• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So wait, this is the March issue, but it releases in February, which is Black History Month. So does the February issue at least deal with subject matter suitable for Black History Month?

Regardless, the fact that things like this keep happening blows my mind. It makes no sense to me that anyone would do this intentionally, but then it makes just as little sense that these people would be stupid enough to do it by mistake.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
A "series" huh? I'll believe this shit wasn't malicious if the other profiles actually come out. I wonder if they'll be fluff pieces like this nonsense.
I doubt this being their BHM/March issue was just an oversight, they knew this would get the publicity.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it wasn't during Black History Month, why the fuck even write this? "High school kid eats shitty high school food, likes Trump and vaping". Who in the world besides the boy's mother would find this remotely interesting?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least we got the trolling out the way early today so I don't spend the whole day waiting for the shoe to drop. Fuck Esquire.
The cover is the very definition of waiting for the dropping of a shoe.

Even if it wasn't during Black History Month, why the fuck even write this? "High school kid eats shitty high school food, likes Trump and vaping". Who in the world besides the boy's mother would find this remotely interesting?
The economically anxious who have been told that the next generation of Americans are all scared Liberals waiting for their turn to sell out their country. This article just shows that the kids are alright. The non-story IS the story.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I thought this was going to be like the amusing Allegra Coleman thing where they made up an It Girl as satire, but no, it's just the most horrible editorial decisions imaginable crossed with the worst writing in the world. Magic.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the article:

"Ryan gets a tray with a softball-sized pile of mashed potatoes, sliced apples, a carton of milk, and two wrinkled chicken nuggets. Lunch lasts twenty-five minutes, but Ryan finishes his food in about five, so he and I take off. We walk down hallways with speckled terrazzo floors and cinder-block walls covered with colorful murals, plaques with inspirational quotes, and rows of burgundy lockers. We go to the library and sit at a small wooden table in a bright study room carved into the back wall like a cove. Girls are lying on nearby couches, talking about vaping. "

The piece goes on to say: "Ryan, raised in Republican households, was surprised by the vitriol. 'Everyone hates me because I support Trump?' he says. 'I couldn't debate anyone without being shut down and called names. Like, what did I do wrong?'"

Such struggle.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every quote of the article in this thread legit sounds like an Onion article.

Amazing that there are people defending this.

Even if this weren't Black History Month it would still be some stupid Trump sympathizer nonsense.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Should it? Let's review.

"How could they publish this during black history month?" is an asinine complaint. It's the March issue. Hits subscribers today, won't see newstands for a good bit- but is meant to be MARCH'S issue, not February's. And Esquire doesn't publish a February issue and hasn't for a while. How many other publications do you know that put their Black History Month content in the March issue? And before you say anything, publishing weeks earlier than the cover month IS standard practice for US publications.

second: not one single person before I did noted that this was not a standalone piece, but one of a series, and Esquire WILL be publishing similar pieces on the Black, Female, and LGBTQ experience before it completes. it's meant to reference a similar piece they did in 1992, which highlighted a day in the life of a ten year old boy- only more expansive.

Third: Esquire isn't in the business of writing Trump friendly puff pieces- that's not their audience. Conservatives wouldn't be caught reading it any more than they would be caught subscribing to Ebony magazine. It's left of center, and the politics section WILDLY so.

Fourth: Esquire has no issue with putting black men (it is a men's magazine) on their cover- there were 8 regular issues last year, two of them had black headliners on the cover. The same for 2017, and 2016. The implication that they're tone deaf on race issues doesn't hold up.

I rarely have to call out "outrage culture" but the majority of complaints in this thread are off base.
So much outrage. My 40-year-old, black, liberal ass thought the article was interesting. /shrug

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Should it? Let's review.

"How could they publish this during black history month?" is an asinine complaint. It's the March issue. Hits subscribers today, won't see newstands for a good bit- but is meant to be MARCH'S issue, not February's. And Esquire doesn't publish a February issue and hasn't for a while. How many other publications do you know that put their Black History Month content in the March issue? And before you say anything, publishing weeks earlier than the cover month IS standard practice for US publications.

second: not one single person before I did noted that this was not a standalone piece, but one of a series, and Esquire WILL be publishing similar pieces on the Black, Female, and LGBTQ experience before it completes. it's meant to reference a similar piece they did in 1992, which highlighted a day in the life of a ten year old boy- only more expansive.

Third: Esquire isn't in the business of writing Trump friendly puff pieces- that's not their audience. Conservatives wouldn't be caught reading it any more than they would be caught subscribing to Ebony magazine. It's left of center, and the politics section WILDLY so.

Fourth: Esquire has no issue with putting black men (it is a men's magazine) on their cover- there were 8 regular issues last year, two of them had black headliners on the cover. The same for 2017, and 2016. The implication that they're tone deaf on race issues doesn't hold up.

I rarely have to call out "outrage culture" but the majority of complaints in this thread are off base.
Bravo.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't with this article:

WHAT IS THIS?? LIKE SERIOUSLY HOW COULD YOU PUBLISH THIS SHIT???

His mother sounds like someone that would blame a woman for getting raped or act like they're making it up for attention.
Lmao. What a trash ass article. It's almost bad enough for me to think it's bait to get outrage and more eyes on the magazine.

Idc if they're doing pieces on black or LGBT people, if this represents the level of quality they're aiming for then no one should bother with it.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Onion is so mad everyone copped their whole gimmick.

It's hard to believe it's real.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If I'm not giving it too much credit here, it seems like the reactions of outrage to this article are possibly what it's intending to provoke. Possibly as meta commentary on how straight white men can often want to make everything about themselves regardless of what people with different experiences are going through.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
So can someone clue me in here cause I'm just not getting it. What's so offensive about this? It's a March issue of a magazine featuring a white kid. Granted it's a complete shit article but why are we up in arms about It? I'm genuinely really confused here.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So can someone clue me in here cause I'm just not getting it. What's so offensive about this? It's a March issue of a magazine featuring a white kid. Granted it's a complete shit article but why are we up in arms about It? I'm genuinely really confused here.

It's a combination of the subject matter and the treatment. There's value in documenting the lives of less-than-incredible people, but the article almost exclusively focuses on this kid's grievances and frames them as if his life is defined by the hardship, struggle, and prejudice of...sometimes having to gut wild game to eat it when recreationally hunting. It's like if the writer was told to document a story of struggle against adversity in middle America but could only manage to set up an interview with some unremarkable kid who lives a pretty nice life in suburban Wisconsin before the deadline was up. Just look at how the photographer documented the subject. Nearly every shot is brooding, stilted, and ambiguous. The pull quotes seem to be trying to imply some depth to the commentary by and surrounding this kid that just isn't there.

I ain't got nothing against this boy. In fact, he and I probably have a lot in common in our upbringing. But the article is just overbearing with artificial sentiment, offers no unique insight, and makes everyone involved look like shit.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
It's a combination of the subject matter and the treatment. There's value in documenting the lives of less-than-incredible people, but the article almost exclusively focuses on this kid's grievances and frames them as if his life is defined by the hardship, struggle, and prejudice of...sometimes having to gut wild game to eat it when recreationally hunting. It's like if the writer was told to document a story of struggle against adversity in middle America but could only manage to set up an interview with some unremarkable kid who lives a pretty nice life in suburban Wisconsin before the deadline was up. Just look at how the photographer documented the subject. Nearly every shot is brooding, stilted, and ambiguous. The pull quotes seem to be trying to imply some depth to the commentary by and surrounding this kid that just isn't there.

I ain't got nothing against this boy. In fact, he and I probably have a lot in common in our upbringing. But the article is just overbearing with artificial sentiment, offers no unique insight, and makes everyone involved look like shit.

Yeah for sure the article is absolute trash. I get everything you're saying here. I just don't see how that translates to racism. If the magazine was the February edition I could understand why people would be upset but as it is now the article comes off as tone deaf at most considering everything going on right now.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot imagine this is being done with sincerity.

Just in this paragraph alone you have a link between domestic violence and the NFL with no comment on how bad NFL players are about this. Ryan has absolutely no reflection on why the rules have changed and no empathy for the players. I understand he's 17 years old, but when I was 17 I was curious about the world and how it worked. This author is being disingenuous for this entire story. I can't help but be astonished this was published. Like what the fuck is this.

The intention is obvious they found a 17 year old to express all the baby boomer talking points about the soft generation, the snowflake generation so they can pass this off as the stance of the average "real" American

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The intention is obvious they found a 17 year old to express all the baby boomer talking points about the soft generation, the snowflake generation so they can pass this off as the stance of the average "real" American

I'm thinking the family of the boy must be in the same social circle as some of the editors or owners of the magazine, and they wanted them to do an article on him for reasons. It'd be great if its revealed the author decided to do a low key Onion article on the subject to troll the magazine. lol

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Damn this got me, especially the comments here. I had to stop reading you guys were making me laugh too hard.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Has "Debate me" become a meme yet? It may as well be the mantra for budding mediocre conservatives, thanks Ben Shapiro

The best part of the Waypoint lore discussions of Kingdom Hearts so far is where they decide Xehanort is the ultimate centrist and it ends with a mocking "debate me" from Austin and a really monotone "change my mind" from Patrick.

This shit is a meme.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So much outrage. My 40-year-old, black, liberal ass thought the article was interesting. /shrug
If you actually thought the article was interesting I have no idea what to tell you. I almost choked on my sandwich reading it, I was laughing so hard. If your idea of interesting is reading what basically amounts to a NotTheOnion style phrases in between what essentially is a profile fluff piece then more power to you. I kinda agree in a way, I need more laughter in my life.

I'm sure the subject of this piece does- and while I don't think it's a particularly compelling piece, I think it's off base to consider it in a vacuum without the other three parts of the piece that we know are coming. How does what THIS guy believe compare and contrast to the Black experience- not a hypothetical one, but an actual 17 year old Black Boy? 32 year old Woman? Non Binary Individual?

I'll reserve judgement on the merit of the piece until it's complete. As for the criticism that the editor/author chose to compliment the kid as unusually intelligent, courageous, what have you- this kid from middle of nowhere red state land willingly chose to be the cover story of a left leaning publication whose readership hates Trump and everyone who voted for him. He had to know the reaction wouldn't have been sympathetic no matter what month it ran in. For a 17 year old, yeah that takes some balls even IF the kid is a bit of a tone deaf idiot.

If National Review, Washington Times, or American Conservative came knocking on my door to profile me on the Black Liberal Experience I'd run the other way as fast as I could. Kudos to this kid for giving Esquire a shot to profile him honestly.

as for those reading the articles- "many of the subscribers" are left leaning coastal elites who would sooner call this kid out as a Trump loving asshole as most of this thread is long before they identify with him. Because that's who subscribes to Esquire. That magazine spends absolutely NO time pandering to the interests of flyover country and doesn't bother disguising that they aren't it's audience.

If you "don't like to read" spotlight articles, then subscribing to a magazine that does long form fiction and cultural spotlight articles would be a bit bewildering, wouldn't it? Esquire isn't Maxim.
First, your defense of Esquire's werid decision does make sense on the surface. After all, magazines work like that, and not many here considered that they don't publish in February at all. But deciding to put the bland Trump supporter on the cover of the March issue as the first in a series of other pieces, when you know that subscribers will get their issue in February? It still doesn't look right to me, the editors had to have known the optics on this sort of thing and it looks like a calculated move for controversy, especially when they're holding the other profile pieces in their hand.

I'm also curious to your answer to the, what appears to be, an article trying to defend Weinstein on the same cover. Is this a 'typical' Esquire article?

Second, 'costal liberal elites' don't exactly agree with PoC issues (BLM) or trans issues or really anything past their own personal comfort meter of surface level identity politics. Plus there's been a recent push back on said identity politics even in the Democratic sphere. Got friends up in SV who can tell you that.

And as to your final point, I find it hard to agree with you that the kid is brave for doing a profile piece that portrays him in such a positive light. Assuming of course the woman who wrote this piece actually means what they say and aren't doing some sort of 4th dimensional satire piece on everyone. Also, and I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it does, he doesn't sound intelligent enough to know Esquire and their readership before accepting. But I'm just going off the article so who knows...

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"Ryan spent $300 on the latest Yeezys, and was heartbroken he couldn't wear them to the Travis Scott concert due to fear of social alienation. "It's just, you know, why is everyone hating on Kanye, you know?", he said as he somberly vaped. "The dude just wants to make America great and now everyone wants to lynch him." "Cancel culture has gone too far", Ryan says as he sadly asks Alexa to play "Sicko Mode"."

- Cut bit from this article.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok seriously someone fucking tell me if this is satire or not cause the author literally fucking criticizes the dumbass and contradicts him in the piece itself. I'm rereading it a second time and this:
(Later, I look up the tweets. Gunn said worse than what the boys mentioned, including, "I fucked the shit out of the little pussy boy sitting next to me!" And Hader, who was actually seventeen and eighteen when he sent his controversial tweets, used the n-word repeatedly and made an allusion to "white power." One tweet read, "I hate gay people." Another read, "Need a bitch that can fuck, cook, clean right.")
I must have skimmed right past that shit. And she called him brave? He's a fucking moron! It's like she's mocking him.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for sure the article is absolute trash. I get everything you're saying here. I just don't see how that translates to racism. If the magazine was the February edition I could understand why people would be upset but as it is now the article comes off as tone deaf at most considering everything going on right now.
There is no February edition, so for all intents and purposes this is it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what insight about a divided country they are trying to glean from a kid with so little to lose and so limited a sense of what 'a divided country' actually means. If you asked him what he thinks about school segregation he would answer "wait, schools are segregated?"

We give white people too much initiative to declare when and why the country is divided - the problems are always described in their terms, and "unity" means conforming to them, ignoring how much fuckery they cause to divide people.

Why not ask a LGBT teenager, a Muslim teenager, an immigrant teenager, what their reality of a divided country is? What does their picture of a unified country look like?

Fuck he's not even mature, or intelligent.

He comes off as a dumb fucking kid

Lol at them calling him unusually mature and intelligent.

White privilege is being so average but getting presented as super special

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The author is taking the piss 100%, the excerpt torre_avenue posted is a dead giveaway.

giphy.gif

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Should it? Let's review.

Sadly this will be ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative. As usual.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
For a 17 year old, yeah that takes some balls even IF the kid is a bit of a tone deaf idiot.

You're actually playing up him being in this article as courageous?

Please. This is so fawning and uncritical. The kid is getting fellated as uniquely mature and intelligent even though he's dumb as rocks and literally behaves like the child he is.

Oct 27, 2017
Should it? Let's review.

Great post.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think the way this was written and what it was written about is intentional. The author (who is a woman by the way, not a man like some people were saying earlier in the thread) wants to convey the bland reality of an average white boy. He doesn't have to worry about his gender, his race, or his sexuality. He likes to act like he doesn't speak or know about modern politics, yet is very comfortably engaging with it on social media using alt-right talking points.

Releasing it during Black History Month is trying to show that his "struggles" are incredibly insignificant to actual problems.

Except they're calling him a uniquely intelligent and mature young man.

They're not exposing him. They're propping him up

And I call bs that releasing it now is a progressive statement or something