• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Shaun King has been accused in the past of not being transparent with the funds he has raised for various social justice causes.

Here's the wikipedia entry on some of the criticism.

Fundraising controversies
King has been the target of claims that he has previously raised funds for causes that were never received by those he was fundraising for. According to BuzzFeed News, he founded an organization called Justice Together, which he raised several thousand dollars for, and then abruptly shuttered.[77] He started a different organization a few months later called "Justice. That's All." that he also closed a few months after founding. In one case, a former member of the organization who asked to have donation returned said that King refused to refund her money.[78] An investigation done by Goldie Taylor of The Daily Beast detailed discrepancies in amounts raised for different charities such as a Haiti relief project, and in one case, starting a crowdfunding project for the family of Tamir Rice without their knowledge.[79] Activists on Twitter questioned if he took the $100,000 reward money for information that led to the arrest of the men who shot Jazmine Barnes.[80]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_King#cite_note-Wapo-Jan2019-80

He started trending in January over a dispute he had with several activist on twitter, where he threatened to sue them for claiming he stole money in the fundraiser for Cyntoia Brown. He was also accused of being misogynistic and a bully towards young queer black women. We had a thread on that.

www.resetera.com

Shaun King is getting destroyed on Twitter rn

Shaun King is trending and being called out for exploiting BLM and other movements for his own gain. Also using his Twitter to encourage the harassment and doxing of a black queer woman and threatening legal action against her.

He responded with a full report today.

Since the #BlackLivesMatter Movement began, I've helped raise over $34.5 million for families, charities, causes, & campaigns.

A 7 person expert review board inspected every penny - including the past 5 years of my tax returns.

Their 72 page report...https://medium.com/@shaunkingfinancialreivewboard/shaun-king-financial-report-318661d97125 …

1*VaJWd-wpGxx5dKTH4PlysA.jpeg

This report was authored by Tamika Mallory, Co-Chair of The Women's March and Co-Founder of Justice League NYC; Becky Bond, partner at The Social Practice; Tiffany Hawkins and Allan Boomer, financial experts with Momentum Advisors; Rob Smith, attorney and executive for The Justice Collaborative; David Mitrani, attorney for Sandler Reiff; and Lee Merritt, civil rights attorney — with the support of CPA and tax attorney Richard Bell.

In short, we find absolutely no evidence that Shaun has ever inappropriately accessed any funds that he has raised. We searched and we asked. Not one single family, charity, cause or campaign said Shaun was ever compensated, directly, or indirectly, for his online fundraising. In fact, it appears that with the exception of his compensation through Real Justice PAC, Shaun has received zero compensation for the fundraising he promoted. The exhaustive documentation to substantiate our findings, including every statement from every family and attorney, can be found below.

— Financial Review Board

He talks about it in episode 86 of his podcast: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-north-star/the-breakdown-with-shaun-king

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Peddling racist conspiracy theories, accumulated infractions.
He's the white guy pretending to be black right?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to make of him anymore. I kinda believe that he gets no money from it, but that 160k is probably true. And if it is, no big deal! He has to live and doing all that stuff is costing him money (because he could be doing something else).

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Well damn, that seems exhaustive. Dunno about that post above though but I don't think that many reputable people would lie for this dude publicly.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the amount of transparency he provided with this. unfortunately it won't stop people from choosing their own "facts" based on......well not entirely sure except for nebulous "rumblings". shit, one twitter check mark and it all goes up in smoke for some people.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
In short, we find absolutely no evidence that Shaun has ever inappropriately accessed any funds that he has raised. We searched and we asked. Not one single family, charity, cause or campaign said Shaun was ever compensated, directly, or indirectly, for his online fundraising.

This is either true, or it isn't true. If its true, then you (King's critics) gotta shut up forever. If it ain't, then someone should be around to speak up and say that it isn't. I never really know what to make of King, save to say that superheroes only exist in comic books and I don't trust him anymore than anyone else. Don't even follow him on Twitter. He draws attention to certain issues that need attention, and that's about all I can say on him.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
wait? did he just show us the receipts?

And how.

I'm not sure about King. At times his motives appear to be sincere but other times I get a feeling about him.

I'm sure that someday, someone will drum up video evidence of him running over a dog or something and that will completely invalidate the 32.5 million dollars he's raised over the years.

No one is asking you to be his friend people, just listen to what he has to say. Geeze.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is either true, or it isn't true. If its true, then you (King's critics) gotta shut up forever. If it ain't, then someone should be around to speak up and say that it isn't. I never really know what to make of King, save to say that superheroes only exist in comic books and I don't trust him anymore than anyone else. Don't even follow him on Twitter. He draws attention to certain issues that need attention, and that's about all I can say on him.
thank you for taking a bold stance

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
thank you for taking a bold stance

My "stance" is that i don't trust him enough to follow him or RT him, thanks to articles I've read on how crap he is as a leader. But I recognize he has his uses as a signal booster and other people RTing him have clued me in on things I wouldn't have otherwise known. Still...lmao. Look bruh. This ain't climate change. I don't need a "bold" stance. I'm not sure why ya'll be rushing to be wrong all the time by having strong stances on shit that you then wind up either backpedaling or doubling down on if it turns out not to be true. That quoted statement is a bold claim, and it's either true or its not. IF it isn't, someone should (and presumably will) speak out and say otherwise.

Essentially:

Yeah that is I feel about him, he firmly in the "ok....i guess" territory

Yeah, this.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're a fool if you think he isn't a hall of fame grifter.

He literally starts a new organization every X amount of months, raises a bunch of money for it, and then quietly shuts it down. I know this because I've been on his email list for years.

Give it up deelishes!

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is HopeMob part of his fundraising campaign efforts? Seems like a separate thing he co-founded.

The highlights mainly mention he didn't get a penny from family charities , causes and online campaigns?

Reading ain't important for twitter ownage. Shaun annoys me a lot and often comes in way too quickly before facts are developed, but the struggle Twitter personalities going at him are worse.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is fair. I did like him outing the White Supremacists at rallies, but, I don't blame anybody for thinking he's a grifter either. I feel like he can be placed in the "net good" category.
There are a lot of people I will not stan for or stand in the way of. But I will fight anybody that quections his blackness, I don't play that shit at all from anybody.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This dude has been in people's crosshairs ever since BLM became the thing to hate in white supremacist alt right circles. I dunno if he actually ever did anything wrong even now.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I've read this thread, as well as various tweets about him over the years, and outside of his apparently ambiguous ethnicity, I still have yet to see what exactly he has done to garner such animosity

OP
OP
Neece

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to identify what the specific objections are from his critics.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
You're a fool if you think he isn't a hall of fame grifter.

He literally starts a new organization every X amount of months, raises a bunch of money for it, and then quietly shuts it down. I know this because I've been on his email list for years.

Give it up deelishes!

This. After being connected to him on social media for years, I started to really take a step back. He kept getting into arguments with other advocates and people I was loosely associated with. He has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. After being connected to him on social media for years, I started to really take a step back. He kept getting into arguments with other advocates and people I was loosely associated with. He has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The man has been unashamedly asking other people for money since he's been walking out the womb

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is I feel about him, he firmly in the "ok....i guess" territory
Yea this is how I feel about him. I say this blow up this morning on Twitter and I was like ok. But one thing the really annoyed me, it seemed like he retweeted every positive tweet about this, my feed was flooded with his retweets of this, it was really annoying he clearly wants everyone to see this.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Said my peace in the Jay-Z thread. Nikkas should really think for themselves and stop looking to social prophets who only care about profits.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
My problem with critics of Shaun King never have any receipts. They just have allegations. And if he were stealing from victims families this would be easy to prove and easy to get people to speak about it. It would also ruin him.

He does well to signal boost issues and the impression I get from him is that he gueniely cares about these issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I brought up in the other thread that how he had set up and funneled donations was at the very least extremely irresponsible, though there was never any solid proof of actual irregularities. He absolutely comes off as a grifter, and absolutely only got the attention this has because of opposition research by people who wanted to discredit him and Black Lives Matters by extension.

Given how much of this is just wrapped up in personal politics, feels like the safest option is to just find another more verifiably trustworthy place to donate your coin, and push back against the people who use this stuff as a way of trying to ignore the racial issues that he has done his part to highlight.

The simplest answer to whether to buy this panel of experts is whether this document is authentic. If it is, then the panel completely failed at their job and their entire conclusion is irrelevant. I don't trust random Twitter users I have no experience with, but I'm never going to credibly trust an "independent" group of people who were solicited by the person they were supposed to investigate.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The charity thing should be pretty straightforward. If he founded an actual charity their 990 financials are all public which includes administration payments and new projects. Hell I have all 2018 990s on my laptop right now.

Oct 25, 2017
The charity thing should be pretty straightforward. If he founded an actual charity their 990 financials are all public which includes administration payments and new projects. Hell I have all 2018 990s on my laptop right now.

The 990 linked in Twitter above is corroborated by this copy from the Foundation center: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/273/273204358/273204358_201312_990.pdf

I'm terrible with IRS stuff and the EIN on IRS' site is pulling up an earlier Haiti charity started by Shaun King, not HopeMob.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So did hr raise 34 million for ---- or no?

Thats more than ive done.

But my post count dwarfs his.