• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I stumbled across this Twitter thread, detailing some racist murder cases of German police forces.
This is the first time I see someone doing it in this format in English, and as a German I want this to blow up.

ACAB, never mind the country!

Just four of them, you can read more here too: https://threader.app/thread/1268107271210295296

EDIT: The thread is still being updated (and I am aware that not all victims are black, but they're all POC)

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for the past few days. This is not a social issue exclusive to the United States. Police killings and general racism towards black communities in Europe, especially in the UK is still a huge issue. Reading some of the comments on Era from Europeans who seem to think they have a right to pretend racism isn't 'as bad' in their countries or they're better than the US is infuriating.

OP
OP
GTAce

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I've been saying this for the past few days. This is not a social issue exclusive to the United States. Police killings and general racism towards black communities in Europe, especially in the UK is still a huge issue. Reading some of the comments on Era from Europeans who seem to think they have a right to pretend racism isn't 'as bad' in their countries or they're better than the US is infuriating.
Yep, it's a global issue.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. People need to realise that police brutality is an issue everywhere. A brilliant interview on the matter in the UK:

Black lives matter.

Jun 10, 2018
Unfortunately anti-blackness is a global issue and is quite honestly the most impactful export of white supremacy still persisting today.

There's a reason virtually every nation has adopted the derogatory slur for black people in their language, even in ones with little to no interpersonal exposure.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Structuralism racism is a problem in the whole world. Here too public racism and bigotry is no longer frowned upon as much as it was 10 years ago. Speaking for Belgium, police brutalities happen but not in the same magnitude and frequency as in the United States. POC will get controlled, singled out and arrested more, but I think they do not have to fear for their lives (as in getting killed) on a daily basis (saying this as a 35-year old white priviliged guy, so it's an assumption). Due to gun control the police can't use the excuse that they were (thinking they) reaching for a fireweapon as deliberately as they can in the US. I do believe that the fact that almost nobody is carrying here sets the tension bar during police interventions much, much lower. I'm not implying that everybody carries guns in the US, but it seems that is always a possibility, here it's more an exception. If the police gets called for a domestic disturbance they can be pretty sure there will be no guns on the scene.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Police as an entity, not good. Dump it in the garbage.
What would happen without the police? I have my fair share with issues regarding government or police, but I think the police in germany is decent.

Of course this doesn't excuse the incidents and murder of the people OP listed and as every country we have a racism issue. We should do better and stop racism.

But I think police is necessary or criminals would do what they want and furthermore more people would be criminal.

Just to clarify, you can look at my post history. I am disgusted about what the police is doing, especially in america at the moment and I think officers who cross the line need to be treated like the criminals they are. But I think just dumping police in the garbage isn't the solution for the issue. Not every cop is a criminal.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I agree, although living in the UK, I don't think the issue of police treatment can be reduced to being mainly a 'black' issue. The Muslim community in particular here also suffers a lot of ill treatment from the authorities, and of course refugees, asylum seekers, and the gypsy community are particularly ill treated. I do think there is nuance to each of these situations, but I don't think here the conversation should be more expansive in general.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What would happen without the police? I have my fair share with issues regarding government or police, but I think the police in germany is decent.

Of course this doesn't excuse the incidents and murder of the people OP listed and as every country we have a racism issue. We should do better and stop racism.

But I think police is necessary or criminals would do what they want and furthermore more people would be criminal.

Just to clarify, you can look at my post history. I am disgusted about what the police is doing, especially in america at the moment and I think officers who cross the line need to be treated like the criminals they are. But I think just dumping police in the garbage isn't the solution for the issue. Not every cop is a criminal.

Verso

Verso Books is the largest independent, radical publishing house in the English-speaking world.
Here's a good (free) book explaining the role of police and what protection could look like without them.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Some news idiot in the states here, I can't remember which, made fun of the international protests by saying "They didn't even know George!"

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Racism exists everywhere and is definitely a problem in law enforcement in Europe as well. The amount of people being killed by police in the US are many times higher though so I think it is fair to say that there are similarities but also a lot that is different when comparing Europe to the US.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
As a European myself I agree. Racism is everywhere, pretending otherwise is just stupid. The only thing that I do think is worse in America is police brutality. Or at least a lot more common. Probably a consequence of America glorifying guns and war so much.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Structural racism is a huge issue everywhere but police brutality is definitely way worse in the US compared to other western developed nations.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People need to realise that police brutality is an issue everywhere. A brilliant interview on the matter in the UK:

Black lives matter.

It was indeed a good one. Emily Maitlis, as good as her monologue was re. Dom Cummings, just looked hopelessly out of depth on this matter here.

Dave at the Brits was bang on the money when he said, during his performance, "the least racist is still racist".

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Two of my best mates are cops in Hamburg and they are some of the most friendly and open people you could ever imagine, but yes, parts of the police in Germany are rotten as well. It is not nearly as bad as in the States but everyone knows that there is plenty of room for improvement.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
As a European myself I agree. Racism is everywhere, pretending otherwise is just stupid. The only thing that I do think is worse in America is police brutality. Or at least a lot more common. Probably a consequence of America glorifying guns and war so much.
I think that's fair to say and this may be a consequence of glorifying guns. What could play into this aswell is the time needed to study to become a officer. The time is significantly shorter in america than in german* and in germany you need to do several tests like psychological tests to see how you would behave being a officer.

I don't know how this works in america and the system in germany isn't perfect. Far from it. But my point is having a longer process in choosing the people you educate as police officers and having a longer study time helps imo.

* I can't speak for other countries, because I don't know how long it takes in Belgium for example.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Racism exists everywhere and is definitely a problem in law enforcement in Europe as well. The amount of people being killed by police in the US are many times higher though so I think it is fair to say that there are similarities but also a lot that is different when comparing Europe to the US.

Structural racism is a huge issue everywhere but police brutality is definitely way worse in the US compared to other western developed nations.

Don't get me wrong, I get that there are differences and it's not a 1:1 comparison, but I don't really think the distinction matters anyway. POC are getting shat on by the authorities that are meant to protect them everywhere. How brutal one state's police forces act compared to another doesn't really come into it for me because the end result is effectively the same.

It's also 'worse' in the US comparatively due to the police being more heavily armed and there being more black people and other minorities. But there's a reason why even in the UK, the black community has an extremely volatile relationship with the police. The Brixton Riots in 1981 and the 2011 Riots are testament to that.

I agree, although living in the UK, I don't think the issue of police treatment can be reduced to being mainly a 'black' issue. The Muslim community in particular here also suffers a lot of ill treatment from the authorities, and of course refugees, asylum seekers, and the gypsy community are particularly ill treated. I do think there is nuance to each of these situations, but I don't think here the conversation should be more expansive in general.

It should be, with you on that one.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In Germany a big problem, which most Germans don't even realize, is the extreme racial profiling used by our police. Sure, our police force may not be as abusive as in the US (in 2018 guns were only shot 56 times at humans, 11 people were killed and 34 injured. Source: https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2019-07/polizei-gewalt-waffen-schusswaffen-statistik )

But we have so many TV shows showing police officers during their patrols and the amount of minorities involved in the "incidents" during those shows is staggering.

I watched one called the "bicycle cops" the other day and there were only 2 situations involving Germans and both got away with a warning. Especially one of the first moments truly showed how bad it is, as they stopped a black man and he immediately stripped down to his underwear, probably as a response, because he got frisked often already.

There was also one situation, where a German woman was parked on the bicycle lane and the officers simply told her she should "move soon", but just kept going normally, yet later in that same episode an asian looking man with a number plate from the Netherlands was parked on a bicycle lane and the officers stopped and said that they will not leave until he drove away. The insane part is, that even though it is produced by a left-leaning media Organization (Spiegel), it was not pointed out even once by the reporters. Here is the youtube link in case anyone wants to see for themselves:
youtu.be

Kölner Fahrrad-Cops: Drahtesel gegen Dealer (SPIEGEL TV Reportage)

Unermüdlich jagen die Kölner Polizeibeamten Ralph Jochheim und Markus Mertens Verkehrssünder auf zwei und vier Rädern - aber auch Fußgänger haben sie im Visi...

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Verso

Verso Books is the largest independent, radical publishing house in the English-speaking world.
Here's a good (free) book explaining the role of police and what protection could look like without them.

Thanks for this!

I've been thinking a lot about this and what society can actually do. Off hand, instead of funding the police, we could probably shift those resources to magnify the numbers and capabilities of social workers and what they can do for outreach, to curb and prevent people from becoming criminals in the first place.

Jul 9, 2019
Properly prosecuting police officers in Germany is difficult and there are definitely problems, especially during large events like football or demonstrations. There is also a number of fascists living out their power fantasy as police officers, but shouting "ACAB" in Germany is pretty ludicrous. The cases described in the op are reprehensible and I don't doubt that there are police officers that are racist, but we don't live in a police state and there's no systematic police brutality towards minorities.

Liha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Salzburg, Austria
User banned (permanent): racism
In Germany a big problem, which most Germans don't even realize, is the extreme racial profiling used by our police. Sure, our police force may not be as abusive as in the US (in 2018 guns were only shot 56 times at humans, 11 people were killed and 34 injured. Source: https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2019-07/polizei-gewalt-waffen-schusswaffen-statistik )

But we have so many TV shows showing police officers during their patrols and the amount of minorities involved in the "incidents" during those shows is staggering.

I watched one called the "bicycle cops" the other day and there were only 2 situations involving Germans and both got away with a warning. Especially one of the first moments truly showed how bad it is, as they stopped a black man and he immediately stripped down to his underwear, probably as a response, because he got frisked often already.

There was also one situation, where a German woman was parked on the bicycle lane and the officers simply told her she should "move soon", but just kept going normally, yet later in that same episode an asian looking man with a number plate from the Netherlands was parked on a bicycle lane and the officers stopped and said that they will not leave until he drove away. The insane part is, that even though it is produced by a left-leaning media Organization (Spiegel), it was not pointed out even once by the reporters. Here is the youtube link in case anyone wants to see for themselves:
youtu.be

Unermüdlich jagen die Kölner Polizeibeamten Ralph Jochheim und Markus Mertens Verkehrssünder auf zwei und vier Rädern - aber auch Fußgänger haben sie im Visi...
Racial profiling is quite successful at least here in Germany/Austria and that's why not even the Spiegel complains.The vast majority of drug dealers for example are from north Africa or the Middle East.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Racial profiling is quite successful at least here in Germany/Austria and that's why not even the Spiegel complains.The vast majority of drug dealers for example are from north Africa or the Middle East.

I'm not sure if that's true tbh. Seem more like a myth. There are PLENTY of Germany drug dealers all over the place.
But yeah, from my personal experience I can tell that there is racial profiling...

Properly prosecuting police officers in Germany is difficult and there are definitely problems, especially during large events like football or demonstrations. There is also a number of fascists living out their power fantasy as police officers, but shouting "ACAB" in Germany is pretty ludicrous. The cases described in the op are reprehensible and I don't doubt that there are police officers that are racist, but we don't live in a police state and there's no systematic police brutality towards minorities.

While I mostly agree the German police still has a racism problem. According to this article since 1993 a total of 138 poc died in police custody. https://www.volksverpetzer.de/aktuelles/schwarz-sein/
Yes it is comparatively low but these are still 138 deaths.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019

youtu.be

Holy shit at that "54 shots fired in 2018" for all of Germany's PD. Something's rotten in the state of Drumpf.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
They fucking lit Oury Jalloh on fire in his cell. He was tied down. They just turned the cameras off and burned. him. to. death. They beat him up fierce before. Zero fucking consequences. Court didn't give a fuck.
There is tons of nazis in German police forces. Fuck outta this thread if you even think of pretending we don't have these problems here, Hans.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
They fucking lit Oury Jalloh on fire in his cell. He was tied down. They just turned the cameras off and burned. him. to. death. They beat him up fierce before. Zero fucking consequences. Court didn't give a fuck.
There is tons of nazis in German police forces. Fuck outta this thread if you even think of pretending we don't have these problems here, Hans.

Yes it is sickening. I've just recently read about this and I still can't believe it.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sorry, but this is simply factually wrong, to quote the Bundeskriminalamt:
"Als Tatverdächtige in Bezug auf Rauschgifthandelsdelikte wurden im Jahr 2018 in rund zwei Drittel der Fälle deutsche Staatsangehörige erfasst. Insbesondere im Bereich des Handels mit Synthetischen Drogen wurde ein großer Anteil von über 80 % deutscher Staatsangehöriger registriert. Dagegen überwogen bei den Handelsdelikten mit Kokain nichtdeutsche Tatverdächtige."

translated:
"Two-thirds of the suspects for drug selling in 2018, were of German nationality. Especially in the area of selling synthetic drugs more than 80% of suspects had a German citizenship. For the sale of cocaine the majority of suspects was not German. (It was 58 to 42% there)
Source: https://www.bka.de/SharedDocs/Downl...undeslagebildZ.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2 (page 15)

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yup it's an issue here and everywhere. But the big difference is certainly in police brutality. While you can still get racially profiled here, at least it's fairly unlikely you get shot to death.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This is very eye opening, I've learned about two of these cases in the last few days but this hasn't been reported on a large scale. All the deaths in that Twitter thread are shocking and senseless but the shooting deaths especially are shocking to me. German cops are still cops with all that entails but I never saw them as trigger happy.

Goes to show you that you need to dig deeper on your own and that you cannot trust the media on these issues. Makes me reflect on the "our cops are shit but they are so much better than the cops in your country" arguments I've made in the last couple of years, even on this forum. I've had more problems with the fact how the police are deployed and how violently they combat far left protests and actions compared to the rising alt right and far right threat than I've had with how they operate.

Police work will always attract fascists and racists but the attempts at covering these incidents up and the lack of charges against the people involved just sickens me. This really is the exact same shit that is happening in the US, the only difference being that there is no sizeable black population to oppress and harrass.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017

See that's what I want to believe and it's pretty much the same thing that I've said on this forum in the past but the OP and the twitter thread in question make a point that is hard to deny. For me it becomes systematic and institutionalized oppression when racist incidents happen and they are swept under the rug and not properly prosecuted which seems to be exactly what is happening here.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
It's good to see that this is being faced in more places than just America. The police need to be held accountable for their actions in general. I'm tired of seeing people being murdered by law enforcement and then watch them get away with it. I'm tired of people making lame ass excuses to defend the police. Enough is enough with this shit. Time for change.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
My interest was piqued, especially in the light of current events. I can't comment on the racial angle, but if you compare this to USA's numbers ...

Dm73OLg.png

www.dw.com

Police violence is a real thing in Germany – DW – 05/15/2017

A report in Tageszeitung has found an average of about 10 fatal police shootings in Germany per year. Many of the people killed were experiencing psychological episodes.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
I think acab is one of the least controversial statement there is, it's insane that they are allowed to unionize in the U.S

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was indeed a good one. Emily Maitlis, as good as her monologue was re. Dom Cummings, just looked hopelessly out of depth on this matter here.

Dave at the Brits was bang on the money when he said, during his performance, "the least racist is still racist".

It's pretty pathetic how many try to ignore Britain's history of white supremacy. I mean, we don't even have to look to the past. We just last year elected this man:

But we must hope, for the sake of candour and common sense, that he does not blame Britain, or colonialism, or the white man. The continent may be a blot, but it is not a blot upon our conscience. The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge any more.

You would need a heart of stone not to have been moved by the little Aids-ridden choristers.

^ About Africa and Africans.

www.spectator.co.uk

The Boris archive: Africa is a mess, but we can't blame colonialism

This article was published in The Spectator on 2 February 2002 by Boris Johnson, the new Foreign Secretary and former editor of the magazine. You would need a heart of stone not to have been moved by the little Aids-ridden choristers. We sat under a mango tree, before a dancing-space of packed...

What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies.

Just to quote a few of his past statements. So yeah, George is right. It's pretty pathetic that people need to be educated about their own history and country, particularly when there have already been movements and efforts to bring these issues to the forefront.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do we have donation links for European countries like those that are posted everywhere for the US? I'd rather donate to tackling problems here as the US already gets an outsized amount of attention that obscures abuses elsewhere.

Germany's racism problem is rather notorious, de-nazification couldn't scrub every corner and going from 100% to the current low support for Nazis was already a huge success but we must remain vigilant as they will always return, they will always seek positions of power and they will always abuse those positions. The police and military must be regularly screened and investigated to find the Nazis. And of course there's a lot of more subtle racism than outright Nazis. The average German still carries a lot of prejudices and hate, not "gas all Jews" level but enough to make us act worse towards minorities and that accumulates to the same structural shitshow that we see surface in the US. Holding minorities down through constant worse reactions, be it for police behavior, job interviews, rental offers, whatever. Anything that requires personal judgement is quickly tainted by prejudices even if it's not a conscious act.

We mustn't be complacent just because the US looks so much worse now. That doesn't mean we're fine, it just means we're not quite at the bottom yet.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty pathetic how many try to ignore Britain's history of white supremacy. I mean, we don't even have to look to the past. We just last year elected this man:.
Exactly. An opportunistic shit-stain of a Prime Minister who abdicates any and all responsibility for any of the crap he's written/said in the past. Still hasn't apologised for the burqa/letterbox quip for one. Problem is that the culture runs across the current crop of politicians in Parliament.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Just for perspective: Each year, between 150 and 170 people die while in arrest or custody in Germany.
The death of (not mentioned in OP/Tweet) Jaber al-Bakr in 2016 prompted an investigation of the Parliament about the number of deaths while in custody:

Stats of deaths while in custody and/or prison: 1998-2016
Todesfälle in Haft, Polizeigewahrsam und Sicherungsverwahrung

The deaths mentioned in the OP occurred over a timespan of 21 years:
Aamir Ageeb - 1999
Achidi John - 2001
Oury Jalloh - 2005
Laya-Alama Conde - 2005
Hussam Fadl - 2016
Rooble Warsame - 2019
William Tonou-Mboda - 2019

Last edited:

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This is horrible and a despicable behavior. It's insane to think people are getting away with this(murder) so easily(to think it might be because the man that died was a person of color is even more upsetting). How can only be the doctor be prosecuted when the police was behind the murder instead? The last case is also unbelievable, even if the attacker had a knife, it's no reason to shoot him 4 times, there is normally a rule in the military and of course this should count for police as well, where you aren't allowed to attack someone, unless he or she attacks first and even if, then you need to respond with equal force at most. Shooting someone with a knife in hand to death is NOT equal force.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
there is normally a rule in the military and of course this should count for police as well, where you aren't allowed to attack someone, unless he or she attacks first and even if, then you need to respond with equal force at most. Shooting someone with a knife in hand to death is NOT equal force.
That rule exists for everybody in Germany (also you're supposed to warn your target before shooting to give them time to surrender) but with a sufficiently racist person in charge they might just decide that this was justified anyway.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to downplay the deaths but she makes it out as this is happening every other week, when in fact it isn't (see other posters post).

Germany isn't the US, our cops are not as fucked up
Heck, the other day there was just a video showing how someone spat on a police men and punched him and eventually even ran away without them even doing anything:

Yeah, there are some bad sheep. I was racially profiled all the time with the lamest excuses (grew up near the Dutch border, lots of drug traffic). But calling out all German cops like this is just crazy.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There is obviously institutionalized racism in the german police system but it's much more complicated and subtle in its symptoms. You can't just shoehorn the same BLM protest onto Germany because the racism in our system is just as much happening against other ethnicities and that is a nuanced but quite important distinction to make.

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know a bunch of german cops which are for the most part super nice, educated and open minded people. But two of them are some real despicable rascist assholes which are super ready to beat down anyone who as much as looks at them.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
26 years ago in my hometown Hanover, Germany someone from the police shot the young kurdish teeanger Halim Dener, who put up pro-kurdish posters. The police men got a not guilty verdict. Supposedly the gun fired accedently and hit Halim in the back while the police men tried to arrest him on the ground.

They still do demonstrations from time to time in Remembrance and to highlight police violence in Germany.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
In Germany we had an high entry point for getting into the police. I know a guy, who needed two tries to get into the police academy. But he told me, that because of the refugee crises, they lowered the barrier later and many alt-right organization told there members to join the police. He is afraid of this new recruits, since they may cause trouble and put him into danager.