• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I see this sentiment a lot, even on this forum, and it confuses me. Usually as a defense when someone claims they don't want a discussion or topic to be too "political" when they discuss Black Lives Matter, LGBT Pride, etc.

Person A: "This company should say Black Lives Matter."
Person B: "I don't want politics in my XYZ."
Person C: "Black Lives Matter isn't a political issue!"

What is politics except a constant tug of war against the powers that be for who gets to have liberties, rights, freedom, and equality (or who doesn't)? This line of defense makes no sense on its face. Having an opinion on these issues, good or bad, or not having an opinion is a political stance. I guess the idea is that it shouldn't be political, but that's not the world we live in. It shouldn't be a dirty word or taboo for something to be "political" though. It doesn't say anything descriptive about whether that is a good or bad thing.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I think people from "both sides" say this, but with different intent. People on the left tend to use this rhetoric as an attempt to bypass "traditional" politics in order to appeal to humanity and decency. The other half use it to disregard something entirely because they believe it has an "agenda". My guess is that they're either a racist shitbag or too uncomfortable dealing with reality.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've literally had people tell me that Nazism isn't a political opinion

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is political. Nazis are political. The difference is whether we as a society accept certain political views as valid or not. Whether some lives are worth more than others, whether some are worth anything at all. It's all political. But claiming it's just a mere political difference in opinion exposes your arse.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
This is all politics and pretending it isn't masks the actual fight going on. There is deep rooted, institutional racism in governments and fighting the economic and political elites to change this is going to be political.

Why is it not? Being morally correct does not define what a political opinion is.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything is political. To say that you want to be non-political or avoid politics just means that you're willing to accept the current state of society and you don't want to confront it's ugly truths.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everything is politics, that's what a society is. I think the issue is that alot of people confuse politics with partidism.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
The reason why people on the left phrase it that way is because the goal is to silence all dissent on the matter; black lives and black rights isn't a topic for people to have opinions on, or to be debated. It must be true. And if it isn't, it must become true. This is our way of making sure that the worst of these racist idiots don't have any voice or legitimacy in a conversation that shouldn't ever be up for debate or that they should have a voice in.

It's not that it isn't a matter that's got political weight and attention, it obviously does. it's to make the statement that it should never have been up for debate to begin with and that anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking idiot

Oct 25, 2017
When everything is something, nothing is. It stops being a meaningful label because the whole purpose of labels is help identify from the all. So if you believe everything is political then you should just stop using the term at all, it serves no purpose, PoliEra is just ResetEra. There's also the argument that just because people use the same words doesn't mean they have the same meaning (in fact if you think about it, they never do) and that tends to sail over a lot of heads, nobody actually has ownership over definitions.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
thinking that "black people should not be murdered out of nowhere" should not be a political issue
But everything PRATICAL to do about it is political

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Saying it isn't "political" seems like a purely rhetorical trick to get people to stop doing that shit where they tiptoe around politics.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because those ("keep politics out of my games") people don't see privileged groups as political. A male protagonist isn't political. A heterosexual couple in a game isn't political. Only women and minorities are. It's just an argument to keep women and minorities in their place. They see the pleas for representation as unnecessary and uncomfortable, so they try to shuffle into something separate from their hobby. So when people say that, they're just trying to shut down those tired bigoted arguments by saying "we exist just like you, this isn't controversial or something that should be disputed". I think it's just as simple as that, though I get where you're coming from.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So when people say that, they're just trying to shut down those tired bigoted arguments by saying "we exist just like you, this isn't controversial or something that should be disputed". I think it's just as simple as that, though I get where you're coming from.

Yeah I totally get that. I know not all marginalized people wants to think of their existence and their right to equality and freedom as a political stance or opinion, and framing the world through those lens might be exhausting for some.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017

Not exactly in vein of this thread but even on non-political Reddit subs you see the defense of Nazis framed as it's just "another ideology" and a "difference of opinion". The hoops people go through to justify its existence is staggering.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It comes from people trying to avoid the "I don't talk politics" stigma we have in the US. Certain people do not want to talk anything to do with politics, and those that wish to call it out try to say that it isn't political to skirt around that issue. My thoughts are that instead of saying it isn't political, we should talk politics a whole lot more than we do. We shouldn't avoid political talks because it might make someone feel uncomfortable. Your political opinion isn't something that is only for yourself, that only affects you. What you stand for and who you vote for has repercussions throughout society.

"Black lives matter/human rights/equality isn't political!" shouldn't be the statement. It is political. We should instead say that it shouldn't be an issue at all, but since it is we have to get to work to fix it.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It comes from people trying to avoid the "I don't talk politics" stigma we have in the US. Certain people do not want to talk anything to do with politics, and those that wish to call it out try to say that it isn't political to skirt around that issue. My thoughts are that instead of saying it isn't political, we should talk politics a whole lot more than we do. We shouldn't avoid political talks because it might make someone feel uncomfortable. Your political opinion isn't something that is only for yourself, that only affects you. What you stand for and who you vote for has repercussions throughout society.

"Black lives matter/human rights/equality isn't political!" shouldn't be the statement. It is political. We should instead say that it shouldn't be an issue at all, but since it is we have to get to work to fix it.

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel. You're right though that talking "politics" is still fairly taboo in the US, even in these hyper-polarized times.