• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
How is BLMF still registered as a nonprofit organization if the organization hasn't done anything?

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, how many cups of coffee with a cop can you get with Millions of donated dollars????

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like blacklivesmatter.com is the legit one, and the foundation is a gofundme one that was not part of that thread mentioned earlier. Right?

data

Oct 25, 2017
If you donated to Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation you donated to a different organisation, but one that (IMO) is still very unclear about where its money goes.

Yeah, both of them were unclear to begin with.

Now, it can be seen that Black Lives Matter Foundation was a scam charity and the other we're still not transparent on.

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
I was watching a video just a few days ago about how BLM fucks over local charities. And now they are doing this bullshit?
304v.gif

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read the previous thread and didn't really understand, but this makes it pretty clear.

Black Lives Matter Global Network is the real one and doesn't accept donations (?), and the Black Lives Matter Foundation is the grifting scam charity for high tea with pigs.

Considering it took me this long to understand the difference it's no wonder people were throwing money at these fucks.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I read the previous thread and didn't really understand, but this makes it pretty clear.

Black Lives Matter Global Network is the real one and doesn't accept donations (?), and the Black Lives Matter Foundation is the grifting scam charity for high tea with pigs.

Considering it took me this long to understand the difference it's no wonder people were throwing money at these fucks.
BLMGN does accept donations but I think there's issues on their transparency as well.

BLMF is just a straight-up scam charity.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Cross posting from the other thread... but I wish folks would push all these organizations to be transparent as Kaepernick's donations.

---
I was hoping most would have something like what Kaepernick did during his Million Dollar Pledge.

Each month... charities in that month got breakdowns in where the money is going.

Here's the list of the months.

kaepernick7.com

Million Dollar Pledge

Like this.

LOWER EAST SIDE GIRLS CLUB | NEW YORK CITY

AMOUNT: $33,000

This donation will specifically pay for:

• GALA Stipends: $7,500 ($250 x 30)
  • Power of Peace Toolkits (125 youth designed educational toolkit w/ resources): $3,000
  • Transportation to the Women's Convention in Detroit (October): $2,500 ($350 x 6)
  • Women's Convention Food & Lodging: $1,500
  • Transportation to The Teen Vogue Summit in LA (December): $1,800 ($300 x 6)
  • Teen Vogue Summit Food & Lodging in LA: $1,000
  • Materials & Supplies (screen paints, t-shirts, posters, banners etc.): $5,000
  • Equipment: $3,000 (video camera and microphone kits for WGRL)
  • General Transportation: $1,700 (for local field trips)
  • Occupancy/Usage/utilities Fees: $6,000 (Rent, Utilities)
For more action, check out their website: www.girlsclub.org

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
"Let's bring the cops and black communities together by buying brand new squad cars, and removing Punisher stickers and putting BLM stickers instead."

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
So, if I'm clear on this...

If you donated to BLM through the official website www.blacklivesmatter.com, your money went to the right group (although, they still have transparency issues to address).

If, however, you've donated through any other channels that weren't affiliated with "Black Lives Matter Global Network" or "ActBlue" (the company that actually handles the donations for BLM)...then 'You are already scammed.'

I think I have that right?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use this thread to ask for some links to proper organizations to whom I can give money? I really want my money to go into good hands.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

If you donated to BLM through the official website www.blacklivesmatter.com, your money went to the right group (although, they still have transparency issues to address).

If, however, you've donated through any other channels that weren't affiliated with "Black Lives Matter Global Network" or "ActBlue" (the company that actually handles the donations for BLM)...then 'You are already scammed.'

Thousand Currents handles BLM donations.

thousandcurrents.org

In Solidarity. We raise our voices. - Thousand Currents

To the Black organizers around the country leading the charge for change in this moment, we are with you, and […]

Can I use this thread to ask for some links to proper organizations to whom I can give money? I really want my money to go into good hands.

Best to donate locally. That's where your $$$ will have the biggest impact.

Pick a local bail fund. Check with local activists. Call local churches and ask for references.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

thousandcurrents.org

To the Black organizers around the country leading the charge for change in this moment, we are with you, and […]

Pick a local bail fund. Check with local activists. Call local churches and ask for references.
Wait...so ActBlue is partnered with the scam BLM?

What about the website then?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I think so? I donated and my emails form them with an ActBlue link for additional donations (plus a lot of copy and a video interview, which seems like a lot of work for a scam). I donated through the big list of donations that was going around on Twitter so if you used that you should be good.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
When large companies just donate to whatever the f*ck it makes it pretty clear how much they really care.

and yeah...wtf is up with giving people shit for just questioning some concerns about a "non profit"? There are a ton of very shitty non profits out there, people don't need to be harassed for their concerns .

data

Oct 25, 2017
When large companies just donate to whatever the f*ck it makes it pretty clear how much they really care.
This time I feel it's not the company fault as others have donated to the foundation out of not exactly knowing about it.

It's all about having transparency and sadly it turns out that this was one of the outliers / bad charities

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

thousandcurrents.org

This is sorta false. Act Blue IS the software company that handled donations through the "official" BLM national website.

Thousand Currents IS connected with the same BLM, but the question is how the donations on the official website are being handled.

Act Blue is the same company that handles donations for virtually every major left organization and candidate in the US.

data

Oct 25, 2017
This is false. Act Blue IS the software company that handled donations through the "official" BLM national website.
I think that confused a lot of people. The terms and agreements on the actblue page.

I think there are still a lot of questions on the BLM website since I don't think they ever mention they're a 501c charity

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is false. Act Blue IS the software company that handled donations through the "official" BLM national website.

From Thousand Currents:
Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. (BLM) is a home to Black folks and our global allies, as we demand a world where Black people are liberated. Founded in 2013 by Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza, and Opal Tometi, BLM is a chapter-based, member-led organization with chapters in the U.S., UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate White supremacy and build power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes through its educational and charitable activities. We support the lives of the Black queer and transgender communities, the disabled, those with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives. The affirmation that Black Lives Matter has resonated all over the globe and is expanding. For more information please visit: blacklivesmatter.com

In 2016, BLM Global Network approached Thousand Currents to create a fiscal sponsorship agreement. Thousand Currents, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization, provides the legal and administrative framework to enable BLM to fulfill its mission. Fiscal sponsorship is a common structure utilized by nonprofit organizations. Oftentimes, nonprofit initiatives seek fiscal sponsorship to be able to have the fiscal sponsor handle administrative operations while the organization focuses on its programs and builds up its own organizational infrastructure. In this capacity, we provide administrative and back office support, including finance, accounting, grants management, insurance, human resources, legal and compliance. Donations to BLM are received as restricted donations to support the activities of BLM. Thousand Currents audits can be found here.

They were also cited in the Buzzfeed News piece.

If you're making a large donation, you want it to go through a 501(c)(3) so it is tax deductible (allowing you to max out the donation). If you just donate directly to BLM (not a charity) the taxman takes a lot more.

data

Oct 25, 2017
From Thousand Currents:

If you're making a large donation, you want it to go through a 501(c)(3) so it is tax deductible (allowing you to max out the donation). If you just donate directly to BLM (not a charity) the taxman takes a lot more.
The problem that I still have with Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation is that I can't tell if it's a charity or not. Even the Thousand Currents states its a charity but the site: blacklivesmatters.com makes no mention that it's a charity.

They are also probably earning a lot of funds but there hasn't been any transparency on where it is going and how it's being used.

Oct 27, 2017
Can the thread title be updated to emphasis the distinction between the Black Lives Matter Foundation and Black Lives Matter? I know BLM still has transparency issues, but without a closer look, people might assume the entirety of BLM is a scam from the title.

Either way, this is a fucking mess.

Edit: Do you have to report a thread for a title change request? And if so, is reporting a thread just reporting post #1?

data

Oct 25, 2017
This is like donating to "Antifa". BLM isn't an organization.

Glad I donated to bail funds.
The problem with this is that not many people are aware of it.

They would just google BLM and find certain sites pop up first thing and donate there. That's the unfortunate reality that people are willing to donate for the cause but might not completely research ( because not everyone has the time ).

data

Oct 25, 2017
Can the thread title be updated to emphasis the distinction between the Black Lives Matter Foundation and Black Lives Matter? I know BLM still has transparency issues, but without a closer look, people might assume the entirety of BLM is a scam from the title.

Either way, this is a fucking mess.

Edit: Do you have to report a thread for a title change request? And if so, is reporting a thread just reporting post #1?
Yeah, report for a title change on post#1.

Don't donate to organizations that don't tell you exactly where the money goes.
Sadly, even the Global Network ( blacklivesmatter.com ) doesn't have this sort of transparency.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is like donating to "Antifa". BLM isn't an organization.

Glad I donated to bail funds.
Agreed, but more and more I'm starting to think there really need to be.
The amount of confusion that is going on here is insane, and weird grifters are trying to attach themselves to these protests.
Maybe it's not as bad everywhere, but Seattle's local media is pretty much dead, and you have all these organization with "original" and "real" in the name, and most of them has people I never heard of and can't find shit about.

I was tricked into marching with the mayor. And I'm not even saying you can't march with the mayor, but I didn't want to, and it wasn't clear to me she would be there. Though making it a silent march should have probably hinted me.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Right, which is why I've been donating to other organizations.
This is good for you, but for the layman, they're going to just google and donate to the first organization that shows up.

There needs to be a call for transparency as well as making sure others are informed

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
This is good for you, but for the layman, they're going to just google and donate to the first organization that shows up.

There needs to be a call for transparency as well as making sure others are informed
Absolutely. Everyone should look for records or the judgement of impartial entities (like Charity Navigator) before they donate to an organization.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Everyone should look for records or the judgement of impartial entities (like Charity Navigator) before they donate to an organization.
This would be great if people were aware of it.

Most of the time, people just don't have time / take the time to do the research. I know I need to start doing more research before donating going forward

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Thousand Currents:

No I get that. Act Blue is just how they process the payment if they go to blacklivesmatter.com.

(I can't tell if everyone follows me or not)