking about the same study, but black people (Somalian to be specific) do trust police here less than Finnish and other language groups (Russian, Estonian, English and Arabic). On the scale from 1-10, Somalian's trust is at 6.8, while for Finnish speakers it's 7.6. Intrestingly it's clearly the highest for Arabic at 8.8. Though for every other institution like healthcare, banks, unions, media and education, Somalians have even more trust than native Finnish speakers. Also for politicians to do something good.

This doesn't change that Finland has a lot of very vocal racists and getting insulted, threatened or even attacked in every day situations is sadly not that uncommon. Discrimination in hiring towards black and brown people is also extremely blatant.

e2.fi

Tutkimus kertoo: Ulkomaalaistaustaiset luottavat kantasuomalaisiin enemmän kuin lähtömaansa ihmisiin

Viittä kieliryhmää koskeva ainutlaatuinen tutkimus kertoo, että ulkomaalaistaustaiset luottavat kantasuomaalaisiin enemmän kuin omasta lähtömaasta tuleviin....

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
White supremacy wasn't justification for slavery, it was justification for colonialism in all of its forms (taking & sharing our Civilized High Culture to the Uncivilized Barbaric Others all around the world, while exploiting those Others & their lands).
True that; I'm admittedly being too narrow.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Smarmy Europeans keep trying to act like racism is only an American problem. Ya'll better wake up.

Shit is digusting. RIP Philip.

Europe is not a single country btw, in case your stars & stripes education system has failed you.
That said, Denmark has always been a shithole of racism. Doesn't mean that "europe" is the same.

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, this is exactly what the racists in the comments sections are writing. Given your other "contributions" in this thread it isn't surprising to see you downplay the hate crime angle.
Given that:
  1. The suspects knew the victim;
  2. The relations between the suspects and the victim has been characterized as friends;
  3. The suspect and the victims are understood to be on good terms when they have communicated;
  4. That there was a personal disagreement between victim and the suspects.
Maybe there is a good reason why the police do not immediately ascribe the murder as racially motivated?

In Denmark the police is not supposed to speculate - they are supposed to state facts, especially to the press. Using a tattoo as a basis for ascribing the reasoning behind a murder is incredibly reductive especially when the police know of preexisting grievances between the involved parties.

It seems likely that at least one of the suspects is a racist, and a generally unpleasant personality. That does not mean that everything he does is rooted in that.