• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm waiting until the c9 is either clearanced or hits 1500 whichever happens first.

Nov 12, 2017
I have a 49'' TCL 4k TV that cost me maybe $300 not on sale? I'm more then fine with the quality of the picture and use it for my switch + streaming. I'd like to eventually get something like a bigger OLED TV, but that is a move and a thousand-ish dollars away.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just need VRR and low input lag on the cheap, so I'm probably going to have to camp a bit longer.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Still rocking my Sony 930e 65", great TV. Also as someone who's not a PC gamer, the HDMI 2.1 features don't seem highly important to me.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
if anyone can help. I am actually in for a TV and I want to buy one tomorrow.

I am looking for a TV that doesn't go above 1200$ Canadian ( Around 900$ US ? )

I am looking at the Sony X900F, X850G and TCL 6 Series.

I know many people will say go with the 900F but I am a guy who really loves IPS screens ( same goes for my Asus 2k IPS 144htz monitor ). at least in monitors, I can't stand the VA panels . yet they all keep raving about the 900F.

I am also someone who is OCD to backlight bleeding and dead pixels. I can't sleep at night if I saw a dead pixel. or there are different gradients of gray on the screen when it display a gray solid color image .

if someone has an opinion please share it ? and no I will not buy an OLED TV even if it was a 200$. I will not live in paranoid zone fearing the hud of a COD game stuck on my screen in few months / year because of spending too much time playing.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed its and LG C9 55",in the UK most places have them for about £1400, hopefully I can get it on interest free credit, in fact I'm going to have a look at them tomorrow, unsure if the prices will drop anymore, even by Black Friday though

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Last year I got a 55 inch Samsung NU6900 for the bedroom for either $300 or $400 I forget. Great TV for the price, theyl probably have a similar deal again.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Fingers crossed its and LG C9 55",in the UK most places have them for about £1400, hopefully I can get it on interest free credit, in fact I'm going to have a look at them tomorrow, unsure if the prices will drop anymore, even by Black Friday though

I'd be suprised, the RRP is £2500, so I don't think they'll go much lower.

the B8 dropped to about£900 just before the B9 was launched in a couple of places, so that is probably a pattern that would occur again if the same 10 series models are following the same pricing structure too

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I know many people will say go with the 900F but I am a guy who really loves IPS screens ( same goes for my Asus 2k IPS 144htz monitor ). at least in monitors, I can't stand the VA panels . yet they all keep raving about the 900F.

I am also someone who is OCD to backlight bleeding and dead pixels. I can't sleep at night if I saw a dead pixel. or there are different gradients of gray on the screen when it display a gray solid color image .

if someone has an opinion please share it ? and no I will not buy an OLED TV even if it was a 200$. I will not live in paranoid zone fearing the hud of a COD game stuck on my screen in few months / year because of spending too much time playing.

If you want IPS go with this

For being an IPS TV, it's pretty good AND it has HDMI 2.1. If it's a little too expensive you can go with the SM9000 which is pretty similar (also HDMI 2.1.) but not as bright.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sm9000

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you just need a cheepo tv, I would not buy this year if you aren't getting the C9 with 2.1. Next year we will get more 2.1 with better deals.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in bestbuy Looking for a 4K "gaming" monitor/ small tv to replace this crap dell I have and I'm seriousLy wondering why I don't just buy a Big ass tv instead

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

IPS is like nightmare fuel for HDR, which is why it's not really used in premium TV displays because of IPS glow + plus FALD. You'll see this mentioned in reviews for LG's TV LCD panels.

PC monitor world is a little bit of a mess because of it.

It gets much better with more zones, I think some of the very best displays have 500+ zones on a relatively small screen.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not taking the 4K leap until PS5. I'll go whole hog 4K HDR with whatever tech I need for that 3D sound they were advertising.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Waiting for HDMI 2.1 and next-gen consoles to jump in on 4K. Right now I'm fine rocking my 2011 Samsung D6500 1080p plasma.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a 55" Philips OLED back in May... It was pricey (around £1500), but goddamn, it's the best purchase I've ever made. Ambilight is the tits, and the picture quality on it is absolutely unreal. The only thing that's given me a twinge of buyer's remorse is that there's a newer model on sale for £1099 at the minute which has Dolby Vision as well as HDR10, but I'm ok with that.

I just wish they'd start making 40" OLEDs - I want one in my games room but I've not got space for a 55" :(

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the big fuss about HDMI 2.1? What will that allow me to do that my LG OLED right now can't?

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
Tbh was looking forward to Black Friday, but it seems all the sets are pretty much priced down now. Ended up picking up the Hisense H9F. Absolutely amazing iq considering the price point and branding. But apparently TCL and Hisense have been punching above their weight.

TCL and Hisense make really good TV's. My next tv I buy will be from either of those tv makers. I am hoping next year they have tv's that have HDMI 2.1 with VRR.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Don't buy OLED if you want piece of mind.
I'm going to wait 2020 black friday hoping that CES 2020 will give us nice surprises in LCD department.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
IPS is like nightmare fuel for HDR, which is why it's not really used in premium TV displays because of IPS glow + plus FALD. You'll see this mentioned in reviews for LG's TV LCD panels.

PC monitor world is a little bit of a mess because of it.

It gets much better with more zones, I think some of the very best displays have 500+ zones on a relatively small screen.
I was able to find a good used 65 inch tv X900F in good condition ( has like a small scratch on the screen but not visible for 800$ Canadian which is like 550$ US )

Grabbed that and I said fuck it .
So far so good I guess

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
OLEDs aren't for everyone. Be mindful of the room and time you'll be watching/ playing in, OLEDs aren't necessarily the best in bright rooms. My parents bought an OLED for their living room and ended up exchanging it for a high-end Samsung LED because they watch movies and TV during the weekends during the afternoon and their room gets a ton of sunlight.

I have a C8 and it's incredible, if you do use it mostly at night or in a dark room they are incredible, but definitely something to keep in mind.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can pick up the C9 on sale. That is THE gaming TV. Best display device that ever crossed the threshold of my house.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Should I pick up a 65" Q70R for 1200€? Since the Q80R in Europe is just the Q70R with wider viewing angles, I don't think it's worth the extra.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
OLEDs aren't for everyone. Be mindful of the room and time you'll be watching/ playing in, OLEDs aren't necessarily the best in bright rooms. My parents bought an OLED for their living room and ended up exchanging it for a high-end Samsung LED because they watch movies and TV during the weekends during the afternoon and their room gets a ton of sunlight.

I have a C8 and it's incredible, if you do use it mostly at night or in a dark room they are incredible, but definitely something to keep in mind.
This is one thing I wonder about. We currently have a KS9000 and I worry that upgrading to an OLED might feel like a downgrade in terms of brightness (especially when comparing my TV with something like a C9 using rtings' brightness review section)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,
I was hoping to ask for some help figuring out what kind of TV to get. I know very little about TVs. I did see another thread saying don't buy a TV on Black Friday because crappier models are more heavily promoted, but it seems like one poster in that thread has a good point that if you already have a good TV in mind you can avoid that issue.

So, our current TV since 2012 is this Samsung 26" set.

We don't have any 4K hardware, just an Xbox One and a Switch so I'm assuming we only need to upgrade to 1080 and not 4K. Even a bump to 1080 and a larger TV should be world's better to our eyes.

So given that, I'm hoping not to break the bank. Quality is more important to me than price though since we'd plan to keep this TV for several years. We game just as much as we watch, so I'd like something good for gaming in terms of latency and framedrops. We mostly play Nintendo games and Indies.

I don't know much about OLEDs vs. LEDs but it seems like I should also say our room gets a lot of natural sunlight.

Any advice is most welcome and greatly appreciated! Thanks all.