• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Black Future '88 is a Synth-Punk roguelike 2D action Shooter. Vertically climb an always evolving procedural tower to reach the top and kill its insane owner…before your heart explodes. Shoot, slash, dash and upgrade yourself to survive the endless waves of deadly traps, homicidal AI, crazed junkies and colossal Wardens standing in your way in a stylish alternative version of 1988. The world is reeling from a nuclear cataclysm, created by Duncan, the tower architect. The First of his bombs fell in the summer of 1988, and by December they had blacked-out the sun with endless rain. We decided to stop keeping time after this, and it's been 1988 ever since. Everything that lived through the initial attack will die in the extreme floods that followed. These are the times after, where there are no more months, or even weeks…everything is measured in minutes left to live. Take on the mantle of one of the last remaining misfit survivors, and fight your way to the top of the tower to kill the architect and stop the endless nuclear rain. Ascend to die, and die to survive.

Looks very good:)

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Could be fun, reminds me of another game Nintendo showed in an old direct.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I like it. But the choices for this type of games are so vast it's hard to choose!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a few years ago this would have been amazing looking. Now it feels a bit generic. I hope it turns out great nonetheless.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
Played this at E3 last year and it ended up being my game of the show.

EDIT: Yeah this is probably just a trailer thing, it's definitely coming to PC.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have an announcement press release on hand or are you just assuming it's Switch-only because it's a Switch-specific trailer?

Because it's also coming to PC and PC is not mentioned in that trailer.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
88 is a terrible number to include in a name. At least from the German perspective.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
This looks fantastic. People can say what they want about there being too much of one genre, but if a game has its own unique spin on it, and is a quality game overall, it shouldn't deter its success.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't hugely sold on the Beta, things felt a bit wimpy in practice. They certainly look pretty cool in the trailer, so hopefully just a bad first impression / tweaks have been made, and I admittedly didn't play a ton of it.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Immediately after booting this game on the switch you see one of the biggest issues, the text is too small, and I mean even if I squint real hard small, unbelievable that something like this gets through q&a. Seriously, you can't read any of the upgrade descriptions even with an magnifying glass in handheld mode.

Also the button layout feels cramped on the joycons.

Thing is on PC it probably plays wonderful without these IO issues.

Reminds me of Nuclear Throne, EtG and Bleed. These type of games just don't fit the handheld that well.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I've been struggling with this game for a while, but it's not the game that's frustrating the shit out of me - it's the hardware. The drift in the right stick makes the gun fire, which wastes ammo in the secondary guns and makes some jumps just impossible. I love the Switch, but the joy-cons are just hot garbage. I've picked up two joy-con bundles at $99.99 plus tax Canadian and have zero to show for it as they've all developed absurd amounts of drift.

I don't feel like I can even review this game fairly because of the hardware issues.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I've been struggling with this game for a while, but it's not the game that's frustrating the shit out of me - it's the hardware. The drift in the right stick makes the gun fire, which wastes ammo in the secondary guns and makes some jumps just impossible. I love the Switch, but the joy-cons are just hot garbage. I've picked up two joy-con bundles at $99.99 plus tax Canadian and have zero to show for it as they've all developed absurd amounts of drift.

I don't feel like I can even review this game fairly because of the hardware issues.

It's weird to have to say this at this point in the Switch's life, but Pro Controller.